Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
England implode at Edgbaston 20:54 - Jun 23 with 3488 viewsquickpassrotter

Typical - theirs to win and they completely throw it away. I wonder what's in some of their heads at times. Shocking.
England implode at Edgbaston on 21:00 - Jun 23 with 3475 viewsHooparoo

You'll still win the Ashes though - in a canter. Haven't found one person here who thinks we can win.

Poll: Where will we finish up next season?

England implode at Edgbaston on 21:10 - Jun 23 with 3451 viewsquickpassrotter

England implode at Edgbaston on 21:00 - Jun 23 by Hooparoo

You'll still win the Ashes though - in a canter. Haven't found one person here who thinks we can win.

England are so cock sure about winning the Ashes - I think that the Aussies just might surprise a few over here. England need to get rid of the arrogance around this upcoming Ashes series quickly. I know ODI's and Tests are different but I think that today's defeat does not bode well for the Ashes series. At least Peterson cruised to a 177 not out on his return today for Surrey.
England implode at Edgbaston on 09:52 - Jun 24 with 3296 viewsAntti_Heinola

20 runs from 16 balls should have been a doddle! Played so well up until that point.
I don't think the Enland players are arrogant about the Aussies (who've just sacked Mickey Arthur!) - I think pundits are. This is Cook's first Ashes as captain - there's no way he or Flower will be over-confident. But I agree Australia are not that bad. It'll be much closer than pundits are saying.

Bare bones.

England implode at Edgbaston on 10:01 - Jun 24 with 3287 viewsElHoop

There's not much to connect a 20 over game played by 50 over players on a wet day in Birmingham with an Ashes series against Australia. We bowl better than the Aussies, we bat better than the Aussies, we are a better team unit than the Aussies and that's why we'll win, nothing at all to do with being arrogant.
England implode at Edgbaston on 10:06 - Jun 24 with 3278 viewssdm1508

England implode at Edgbaston on 10:01 - Jun 24 by ElHoop

There's not much to connect a 20 over game played by 50 over players on a wet day in Birmingham with an Ashes series against Australia. We bowl better than the Aussies, we bat better than the Aussies, we are a better team unit than the Aussies and that's why we'll win, nothing at all to do with being arrogant.

Who does Pietersen replace though? I hope Ian Bell gets dropped. He always seems to get a off the hook because he plays 'nice looking' shots. The problem is though he always seems to get himself in and then gets out stupidly. Although yesterday was a 20-20 game, he did it again. Took to long to get going, used a lot of deliveries up and then got out. They will probably keep Bell in the side, so I would move Root to open with Cook (he is an opener with his county and it was those performances that got him in the side) have Trott at 3, KP at 4
England implode at Edgbaston on 10:07 - Jun 24 with 3277 viewsElHoop

England implode at Edgbaston on 10:06 - Jun 24 by sdm1508

Who does Pietersen replace though? I hope Ian Bell gets dropped. He always seems to get a off the hook because he plays 'nice looking' shots. The problem is though he always seems to get himself in and then gets out stupidly. Although yesterday was a 20-20 game, he did it again. Took to long to get going, used a lot of deliveries up and then got out. They will probably keep Bell in the side, so I would move Root to open with Cook (he is an opener with his county and it was those performances that got him in the side) have Trott at 3, KP at 4

I think that the third umpire got Bell out yesterday.
England implode at Edgbaston on 11:25 - Jun 24 with 3250 viewsswisscottage

England implode at Edgbaston on 10:06 - Jun 24 by sdm1508

I dont' think you can judge Bell's worth as a test batsman by the more recent ODI records good or bad opening in ODIs is completely different to coming in at number5 in tests. Granted he hasn't had the greatest last 12 months and he also doesn't have the greatest test record against the Aussies(ave36), but his overall test record of over 5.5k runs at an average of 45.5 indicates he more than a player who plays 'nice looking shots'.

His century in India helped ensure the series win with a draw in that match, and he's not a player that should be dropped yet especially not if its to give Compton more chances. Quality test batsmen, which he certainly is, don't grow on trees.

For me Compton has struggled badly. Root should be moved up to open. Root a genuine opener and one of the most natural young batsmen I have seen come through the English ranks in years. He looks like he belongs in test cricket and has quickly bedded into the England setup in all forms of the game. The same cannot be said of Compton.

So the only change needed is to move Root up to open and give KP his spot back letting Bell come in at number 5.
England implode at Edgbaston on 13:43 - Jun 24 with 3199 viewsR_from_afar

I don't think they "imploded" or "threw it away". They were behind the rate for a long time but Bopara and Morgan clawed England back into it. They still needed to score at a fair old rate, though, on a turning wicket, against very decent spinners playing for the tournament's best team, with a very wet outfield, when both of them got out.

As for 20 in 16, against quality bowlers, that is no cake walk.

I think India got the win they deserved. Of course, I wanted us to win but I think it is fairer to say India won it than that we blew it. It's not easy for lower order batsmen to come in at the very death, on a turning pitch, and immediately score at more than a run a ball.

RFA

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

Login to get fewer ads

England implode at Edgbaston on 14:37 - Jun 24 with 3169 viewsJeff

My starting line up for the ashes, fitness dependant:

Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Morgan/Bopara
Prior
Swann
Broad
Finn
Anderson

Can we not knock it?

England implode at Edgbaston on 14:40 - Jun 24 with 3166 viewsBlackCrowe

England implode at Edgbaston on 14:37 - Jun 24 by Jeff

Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Morgan/Bopara
Prior
Swann
Broad
Finn
Anderson

Based on that line-up I'd have Bairstow in for Morgan/Bopara.
Root opening is a still a big big gamble though but one i'd love to see pay off.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

England implode at Edgbaston on 14:42 - Jun 24 with 3163 viewsthemodfather

England implode at Edgbaston on 14:40 - Jun 24 by BlackCrowe

Based on that line-up I'd have Bairstow in for Morgan/Bopara.
Root opening is a still a big big gamble though but one i'd love to see pay off.

when will england learn to use their powerplay properly?
bopara and morgan were "in" and dallied...when wickets fell ( some naively) it was no use with powerplay.
strange how india dislike review but it saved them here!
England implode at Edgbaston on 14:58 - Jun 24 with 3152 viewstoboboly

England implode at Edgbaston on 14:37 - Jun 24 by Jeff

Cook
Root
Trott
Pietersen
Bell
Morgan/Bopara
Prior
Swann
Broad
Finn
Anderson

Morgan/Bopara? Never an ashes selection in a million years. Frankly I would drop Morgan from all forms of the game.

Compton should get another few tests to prove himself.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

England implode at Edgbaston on 15:03 - Jun 24 with 3151 viewsdaveB

i think the ashes will be very close this summer, England tend to start slowly and I'm not sure about Compton as an opener.

Yesterday was frustrating but the pressure got to England, to be fair India were the best side across the two weeks so deserved it
England implode at Edgbaston on 16:39 - Jun 24 with 3141 viewsswisscottage

England implode at Edgbaston on 15:03 - Jun 24 by daveB

i think the ashes will be very close this summer, England tend to start slowly and I'm not sure about Compton as an opener.

Yesterday was frustrating but the pressure got to England, to be fair India were the best side across the two weeks so deserved it

I'm tempted to give Bopara another last chance ahead of Bairstow. He's frustrated me as much as the next man over the last few years but he's an intelligent, talented, cricketer and would be coming into the side in form of the back of some good performances in the ODIs.

And with only 4 bowlers, he gives Cook another option along with Root, to give the front line bowlers a break between 70 and 80 overs before the second new ball.

Other than that I would most certainly have Bairstow in ahead of Morgan, and in fact I believe he would have been a much more consistent option as WC/batsman than Butler in the ODIs, who with the exception of his wonderful 47 against NZ, has proved somewhat hit and miss literally.
England implode at Edgbaston on 18:56 - Jun 24 with 3111 viewsElHoop

I wouldn't pick Bopara or Morgan for the Ashes series, other than as backup. Wouldn't pick Compton either.

I'd go for

Cook
Trott
Bell
KP
Root
Bairstow
Prior
Swann
Broad
Finn
Anderson
England implode at Edgbaston on 20:45 - Jun 24 with 3088 viewsderbyhoop

Neither Bopara nor Morgan have ever convinced that they are Test cricketers. I think Compton is another good County batsman (see Hick, Ramprakash) who cannot make the step up. But until Root is ready to open (not yet) we ought to persist. Lyth, Gale, Bairstow and Rashid are all making a case to be considered. And I'm not even a Yorkshireman,
Cook and Compton, Trott, Pietersen, Root and Bell to start with.

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

England implode at Edgbaston on 21:09 - Jun 24 with 3075 viewsdaveB

looks like root is going to be the opener
England implode at Edgbaston on 21:21 - Jun 24 with 3064 viewsHoopstar

England implode at Edgbaston on 18:56 - Jun 24 by ElHoop

I wouldn't pick Bopara or Morgan for the Ashes series, other than as backup. Wouldn't pick Compton either.

I'd go for

Cook
Trott
Bell
KP
Root
Bairstow
Prior
Swann
Broad
Finn
Anderson

Almost agree but

Cook
Root (What I wouldn't give for him to make that position his own. Him and Cookie for the next 8 years would be bliss!)
Trott (A brilliant No.3, Mr. Dependable)
KP (What can you say? Other stuff aside he's the man!)
Bairstow
Bell (him or Bairstow could swap. Bell is borderline for me. Good average but rarely hits the big scores you need to save matches. More prone to getting out in the twenties then the single digits hence helping the average)
Prior (my favourite player)
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Finn
England implode at Edgbaston on 21:30 - Jun 24 with 3057 viewsMrSheen

Why not five bowlers and Prior at 6? Anderson, Broad, Finn, Swann and Bresnan/Tredwell? Panesar, Onions, Tremlett, Shahzad, Meaker in reserve.
England implode at Edgbaston on 22:34 - Jun 24 with 3042 viewsHoopstar

None of that. We'll keep Onions at Durham thank you muchly!
England implode at Edgbaston on 22:42 - Jun 24 with 3036 viewsElHoop

England implode at Edgbaston on 21:21 - Jun 24 by Hoopstar

Almost agree but

Cook
Root (What I wouldn't give for him to make that position his own. Him and Cookie for the next 8 years would be bliss!)
Trott (A brilliant No.3, Mr. Dependable)
KP (What can you say? Other stuff aside he's the man!)
Bairstow
Bell (him or Bairstow could swap. Bell is borderline for me. Good average but rarely hits the big scores you need to save matches. More prone to getting out in the twenties then the single digits hence helping the average)
Prior (my favourite player)
Swann
Broad
Anderson
Finn

I prefer Root down the order for now and at 3 or 4 in the longer term. Hes a proper player in the making. Trott should be able to open, but I suspect that they'll go for your order.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024