Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
High Ball strategy. 10:29 - Apr 18 with 1315 viewsRichardO

Do we attack the opposition high ball goal kicks to try nd pick up the ball higher up the pitch or ease the opposition forwards off the ball to regain the ball deep in our half.
High Ball strategy. on 13:19 - Apr 18 with 1255 viewsTomsyard

The problem is when the ball is in the air then 90% of the time it turns into a 50 50 outcome, you might gain possession or you end up losing it. When you lose it has the team set up for this or are they moving into a more offensive position which may leave the team short in important areas of the pitch. Thinking back to watching Warnocks teams play (and others) and the game was ‘I’ll have the ball then I’ll kick/header it back to you and often the opposition would do the same and the match suffered in my opinion because there was no pattern or tactics employed. This isn’t the type of game MR will get drawn into and rightly so in my opinion.
High Ball strategy. on 13:39 - Apr 18 with 1246 viewsBadlands

I noted Cabango and Wood seemed to be more aggressive in arial duals v Huddersfield.
Looked the stats and between them they won 12, more than double their average.
V Coventry it was 3.
Definitely a different appoach.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

High Ball strategy. on 19:32 - Apr 18 with 1165 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Generally defenders win more high balls than attackers from goal kicks and keepers booting the ball up field. Simple reason the defender has three opition, head into into touch, heading it forward or try heading to their own players.

Attackers have to try to control the ball of if they flick it on the defenders usually out number the forwards.

That is why teams try to play it short to keep possession.

Of course depending on opposition you have to adapt tactics to suit.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

High Ball strategy. on 19:37 - Apr 18 with 1160 viewsRichardO

I think in the last number of games we have comitted to attacking the aerial ball more, keeping us further up the pitch
What is the point of greater possession if you cannot capitalise on it as you're so deep and you're having trouble working it forward especially when the gap between the forwards and the defenders is so wide that players get isolated very easily and when an opposition press is done effectively capitalising on our mistakes or leading to the eventual back pass resulting in a long ball up to our not so aerially superior forwards
or
conversely them letting us have the ball and dropping back to defend in numbers and if they have the quality and pace counter attacking as we over commit our defenders.
The exact thing that was said would happen if we did attacking the high ball.

I will always favour getting to ball down to feet or into space behind oncoming opposition players and a quick one two to progress forward and if those one two don't come off I'd rather they be further up the pitch with us in a formation to cover those mistakes before they get anywhere near our goals.
Atacking the high ball using some of the strengths of our defenders not their weaknesses also means the amount of work the midfield needs to do is drastically reduced not having to drop so far back to cover, playing a back four helps as well.
High Ball strategy. on 20:25 - Apr 18 with 1133 viewsFireboy2

Just like watching the big match revisited from the 80s on itv4.
High Ball strategy. on 22:12 - Apr 18 with 1090 viewsfelixstowe_jack

High Ball strategy. on 20:25 - Apr 18 by Fireboy2

Just like watching the big match revisited from the 80s on itv4.

Well Colin did start his managerial career in 1980 and he has not changed his tactics in 43 years.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

High Ball strategy. on 06:38 - Apr 19 with 1057 viewsRichardO

High Ball strategy. on 22:12 - Apr 18 by felixstowe_jack

Well Colin did start his managerial career in 1980 and he has not changed his tactics in 43 years.

A manager who keeps on using the same tactics that don't work with the players he has at his disposal?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024