Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! 21:50 - Feb 9 with 1216 viewsdurham_exile

Resurgent Super U’s under DC head to Harrogate on Saturday to play resurgent Sulphurites led by longest serving EFL manager Simon Weaver.

It should be a cracking match with both teams putting a run together. Of course, we need the points more than Harrogate but they will not want to lose their unbeaten tag in 2024 whilst DC is looking for a fifth game unbeaten for his charges.

Daniel, our man on the ground, has confirmed the pitch is not covered. However, the snow in that part of North Yorkshire was nowhere near as bad as slightly further north where we might have only had a few inches of snow but the snow gates were closed and ploughs have been working hard to get the Trans Pennine routes open.

It has been another busy week at the JCS. Ronny Nelson has gone on loan to Torquay whilst Al-Amin Kazeem has travelled to Galway United on loan.

The Cowleys have joined up again with Lorenzo Dolcetti who worked with them on the south coast. Slowly but surely, they are establishing their team and backroom staff.

Arthur Read is in line for a League Two award after his magnificent free kick at Morecambe.
Now many would argue we should have won last week but as Mick wryly observed he wanted us to avoid defeat. After conceding a two-goal advantage I suppose many would have settled for a draw. The Cowley factor has put 1500 on the gate and next Tuesday we play the Mariners at JCS followed by Accrington. Listening to DC’s outstanding and positive preview on Wednesday he is looking for all 9 points and in truth another 9 points would put safely into mid table and possibly less than 10 points off the play offs. The most important thing however is to keep the unbeaten run going.

Now DC has a decision to make tomorrow. Cameron McGeehan is in line to return following his concussion and I think that Noah Chilvers will be benched to make way for him in an otherwise unchanged team.

I am taking ghughes advice and changing my formation slightly to provide four at the back so 4,2,3,1 it is:

Goodman

Richardson Harbottle Hall Iandolo

Smith Read

Fevrier McGeehan Anderson

Hooper

Subs:
Hornby Wilkinson Edwards Chilvers Akinde Ihionvien Jay

As DC opined it is all about the squad and those finishing the game are just as important as those who start it.

When Kells and Tovide come back it will be very interesting to see the defence and strike partnership.

Early days I know but all three of the loan signings would fit into our team and I am sure that what DC has in mind. Alistair Smith is simply outstanding and is there a better partnership in midfield within League Two than Smith and Read.

No, I am certainly not dismissing Harrogate and neither is DC. He reeled off about 8 of their players that we need to watch. Notably George Thomson, Jack Muldoon, Sam Folarin, Abraham Odoh and Matty Daly all of whom have goals in them.

What it proves is that there are no really poor teams in League Two (except FGR and Sutton!). Or more importantly any team can beat anyone else.

Weather tomorrow will be cloudy 7 degrees Celsius and dry after the last 48 hours of weather everyone will be relieved to hear that.

Crowd should be at least 2,000 tomorrow including 250 from the U’s. Safe journey Noah.
Safe journey to all of the faithful, Enjoy the game.

Oh, and I almost forgot a repeat of last season’s Colchester 3-1 win with Smith, Hopper and McGeehan on the scoresheet. Last year Hornby hit me on the side of the head with a wayward shot in the warm up, no repeat this year Sam!

Up the U’s

Durham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 05:24 - Feb 10 with 1138 viewsghughes11

Thank you Durham.

Team looks spot on I reckon, with Akinde, Chilvers and Edwards coming on in the 2nd half to turn a possible defeat into victory!
[Post edited 10 Feb 5:26]

Poll: What was the main reason for the Col U win versus Carlisle?

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 06:38 - Feb 10 with 1128 viewsdurham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 05:24 - Feb 10 by ghughes11

Thank you Durham.

Team looks spot on I reckon, with Akinde, Chilvers and Edwards coming on in the 2nd half to turn a possible defeat into victory!
[Post edited 10 Feb 5:26]

Once again the expectation is great as we look forward to another DC inspired performance.

Enjoy the game ghughes.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 11:07 - Feb 10 with 1065 viewsdurham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 06:38 - Feb 10 by durham_exile

Once again the expectation is great as we look forward to another DC inspired performance.

Enjoy the game ghughes.

Up the U's

Weather update: much milder today, wall to wall sunshine.

Dry 7 degrees Celsius.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 13:23 - Feb 10 with 1037 viewsWitham

Where is the sun ? Can't see it through the Yorkshire mist !!
Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 14:37 - Feb 10 with 1004 viewsRSCOSWORTH

McGeehan in for injured Read.

Dallison on the bench. Not sure who’s missing from last week.

Poll: How many polls will Leadbelly do this season?

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 15:10 - Feb 10 with 982 viewsburnsieespana

Our strongest bench this season Ibwould submit.
Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 15:50 - Feb 10 with 959 viewswessex_exile

Excellent first half, just not the goal (or two) we deserved.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 16:57 - Feb 10 with 902 viewsCrashBandicoot

Beaten by a late goal, damn it... But at least Sutton & FGR both lost....

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Login to get fewer ads

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 16:59 - Feb 10 with 896 viewswessex_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 15:50 - Feb 10 by wessex_exile

Excellent first half, just not the goal (or two) we deserved.

Wouldn't you believe it, another Goodman blunder, and a well-deserved point dropped. Small consolation that Sutton also lost, and FGR will lose, but we have to take the chances that our first half dominance created. Still, we can put things right on Tuesday night against the fishy folk.

Up the U's

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 17:05 - Feb 10 with 888 viewsCrashBandicoot

We are playing well but our finishing needs work. Is Goodman not in great form and maybe Hornby should be given a try?

Poll: Who would you like as next Us head coach

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 17:09 - Feb 10 with 874 viewsMoor_Pinot

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 16:59 - Feb 10 by wessex_exile

Wouldn't you believe it, another Goodman blunder, and a well-deserved point dropped. Small consolation that Sutton also lost, and FGR will lose, but we have to take the chances that our first half dominance created. Still, we can put things right on Tuesday night against the fishy folk.

They've done well so far with the new management. I am pleased. I expected to lose last week and today but remain positive about staying up.
It's so early yet but clearly a typical piece of our play - conceding very late goals - has not been corrected. The same could be said about taking chances.
But as you say Wessex, no real harm done today, management will be furious and possibly four points this next week could begin to build something more concrete.
We shall see

Moor Pinot

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 21:00 - Feb 10 with 760 viewsdurham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 17:09 - Feb 10 by Moor_Pinot

They've done well so far with the new management. I am pleased. I expected to lose last week and today but remain positive about staying up.
It's so early yet but clearly a typical piece of our play - conceding very late goals - has not been corrected. The same could be said about taking chances.
But as you say Wessex, no real harm done today, management will be furious and possibly four points this next week could begin to build something more concrete.
We shall see

It was good to see Gerry, Mr and Mrs Witham, Keith and a host of other faithful today.

After the disappointment of the defeat and the manner of it I took my sons to a York restaurant.

Now home and more disappointed than angry.

Tuesday night becomes yet another six pointer.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 23:03 - Feb 10 with 719 viewsnoah4x4

I didn’t travel because I hosted a Chinese New Years Eve street party last night and knew that I would never make the quite early CUSA bus and if I did, I would have the hangover from hell (and did).

Apologies to anybody in North Colchester disturbed by our fireworks. Inviting a biker to select the most noisy, most extravagant non-military missiles available made the display memorable, and it was sufficiently spectacular to stop the traffic. Also apologies for the karaoke throbbing until the early hours.

Despite my headache, I managed to listen to I-Follow commentary and up to the 70th minute, we sounded by far the better side against the league’s form team. I was confident of a point on 90 mins, then Goodman loses concentration and spills the ball. Cest la vie.

Encouraged by FGR and Sutton losing, but this next week could be massive.
Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 23:50 - Feb 10 with 709 viewsnoah4x4

Now seen the goal. Time Hornby is given a chance? How many more crucial errors can we tolerate from Goodman?
Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 08:12 - Feb 11 with 670 viewswessex_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 23:50 - Feb 10 by noah4x4

Now seen the goal. Time Hornby is given a chance? How many more crucial errors can we tolerate from Goodman?

I was kind of thinking the same, Goodman does have a tendency to spill the ball, even if most of the time no harm is done. Either that or he needs some Blue Peter sticky-back plastic on his gloves.

Up the U's

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 12:58 - Feb 11 with 613 viewsdurham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 08:12 - Feb 11 by wessex_exile

I was kind of thinking the same, Goodman does have a tendency to spill the ball, even if most of the time no harm is done. Either that or he needs some Blue Peter sticky-back plastic on his gloves.

It's a difficult one.

Goodman had nothing to do during the afternoon.

I'm not condoning spilling the ball but only two weeks ago he saved a penalty to preserve three valuable points.

Yesterday was down to the strikers and attacking midfield players who fluffed their lines.

Even Alastair Smith misplaced one pass and headed over when he should have converted. We should already be tapping Lincoln up that we want to sign him permanently. He is the best midfield player I have seen at this level without doubt.

Up the U's

We had three very presentable chances in the first half.

Durham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 13:10 - Feb 11 with 610 viewsMoor_Pinot

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 12:58 - Feb 11 by durham_exile

It's a difficult one.

Goodman had nothing to do during the afternoon.

I'm not condoning spilling the ball but only two weeks ago he saved a penalty to preserve three valuable points.

Yesterday was down to the strikers and attacking midfield players who fluffed their lines.

Even Alastair Smith misplaced one pass and headed over when he should have converted. We should already be tapping Lincoln up that we want to sign him permanently. He is the best midfield player I have seen at this level without doubt.

Up the U's

We had three very presentable chances in the first half.

Yes, Durham, missing chances and being unable to concentrate for ninety plus minutes remains a U's malaise. The Cowleys can't mend five years of culture in a month but at least in his entirely proper interview DC alluded to both issues and my gut told me that behind closed doors he was angry. Very.

Smith seems too good for our level so I can't fathom Lincoln not wanting him. He gave a very good interview himself too.

It's going to be a very tricky last ten games or so. We remain a poor side with some very decent players but with little confidence. For those like Chilvers and Cooper, Jay even they've known little else throughout their time in the U's first team.

We need Tovide back soon as....

Moor Pinot

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 09:36 - Feb 12 with 493 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 23:50 - Feb 10 by noah4x4

It's a Goodman error for sure, looks like he made a very good save not long before it though, but my issue is more with the defending from the rest of the team at that late stage in the game. Everything was all too easy for Harrogate and poor positioning along with poor attempts at tackles and blocks ultimately led to the shot from which the goal came.

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 11:43 - Feb 12 with 460 viewsdurham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 09:36 - Feb 12 by RSCOSWORTH

It's a Goodman error for sure, looks like he made a very good save not long before it though, but my issue is more with the defending from the rest of the team at that late stage in the game. Everything was all too easy for Harrogate and poor positioning along with poor attempts at tackles and blocks ultimately led to the shot from which the goal came.

Saturday was entirely down to our failure to convert at least one of our 25 shots
There were three very presentable chances. On another day we would have won 3-1.

However Weaver spins it the best team lost.

Gerry remarked during the first half, who is the top seven team and who is the bottom three side.

DC has got them playing some impressive football, passing superb, high press and good wing play.

It is the old argument about the need for a goalscorer.
Arthur Read was missed he is forming an outstanding partnership with Smith.

Tovide and Ihionvien need to play in due course.

Wilkinson gets a midfield gig but I would like to see up top when he comes on.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 12:29 - Feb 12 with 435 viewsRSCOSWORTH

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 11:43 - Feb 12 by durham_exile

Saturday was entirely down to our failure to convert at least one of our 25 shots
There were three very presentable chances. On another day we would have won 3-1.

However Weaver spins it the best team lost.

Gerry remarked during the first half, who is the top seven team and who is the bottom three side.

DC has got them playing some impressive football, passing superb, high press and good wing play.

It is the old argument about the need for a goalscorer.
Arthur Read was missed he is forming an outstanding partnership with Smith.

Tovide and Ihionvien need to play in due course.

Wilkinson gets a midfield gig but I would like to see up top when he comes on.

Up the U's

All positives to take away but at the point in the game where they scored it was 0-0 and two minutes into stoppage time at the end of the match. We're in a relegation battle and I expect more from the players in those dying minutes to protect the point we were currently on course to earn.

- Jay and Wilkinson allow the pass to be played wide too easily in midfield
- Richardson doesn't get tight enough which leaves a simple overlap for Harrogate
- Wilkinson half turns his back and half lifts his leg in a half hearted attempt to block the cross
- Mingi is beaten to the ball allowing the player to get a shot off
- Smith has wandered into no-man's land and possibly blocks Goodman's view

For me it was all too easy at that stage for Harrogate.

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 12:59 - Feb 12 with 421 viewsdurham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 12:29 - Feb 12 by RSCOSWORTH

All positives to take away but at the point in the game where they scored it was 0-0 and two minutes into stoppage time at the end of the match. We're in a relegation battle and I expect more from the players in those dying minutes to protect the point we were currently on course to earn.

- Jay and Wilkinson allow the pass to be played wide too easily in midfield
- Richardson doesn't get tight enough which leaves a simple overlap for Harrogate
- Wilkinson half turns his back and half lifts his leg in a half hearted attempt to block the cross
- Mingi is beaten to the ball allowing the player to get a shot off
- Smith has wandered into no-man's land and possibly blocks Goodman's view

For me it was all too easy at that stage for Harrogate.

RS I haven't studied that fateful moment as forensically as you.

The irony was that we had a chance in added time to added time and that was also missed . Sadly some days it just isn't our day.

I will say that Mingi was poor when he came on as were Jay and Akinde.
What was rather strange was the fact that the 308 faithful were so quiet for much of the game. Even when we were in the ascendancy and peppering the Harrogate goal there was a subdued atmosphere.

Expect the Mariners to be well and truly battered.
I'm going for 6-0. But more of that later.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 13:24 - Feb 12 with 416 viewsMoor_Pinot

Expect a chemical reaction from the Super U's tomorrow with DC as the catalyst! on 12:59 - Feb 12 by durham_exile

RS I haven't studied that fateful moment as forensically as you.

The irony was that we had a chance in added time to added time and that was also missed . Sadly some days it just isn't our day.

I will say that Mingi was poor when he came on as were Jay and Akinde.
What was rather strange was the fact that the 308 faithful were so quiet for much of the game. Even when we were in the ascendancy and peppering the Harrogate goal there was a subdued atmosphere.

Expect the Mariners to be well and truly battered.
I'm going for 6-0. But more of that later.

Up the U's

Ah, Durham wouldn't that be lovely!!
But it can only happen if the players really take on board the message and the frustration so transparently proposed by DC on Saturday evening and that remains to be seen. The patient is sick - long term sick - and it'll take a lot of changes to effect recovery. My faith in this management has never faltered since their Concord days but they cannot do it all alone which is probably the reason for quiet fans on Saturday. Many will have thought we only needed the Cowleys for everything to switch overnight. I understand impatience after these last seasons but the reality is more fundamental and transcends expectations until such time as the team is performing to it's ultimate......for the entirety of the game.

Up the 6-0 one day U's.
(I reckon we might beat Accrington!)

Moor Pinot

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024