Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Fickle Supporters 09:47 - Mar 10 with 2409 viewsexiled_dictator

i was reading fans reactions to arsenal and their arse problems.
and one fan was talking about being entertained. she (yes, a FEMALE for FFS) said:

The reason I support Arsenal is Arsene Wenger - a man who understands that football is about entertainment and occasionally it is about art and beauty. It is not all about winning. I go to football to be entertained, maybe even moved. If I was only interested in the result I would stay at home and check the results online. I know many older fans like me who feel the same. I would like Wenger to stay forever but I feel, sadly, that he'll get fed up with all of this noise and take his genius and love of football elsewhere and English football will be so much the poorer.

this by Liz Heade who lives in Cambridge.

ok, now i ain't no arse fan, and i aint no wimmin either, but what a load of blllllokkkks.

the same old story of playing beautifully, entertaining, but not winning, or playing ugly and winning.

now obviously, you do want to play beautiful and entertaining football and win at the same time, but how many premiership clubs do that against one another? you could maybe achieve this against sunderland, hull or borough, and strangely some could say that leicester did achieve that last season, but you cannot achieve this week in week out against other top sides in the premiership.
maybe if you're celtic, who have all 4 trophies wrapped up in pre-season, and are 27 points clear after two games, but isn't football about the minnows, the lincolns of this world? the qpr's coming from two goals down at half time against a team a whole division above them? surely, the unknowns of football is what it's all about? not the boring monotony of winning 1-0 every game?

arsenal have a huge decision to make, and have to decide what kind of a club they want to be.
there are now maybe 6 or 7 clubs that could win a championship ( not necessarily THIS one), and a similar number whose board almost demand it. some clubs are more realistic, looking for europe, and some just want to survive relegation.

so, do you want to play beautiful and entertaining football but not necessarily win, or play ugly and win. surely it's a mixture of both?

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Fickle Supporters on 10:16 - Mar 10 with 2374 viewssmegma

QPR coming back from two goals down at half time against a team one whole division above them??

When did this happen ??!!

As for the first poster?? All very prosaic and all that but at the end of the day it's all waffle and cliches rolled into one. Probably just completed a creative writing course and wanted to show off.

BTW there's a cream for 'arse problems'
[Post edited 10 Mar 2017 10:18]
Fickle Supporters on 10:19 - Mar 10 with 2364 views2Thomas2Bowles

I hate to say it but the scum play entertaining football and win

I know I'm going to hell this will just get me a first class ticket

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Fickle Supporters on 10:26 - Mar 10 with 2352 viewsCopenranger

Have a hard time imagining, that I would enjoy an "entertaining" draw/loss much, if I felt totally convinced, that we would've easily won the game with a more cynical approach..
Fickle Supporters on 11:00 - Mar 10 with 2320 viewsrunningman75

I enjoyed watching QPR on Tuesday but both teams had poor defences and the game could have been 4-4. I would have enjoyed the game but not as much as winning 2-1. Though I am sure those who were at the 5-5 Newcastle game still saviour the game apart from the ones who left at half time when QPR were getting trounced.
Fickle Supporters on 11:05 - Mar 10 with 2307 viewsLongsufferingR

Fickle Supporters on 11:00 - Mar 10 by runningman75

I enjoyed watching QPR on Tuesday but both teams had poor defences and the game could have been 4-4. I would have enjoyed the game but not as much as winning 2-1. Though I am sure those who were at the 5-5 Newcastle game still saviour the game apart from the ones who left at half time when QPR were getting trounced.

Even with those 4-4 and 5-5 games though, you could be left with very different feelings depending on how the game ran. If you're 4-0 down and come back to draw, it feels as good as or even better than winning 1-0. If you've thrown away a 4 goal lead to draw 4-4, I'd argue it feels even worse than losing 2-1.
Fickle Supporters on 11:08 - Mar 10 with 2294 viewsToast_R

Wenger has certainly been entertaining the Bayern, Chelsea and Liverpool fans this season.
Fickle Supporters on 16:49 - Mar 10 with 2142 viewswhittocksRs

I would think that QPR fans above maybe all others accept football is about enjoying yourself rather than success. We've won one — one — major trophy in our entire existence and we are jointly the worst cup team in the country with Plymouth Argyle. So I think the OP woman talks a lot of sense, albeit the circumstances and economics at Arsenal are very different to Loftus Road.

Think of West Brom: eighth in the Premier League this year, secure in the top flight and financially stable. This year they're competing for a Europa Cup place and yet the fans hate going. Why? Because Pulis is more interested in seeing how many centre backs can play on the pitch at the same time than playing entertaining football.

At QPR, Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink's record isn't much worse than Ian Hollyway's, and yet the latter has the unquestioning support of most of the Rangers fans. Why? Because JFH played the most boring football Loftus Road has seen since the Paulo Sousa days. Holloway makes us fun, even if it doesn't work half the time and the results are mixed. Winning the Championship was lovely, but QPR have never been a club that strings long periods of success together so results have always been secondary to actually wanting to attend for me.

Ultimately, when I go to LR, I want to leave feeling like I haven't wasted an afternoon, and under Ollie that is happening more and more. Under JFH I stopped going for a bit because it just felt like an expensive, boring waste of time.

So, yes, entertainment and seeing incredible passages of football is more important than trophies. Maybe if we were a ten-time top-league winner I'd think differently, but we're not and therefore I don't.
Fickle Supporters on 16:52 - Mar 10 with 2129 viewsBluce_Ree

Fickle Supporters on 10:19 - Mar 10 by 2Thomas2Bowles

I hate to say it but the scum play entertaining football and win

I know I'm going to hell this will just get me a first class ticket

The only time a Chelsea player is entertaining is when they die. On the pitch preferably.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Login to get fewer ads

Fickle Supporters on 16:52 - Mar 10 with 2129 viewsLongsufferingR

Also worth remembering 2013-14 under Redknapp. First half of the season we won nearly every week, but it was deadly dull and I didn't get any feeling of excitement being top of the league. 1-0 every week with no ambition to get a second. Compare that to the 2010-11 season when it was an absolute joy to turn up every week.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024