Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ist of the season Match Thread! 13:54 - Aug 3 with 17348 viewsYorkshire_Dale

Apparently Dale have not won at Prenton Park since March 1976!

What are the chances today.......I will happily take a 1-1 draw with Olly scoring.

Any team news folks?
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:21 - Aug 3 with 3396 viewsfrenzied

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:17 - Aug 3 by isitme

Some really good stuff today. Build up for the penalty, Hendo's finish for his second. The third was beautiful football. Shame some of the gloss was taken off in the last few minutes.

How bizarre was the o.g?
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:21 - Aug 3 with 3394 viewsShun

Well that was mint. The scoreline made it look far competitive than it was - in reality from the moment we scored our first goal we were absolutely dominant.

Tranmere started off on top, but I thought the defence coped pretty well in the main, and when they didn’t Sanchez was there to make a brilliant save. Sanchez and EOC look like they’re naturals at this playing it from the back stuff, but, as expected, it caused a few problems when we messed it up.

All three goals were great. The move leading up to the penalty, despite it being one of our first forays into their half, was beautiful, as was the move leading up to the third. The second though is an early contender for goal of the season, what a brilliant finish from the master of classy football, Ian Henderson.

Camps my MOM. If that’s what he plays like as an advanced midfielder I don’t know what Hill’s been doing with him for the past 3 years. Pyke seems a lot more dangerous than last season too. Henderson was Henderson, and it was a great debut for Sanchez too.

Great atmosphere too!
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:26 - Aug 3 with 3337 viewsforeverhopefulDale

Magnificent opening to the season.

Poll: Will you be signing up to Direct Debit for Goldbond?

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:32 - Aug 3 with 3252 viewsboromat

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:21 - Aug 3 by Shun

Well that was mint. The scoreline made it look far competitive than it was - in reality from the moment we scored our first goal we were absolutely dominant.

Tranmere started off on top, but I thought the defence coped pretty well in the main, and when they didn’t Sanchez was there to make a brilliant save. Sanchez and EOC look like they’re naturals at this playing it from the back stuff, but, as expected, it caused a few problems when we messed it up.

All three goals were great. The move leading up to the penalty, despite it being one of our first forays into their half, was beautiful, as was the move leading up to the third. The second though is an early contender for goal of the season, what a brilliant finish from the master of classy football, Ian Henderson.

Camps my MOM. If that’s what he plays like as an advanced midfielder I don’t know what Hill’s been doing with him for the past 3 years. Pyke seems a lot more dangerous than last season too. Henderson was Henderson, and it was a great debut for Sanchez too.

Great atmosphere too!

Pretty much spot on that.

Like to see the Dooley OG looked like a blatant foul we were the other side of the pitch though.

Poll: What are we more excited for?

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:34 - Aug 3 with 3228 views442Dale

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:17 - Aug 3 by isitme

Some really good stuff today. Build up for the penalty, Hendo's finish for his second. The third was beautiful football. Shame some of the gloss was taken off in the last few minutes.

Think the end could be a good thing in the long run. Have to learn when to get rid and when to play and we now have a reference point to use as an example. Also not bringing on Calvin when it’s been a tried and trusted tactic, irrespective of how well Ryan did and that we were three up at the time.

Prior to that it was as well as we’ve played since the Spurs game. Some really good football and getting it wide to good effect by switching the play. Goals two and three are as good as we’ll see all season.

Poll: Greatest Ever Dale Game

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:35 - Aug 3 with 3204 viewsCanadaDale

Was great to see a keeper come and get the ball confidently and be a big presence in the box. Made some smart saves through the game when needed and he’s pretty good with his feet.
After watching him today I have no problems with signing him and him being first choice keeper. He could be the difference between taking points from games and not. His accurate distribution may even sneak us a few goals on the counter this season.
Left back was absolutely stand out performer for me today! Gets forward well and crosses dangerous balls in the area. Also a nice tidy finish when the ball came to him. He looked pretty solid defensively too, cleverly playing it off their lad for a throw a few times.
Some great passing that built up to the goals as well.
Gonna be buzzing the rest of the day over here after that result.
Up The Dale!
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:36 - Aug 3 with 3195 viewsboromat

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:34 - Aug 3 by 442Dale

Think the end could be a good thing in the long run. Have to learn when to get rid and when to play and we now have a reference point to use as an example. Also not bringing on Calvin when it’s been a tried and trusted tactic, irrespective of how well Ryan did and that we were three up at the time.

Prior to that it was as well as we’ve played since the Spurs game. Some really good football and getting it wide to good effect by switching the play. Goals two and three are as good as we’ll see all season.

The lead up to the third was something!!

Great first game of the season. Very entertaining.

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:38 - Aug 3 with 3164 viewsscarrow

Excellent performance. Hendo what a finish and what a team goal for the third

Poll: Final position

Login to get fewer ads

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:38 - Aug 3 with 3161 viewsHealeyDale

I thought everyone had a great game but MJ Williams stood out for me. Second and third goals were sublime. The last 10 minutes, letting them back in, was the sort of thing Rochdale do - brilliant first day of the season!
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 17:59 - Aug 3 with 2987 viewsleedsdale

I was sat in the home end with my brother in law - couldn’t believe how the last few minutes played out, we were so comfortable at 3-0!

I thought we contained Tranmere well in the first half and then opened them up well in the second: some of our passing moves in the second half were excellent. We will definitely come up against better teams than them this season, but it should help to build confidence and reinforce some of the ideas BBM has been wanting to implement.

RND was excellent and looks a real find: good at both defending and getting forward. Sanchez did impressed for the most part with some confident moments (although I wasn’t watching for the OG so I’ve no idea if he was to blame it not!) and the only player I wasn’t particularly impressed by was Pyke.
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 18:16 - Aug 3 with 2868 viewsjonahwhereru

It is interesting to read the positive comments on here. I was just following the BBC updates and they kind of infer that we kept scoring when Tranmere were building up a head of steam. They had plenty of attempts. However on here it suggests it was comfortable. always good when at least 4 players are touted as the standout. Will have done Camps a power of good. Plus Morley has been involved in a league win and Ryan got some minutes.
Was the Rathbone injury a bad one?
UTD
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 18:19 - Aug 3 with 2838 viewsleedsdale

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 18:16 - Aug 3 by jonahwhereru

It is interesting to read the positive comments on here. I was just following the BBC updates and they kind of infer that we kept scoring when Tranmere were building up a head of steam. They had plenty of attempts. However on here it suggests it was comfortable. always good when at least 4 players are touted as the standout. Will have done Camps a power of good. Plus Morley has been involved in a league win and Ryan got some minutes.
UTD

Tranmere our in a lot of effort but lacked a cutting edge, until we gave them one in the last few minutes! We showed a bit more nous than they did and then played some exhibition stuff in the second half which was a joy to watch. Can’t remember seeing a move where “Ole’s” are being shouted that ended up in a goal!
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 18:23 - Aug 3 with 2802 viewsNigeriamark

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 18:16 - Aug 3 by jonahwhereru

UTD

Was a reckless challenge and after he was treated on the pitch he refused to shake the culprits hand. He walked off under his own steam so hopefully OK. Looked a good overall performance but unfortunately I had a weak internet connection so I-follow kept cutting out including for all 3 goals and the last 10 minutes !!! based on what I saw Tranmere looked OK at times but at the end of the day the result really counts on the opening day and I am delighted with that result. The 2 late goals don't take any gloss of the result for me as I would have snapped anyones hand of for a win before the game started ( Would probably have taken a draw)
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 18:35 - Aug 3 with 2706 viewsDMR90

Great start to the season and very interesting to see the tactical changes that BBM is implementing:

Goalkeeper - Sanchez is very confident and made some excellent saves with his hands and feet. Prone to lapses in concentration but was excellent at playing short passes to start attacks/possession.
Defence - 4 at the back with the full backs hugging the touchline in possession and MJW dropping back into a 3 when required. O'Connell had a good game; he looks very composed and is definitely a ball-playing defender. RND was brilliant! He's an athlete, full of energy and great on the ball
Midfield - Camps is much, much better when not in the CDM role and was involved throughout. The midfield worked well and there were always 1 or 2 players in space to give passing options, hence there was a lot of neat passes.
Henderson - he's a genius! Only he would try to lob the ball into the far side netting, it seemed to take forward to drop down

Fans - there were some cracking songs sung today!
[Post edited 3 Aug 2019 18:38]
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 19:08 - Aug 3 with 2542 viewsDaleiLama

That was like watching Dale in the 4 seasons where we were a top-half L1 outfit. Some really good moves and everyone supporting each other. Lovely flowing football and very entertaining. Defensively some improvements to make but 3 goals away on first game of season? I'm as happy as Larry.

Refreshment rooms at Rock Ferry made it a most memorable opening day. Can't wait for Saturday now.

Up the Dale - NOT for sale!
Poll: Is it coming home?

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 19:29 - Aug 3 with 2449 viewsNigeriamark

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 18:35 - Aug 3 by DMR90

Great start to the season and very interesting to see the tactical changes that BBM is implementing:

Goalkeeper - Sanchez is very confident and made some excellent saves with his hands and feet. Prone to lapses in concentration but was excellent at playing short passes to start attacks/possession.
Defence - 4 at the back with the full backs hugging the touchline in possession and MJW dropping back into a 3 when required. O'Connell had a good game; he looks very composed and is definitely a ball-playing defender. RND was brilliant! He's an athlete, full of energy and great on the ball
Midfield - Camps is much, much better when not in the CDM role and was involved throughout. The midfield worked well and there were always 1 or 2 players in space to give passing options, hence there was a lot of neat passes.
Henderson - he's a genius! Only he would try to lob the ball into the far side netting, it seemed to take forward to drop down

Fans - there were some cracking songs sung today!
[Post edited 3 Aug 2019 18:38]

Gate of 8,000. How many Dale fans?
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 19:36 - Aug 3 with 2403 viewsboromat

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 19:29 - Aug 3 by Nigeriamark

Gate of 8,000. How many Dale fans?

We didn't make the 4 figures unfortunately. 900 and odd.

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 19:39 - Aug 3 with 2378 viewsNigeriamark

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 19:36 - Aug 3 by boromat

Not bad. Probably about a third of our average home fanbase travelling
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 19:51 - Aug 3 with 2293 viewsrochdaleriddler

Great atmosphere , friendly place. Top performance

Poll: Will you download and use the contract tracing App being launched by the Govt

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 19:53 - Aug 3 with 2278 viewsnordenblue

What a contrast to some of the crap from 2 seasons previous, it's superb to see so much width also with both full backs very comfy on the ball coming forward and defending. Dooley should just be left to roam central and pull the strings as I think he's far more use than stuck out wide.
3rd goal was nothing short of perfection and the lads a real find at left back.

What is there possibly left to say about Hendo that hasnt already been said before,that second goal will live long long in the memory, there's only him on the pitch capable of not only seeing that opportunity but to execute it to perfection is something very special indeed.
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 20:02 - Aug 3 with 2232 viewstodmordendale

Fantastic performance al round. Good football with a buccaneering swagger at times.
So looking forward to Saturday and maybe 3 points to give more confidence. Remember that the 3 best players on the pitch actually played in their best positions, a thing which Hill seldom did for any of them. Well done BBM. A well structured pre season has done wonders.
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 20:03 - Aug 3 with 2228 viewsSteveo473

Took my lad, 1st ever away game (not including Ramsbottom!), absolutely loved it. We are both buzzing and 1st time season ticket holders this year. What an atmosphere as well...BBM'S Barmy Army!!!
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 21:02 - Aug 3 with 1990 viewsoff2div1

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 19:36 - Aug 3 by boromat

How many Bury fans looking for a financially viable team to support
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 21:13 - Aug 3 with 1916 viewsKnowlesy

Just watched the highlights, some great goals bodes well for the season. Obviously can't judge off one game.

One potential spanner in the works is that Jimmy Ryan has a good old tug of their number 10's hair in the aftermath of their sending off. Could be one for a retrospective ban if the FA see that.
Ist of the season Match Thread! on 21:14 - Aug 3 with 1904 viewsboromat

Ist of the season Match Thread! on 21:02 - Aug 3 by off2div1

How many Bury fans looking for a financially viable team to support

None I should imagine. We've been through this sort of bucket shaking before. They don't change, it'll all be forgotten next season.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024