Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics 11:56 - Feb 13 with 2612 viewsBrianMcCarthy

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 12:22 - Feb 13 with 2526 viewsAntti_Heinola

Our organisation in open play is light years away from the start of the season. Players know their roles and what they're expected to do and where they're expected to be.
Before Marti it was just people running around.

Bare bones.

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 12:40 - Feb 13 with 2429 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Bloody amazing. Bhatia really was an idiot.
Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 12:41 - Feb 13 with 2433 viewsTomS

But we're still in the bottom 4 for xG scored. No surprise there as up until very recently we have all acknowledged that there are no goals in this team.

So if we continue scoring more goals and continue to maintain a miserly defence, there's a fair chance we'll stay up.
Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 12:46 - Feb 13 with 2369 viewsLazyFan

He has two banks of four, and sometimes all of them drop back. Holloway used to play this way too.

Marti's QPR pack the midfield so, the oppo are forced to go around the sides and are unable to pass easily through the middle (remember when teams used to just waltz through our middle at will). This seems to be working as long as our fullbacks don't get beat and the midfield picks up the runners and the CB's pick up anyone who drops deep. Luckily we have Paal and Cannon who are decent fullbacks.

Against Norwich, Sargent was allowed to play in between the lines and they generated many attacks with one-twos from there. I would suspect that's analysed and Marti will stop that hopefully for this game against Stoke. Otherwise, we could be exposed again.

Also when you see the oppo start well, I noticed this is soon stopped by Marti telling Colback or whoever to drop 10 yards deeper, once again blocking the middle.

Essentially it is fill the box and let's see if you can score then.
Norwich could, but they are a very good side who should be way higher up the table. I suspect it is Norwich's poor defence and keeper that holds them back.

zzzzzzzzzz

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 12:51 - Feb 13 with 2320 viewsFDC

That's pretty remarkable.

My read on that statistic alongside our still fairly poor GD (+2) is that we are shipping goals that we shouldn't be, as far as the xGA algorithm-elves are concerned?

Edit: although our xG is relatively low too, so on balance the GD is what you would expect.

I just find the low xGA hard to reconcile with how pant-shitting I find it to watch us play
[Post edited 13 Feb 12:53]
Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 12:52 - Feb 13 with 2306 viewsAntti_Heinola

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 12:46 - Feb 13 by LazyFan

He has two banks of four, and sometimes all of them drop back. Holloway used to play this way too.

Marti's QPR pack the midfield so, the oppo are forced to go around the sides and are unable to pass easily through the middle (remember when teams used to just waltz through our middle at will). This seems to be working as long as our fullbacks don't get beat and the midfield picks up the runners and the CB's pick up anyone who drops deep. Luckily we have Paal and Cannon who are decent fullbacks.

Against Norwich, Sargent was allowed to play in between the lines and they generated many attacks with one-twos from there. I would suspect that's analysed and Marti will stop that hopefully for this game against Stoke. Otherwise, we could be exposed again.

Also when you see the oppo start well, I noticed this is soon stopped by Marti telling Colback or whoever to drop 10 yards deeper, once again blocking the middle.

Norwich could, but they are a very good side who should be way higher up the table. I suspect it is Norwich's poor defence and keeper that holds them back.

Norwich looked dangerous, but actually I bet the xg was quite low - they didn't exactly pepper the goal.
I'm not seeing two banks of four, i have to say, but i'm fairly ignorant tactically! we often have 4 up front!

Bare bones.

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 12:53 - Feb 13 with 2293 viewsAntti_Heinola

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 12:40 - Feb 13 by Wegerles_Stairs

Meh, poor appointments happen at every club throughout history. I didn't want Gaz, but the thought was he would galvanise and knit together a disparate group, and bring inspiration. To a tiny degree, last season, that worked.
Just calling someone an idiot is a bit reductive and pointless tbh, especially as before he became chairman most fans credited him with the masterstroke of getting Warnock and putting an end to the briatore craziness.
[Post edited 13 Feb 13:00]

Bare bones.

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 13:01 - Feb 13 with 2235 viewsWegerles_Stairs

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 12:53 - Feb 13 by Antti_Heinola

Meh, poor appointments happen at every club throughout history. I didn't want Gaz, but the thought was he would galvanise and knit together a disparate group, and bring inspiration. To a tiny degree, last season, that worked.
Just calling someone an idiot is a bit reductive and pointless tbh, especially as before he became chairman most fans credited him with the masterstroke of getting Warnock and putting an end to the briatore craziness.
[Post edited 13 Feb 13:00]

It was a truly cretinous appointment. We'd been playing a certain style of play for years and had a squad assembled for that style of play, so he appoints someone who is the antithesis to all that because he had "an itch to scratch". If we do stay up this season, it's despite Bhatia and his idiocy.
Login to get fewer ads

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 13:08 - Feb 13 with 2164 viewsSheffieldHoop

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 13:01 - Feb 13 by Wegerles_Stairs

It was a truly cretinous appointment. We'd been playing a certain style of play for years and had a squad assembled for that style of play, so he appoints someone who is the antithesis to all that because he had "an itch to scratch". If we do stay up this season, it's despite Bhatia and his idiocy.

Tbf they'd just thrown Critchley under the bus as well.

The players are the problem. Ainsworth wasn't a great appointment, but it was never his fault either.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 13:15 - Feb 13 with 2152 viewsTheChef

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 12:40 - Feb 13 by Wegerles_Stairs

So he made one bad decision but I don't think he's an idiot; not if you look at how he and Saksena managed the club in our Championship season.

Ainsworth was the itch that had to be scratched and a populist decision given the grief the board was getting at that time. Hoped it would work out, but it didn't.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 13:37 - Feb 13 with 2051 viewsPhilmyRs

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 13:08 - Feb 13 by SheffieldHoop

Tbf they'd just thrown Critchley under the bus as well.

The players are the problem. Ainsworth wasn't a great appointment, but it was never his fault either.

You don't think Ainsworth was partly culpable for how we've performed in the last 16 months or so? Obviously not all on him, but he was a factor in the rubbish served up on the pitch during that time, surely?
Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 13:51 - Feb 13 with 2000 viewsaston_hoop

One thing is the excellent job Cifuentes is doing, I said it at the time the same as many others on here, players need to be coached. They need to be organised and they need to know what they are supposed to do on the pitch and also what their teammates will be doing. Under Ainsworth, I saw so little of this. It was chaos. Watching the Watford highlights back, or the Blackburn ones, the Blackpool ones last season, nobody knew what they were doing. Teams found it easy to play against us. Organised players start to pick up results and players who start to pick up results start to look happy again.

Another things though is Cannon-Cook-JCS-Paal. Thats a decent Championship back 4 and having them fit every week is bloody useful!

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 14:00 - Feb 13 with 1980 viewsTheChef

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 13:51 - Feb 13 by aston_hoop

One thing is the excellent job Cifuentes is doing, I said it at the time the same as many others on here, players need to be coached. They need to be organised and they need to know what they are supposed to do on the pitch and also what their teammates will be doing. Under Ainsworth, I saw so little of this. It was chaos. Watching the Watford highlights back, or the Blackburn ones, the Blackpool ones last season, nobody knew what they were doing. Teams found it easy to play against us. Organised players start to pick up results and players who start to pick up results start to look happy again.

Another things though is Cannon-Cook-JCS-Paal. Thats a decent Championship back 4 and having them fit every week is bloody useful!

Well yeah that back four is fairly key - we still don't have the strength in depth if one of them gets injured or suspended.

And having a system which is simple and every player knows their role within it, is also a big help.

I know Ainsworth flippantly said "possession can do one" but the less the opposition has the ball, the less they can hurt you.

Would be good if Clive's tactics mate can do a Cif/Gaz compare and contrast article.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 14:14 - Feb 13 with 1933 viewsnumptydumpty

This is an incredible statistic from where we were.

You have to say hats off to Cifuentes and if we manage to achieve better stats defending set pieces then we would become amazingly miserly in the concession of predicted opposition goals.

I just hope we can keep Marti for the whole of next season if we stay up this term.

His work will not be going unnnoticed.

Walking in a "Mackie Wonderland"
Poll: Biggest Nobhead of the year

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 14:51 - Feb 13 with 1782 viewsSheffieldHoop

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 13:37 - Feb 13 by PhilmyRs

You don't think Ainsworth was partly culpable for how we've performed in the last 16 months or so? Obviously not all on him, but he was a factor in the rubbish served up on the pitch during that time, surely?

No more than any of the players. No.

His record at Wycombe speaks for itself. L2 relegation candidates ended up in the Championship, on the back of a lot of "buy in" and "graft". Wycombe is a slightly larger than normal non-league club. When they got to the championship they had something like 10% of our budget - In a league competing with clubs like Derby and Middlesbrough who had absurdly huge wage bills. Derby should've been relegated instead of Wycombe that season if the law had been applied properly. The job he did there is underrated imo.

Ainsworth's job was to change the culture at QPR which had been of a piss-taking nature for a looong time. Unfortunately, he never achieved that here. Don't get me wrong, I felt like the fear of failure was running through him the whole time, which was never going to lead to much success. His football was horrible most of the time and the players did look lost.

However, the biggest factor in it all was the moment our players decided they'd rather keep taking the piss. We've not reached that point yet with Marti, but I've felt close a couple of times and I'm not counting my eggs just yet.

"Someone despises me. That's their problem." Marcus Aurelius

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 15:48 - Feb 13 with 1668 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Uh-huh. Hmm, yes, I see. Oh wow, yeeees, yes, yes: the err thingy correlates to the other matter.

In layman terms, McCarthy, WTF am I looking at here? Because we're still in it up to our effing ears and it being so close to Valentine's Day, are we hitting the G-spot or not?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 16:35 - Feb 13 with 1567 viewsPaddyhoops

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 12:46 - Feb 13 by LazyFan

Not much was mentioned in relation to Willock’s miss first half against Norwich.
It really was a sitter .
Hodge was incredibly close second half as well .
We’re a decent side to watch again after the dross that was served up early season.
Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 18:01 - Feb 13 with 1425 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 15:48 - Feb 13 by PlanetHonneywood

Uh-huh. Hmm, yes, I see. Oh wow, yeeees, yes, yes: the err thingy correlates to the other matter.

In layman terms, McCarthy, WTF am I looking at here? Because we're still in it up to our effing ears and it being so close to Valentine's Day, are we hitting the G-spot or not?

John, there's a table. And we're top of it!!!!

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 20:37 - Feb 13 with 1245 viewsFredManRave

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 15:48 - Feb 13 by PlanetHonneywood

X marks the G spot, allegedly.

As for being top of the table, I'll take it, even though I have no idea what that table actually means.

It has to be better than the ones I've seen us topping recently, such as worst home record over 5, 10 etc years, worst F.A.Cup 3rd round record since ever, etc (we'll call these worded, understandable tables).

Now we're top of the XG table (we'll call this a lettered, nonunderstandable table) and I'm taking it.Hopefully after tomorrow's game we'll be top of the XTC table aswell...

I've got the Power.
Poll: MOM from todays Teasing at Teesside?

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 21:20 - Feb 13 with 1147 viewsManinBlack

My problem with all of this is that we are still in the bottom three. Consider this. In the last 6 or so games we have been behind Huddersfield by one place. We have only been around 3 points behind them. Yet after all those 6 games we are still two points behind them.The fact we cannot bridge a three point deficit over a period of weeks is the concerning stat. Most other clubs would have caught Huddersfield in a couple of games. How many attempts and games will it take for us to go above Huddersfield? Every opportunity to do so has been wasted week in week out.
[Post edited 13 Feb 21:21]
Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 21:58 - Feb 13 with 1049 viewsloftboy

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 21:20 - Feb 13 by ManinBlack

My problem with all of this is that we are still in the bottom three. Consider this. In the last 6 or so games we have been behind Huddersfield by one place. We have only been around 3 points behind them. Yet after all those 6 games we are still two points behind them.The fact we cannot bridge a three point deficit over a period of weeks is the concerning stat. Most other clubs would have caught Huddersfield in a couple of games. How many attempts and games will it take for us to go above Huddersfield? Every opportunity to do so has been wasted week in week out.
[Post edited 13 Feb 21:21]

Not a lot we can do if Huddersfield keep picking up points, in the same time we have lower the gap on Stoke and Millwall by about 9 points 🤷‍♂️

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 23:59 - Feb 13 with 900 viewsManinBlack

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 21:58 - Feb 13 by loftboy

Not a lot we can do if Huddersfield keep picking up points, in the same time we have lower the gap on Stoke and Millwall by about 9 points 🤷‍♂️

It seems to me that both us and Huddersfield win, draw and lose on the same days so we just can't get above them. Saturday was a great opportunity to finally do that knowing they were away to Southampton but we fluffed our lines with another missed opportunity to go above them on GD. It is the fact we rarely win at home that is stifling any progress. We should be able to beat Rotherham, Birmingham and Wednesday at home but I bet we won't win all three as we play worse against the poorer sides.
Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 00:51 - Feb 14 with 838 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 18:01 - Feb 13 by BrianMcCarthy

John, there's a table. And we're top of it!!!!

That's just confused me even more. Top you say, after the first 30 games we've had! Way too fantastic.

Is it related to Nourryspeak or Nourrylogic or Nourrymath or Augmented Nourry-reality?

Anyway, Hoos counting this lot?

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 00:51 - Feb 14 with 838 viewskensalriser

Truths, Damn Truths and Statistics on 23:59 - Feb 13 by ManinBlack

It seems to me that both us and Huddersfield win, draw and lose on the same days so we just can't get above them. Saturday was a great opportunity to finally do that knowing they were away to Southampton but we fluffed our lines with another missed opportunity to go above them on GD. It is the fact we rarely win at home that is stifling any progress. We should be able to beat Rotherham, Birmingham and Wednesday at home but I bet we won't win all three as we play worse against the poorer sides.

A few weeks ago we were 23rd, two points behind Wednesday. Now we're 22nd, two points behind H'field and have another chance to get out of the zone tomorrow. Yes, it's frustrating but we have been inching forward. And we don't always play worse against the weaker sides.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024