Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 18:33 - Apr 28 with 14978 viewsSwissdale

Thread title is the story of our season, and the reason (despite us having a strong enough team for a mid-table finish) we will be relegated.

Baffling team selections, tactics and substitutions have been abundant throughout the season — but have come to their crescendo in the last few weeks. Can someone explain, in the most important matches of the season over the past two weeks, how Joe Thompson and Matthew Gillam have been given so much game time?

We’ve desperately needed (what should have been achievable) wins over the past 4 games, so why have we played them ALL without a striker?

We haven’t been able to hold onto a 1 goal lead all season, so why aren’t we carrying on taking the game to the opposition in search of that second goal?

The players have got a lot to answer for. Ian Henderson being sent off v Peterborough is criminal at such an important stage of the season, but there are so many examples of players making poor decisions / mistakes that have cost us points in this run in (Done v Pompey, Lillis v Bradford, Camps today).

I still believe Keith Hill is the man for the job, but this season has eroded a LOT of his goodwill. It seems to me something has changed in his mentality, and it’s playing out in the way he interviews, and the way his team is performing. Let’s hope a relegation will give him the kick up the backside he needs, and revert back to what we know is a winning formula — Disciplined, physically fit players who play positive attacking football.
Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 09:52 - Apr 30 with 1907 viewstony_roch975

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 09:36 - Apr 30 by dawlishdale

There are two Jim McNulty's.

The one who can't play in a back four and is an absolute liability.

Then there is the one who plays in a back three with wing backs, who is calm, assured and brave.

The former is L2/Conference standard, whilst the latter is a good solid L1 player.

Which one we see depends almost entirely on Hills team formation/tactics.

Different strengths - McNulty has the experience and in the middle of a 3 has cover either side so isn't so easily turned /facing the opposition so he can see the situation and lead - he's the best leader on the pitch; McGahey is young, still learning and sometimes caught out positionally but his pace and strength have got him (and us) out of trouble dozens of times + his driving runs when playing right CB are a real threat. But tis all academic - McNulty is contracted and will be staying, McGahey will be off, sadly.

Poll: What sort of Club do we want - if we can't have the status quo

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 11:21 - Apr 30 with 1807 viewsParkinsGimp

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 20:31 - Apr 28 by ChaffRAFC

A good 80% of this disastrous season is on Hill. The rest is split up between the football club and the players.

Hill's recruitment has been a complete and utter shambles. This season we've signed:

Reece Brown
Donervon Daniels
Ryan Delaney
Alex Dobre
Matt Done
Sam Hart
Stephen Humphrys
Bradden Inman
Billy Knott
Brendan Moore
Kgosi Ntlhe
Jordan Slew
Jordan Williams
MJ Williams
Scott Wiseman

That's 15 players! And of those 15 players, I'd argue that 4 have impressed. Wiseman has done ok, MJ was impressive before being injured, Inman has done well recently and in spells this season but has gone missing too much as well, Humphrys has done ok, Done has featured in pretty much every match but is a shadow of his former self and Delaney has done well. The rest have been a complete and utter waste of wages.

Of all these signings, we still didn't strengthen the key areas. We were crying out for a defensive midfielder in the Perkins mould who would add experience to the young midfield. Even when MJ went back to the scousers, we didn't bring anyone in to fill that role and it told. We tried Rafferty there and it just hasn't worked.

We lost Allen, NML and Lund in the summer but kept Camps. I'd swap Camps for Lund or Allen any day of the week based on this season. Camps has been awful. He's not captain material, and for our most creative and threatening midfielder, he's scored twice in the league and let a right back take the penalty against Oldham. Said a lot about him for me that.

There are too many players in the squad who simply aren't League One standard. We are punching above our weight and we all know that but we're here on merit and we rely on Hill being crafty and shrewd in the transfer market and he couldn't have got it more wrong.

Our senior players like Camps, Andrew, Davies, Henderson and Rafferty have to shoulder a fair bit of blame. Without Hendo we'd have been down in February but his recent sending off added unnecessary pressure to a squad lacking in quality as it is. Calvin Andrew has been immense recently, his hold up play and his work rate has been top class but you cannot ignore the fact he's our number 9 and has scored just 3 league goals all season. Steven Davies can't stay fit and therefore has only started 8 times in the league. He's proven his quality by scoring more league goals than Andrew and Camps put together despite only starting 8 games. But we can't carry someone who can't be asked to play 90 minutes at any point in the season.

The baffling team selections have hindered us massively as well and there's only Hill can take the blame for this. I remember at Donny away on the Friday night that we had 6 players playing out of position. It's just staggering. I've never before seen it where a substitution has come on and had zero clue as to where he's playing to the point where you're expecting him to have to come off. I've seen it on more than one occasion this season, Doncaster was one example where nobody had a clue where they were playing and more recently when Kgosi came on and was asked to play midfield! He was clueless and Hill nearly brought him off as soon as he'd put him on, that's down to the manager surely?! Baffling decisions.

I don't care if we're punching above our weight financially, we're here on merit as I've said and relegation should have been very avoidable and the majority is on Hill.

That said, he's earned the right to try and make amends and even if he hadn't earned the right, he's on a five year deal so he's staying regardless.

We could have been going to Sunderland next season, now we're going to Macclesfield instead!

This post has been edited by an administrator

Almost spot on Chaff, I cant agree on Andrew, he is a FUB( Fecking Useless B"stard). This hold up play you speak of gives us nothing if we dont lay it off, he then needs to spin off and move into goal scoring positions, but he doesnt. He rarely wins the ball and our tactical play of hoofing it up to him everytime is so predictable for the opposition , they soon stifle any chance of a reward from that.
I stand by my comments ages ago that Hill and Dumbo has set their stall out for League 2 , their signings and loanees are to test the water to see if they are good enough to fit in , along with two year contract to McNulty and Andrew. I really hope we stay up because it could be Sunderland and Bolton on a visit , instead of Forest Green and Cheltenham.
Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 11:27 - Apr 30 with 1790 viewsfitzochris

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 11:21 - Apr 30 by ParkinsGimp

Almost spot on Chaff, I cant agree on Andrew, he is a FUB( Fecking Useless B"stard). This hold up play you speak of gives us nothing if we dont lay it off, he then needs to spin off and move into goal scoring positions, but he doesnt. He rarely wins the ball and our tactical play of hoofing it up to him everytime is so predictable for the opposition , they soon stifle any chance of a reward from that.
I stand by my comments ages ago that Hill and Dumbo has set their stall out for League 2 , their signings and loanees are to test the water to see if they are good enough to fit in , along with two year contract to McNulty and Andrew. I really hope we stay up because it could be Sunderland and Bolton on a visit , instead of Forest Green and Cheltenham.

Why would Chris Dunphy rather we play in League Two than League One? Absolutely baffling suggestion.

Empty away stands aren’t going to boost the club’s coffers.

Blog: Rochdale 2018/19 part three: Getting points on the board

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 11:44 - Apr 30 with 1760 viewsParkinsGimp

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 11:27 - Apr 30 by fitzochris

Why would Chris Dunphy rather we play in League Two than League One? Absolutely baffling suggestion.

Empty away stands aren’t going to boost the club’s coffers.

I think they are frightened Fitz , they cant cope with big games and full stadiums, it was much better being in Rochdale League, we can potter about and be a bigger fish. They always say the money doesnt matter , we have made a profit , we wont spend so we can survive. But we have had chances at pushing on and speculating to accumulate , but they never do. They seem to want the easy life of no hassles.
They have no respect for the fans , that is obvious.
I hope we stay up I really do and my anger and upset on here is just because i am passionate about the Dale and want us to succeed and I can see the dross around us and cant accept that we should go down with the opposition in the lower half of League One being as bad as us.
I cant see many exciting games in League 2 next season but then again we wont need to deal with Sunderland and maybe Bolton and all the associated aggro so lets host the mighty Macc and a derby with Crewe LOL
Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 11:52 - Apr 30 with 1749 viewsfitzochris

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 11:44 - Apr 30 by ParkinsGimp

I think they are frightened Fitz , they cant cope with big games and full stadiums, it was much better being in Rochdale League, we can potter about and be a bigger fish. They always say the money doesnt matter , we have made a profit , we wont spend so we can survive. But we have had chances at pushing on and speculating to accumulate , but they never do. They seem to want the easy life of no hassles.
They have no respect for the fans , that is obvious.
I hope we stay up I really do and my anger and upset on here is just because i am passionate about the Dale and want us to succeed and I can see the dross around us and cant accept that we should go down with the opposition in the lower half of League One being as bad as us.
I cant see many exciting games in League 2 next season but then again we wont need to deal with Sunderland and maybe Bolton and all the associated aggro so lets host the mighty Macc and a derby with Crewe LOL

I agree that the club hasn’t treated the supporters too well this season, but I can’t agree we are a “bigger fish” in League Two, because we’re not.

We are just as likely to struggle in League Two if we get things wrong over the summer.

At least in League One the associated financial gains make it worthwhile.

I just cannot accept that any sound business plan would want us operating at a level where we are guaranteed to acquire less revenue.

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 12:41 - Apr 30 with 1663 viewsTVOS1907

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 11:52 - Apr 30 by fitzochris

I agree that the club hasn’t treated the supporters too well this season, but I can’t agree we are a “bigger fish” in League Two, because we’re not.

We are just as likely to struggle in League Two if we get things wrong over the summer.

I just cannot accept that any sound business plan would want us operating at a level where we are guaranteed to acquire less revenue.

I wouldn’t waste your breath Fitz, he’s clueless.

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 12:49 - Apr 30 with 1639 viewsrochdale_ranger

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 11:21 - Apr 30 by ParkinsGimp

Dumbo?
Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 13:09 - Apr 30 with 1587 viewsboromat

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 11:52 - Apr 30 by fitzochris

Look at Chesterfield and Port Vale this season. I think both get bigger crowds than us and probably bigger budgets.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Login to get fewer ads

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 13:14 - Apr 30 with 1572 viewsfitzochris

Bad Management and Lack of Professionalism - 2017/18 on 13:09 - Apr 30 by boromat

Look at Chesterfield and Port Vale this season. I think both get bigger crowds than us and probably bigger budgets.

Precisely.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024