Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So where did it all go wrong? 10:20 - Oct 24 with 5838 viewsTheChef

5th place in the Prem in 92/93.

But rather than invest and push on, we started selling off the talent (not sure why though, were we that brassic back then?)

Francis/Marsh hoo ha.

Thompson out.

Chris Wrong in.

Pretty much all downhill since then!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

So where did it all go wrong? on 12:14 - Oct 24 with 1627 viewsBAWHoops

Thing is if you look at who went up 96/97

Bolton are now below us, Barnsley are below us.

Palace went up, came down and then fluked promotion under Holloway and have stayed in the Prem since.

It's all about taking the chance when the opportunity presents itself. 'Smaller' Champ teams like us usually get a promotion tilt once a decade/15 years. Have to make it count and then when you are up need a lot of luck as well.

I'd argue that not sticking the course in 21/22 was a very 'What If' moment because we spunked so much money and have snookered ourselves for this season.

Perhaps when we came down in 2015 under Ramsey we should've once again pushed the boat out to go back up, but we were a complete mess at that point

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

So where did it all go wrong? on 12:33 - Oct 24 with 1569 viewsThGrimRanger

if we just bought best of breed championship and league one players under the age of 28 with a good attitude then life would've been good.

so many bad signings over the years when we've paid. Character never considered. Not only when we're splashing it about in the mental days but also when operating on a tight budget.

our best work has been done on free's like Derry, Clint, Sterling, Eze or loan signings.

would love to see a list of all the players where we have actually spent money to sign over the years - an absolute shit show with few exceptions.

TheGrimRanger

So where did it all go wrong? on 12:39 - Oct 24 with 1541 viewsjoe90

95/96 was my first season and I didn't have a clue what was going on. I knew we weren't good, but I had this sense that success was just around the corner. Fast forward to 2023, I don't have a clue what's going on. I know we're not good, but I still have a feeling that success is just around the corner...am I part of the problem?
So where did it all go wrong? on 12:50 - Oct 24 with 1521 viewsMarshallsan

So where did it all go wrong? on 11:17 - Oct 24 by CamberleyR

No doubt he would have been amongst the division's leading scorers that season, although if Spencer had been signed immediately when we knew he was out long term rather than pissing about with Slade and Charles up front for nearly three months, I still maintain we'd have gone up.

EDIT: Just remembered another. Not signing Matt Jackson permanently after a successful loan spell when Bardsley was out long term with his achilles. Jackson got pissed off with being messed about and went to Norwich.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 11:22]

Steve Slade and Lee Charles! The memories are coming back. Didn't Charles have the (original) Ronaldo triangle of hair just at the front?
So where did it all go wrong? on 12:57 - Oct 24 with 1493 viewsTheChef

So where did it all go wrong? on 11:17 - Oct 24 by CamberleyR

No doubt he would have been amongst the division's leading scorers that season, although if Spencer had been signed immediately when we knew he was out long term rather than pissing about with Slade and Charles up front for nearly three months, I still maintain we'd have gone up.

EDIT: Just remembered another. Not signing Matt Jackson permanently after a successful loan spell when Bardsley was out long term with his achilles. Jackson got pissed off with being messed about and went to Norwich.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 11:22]

Wow yes forgot all about Matt Jackson - he was like a footballing god at the back compared to what we had!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

So where did it all go wrong? on 13:49 - Oct 24 with 1436 viewspaulparker

So where did it all go wrong? on 10:30 - Oct 24 by Northernr

- Not adding just the couple of players it would have needed for that 91-92-93 team to go on and win stuff and play in Europe. You put Kasey Keller and Clive Mendonca in that team, available for about £3m collectively, and that would have done it. Then doubling down on that mistake by not replacing Les adequately, and not getting straight back in 96/97 when the team was surely good enough to do it. All just as the television money was exploding.

- Passing up countless opportunities in our immediate vicinity for a new stadium, allowing all the land to be hoovered up by Westfield et al and the price to sky-rocket.

- Wasting the opportunity we had going back into the Premier League, with rich owners and money to spend. Whacking it all on wnkr footballers and their agents, trusting chancers like Hughes, Rigg and Redknapp, when we could and should have gone in their, consolidated and set the club up for 20 years. Getting a reprieve thanks to the Zamora play-off final, and then doing it all over again.

Totally agree Clive re the 92/93 squad , I’ve always said that if we had got an Alex Rae or an Ian Bishop that would have been just what we needed, when Ray got injured all we had was Maurice Doyle for cover , I mean just think if we had gambled £250k on Stan collymoore before Southend did
The biggest sliding doors moment in QPRs’s history is Gerry leaving , if he had stayed and what he would have done with the Ferdinand money he would never have wasted it on the dross Ray did that money could have seen us until maybe Chris Wright takes over and then he spends the Wright money wisely , imo we would have been challenging for Europe perhaps even winning the odd cup
That for me is where the rot started the day Gerry left , Ray was to nice to be a manager

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

So where did it all go wrong? on 14:52 - Oct 24 with 1376 viewsBostonR

The moment Mark Hateley was introduced as Les's replacement. We never recovered.
So where did it all go wrong? on 15:24 - Oct 24 with 1351 viewsflynnbo

Zelic and Gregory Goodridge too.
Login to get fewer ads

So where did it all go wrong? on 15:28 - Oct 24 with 1343 viewsNorthernr

So where did it all go wrong? on 14:52 - Oct 24 by BostonR

The moment Mark Hateley was introduced as Les's replacement. We never recovered.

On crutches.
So where did it all go wrong? on 15:33 - Oct 24 with 1335 viewskensalriser

So where did it all go wrong? on 15:28 - Oct 24 by Northernr

On crutches.

Half a million per goal. And that was when half a mill could still buy you a nice house in a smart area of London.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

So where did it all go wrong? on 15:36 - Oct 24 with 1327 viewsNewBee

So where did it all go wrong? on 12:50 - Oct 24 by Marshallsan

Steve Slade and Lee Charles! The memories are coming back. Didn't Charles have the (original) Ronaldo triangle of hair just at the front?

Tell you a story about Slade, courtesy of a Spurs mate.

We were both at WHL when SS made his league debut for Spurs as a 20 y.o. vs Wimbledon in December 1995 (thanks Wiki).

Probably played ok without doing much (though I hardly remember anything about the game tbf). Anyhow, my mate made a point of showing me his programme from the following Spurs game, which featured an interview with their latest young league debutant. In it, SS gushed about the whole experience (fair enough), in particular praising Teddy Sheringham for helping him through the game, passing on advice and encouragement etc.

Which was not so "fair enough", since my mate had wangled us both into the Spurs players' bar after the Wimbledon game. And amongst other interesting back stage stories, we earwigged in on SS chatting to some of his mates about the game.

His "chat" (whingeing, more like) being about what a tosser Sheringham was: hogged the ball the whole time, never passed to me once, all about himself etc!

Of course this was all while Sheringham was pitchside doing the post-match interview for TV. For when Sheringham finally made his way up to the bar, SS changed the subject pronto.

PS: When SS eventually made his way to QPR a couple of seasons later, without ever having broken into Spurs First XI, wiki tells me Wilkins paid £350k for him - maybe not excessive in those days for a young prospect who'd played 4 times for England U-21's?

But I do recall my mate saying QPR were paying him £1,500 a week = £75k a year, which if it was bloody good for an established player back in those days, was daylight bloody robbery for an untried kid who went on to score 6 times in 69 league games over the 4 years, before drifting down into non-league and finishing at Ware FC ("Where?") while still in his early 30's.

P.P.S. Wiki also tells me that QPR also sent him out on loan to Brentford, where he played 4 games: no goals and two yellow cards. I'd completely forgotten about that - if I ever even noticed at the time.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2023 15:37]
So where did it all go wrong? on 16:29 - Oct 24 with 1266 viewsHAYESBOY

Smells like a trout farm in here

So where did it all go wrong? on 22:22 - Oct 24 with 1154 viewsdigswellhoop

we thought we were real Madrid with the money now we really in the 💩💩💩💩💩💩💩
So where did it all go wrong? on 14:13 - Oct 25 with 1048 viewsBAWHoops

So where did it all go wrong? on 15:36 - Oct 24 by NewBee

We were both at WHL when SS made his league debut for Spurs as a 20 y.o. vs Wimbledon in December 1995 (thanks Wiki).

Probably played ok without doing much (though I hardly remember anything about the game tbf). Anyhow, my mate made a point of showing me his programme from the following Spurs game, which featured an interview with their latest young league debutant. In it, SS gushed about the whole experience (fair enough), in particular praising Teddy Sheringham for helping him through the game, passing on advice and encouragement etc.

Which was not so "fair enough", since my mate had wangled us both into the Spurs players' bar after the Wimbledon game. And amongst other interesting back stage stories, we earwigged in on SS chatting to some of his mates about the game.

His "chat" (whingeing, more like) being about what a tosser Sheringham was: hogged the ball the whole time, never passed to me once, all about himself etc!

Of course this was all while Sheringham was pitchside doing the post-match interview for TV. For when Sheringham finally made his way up to the bar, SS changed the subject pronto.

PS: When SS eventually made his way to QPR a couple of seasons later, without ever having broken into Spurs First XI, wiki tells me Wilkins paid £350k for him - maybe not excessive in those days for a young prospect who'd played 4 times for England U-21's?

But I do recall my mate saying QPR were paying him £1,500 a week = £75k a year, which if it was bloody good for an established player back in those days, was daylight bloody robbery for an untried kid who went on to score 6 times in 69 league games over the 4 years, before drifting down into non-league and finishing at Ware FC ("Where?") while still in his early 30's.

P.P.S. Wiki also tells me that QPR also sent him out on loan to Brentford, where he played 4 games: no goals and two yellow cards. I'd completely forgotten about that - if I ever even noticed at the time.

Slade also *allegedly* had sticky fingers in the dressing room

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

So where did it all go wrong? on 14:20 - Oct 25 with 1037 viewsrbee

Tony Fernandes.
So where did it all go wrong? on 15:06 - Oct 25 with 957 viewsRangersw12

Paladini started the rot
So where did it all go wrong? on 15:26 - Oct 25 with 925 viewsRangersw12

Would also add we've never been the same since they dropped simply the best as they run out
So where did it all go wrong? on 16:54 - Oct 25 with 853 viewshubble

It all started with Chris Wrong for me. Never liked the bloke, wasn't even a proper fan (what was he really, Scunthorpe or something, that would have been appropriate), always complained like someone had made him buy us, and then he saddled us with that debt before feckin off and leave us in the shite. Plus he turned down the option to buy the school, which could have meant a proper stadium rebuild. All that followed, Paladini, etc. etc. can be traced to that in one form or another.

But Ferdnandes just made it all ten times worse, when he had an amazing opportunity to sort everything out and put the club on a solid foooting. Criminal what he did. Starting to think we'll never pull clear of this quagmire.

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

So where did it all go wrong? on 18:07 - Oct 25 with 812 viewsBushRanger82

The Malaysians came in.
So where did it all go wrong? on 07:43 - Oct 26 with 701 viewsSharpediver

I met David O'Leary in 1996. His son was a pupil at the school where I worked back then. He told me he'd had a recent conversation with Ray Wilkins and asked him why he'd signed Hately rather than Niall Quinn who he could have snapped up easily for about the same transfer fee...
So where did it all go wrong? on 08:46 - Oct 26 with 672 viewsSydneyRs

- Not adding just the couple of players it would have needed for that 91-92-93 team to go on and win stuff and play in Europe. You put Kasey Keller and Clive Mendonca in that team, available for about £3m collectively, and that would have done it. Then doubling down on that mistake by not replacing Les adequately, and not getting straight back in 96/97 when the team was surely good enough to do it. All just as the television money was exploding.

- Passing up countless opportunities in our immediate vicinity for a new stadium, allowing all the land to be hoovered up by Westfield et al and the price to sky-rocket.

- Wasting the opportunity we had going back into the Premier League, with rich owners and money to spend. Whacking it all on wnkr footballers and their agents, trusting chancers like Hughes, Rigg and Redknapp, when we could and should have gone in their, consolidated and set the club up for 20 years. Getting a reprieve thanks to the Zamora play-off final, and then doing it all over again.

There were several occasions in that early 90s period where we performed brilliantly and I recall remarking we were a couple of players away from being real contenders. Sadly we know the rest.
So where did it all go wrong? on 08:50 - Oct 26 with 659 viewsSydneyRs

So where did it all go wrong? on 15:36 - Oct 24 by NewBee

I saw details of Dennis Wise's income through work around that time and he was on around the same as you're quoting for Slade there. Chelsea captain vs a nobody.

Interestingly a good mate of mine who is a Spurs fan told me we'd "got a bargain" when we signed Slade. I occasionally remind him of this much to his embarrassment. Although I was there when he scored a cracking goal at Watford away. We lost of course, late winner for them.
So where did it all go wrong? on 09:02 - Oct 26 with 649 viewsCamberleyR

Just thought of another that slipped the net. Didn't Matt Elliott go to Leicester from Oxford that season? Although Leicester were in the Premier League at the time.

Poll: Which is the worst QPR team?

So where did it all go wrong? on 09:51 - Oct 26 with 628 viewsBluce_Ree

Ian Holloway as a player in our midfield. Just at the point when we were at our best in the '90s. Imagine if we'd had a midfielder as good as some of our best players then.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

So where did it all go wrong? on 09:54 - Oct 26 with 627 viewsParkRoyalR

Short-Term, the signings and subsequent behaviours of Charlie Austin & Andre Gray,

Warburton mis-calculated that Gray was still the hungry young professional he had previously worked with and should have done his research better on Austin's character, although we were desperate for goals at the time and he had to gamble,

No excuse for their subsequent lack of professionalism which in no small part led to Warburton's falling out with the DoF / Board, resulting in the only person with a proper work ethic and a modicum of professionalism being forced out of the club, and it's no surprise where we now find ourselves.

Medium to Long-Term, too many to mention.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024