Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Wales 13:24 - Oct 31 with 10270 viewspencoedjack

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/63456797

Strange we want to be called by a name only a small % of the country speak.

Very small minded but I’m sure it will keep a few idiots happy.
Wales on 13:34 - Oct 31 with 3400 viewsReslovenSwan1

100% of Welsh people know the name. Some of our recent immigrant population will pick it up easy enough. Everyone is doing it these days. Beijing, Turkiye etc.

Wales actually means 'foreigner' in Anglo Saxon. No one should feel a foreigner in our little land even foreigners.

Welsh football fans need to stop existing through English spectrum in general. Flag waving people labelling other people idiots are agitators in my view.

FAW is democratic and will enact the democratic will of the members. Hardly a "few idiots". Old boy prejudices are slowly been broken down.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Wales on 13:38 - Oct 31 with 3425 viewsFireboy2

Whether welsh people speak it or not its the proper name of our country

I don't see a problem, the pro anglos are going to have a fit though 🤣
Wales on 13:46 - Oct 31 with 3410 viewsKeithHaynes

Wales on 13:38 - Oct 31 by Fireboy2

I think around 35% over the age of three speak Welsh .

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Wales on 13:54 - Oct 31 with 3393 viewsbuilthjack

Wales on 13:46 - Oct 31 by KeithHaynes

Growing steadily too.
Cymru has been used by the FAW and fans for a few years.

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales on 14:08 - Oct 31 with 3375 viewsSkipTheJack

The name Wales comes from wealas, a Saxon insult meaning foreigner (ironic really, because the Angles and Saxons were the foreigners in Britain, not us!).

There can't be many countries that refer to themselves using an insult.

If people really don't like using Cymru in the English language, then what about the Latinised form Cambria?
[Post edited 31 Oct 2022 14:13]
Wales on 14:11 - Oct 31 with 3368 viewsLohengrin

Wales on 13:34 - Oct 31 by ReslovenSwan1

100% of Welsh people know the name. Some of our recent immigrant population will pick it up easy enough. Everyone is doing it these days. Beijing, Turkiye etc.

Wales actually means 'foreigner' in Anglo Saxon. No one should feel a foreigner in our little land even foreigners.

Welsh football fans need to stop existing through English spectrum in general. Flag waving people labelling other people idiots are agitators in my view.

FAW is democratic and will enact the democratic will of the members. Hardly a "few idiots". Old boy prejudices are slowly been broken down.

What “old boy prejudices?”

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Wales on 14:18 - Oct 31 with 3316 viewsReslovenSwan1

Wales on 14:08 - Oct 31 by SkipTheJack

The name Wales comes from wealas, a Saxon insult meaning foreigner (ironic really, because the Angles and Saxons were the foreigners in Britain, not us!).

There can't be many countries that refer to themselves using an insult.

If people really don't like using Cymru in the English language, then what about the Latinised form Cambria?
[Post edited 31 Oct 2022 14:13]

I stopped in a tea shop at a converted railway station in Kent 5 years ago while working on the railways. I had a coffee and a cake. I asked what is that cake. She said "soaked tea fruit cake" and it was called this on the board.

I said it is like the Welsh "bara brith". She looked at the package and it was Howells "Bara brith". They do not white wash French delicatessies like this,

Welsh is ritually and iuncousonessly whitewashed over he border and has been for centuries. Celts lived in the whole of the UK for centuries but little evidence of it now.

BBC hated the word 'Dyfed' and invested in the wording "West Wales" for Dyfed. It has struck although technically Ynys Mon is in "west Wales"

Wales on 16:28 - Oct 31 with 3286 viewsLohengrin

Wales on 13:38 - Oct 31 by Fireboy2

If the FAW have seen fit to take down the framed picture of Selwyn Jenkins and replaced it with one of Dafydd Iwan as they hop two-footed down some imagined road of Cymmrodorion purity would anybody like to hazard a guess as to how many of the World Cup squad would fall well short of the new benchmark?

An idea isn't responsible for those who believe in it.

Login to get fewer ads

Wales on 16:36 - Oct 31 with 3274 viewsKilkennyjack

Excellent news.

Our nation is Cymru.
You dont have to be a Professor in Welsh Literature to remember one word.

Vive La Difference. ❤️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🥳

Beware of the Risen People

Wales on 16:44 - Oct 31 with 3267 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 16:28 - Oct 31 by Lohengrin

If the FAW have seen fit to take down the framed picture of Selwyn Jenkins and replaced it with one of Dafydd Iwan as they hop two-footed down some imagined road of Cymmrodorion purity would anybody like to hazard a guess as to how many of the World Cup squad would fall well short of the new benchmark?

But having a clear Cymru identity has been a critical part to achieving more successful football outcomes.
Its been quite deliberate and its been hugely successful.

The day we stopped thinking of ourselves as England ‘B’ team was the day we took full responsibility for improving ourselves.
Englands flounce out of the 100 years of the yearly Home International games was the biggest favour they have ever done for Cymru.

And England still have not won anything in the next (near) 40 years. 🤣

Wales on 16:57 - Oct 31 with 3263 viewsCatullus

Wales on 13:54 - Oct 31 by builthjack

Growing steadily too.
Cymru has been used by the FAW and fans for a few years.

Hang on, the "Football Association of WALES" uses Cymru.

There you go then.

I have pointed out before that the name "Wales" was put on us as an insult. Personally I dont care what word people use, not that much. But shouldn't people be allowed to use the word they are more comfortable with, if that's the anglicised version then so be it.

Just my opinion, but WTF do I know anyway?
Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?
Blog: In, Out, in, out........

Wales on 17:02 - Oct 31 with 3254 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 16:57 - Oct 31 by Catullus

There you go then.

I have pointed out before that the name "Wales" was put on us as an insult. Personally I dont care what word people use, not that much. But shouldn't people be allowed to use the word they are more comfortable with, if that's the anglicised version then so be it.

Yes, the FAW already uses Cymru in all squad announcements, twitter is @Cymru, and even English language articles.

Its a natural progression for us to be seen as ‘CYM’ internationalky rather than ‘WAL’.

Please dont be scared, its just one word.
But its our word. ❤️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Wales on 17:05 - Oct 31 with 3216 viewsReslovenSwan1

There you go then.

The English are not comfortable with Welsh words. Hardly surprising it has a different alphabet. It is one way ticket to extinction. Welsh has plenty of fellow travellers who would give it a little push to the cliff face.

The sweet lady in the Kent cafe was not comfortable with 'bara brith' for fear sales would not be good so re named it 'tea soaked cake'. She would have needed to promote it and give free samples like they do in the supermarket for Polish sausages.

She just called it something English instead. We have to promote ourselves. No one else will.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2022 17:29]

Wales on 17:16 - Oct 31 with 3246 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 17:05 - Oct 31 by ReslovenSwan1

The English are not comfortable with Welsh words. Hardly surprising it has a different alphabet. It is one way ticket to extinction. Welsh has plenty of fellow travellers who would give it a little push to the cliff face.

The sweet lady in the Kent cafe was not comfortable with 'bara brith' for fear sales would not be good so re named it 'tea soaked cake'. She would have needed to promote it and give free samples like they do in the supermarket for Polish sausages.

She just called it something English instead. We have to promote ourselves. No one else will.
[Post edited 31 Oct 2022 17:29]

Very well said.
❤️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Wales on 17:49 - Oct 31 with 3221 viewsCatullus

Wales on 17:02 - Oct 31 by Kilkennyjack

Yes, the FAW already uses Cymru in all squad announcements, twitter is @Cymru, and even English language articles.

Its a natural progression for us to be seen as ‘CYM’ internationalky rather than ‘WAL’.

Please dont be scared, its just one word.
But its our word. ❤️🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Unsurprisingly you completely miessed the point despite the capitalsiation.

Why is it not Football association of Cymru or "Cymdeithas Bêl-droed Cymru"

Who is scared? Why do you have to be so silly?

Poll: Offended by what Brynmill J and Controversial J post on the Ukraine thread?

Wales on 19:58 - Oct 31 with 3158 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 17:49 - Oct 31 by Catullus

Unsurprisingly you completely miessed the point despite the capitalsiation.

Why is it not Football association of Cymru or "Cymdeithas Bêl-droed Cymru"

Who is scared? Why do you have to be so silly?

You seemed rather scared and agitated.
No need though.
Be calm.

Both names will still exist far after anyone posting on here.

But its nice to use our own name for our nation in our own language.
Nice because its an ancient language.
Nice because of the platform football now provides on the international stage.

The imposition of English on the welsh people was cruel by any standard.
The resistance nothing short of heroic.
The fact both languages have equal status in law now is right and proper.

Dewch ymlaen Cymru 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🥳🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

Wales on 20:09 - Oct 31 with 3138 viewsbuilthjack

There you go then.

You don’t like the word Cymru.?

Swansea Indepenent Poster Of The Year 2021. Dr P / Mart66 / Roathie / Parlay / E20/ Duffle was 2nd, but he is deluded and thinks in his little twisted brain that he won. Poor sod. We let him win this year, as he has cried for a whole year. His 14 usernames, bless his cotton socks.

Wales on 20:19 - Oct 31 with 3121 viewsbritferry

and we should be called Abertawe, we'll be top of the league then before every season starts

Poll: Which kid would you give money to?

Wales on 21:21 - Oct 31 with 3062 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 20:19 - Oct 31 by britferry

and we should be called Abertawe, we'll be top of the league then before every season starts

Be good for confidence …..🦢

Wales on 21:41 - Oct 31 with 3023 viewsCatullus

Wales on 20:09 - Oct 31 by builthjack

You don’t like the word Cymru.?

I have no strong feelings about it, where did I say I did? It's just a word but some people seem to get really het up about it.

Posting a opinion, a fact or asking a question about something doesn't indicate a dislike any more than it suggests fear or anything negative.

Wales on 21:48 - Oct 31 with 3007 viewsCatullus

Wales on 19:58 - Oct 31 by Kilkennyjack

You seemed rather scared and agitated.
No need though.
Be calm.

Both names will still exist far after anyone posting on here.

But its nice to use our own name for our nation in our own language.
Nice because its an ancient language.
Nice because of the platform football now provides on the international stage.

The imposition of English on the welsh people was cruel by any standard.
The resistance nothing short of heroic.
The fact both languages have equal status in law now is right and proper.

Dewch ymlaen Cymru 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿🥳🏴󠁧󠁢󠁷󠁬󠁳󠁿

I seemed what? More nonsense. What was there to be scared or agtated about?

Both names, along with millions of other things will be here long after we are all gone. What is the relevance?

It wasn't our own name, as you've been told, it was a word used on us, a word used as an insult. The word "Welsh" is still used as an insult by some as in to welsh on a bet.

Many ancient languages died out mind, you don't hear Sanskrit, Yana or Beothuk being spoken these days but no one cries about that. It's a natural course of things.

Stop living in the past mun, stop crying about things from 600 years ago and more. Live in the modern world. You alway used to criticise people for living in the 70's yet you live in a world that makes the 70's seem like this morning. What are YOU scared of?

Wales on 22:38 - Oct 31 with 2970 viewsKilkennyjack

Wales on 21:48 - Oct 31 by Catullus

I seemed what? More nonsense. What was there to be scared or agtated about?

Both names, along with millions of other things will be here long after we are all gone. What is the relevance?

It wasn't our own name, as you've been told, it was a word used on us, a word used as an insult. The word "Welsh" is still used as an insult by some as in to welsh on a bet.

Many ancient languages died out mind, you don't hear Sanskrit, Yana or Beothuk being spoken these days but no one cries about that. It's a natural course of things.

Stop living in the past mun, stop crying about things from 600 years ago and more. Live in the modern world. You alway used to criticise people for living in the 70's yet you live in a world that makes the 70's seem like this morning. What are YOU scared of?

Calm down mun.

Cymru is our own name, not Wales - obviously … 🤷‍♂️

Wales on 22:49 - Oct 31 with 2964 viewsWhiterockin

Wales on 22:38 - Oct 31 by Kilkennyjack

Calm down mun.

Cymru is our own name, not Wales - obviously … 🤷‍♂️

Does it really matter either way.

Poll: As things stand are you going to vote in the General Election

Wales on 23:11 - Oct 31 with 2929 viewsowainglyndwr

A lot of Welsh spoken and understood in the valleys around Swansea and the west .
My children now grown up both speak the language
Wales on 00:47 - Nov 1 with 2900 viewsbennytheblue

Wales on 13:46 - Oct 31 by KeithHaynes

No chance, and no I don’t believe the recent polls by the welsh government who I believe are fudging the figures to make it seem more popular. The only people I know who speak welsh went to Glantaff. Not that many people do. Got to laugh how they are jumping on the bandwagon of success lately, rugby gone down the tubes so what else they going to do?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024