Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
So where did it all go wrong? 10:20 - Oct 24 with 5846 viewsTheChef

5th place in the Prem in 92/93.

But rather than invest and push on, we started selling off the talent (not sure why though, were we that brassic back then?)

Francis/Marsh hoo ha.

Thompson out.

Chris Wrong in.

Pretty much all downhill since then!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

So where did it all go wrong? on 10:08 - Oct 26 with 475 viewsnadera78

So where did it all go wrong? on 09:02 - Oct 26 by CamberleyR

Just thought of another that slipped the net. Didn't Matt Elliott go to Leicester from Oxford that season? Although Leicester were in the Premier League at the time.

Yes, first home game of the season v Oxford and Elliott was excellent for them. Think we sneaked a 2-1 win in the end.

Of all the mistakes listed previously, the that had the longest lasting effect was not appointing Alan Curbishly in 1996. Good chance he'd have brought Rufus and Kinsella with him from Charlton, and perhaps signed Mendonca the following summer.

In the end Stewart Houston (and the poisonous Rioch) got the job and signed Morrow, Sheron and Harper, whilst rejecting Paolo Wanchope! Fell apart from there on, to the point that Ray Harford signed Vinnie bloody Jones and we swapped Sinclair for some crash test dummies. Only went in one direction from that point onwards.
So where did it all go wrong? on 10:15 - Oct 26 with 469 viewsPhilmyRs

Five key moments for me in my time supporting Rangers where major fck ups/wrong decisions have cost us. They haven't all been terminal, and we've been able to recover but perhaps the way it's going now, it could be the final nail...

Les Ferdinand not being replaced - we were relatively comfortable and doing well in the top flight, and always able to balance the books every year and recruit well. Selling Ferdinand killed us. We wasted the money and never recovered. I do think we were very unlucky that season too, which should be acknowledged. So many late goals, so many missed chances, some missed penalties all contributed to our relegation. We're not a lucky club.

The Wright Years - of the clubs that got relegated, the ones that returned to the premier league, I'm pretty sure they all kept their Manager from the previous season (Big Sam?), I would have kept Wilkins. We played Bolton and if we'd won we'd have gone top, but lost, and that was the last we saw of Ray. I would have given him more time. But once the decision to get rid of Wilkins was made, we made a cluster fck of an appointment in Stuart Houghston. That team should have walked the division, the Manager has to take the bulk of the blame.

The Paladini Years - think this divisive period was very damaging. I think we could have built a very decent club, with decent people involved that looked out for the interests of the team - Bill Power etc. - but we went in the wrong direction. Never really recovered.

The Flavio/Briatore years - Once in the promised land, I think we could have recruited better. Never sure if this was down to Warnock or the timing of the takeover, but felt we should have done better in the transfer market.

Big Tony - where to start, so many points in time we've got it wrong. BUT after surviving that first season, we should have kicked on. We should have recruited better, we should have got the right type of players to develop and press on as a club, we just fcked up as usual. We're now picking up the mess created by Fernandes and the others from their reckless ownership of the club.

You never know, one day we may be arguing "where did it all go right", perhaps we'll cite the training ground as a factor, but that "right thing" feels very much like it will have to be some significant overhaul in how the club is managed - both from the non-footballing people and the Coaching staff.
So where did it all go wrong? on 10:16 - Oct 26 with 468 viewsTheChef

So where did it all go wrong? on 10:08 - Oct 26 by nadera78

Yes, first home game of the season v Oxford and Elliott was excellent for them. Think we sneaked a 2-1 win in the end.

Of all the mistakes listed previously, the that had the longest lasting effect was not appointing Alan Curbishly in 1996. Good chance he'd have brought Rufus and Kinsella with him from Charlton, and perhaps signed Mendonca the following summer.

In the end Stewart Houston (and the poisonous Rioch) got the job and signed Morrow, Sheron and Harper, whilst rejecting Paolo Wanchope! Fell apart from there on, to the point that Ray Harford signed Vinnie bloody Jones and we swapped Sinclair for some crash test dummies. Only went in one direction from that point onwards.

Still no idea how that Houston/Rioch appointment came about. Especially since at Arsenal Houston worked under Rioch - and then at QPR the roles were switched? Bizarre.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024