Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
items on pitches 14:20 - Nov 8 with 3153 viewsthemodfather

a few mentions of things lobbed at our games but how many fireworks and flares chucked on pitches recently?? one game abandoned in essex due to fireworks nearly hitting player from garden near ground!, a few seen on tv fa cup games....
items on pitches on 14:41 - Nov 8 with 3078 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Here’s one to make PinnerPaul shiver.

I used play in the Watford Olympian league in the late 90s / early 2000s, and one time we arrived at the pitch and some little shits had set light to a van in one of the penalty areas.

We cleared it off but obviously there was a ton of debri around and the pitch was fcked.

Somehow we went ahead but had this deal where if one side was awarded a penalty then it would be taken in the other end regardless of who was in the goal at the time because the markings were gone and massive tire tracks across the area.

It was an obvious farce and should never have gone ahead but in the last few minutes we get awarded a penalty after a foul in the torn up end. Loads of confusion as to what our keeper was supposed to do so we basically just swapped ends. Anyway their bastard keeper saves it and the whole 22 going mental trying to shoot at the same goal because they hadn’t got the memo from the ref. Our keeper running up and down the pitch waving his arms not knowing what end he was supposed to be.

Mental but hilarious in hindsight.
items on pitches on 16:25 - Nov 8 with 2918 viewsterryb

A great story Baz.

Another one in the good intentions going wrong saga!
items on pitches on 17:16 - Nov 8 with 2845 viewsPinnerPaul

items on pitches on 14:41 - Nov 8 by BazzaInTheLoft

Here’s one to make PinnerPaul shiver.

I used play in the Watford Olympian league in the late 90s / early 2000s, and one time we arrived at the pitch and some little shits had set light to a van in one of the penalty areas.

We cleared it off but obviously there was a ton of debri around and the pitch was fcked.

Somehow we went ahead but had this deal where if one side was awarded a penalty then it would be taken in the other end regardless of who was in the goal at the time because the markings were gone and massive tire tracks across the area.

It was an obvious farce and should never have gone ahead but in the last few minutes we get awarded a penalty after a foul in the torn up end. Loads of confusion as to what our keeper was supposed to do so we basically just swapped ends. Anyway their bastard keeper saves it and the whole 22 going mental trying to shoot at the same goal because they hadn’t got the memo from the ref. Our keeper running up and down the pitch waving his arms not knowing what end he was supposed to be.

Mental but hilarious in hindsight.

Lets just call it 'unusual' by the referee shall we?!
items on pitches on 17:17 - Nov 8 with 2843 viewsPinnerPaul

I was at Northwood on the line last Thursday and couldn't hear the referee's whistle for the fireworks near the ground!
items on pitches on 19:46 - Nov 8 with 2692 viewsSnipper

items on pitches on 17:16 - Nov 8 by PinnerPaul

Lets just call it 'unusual' by the referee shall we?!

Not an item on the pitch, but a lack of something. We played in the Sportmans Sunday League. Anyway, one Sunday we were about to start a match, and we noticed there were no penalty spots. One of our lot mentioned it to the ref, who then told both teams that there’ll be no penalties awarded as there’s no penalty spots. Both teams looked on bemused before telling the referee that he couldn’t do that.

There were tackles made in the area and handballs in the area that would’ve resulted in a penalty in any other match.
items on pitches on 20:09 - Nov 8 with 2658 viewsozranger

I'll add one of the Oz-orientation. Almost all the pitches at the lower levels where I lived are basically just parks with pitches, no enclosure and some not too far from the bush. So, one game came up and the referee inspected the pitch for anything that may cause a problem, like glass etc. so that these could be removed prior to ko. Well, this referee was doing "right-wings"* as per almost all referees and he noted, fortunately for him, that there was an amount of roo poo located directly on the diagonal he would be running. So, he chose to do left-wings instead to avoid the poo. Not sure what happened with the players.

* What is meant by right-wings is that the assistants are on the right wings of the attacking side they are watching for off-sides. Thus, the referee runs a diagonal from the right back to the left wing.
items on pitches on 09:00 - Nov 9 with 2487 viewsloftboy

items on pitches on 20:09 - Nov 8 by ozranger

I'll add one of the Oz-orientation. Almost all the pitches at the lower levels where I lived are basically just parks with pitches, no enclosure and some not too far from the bush. So, one game came up and the referee inspected the pitch for anything that may cause a problem, like glass etc. so that these could be removed prior to ko. Well, this referee was doing "right-wings"* as per almost all referees and he noted, fortunately for him, that there was an amount of roo poo located directly on the diagonal he would be running. So, he chose to do left-wings instead to avoid the poo. Not sure what happened with the players.

* What is meant by right-wings is that the assistants are on the right wings of the attacking side they are watching for off-sides. Thus, the referee runs a diagonal from the right back to the left wing.

It was quite common in the 70’s and 80,s at half time instead of the linos swapping sides they would move down the pitch so running left wings second half.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

items on pitches on 09:56 - Nov 9 with 2421 viewsslmrstid

I remember in my football days turning up to a council pitch one morning and there being a dead pigeon in the middle of the pitch.

No-one fancied moving it by hand and eventually someone got a shovel to shift it. Quite a few feathers were still fluttering around the pitch all during the game though!
Login to get fewer ads

items on pitches on 11:20 - Nov 9 with 2339 viewsstowmarketrange

items on pitches on 09:00 - Nov 9 by loftboy

It was quite common in the 70’s and 80,s at half time instead of the linos swapping sides they would move down the pitch so running left wings second half.

I run the line for my granddaughter’s U15 team and we have to stay on our left back’s side for both halves.I wouldn’t say no to staying on the same side all game for a change,but it’s just an accepted habit now.
items on pitches on 13:49 - Nov 9 with 2209 viewsPinnerPaul

items on pitches on 19:46 - Nov 8 by Snipper

Not an item on the pitch, but a lack of something. We played in the Sportmans Sunday League. Anyway, one Sunday we were about to start a match, and we noticed there were no penalty spots. One of our lot mentioned it to the ref, who then told both teams that there’ll be no penalties awarded as there’s no penalty spots. Both teams looked on bemused before telling the referee that he couldn’t do that.

There were tackles made in the area and handballs in the area that would’ve resulted in a penalty in any other match.

See my post above!

If you give a pen, just pace out the 12 yards and make a 'mark' on the pitch - that's all it has to be as LOTG, and off we go.
items on pitches on 13:52 - Nov 9 with 2200 viewsBrianMcCarthy

One of our Whingeing Donkey XI's games at the Scrubs was held up due to a plane crashing in our penalty area.

It was a model plane, but I usually leave that bit out of the story.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

items on pitches on 18:42 - Nov 9 with 2025 viewshantssi

items on pitches on 13:49 - Nov 9 by PinnerPaul

See my post above!

If you give a pen, just pace out the 12 yards and make a 'mark' on the pitch - that's all it has to be as LOTG, and off we go.

Anyone remember Joe Corrigan doing that back in the day?
items on pitches on 18:52 - Nov 9 with 2011 viewsstowmarketrange

items on pitches on 13:49 - Nov 9 by PinnerPaul

See my post above!

I remember that happening at the Baseball ground in the early 70’s.The groundsman came on with a tape measure and a bucket of line marking chalk.
items on pitches on 18:58 - Nov 9 with 2003 viewsMick_S

items on pitches on 13:52 - Nov 9 by BrianMcCarthy

One of our Whingeing Donkey XI's games at the Scrubs was held up due to a plane crashing in our penalty area.

You may have picked the wrong week, Brian.

Did I ever mention that I was in Minder?

items on pitches on 19:10 - Nov 9 with 1980 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

items on pitches on 13:52 - Nov 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Bloody chippies.
items on pitches on 19:47 - Nov 9 with 1950 viewsenfieldargh

Home v West Ham fa cup David pizanti

Lots of horsey poo

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

items on pitches on 20:06 - Nov 9 with 1925 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

items on pitches on 19:47 - Nov 9 by enfieldargh

Home v West Ham fa cup David pizanti

Lots of horsey poo

Harsh. Was he really that bad?
items on pitches on 08:28 - Nov 10 with 1790 viewswombat

items on pitches on 20:06 - Nov 9 by BazzaInTheLoft

Harsh. Was he really that bad?

Can remember a game at warren farm when a huge swarm of bees invaded the pitch at head height , never knew some of our players could run so fast

Poll: which is your favouite foot

items on pitches on 08:39 - Nov 10 with 1772 viewseastside_r

items on pitches on 08:28 - Nov 10 by wombat

Can remember a game at warren farm when a huge swarm of bees invaded the pitch at head height , never knew some of our players could run so fast

Bees and Warren Farm - that definitely is a sore point.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024