Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Les Ferdinand — Patreon 09:07 - Feb 9 with 19200 viewsNorthernr

So.... Interview with Les, fresh off the plane from Heathrow after a scouting trip yesterday.

Tried to ask as many of the points that have come up on here as possible.

Read it here...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/59547

Everybody can listen to it on the Patreon whether subscriber or not (we've made this one a free view, it didn't feel right to paywall it given the significance of the interview and the timing, so apologies to our subscribers for that but I hope you understand)

https://www.patreon.com/LoftForWords
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 09:08 - Feb 9 with 7471 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Unreal! Thanks Clive.

Look forward to listening and reading.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 09:46 - Feb 9 with 7191 viewsTK1

Great work, good questions, honest answers. I love Les Ferdinand. You would not be hearing the same answers from Phil Beard, Ali Russell or Gianni Paladini.
When do Rotherham tickets go on sale?
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 09:53 - Feb 9 with 7122 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Great interview Clive. Many thanks.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 09:53 - Feb 9 with 7114 viewsdaveB

brilliant interview that and fair play to him for not ducking away from some difficult questions
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 09:54 - Feb 9 with 7109 viewswood_hoop

Thank you Clive, certainly some food for thought, Les to me came across well, straight answers are not always what is envisaged when hearing from football club senior staff,. but in this case I think they are.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 09:55 - Feb 9 with 7093 viewsRangersw12

I don't think he across well at all and has the same attitude of Hoos just throws his hands up implying can't do anything about it due to the situation I. E FFP, cat 2

Massive malaise around the club and need people in charge to grab it by the horns and make it the best it can be with the restrictions and at the moment we're not

Nonsense answer about loans and the signing of Balogun

He's clealry too worried about what the fans think aswell
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 9:59]
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 09:55 - Feb 9 with 7093 viewsEastR

Great interview Clive, you asked some hard hitting but fair questions.

I've avoided posting on the 'new signing' thread but I'll say this here. His best and most convincing answer was about the signing of Martin.
The Warburton story was, as expected, not convincing.

Sometimes in business/life the best person to get you out of a hole is not necessarily then best placed to take you forward.
Credit to our DOF (and CEO) for turning things around financially at the club, but maybe now is the time to give someone else the opportunity to put the future plan in place.

Poll: Is time up for Ainsworth?

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:09 - Feb 9 with 6975 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Still no reply on why we've gone Cat 2 instead of Cat 1.

Incredibly frustrating.

Login to get fewer ads

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:21 - Feb 9 with 6867 viewsfrancisbowles

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 09:55 - Feb 9 by Rangersw12

I don't think he across well at all and has the same attitude of Hoos just throws his hands up implying can't do anything about it due to the situation I. E FFP, cat 2

Massive malaise around the club and need people in charge to grab it by the horns and make it the best it can be with the restrictions and at the moment we're not

Nonsense answer about loans and the signing of Balogun

He's clealry too worried about what the fans think aswell
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 9:59]

'....do something'

What would you suggest?
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:29 - Feb 9 with 6790 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Overall, it's a very good interview, and Clive hit every question imaginable. Bar the Cat 1 question, nothing was dodged.

But Ferdinand mentions that one of our players who was poached from us for a pittance is now being sold for a lot more money. We're losing out on that as long as we're Cat 2. That's the silver bullet, surely. That's our way out. And another opportunity to explain why has now come and gone.

I may be over-focussing on this, I realise, but it seems to me that the rest is minutiae compared to the Cat 1 status.

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:29 - Feb 9 with 6784 viewsfrancisbowles

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:09 - Feb 9 by BrianMcCarthy

Still no reply on why we've gone Cat 2 instead of Cat 1.

Incredibly frustrating.

Just speculating Brian but I believe you need an accommodation block in a Cat1. Maybe, it will be easier to revisit this once the academy is up and running smoothly and not upsetting the neighbours and council.

It might be better to apply for a'modification' to an existing sight than complicating the original planning application.

The frustrating thing for us is that there is always so much that they can't reveal for 'business' reasons as there is with any organisation.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:31 - Feb 9 with 6751 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:29 - Feb 9 by francisbowles

Just speculating Brian but I believe you need an accommodation block in a Cat1. Maybe, it will be easier to revisit this once the academy is up and running smoothly and not upsetting the neighbours and council.

It might be better to apply for a'modification' to an existing sight than complicating the original planning application.

The frustrating thing for us is that there is always so much that they can't reveal for 'business' reasons as there is with any organisation.

You do, FB.

I like your theory re gradual planning permission. There would be no danger in saying that now, though? Now that we have planning and that building is nearly completed...

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:32 - Feb 9 with 6732 viewsKensal_Ranger

Thanks for getting access to LF and making it as available as possible, Clive.

However, next time, I think you might be better off trying Chat GPT, 'cos those answers just aren't cutting it for me (sorry Les).

Penny for your thoughts?
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:35 - Feb 9 with 6699 viewsRangersw12

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:21 - Feb 9 by francisbowles

'....do something'

What would you suggest?

For a start stick to our principles 100% and not allow the manager to sign players he wants I. E Balogun

A complete pathway to the first team, he hints that Armstrong should have played more last season but then in the next sentence tries to justify signing Martin

Also says U21 football not fit for purpose but then tries to justify signing Tim because the manager rated him and he's from the Premier League so he must be good but it blocks a pathway for our players

We talk a good game but basically don't follow through with anything. Fair play to him for doing the interview but he doesn't fill me with any confidence
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:44 - Feb 9 with 6622 viewsloftboy

That was a great read, excellent questions raised Clive.

favourite cheese mature Cheddar. FFS there is no such thing as the EPL
Poll: Are you watching the World Cup

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:44 - Feb 9 with 6624 viewsToast_R

Excellent interview, thanks for posting that.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:46 - Feb 9 with 6610 viewsozexile

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:32 - Feb 9 by Kensal_Ranger

Thanks for getting access to LF and making it as available as possible, Clive.

However, next time, I think you might be better off trying Chat GPT, 'cos those answers just aren't cutting it for me (sorry Les).

Penny for your thoughts?

Same I thought his answers were weak.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:46 - Feb 9 with 6600 viewsfrancisbowles

Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:35 - Feb 9 by Rangersw12

For a start stick to our principles 100% and not allow the manager to sign players he wants I. E Balogun

A complete pathway to the first team, he hints that Armstrong should have played more last season but then in the next sentence tries to justify signing Martin

Also says U21 football not fit for purpose but then tries to justify signing Tim because the manager rated him and he's from the Premier League so he must be good but it blocks a pathway for our players

We talk a good game but basically don't follow through with anything. Fair play to him for doing the interview but he doesn't fill me with any confidence

Good points but you were saying 'do something', but now you seem to be saying what you have done is wrong so do nothing. Which then leads onto stick to the original plan without any review or adapting to changing circumstances.

We have to have some variations to the plan as it develops, like the Martin signing, but I agree there has been too many in the past.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 10:56 - Feb 9 with 6513 viewsE1Hoop

I thought that they were great questions and the answers were as straightforward as they could be. I would not expect him to be any more open on the Warburton situation in public.
I did not take away confidence that we have a plan though, it was more a case of things are difficult and we will muddle through in areas such as contract renewal, youth team player development, transfer choices and cat b status. Perhaps there is clear strategy in the background but I did not feel that from the answers.
Overall I am not sure if it is a poor strategy or a poor execution of the strategy that has led to some of our current issues.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 11:01 - Feb 9 with 6471 viewsWegerles_Stairs

So by loaning a decent player, Niko is meant to transform overnight into Roberto Carlos. Can't they just buy him a Brazil DVD?
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 11:07 - Feb 9 with 6442 viewsBlue_Castello

Good interview and I think he has had a more difficult task than a number of people appreciate, he has to try and maintain the objective of producing talent from the Academy whilst making sure we remain competitive in the Championship and don't get relegated, the signing of Martin was necessary due to the Dykes pneumonia and the fact Armstrong is way short of being a hold up type striker in the Championship.

I still question the signing of Balogun, he may well have helped us keep clean sheets, but he was/is injury prone, cost us a big chunk of money and we had already signed JCS as an additional centre back, were we seriously in a position to have another experienced player in that position.
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 11:09]
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 11:11 - Feb 9 with 6395 viewsWegerles_Stairs

"I totally agree. They’ve brought players in that have worked for them. We’ve done the same thing, we’ve brought players in here that have worked, some have and some haven’t. At the start of the season we were in a much better position than Luton. Luton got relegated to League One and built from there, we don’t want to get relegated to League One."

What the hell? We were in a much better position than Luton at the start of the season? Really? They'd been in the play-offs! And they didn't just get relegated from the Championship - they went all the way out of the league! They were a non-league team as recently as 2013-14. Obviously not his biggest fan, but far too many excuses in this interview - "nothing to do with me, guv."
[Post edited 9 Feb 2023 11:12]
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 11:18 - Feb 9 with 6338 viewsrobith

Fair play Clive - felt your questions were direct, tough but fair.

His answers were either good or flakey. Almost like nothing is ever a clear cut issue
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 11:21 - Feb 9 with 6315 viewsBushRanger82

I have every respect for Les as having been one of the best strikers I have ever seen at Loftus Rd, but, and it pains me to say this, I just don't have any confidence whatsoever, that he, or any of the present set up at Loftus Rd, can, or will, get this club off the merry-go-around it has been on for too long now.
Les Ferdinand — Patreon on 11:23 - Feb 9 with 6303 viewsCroydonCaptJack

I think what comes across is just how difficult it is to run a sustainable football club. I feel his commitment came across well and a lot of it confirmed what we thought. Great to hear it first hand though and I think he was diplomatic about the situation with Warbs. I would imagine there was more to that but you were never going to get him to admit that.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024