Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Westminster Council and Diesel 16:25 - Jan 30 with 8238 viewsexiled_dictator

Westminster City Council will become the first UK authority to penalise diesel drivers with more expensive parking prices.

The Greater London borough will charge diesel cars 4p per minute more, which equates to £2.40 an hour and is 50% higher than the cost of parking a petrol-engined car, to park within its boundaries in a pilot scheme that starts on 3 April.

The change is designed to deter diesel drivers from entering the Westminster area in a bid to reduce diesel-related pollution. The council said the area of Marylebone suffers some of the highest pollution levels in London, so it is enforcing a ‘polluter pays’ principle to fight the problem.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/westminster-council-charge-diesel-dri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, this affects me directly.
i drive a diesel, and i enter and park in westminster quite frequently.
i need a big car that can safely and comfortably transport more than 3 kids, as well as be used as a work vehicle, so a ford focus will not suffice.
and the difference between a petrol and a diesel version is 14mpg as per the manufacturer itself. so it was a no brainer that i bought a diesel version, and now i'm perceived as the bad guy killing all sorts of living things just by driving the diesel car.
it simply doesn't make sense to drive a big petrol engined car - i has a 4.4 litre petrol version years ago, and never saw more than 20mpg.
so what am i supposed to do now?
the extra money per se is not a major issue, but being perceived as some kind of monster for owning and driving a diesel just narks me.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Westminster Council and Diesel on 23:26 - Jan 30 with 6904 viewsozexile

?.. very bizarre. Admittedly I left 16 years ago but back then everyone was encouraged even given tax breaks for buying diesel vans in London.
Westminster Council and Diesel on 23:37 - Jan 30 with 6877 viewsBoston

Personally, I blame the voters.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Westminster Council and Diesel on 23:47 - Jan 30 with 6877 viewsPunteR

I drive a white turbo diesel transit van 04 plate. I dont like working around Westminster anyway.
Their loss, I'm a bloody good chippie.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Westminster Council and Diesel on 23:49 - Jan 30 with 6866 viewsBoston

Westminster Council and Diesel on 23:47 - Jan 30 by PunteR

I drive a white turbo diesel transit van 04 plate. I dont like working around Westminster anyway.
Their loss, I'm a bloody good chippie.

Do you do kebabs as well?

Westminster Council and Diesel on 23:53 - Jan 30 with 6863 viewsPunteR

Westminster Council and Diesel on 23:49 - Jan 30 by Boston

Only on a Friday about half eleven after 7 pints.

Westminster Council and Diesel on 07:16 - Jan 31 with 6756 viewslondonscottish

I was planning to get a new (secondhand) diesel but will now just get the petrol version.

The gap between them has come right down in terms of MPG and diesel costs more per gallon.

One fellah calculated that for the car I'm looking at the difference is only 5p per mile and that's good enough for me.

Add in parking costs, ULEZ charges, etc and petrol could even end up cheaper.

In the long term I think it's fair enough - diesels really belong on the motorway. In town they are really inefficient and they do chuck out some nasty stuff.

The people who are really going to get stiffed by this are sole traders running vans. The only option is to get a Euro 6 which means max 2 years old either on a lease with crippling mileage charges or on a loan. Not much cop if you run older, cheaper vans at the £10k make which my mates tend to.
[Post edited 31 Jan 2017 7:44]

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Westminster Council and Diesel on 08:44 - Jan 31 with 6662 viewsBluce_Ree

Just another way to make money.

I was walking around the city centre the other day for the first time in ages (I live up north) and really noticed the lack of traffic compared to the old days. So I guess the congestion charge is working but penalising motorists when the public transport is so overpriced seems wrong. Especially when factories are able to pump out black clouds of death 24/7.

Also, on that note. I put ten quid on the Oyster card. Went from Sutton to London and back. And had no money left. The fk is that about?!

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Westminster Council and Diesel on 09:24 - Jan 31 with 6615 viewsDWQPR

I've also got a diesel, 2.0l BMW, which every so often I have to put some Adblu, (purified pigs p1ss) into the engine. This reduces the emissions by around 80% I am told. Strange how pollution seems to be increasing as all these bloody cycle lanes are being shoe-horned onto roads, reducing two lanes each way roads to one each way, such as Bayswater Road, causing more congestion, meaning more pollution. And for around 90% of the day these cycle lanes are bloody empty. Half the time cyclists still use the road, and break the law, cycling through red lights. A few months ago I was waiting at the traffic lights by Parliament Square waiting to head across Westminster Bridge. I was at the front of the lights and counted 7 cyclists on their bikes right in front of my car. The temptation was enormous. Get rid of the cycle lanes, and the traffic flows more quickly and pollution reduces. Simple.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

Login to get fewer ads

Westminster Council and Diesel on 09:46 - Jan 31 with 6583 viewslondonscottish

Westminster Council and Diesel on 09:24 - Jan 31 by DWQPR

I've also got a diesel, 2.0l BMW, which every so often I have to put some Adblu, (purified pigs p1ss) into the engine. This reduces the emissions by around 80% I am told. Strange how pollution seems to be increasing as all these bloody cycle lanes are being shoe-horned onto roads, reducing two lanes each way roads to one each way, such as Bayswater Road, causing more congestion, meaning more pollution. And for around 90% of the day these cycle lanes are bloody empty. Half the time cyclists still use the road, and break the law, cycling through red lights. A few months ago I was waiting at the traffic lights by Parliament Square waiting to head across Westminster Bridge. I was at the front of the lights and counted 7 cyclists on their bikes right in front of my car. The temptation was enormous. Get rid of the cycle lanes, and the traffic flows more quickly and pollution reduces. Simple.

......and drive a petrol or a hybrid in congested areas.....

Westminster Council and Diesel on 10:11 - Jan 31 with 6553 viewsKonk

Westminster Council and Diesel on 09:24 - Jan 31 by DWQPR

Cycle lanes always appear to be empty or near empty, because unlike roads, they’re an efficient way to travel, so rather than sitting still or crawling along like motorised vehicles, bikes cruise along on bike paths, meaning that they appear empty and redundant, when in fact they’re just demonstrating perfectly how efficient bicycle travel is when there’s some sort of cycling infrastructure in place. This article is a decent response to moaning about empty cycle lanes:

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/bike-blog/2016/oct/06/cycle-lanes-dont-c

The road system cannot cope with the volume of traffic, the public transport system is barely able to accommodate existing numbers of travellers, never mind the inevitable population growth, so unless you want to knock down half of London to build wider roads, the obvious answer is to get people out of their cars and off Public transport and onto bikes. As I cycle to/from work, it’s very rare that I see a vehicle with more than one person in it unless it’s the school run. Blocking the roads up for the benefit of a single occupant. The number one reason that people don’t cycle is safety concerns — people, not unreasonably, don’t fancy the idea of mixing with lorries, buses, cement mixers etc. I cycle to work because I know the route like the back of my hand, but I vary rarely cycle anywhere I’m not particularly familiar with because I don’t feel safe cycling on unfamiliar roads whereas If you build segregated, intelligently designed cycle paths, people will use them; this has been proven all over the world.

Spend any time in the Netherlands, for example, and you will see people from 5-80 cycling throughout the day, you will see up to 50% of journeys made by bike in major cities and you will see far, far, far fewer overweight people than you will see in the UK. People don’t just use their bikes to commute, they use them to shop, visit friends, run errands and for leisure. If we had similar infrastructure rather than the odd bit of cra p cyclepath here and there, you’d undoubtedly see them heavily used throughout the day too. Dutch friends of mine who are happy for their young kids to cycle through the centre of Amsterdam think I am insane for cycling in London and the UK in general. Spend time in a city centre with little motorised traffic and tell me it isn’t a quieter, more relaxed environment. And that’s before you get onto the toxic air that we’re happy to led our kids and the elderly breathe.

If you want to highlight cycling transgressions (which also wind me up), then it’s only fair to talk about motorists going through red lights, last minute left hand hooks with no indication, endemic use of mobile phones, the fu cking ars ehole I once saw who was actually watching a TV programme on an Ipad propped up behind his gear stick, the ridiculous speeding, the near misses where some ars ehole gives you 6” of grace as they speed past you at double the 20mph speed limit etc. We could all learn to travel more responsibly and with a bit more courtesy, but ultimately, some kno b on a bike is a lot less likely to kill or maim someone that a kno b in a car or lorry.

Without a massive increase in the number of people cycling or walking, the city will grind to even more of a gridlock and our air, ever more poisonous. And people won’t cycle or walk until both modes of transport are made safer.

Fulham FC: It's the taking part that counts

Westminster Council and Diesel on 14:37 - Jan 31 with 6457 viewsBoston

Westminster Council and Diesel on 08:44 - Jan 31 by Bluce_Ree

I was walking around the city centre the other day for the first time in ages (I live up north) and really noticed the lack of traffic compared to the old days. So I guess the congestion charge is working but penalising motorists when the public transport is so overpriced seems wrong. Especially when factories are able to pump out black clouds of death 24/7.

Also, on that note. I put ten quid on the Oyster card. Went from Sutton to London and back. And had no money left. The fk is that about?!

Everything gets more expensive when yer football club does well.

Westminster Council and Diesel on 16:10 - Jan 31 with 6408 viewswood_hoop

Westminster Council and Diesel on 09:46 - Jan 31 by londonscottish

......and drive a petrol or a hybrid in congested areas.....

Drive a company diesel car that does 60mpg,(Ford Fiesta) mainly outside of town but still some city centre driving in there, and no road tax required as the emissions are below the limits, not brand new either, 2012 model.

Hopefully will fall into a bracket that will negate the extra charge,
Westminster Council and Diesel on 17:28 - Jan 31 with 6359 viewsBoston

Westminster Council and Diesel on 16:10 - Jan 31 by wood_hoop

Drive a company diesel car that does 60mpg,(Ford Fiesta) mainly outside of town but still some city centre driving in there, and no road tax required as the emissions are below the limits, not brand new either, 2012 model.

Hopefully will fall into a bracket that will negate the extra charge,

My company vehicles average 10mpg, but then again you can't get much construction crap into a Fiesta.

Westminster Council and Diesel on 18:57 - Jan 31 with 6309 viewsexiled_dictator

Westminster Council and Diesel on 17:28 - Jan 31 by Boston

My company vehicles average 10mpg, but then again you can't get much construction crap into a Fiesta.

is this you?

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Westminster Council and Diesel on 20:20 - Jan 31 with 6274 viewslondonscottish

Westminster Council and Diesel on 18:57 - Jan 31 by exiled_dictator

is this you?

LOL I think that one is 10 gallons per mile.

Westminster Council and Diesel on 21:51 - Jan 31 with 6233 viewsJuzzie

Diesel, the great government rip off.

When pump prices were wll below that of petrol, everyone was encouraged to go diesel. More mpg, cheaper fuel, what was not to like.

Millions got bought and fuel prices went up to higher than petrol levels.

Kerrr-ching! Lots of £££££ in taxes.

Now they are saying they are polluting, which they are, and introducing measures wiping off £hundreds/thousands in the value of the car.

Will tne owners be compensated? I wont hold my breath.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 0:36]
Westminster Council and Diesel on 00:10 - Feb 1 with 6170 viewszicoshoops

Cycle lanes in London were not actually built for cycles, although they use them at the moment.

They were built for Driverless vehicles, which we will be seeing in the next few years.

Westminster council?
The same as TFL............not worth a rub.

What's going on?

We should be told

Sort it out
Westminster Council and Diesel on 13:01 - Feb 1 with 6092 viewsKonk

Go up to Parliament Fields, Ally Pally, Primrose Hill or any other high point in London and have a look for yourself if you're not convinced about the levels of pollution in town:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/science/2017/01/24/air-pollution-london-passes-levels

Still, we could always carry on as we are and build bigger, wider roads, encouraging more people to drive polluting vehicles on roads that would inevitably be as clogged up as roads are at the moment. The alternative plan is to encourage people out of their cars and off public transport, but that requires proper cycling infrastructure. Contrary to conventional wisdom, the needs and wishes of motorists shouldn't trump everything else.

Westminster Council and Diesel on 13:03 - Feb 1 with 6083 viewssmegma

Westminster Council and Diesel on 23:49 - Jan 30 by Boston

What about a wally?
Westminster Council and Diesel on 13:15 - Feb 1 with 6059 viewswombat

Westminster Council and Diesel on 13:03 - Feb 1 by smegma

What about a wally?

hes driving the van !!!

Poll: which is your favouite foot

Westminster Council and Diesel on 13:15 - Feb 1 with 6058 viewssmegma

Westminster Council and Diesel on 08:44 - Jan 31 by Bluce_Ree

Correct.

Pollution is bad. But if you pay Westminster Council a fee, pollution is ok.
A bit like airlines. Over 20kg on baggage is frowned upon. They say it's to do with being overloaded etc whereby it renders the plane unsafe to fly. But pay some money and it magically becomes safe again? Reminds me of a trip home from WC2002. For the flight from Tokyo to Taipei my suitcase weighed 40kg.China Air didn't charge for excess baggage.. I stayed in Taiwan for 3 days then flew home to Heathrow. On the flight home I got charged £337 excess baggage. The case still weighed 40kg. I told China Air I didn't have £337 on my person and I haggled it down to £137. Seeing as I had about £50 in cash on me I paid by credit card!!! We are being conned left right and centre.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 13:32]
Westminster Council and Diesel on 13:24 - Feb 1 with 6049 viewsPunteR

Westminster Council and Diesel on 13:15 - Feb 1 by wombat

hes driving the van !!!

Oi.

Westminster Council and Diesel on 14:28 - Feb 1 with 6010 viewsJuzzie

Westminster Council and Diesel on 13:15 - Feb 1 by smegma

Correct.

Pollution is bad. But if you pay Westminster Council a fee, pollution is ok.
A bit like airlines. Over 20kg on baggage is frowned upon. They say it's to do with being overloaded etc whereby it renders the plane unsafe to fly. But pay some money and it magically becomes safe again? Reminds me of a trip home from WC2002. For the flight from Tokyo to Taipei my suitcase weighed 40kg.China Air didn't charge for excess baggage.. I stayed in Taiwan for 3 days then flew home to Heathrow. On the flight home I got charged £337 excess baggage. The case still weighed 40kg. I told China Air I didn't have £337 on my person and I haggled it down to £137. Seeing as I had about £50 in cash on me I paid by credit card!!! We are being conned left right and centre.
[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 13:32]

Ditto the Congestion charge.

Congestion is bad, I'm sure everyone would agree. But if everyone pays then suddenly it's not a problem.

I know the idea was to put people off but all that does is shove the traffic build-up further out & around and central London becomes a haven for rich drivers or those on expenses.
Westminster Council and Diesel on 14:38 - Feb 1 with 5992 viewsKonk

Westminster Council and Diesel on 14:28 - Feb 1 by Juzzie

Ditto the Congestion charge.

Congestion is bad, I'm sure everyone would agree. But if everyone pays then suddenly it's not a problem.

I know the idea was to put people off but all that does is shove the traffic build-up further out & around and central London becomes a haven for rich drivers or those on expenses.

I agree about the affordability issue, but I'm not sure how you could means test it, and if it sees any sort of reduction in traffic, and if revenue from the charge is invested in public transport or cycling infrastructure, then I'm okay with that. What would you suggest as an alternative given that surely everyone acknowledges that there's too much traffic and pollution in London?

Westminster Council and Diesel on 15:03 - Feb 1 with 5969 views18StoneOfHoop

[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 15:25]

'I'm 18 with a bullet.Got my finger on the trigger,I'm gonna pull it.." Love,Peace and Fook Chelski! More like 20StoneOfHoop now. Let's face it I'm not getting any thinner. Pass the cake and pies please.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024