Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR 12:23 - Jun 13 with 3020 viewsDanVanDyke

Hi, I've seen a couple of posters on here that live in New Zealand, but are there any that are in Australia?

My wife and I are looking to go to Oz in September and October for our honeymoon and I'm kind of overwhelmed by the sheer size of the place in terms of trying to fit everything in to 3 weeks. We'd fly via Hong Kong into Adelaide and need to finish in Sydney to go home via Tokyo, is there anything that we shouldn't miss out? To complicate matters, she has friends in Adelaide and family in Darwin and would ideally like to visit both! Any help greatly appreciated.
Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 12:59 - Jun 13 with 2994 viewsade_qpr

From Adelaide.
When in Adelaide if you are into wines check the Barossa Valley and McLaren Vale area's. Not my self.
Normally Adelaide oval if into cricket but at the moment they are rebuilding it so will be totally different to normal but the scoreboard, western grandstand and some of the Hill wil stay. Think there may be some Sheffield games etc on if mid to late oct.
A league soccer will start oct go the reds ( Adelaide United ) standard approx L1. They will be playing Asian Champions League game mid or late Sept at Hindmarsh (fighting well above their class now its the quarter finals ) stadium, nice stadium worth a quick look.
Know Darwin is a 3 hour flight from Adelaide but never been there, humidity is high.
If into building's there are still quite a few late 1800's ones still standing especially North Tce.
Avoid Hindley street at night.
Other flights from Ade to Melb 75mins, Sydney 2 hours, Gold Coast 3 hours so is Perth.
have fun

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 13:04 - Jun 13 with 2987 viewsBstokeranger

Despite the name, I actually live in Perth now.

I think anyone visiting for 3 weeks wouldn't include Adelaide or Darwin in their trip as there is a lot more to see elsewhere but i guess if you have friends go visit then needs must.

Be warned it isn't that cheap to fly internally over here. If you have to finish in Sydney then i would head to the east coast as soon as you can as you can probably cover more from there.

What are you looking for, beach weather, nightlife, typical tourist sites?
Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 13:10 - Jun 13 with 2976 viewsOzhoop

I'm in Melbourne and have lived here since 2000. It's definitely worth a long weekend if you can manage it. It's great for food, music, sport, shopping and all the usual tourist type shenanigans.
Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 13:11 - Jun 13 with 2975 viewsGloucs_R

Do the great ocean road from Sydney to Adelaide. This will take you via some spectacular views and you'll also get to see Sydney, Melbourne and Adelaide.

If you dont want to drive then you wont see much, massive country.

Alternatively fly into to Darwin, then fly to cairns, do the great barrier reef and then fly to Uluru (Ayers Rock), stay here for a night then fly down to Sydney.

Poll: Are we staying up?

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 14:19 - Jun 13 with 2929 viewsPommyhoop

Brisbane here
Moved over 6 years ago.Ive gotta shout out for QLD so on your way from Darwin try and drop into Cairns or somewhere up there on the Reef.Youve gotta see it if you come to Oz.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

http://cdn.meme.am/instances/250x250/55039027.jpg
Poll: How much should we sell Eze for. What will we get.

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 14:35 - Jun 13 with 2917 viewsingeminate

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 14:19 - Jun 13 by Pommyhoop

Brisbane here
Moved over 6 years ago.Ive gotta shout out for QLD so on your way from Darwin try and drop into Cairns or somewhere up there on the Reef.Youve gotta see it if you come to Oz.
[Post edited 1 Jan 1970 1:00]

When you are in Sydney recommend the Old Fitzroy pub in Woolloomooloo - brilliant pub and a good one to take the new wife too as well.

Also you can watch the games live at The Cheers bar in Central Sydney so if you can wangle it get down there, there are always a few friendly rangers down there.

If not actually disgruntled, he was far from being gruntled. PG Wodehouse
Poll: Should Jimmy be sacked?

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 15:06 - Jun 13 with 2906 viewsDanVanDyke

Cheers for all the replies guys. I was thinking the same regarding the rellies and friends but I guess if we're gonna travel half way around the world we're duty bound to 'pop in', even though it's the equivalent of them going to Southern Italy on holiday and coming to see us in Newcastle!

We're looking to do a mix of things really, relaxing in luxury for the honeymoon part (I heard Cairns is good for this), sightseeing (want to do Uluru) and general sightseeing. We're really into wine so Barossa Valley sounds good, what's Kangaroo Island like? On the subject of internal flights, is it worth the bus or train? I once travelled through the night from a Rangers game back home on the coach and was suicidal!
Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 15:25 - Jun 13 with 2902 viewsade_qpr

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 15:06 - Jun 13 by DanVanDyke

Cheers for all the replies guys. I was thinking the same regarding the rellies and friends but I guess if we're gonna travel half way around the world we're duty bound to 'pop in', even though it's the equivalent of them going to Southern Italy on holiday and coming to see us in Newcastle!

We're looking to do a mix of things really, relaxing in luxury for the honeymoon part (I heard Cairns is good for this), sightseeing (want to do Uluru) and general sightseeing. We're really into wine so Barossa Valley sounds good, what's Kangaroo Island like? On the subject of internal flights, is it worth the bus or train? I once travelled through the night from a Rangers game back home on the coach and was suicidal!

Massive hint don't fly Tiger airways.
If you have some type of time frame worked out could still pick up cheap flights Virgin the best bet maybe Jetstar ( haven't used them )
Bus is suicidal,
Check out the train especially if you are going Darwin to Adelaide, not certain if it stops for Uluru.
Gloucs idea of the coast road is good Ade to Melb certainly not certain about Melb to Syd. Could hire a car.
KI never been mate has but not in a rush to go back. Expensive on the ferry if you take a car.
Worth doing a Barossa Tour (at least 8 hours) even stay in the area over night. McLaren Vale if you have friends drive down and make a day of it only 45 mins from the city.

If a turtle doesn't have a shell, is he homeless or naked?

Login to get fewer ads

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 15:55 - Jun 13 with 2885 viewsaussiehoop

I'm in Perth.

Never been to Darwin but i've got a cousin backpacking there at the moment... Not really much there at all.

Loads of good ideas on here though. Domestic flights are a bit extortianate at times but all carriers are safe. I've flown Tiger and there wasn't an issue at all (been on much worse in Asia).

If you don't want to stress too much I'd hit the SA wine regions, fly up to the barrier reef and then slowly make your way down to Sydney. Soooo much to see and do, you'd be amazed. There's standard car rental places everywhere so you can obviously pick a car up in one place and drop it off at another. Saves flying and you get to see more of the country.

Regardless of what you end up going for, congratulations pal and I hope you and the missus enjoy it. Good luck
Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 16:23 - Jun 13 with 2878 viewsGloucs_R

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 15:06 - Jun 13 by DanVanDyke

Here is my suggestion

Fly into Darwin - 2 days
Fly down to Cairns - 3 days - Great Barrier Reef
Fly on to Uluru - 2 days - magical
Fly down to Adelaide - 3 days - the city of churches
Drive from Adelaide to Melbourne (Great Ocean Road) - 3 days
Melbourne - 4 days - great fun, lots to do
Fly to Sydney - the rest of the time - my fav city in the world

Be aware that the weather north will be very different to the south
Forget trains and buses, the distance is vast. Sydney to Melbourne is about 800 miles.

Virgin Blue is a low cost airline, reasonable pricing

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 16:28 - Jun 13 with 2874 viewsGloucs_R

Byth way....I have been to Oz 4 times, once for 6 months and travelled a lot. In 2009 I went for 3 weeks. We did Sydney, flew to Brisbane then Noosa, back down to to Surfers, down the coast to Byron Bay then flew back to Sydney. 3 weeks is not a long time in Oz!

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 16:55 - Jun 13 with 2861 viewsGriffmeister

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 16:23 - Jun 13 by Gloucs_R

Here is my suggestion

Fly into Darwin - 2 days
Fly down to Cairns - 3 days - Great Barrier Reef
Fly on to Uluru - 2 days - magical
Fly down to Adelaide - 3 days - the city of churches
Drive from Adelaide to Melbourne (Great Ocean Road) - 3 days
Melbourne - 4 days - great fun, lots to do
Fly to Sydney - the rest of the time - my fav city in the world

Be aware that the weather north will be very different to the south
Forget trains and buses, the distance is vast. Sydney to Melbourne is about 800 miles.

Virgin Blue is a low cost airline, reasonable pricing

I'd agree with this. Been twice, the second time also for my honeymoon but three weeks isn't a long time to see very much. Not been to Darwin but you have to see Uluru, visit the reef and spend a few days in Melbourne/Sydney, both of which are great. The Ocean Road is worth doing if you have time. Wasn't that impressed with Cairns when I went and second time we stayed in Hamilton Island which was stunning but a bit on the expensive side. Alice Springs for a night en route to Uluru is also worth a visit if you have time, not much to see but a fascinating little place all the same.
Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 19:39 - Jun 13 with 2834 viewswood_hoop

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 16:28 - Jun 13 by Gloucs_R

Byth way....I have been to Oz 4 times, once for 6 months and travelled a lot. In 2009 I went for 3 weeks. We did Sydney, flew to Brisbane then Noosa, back down to to Surfers, down the coast to Byron Bay then flew back to Sydney. 3 weeks is not a long time in Oz!

Have to agree about 3 weeks being a very short time to see a place that has loads on offer.

I used Sydney as a base for over two months stay, love to drive and did Sydney to Noosa by car, took a few days driving up and stopped to see a few places on the way up, Brisbane and Surfers Paridise en route, Fraser Island worth a visit if going north of Noosa.

Looks like you are going pretty much north to south so I would plan itinery very carefully, the distances are bloody ernormous and with limited time flying will save time.

Sydney my favorite city visited so far as well, a few days spent there is a must,
too much to see to list and depends on what your tastes and interests are.

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 20:55 - Jun 13 with 2806 viewsKiwi76

Already loads of good advice on here but my two cents;

Port Douglas is nicer spot than Cairns approx 45mins north + gateway to Barrier Reef and also have tropical rainforest up there.
Be wary of driving/trains as huge distances and takes days to get from Nth Queensland down to Sydney.
Proposed on Gt Ocean Rd and nice drive either from Adelaide/Melbourne.
There are these nice miners cottages for accom in the Barossa and get list of some of the smaller wineries to meet to avoid the bus tours - really enjoyed few days there.
Great places to visit but don't try to do too much as will want some downtime to relax and enjoy...
Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 21:28 - Jun 13 with 2797 viewsjc_hoops

mate, as someone has pointed out, 3 weeks not long enough to do all you want to. If I were you, I would look to do the east side only. Trouble with going to Perth etc from Adalaide, is not just the flight time, but the travelling to and from the airports, and getting booked in, you can lose a day just doing the trip one way!!

As someone has already sugested, the coast road is great from Melbourne to Sydney, and Kangaroo Island a nice place to pop into on the way.

If you want weather, then your safe bet is where I am on the Sunshine Coast up to the north of Queensland, down south in those months can still be bloody cold, and that's coming from a Pom!!!

As for cities, I don't think you can go wrong with either Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne or Brissy, they all have different charicteristics, but some very good watering holes

Just one other thing to all the other expats, have you seen this facebook page yet??

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Australian-QPR-Supporters-Club/238655339568592
Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 22:54 - Jun 13 with 2777 viewsozexile

Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 21:28 - Jun 13 by jc_hoops

mate, as someone has pointed out, 3 weeks not long enough to do all you want to. If I were you, I would look to do the east side only. Trouble with going to Perth etc from Adalaide, is not just the flight time, but the travelling to and from the airports, and getting booked in, you can lose a day just doing the trip one way!!

As someone has already sugested, the coast road is great from Melbourne to Sydney, and Kangaroo Island a nice place to pop into on the way.

If you want weather, then your safe bet is where I am on the Sunshine Coast up to the north of Queensland, down south in those months can still be bloody cold, and that's coming from a Pom!!!

As for cities, I don't think you can go wrong with either Adelaide, Sydney, Melbourne or Brissy, they all have different charicteristics, but some very good watering holes

Just one other thing to all the other expats, have you seen this facebook page yet??

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Australian-QPR-Supporters-Club/238655339568592

Have to agree with Kiwi. Stay in port Douglas rather than cairns. Beautiful beach and laid back lifestyle up there.
I live in Sydney so am biased but it's an amazing city so much to do. I also love Melbourne.
I'd rather spend my time in QLD thalamus Australia but understand about seeing family.
And I've never had any probs with Tiger. Cheap fares means more money for Grog!! Enjoy your trip!
Rangers fans in Oz - suggestions non-QPR on 08:05 - Jun 14 with 2742 viewsqprmick

If you want nice weather don't expect it south of Cairns for major centres. The air fare from Darwin to Cairns is expensive, I found it cheaper to travel to Sydney or Brisbane and back to Cairns. Cairns has the Barrier Reef and a magnificent rail trip to Kuranda. Temperatures in the high 30s .There are cheaper air fares from Sydney to Uluru.Going to Tokyo might be better out of Cairns so maybe do Sydney from Adelaide,and then out to Cairns. Darwin might have to wait for another time. 3 weeks is not long enough. Darwin has the Katherine Gorge fairly close and also Kakadu National Park, brilliant.

Qprmick

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024