Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The Grimes Problem 08:26 - Aug 14 with 2761 viewsshandyjack

He's obviously fantastic ball player, but lacks pace and is dropping to deep for our and Duff's liking to get on the ball.

We have a glaring weakness in that our 3 centre halves can't pass between them.

Would it be worth playing Grimes in the middle of Cabango and Nathan, freeing up the midfield for someone like Patino to inject the pace into midfield?

I think Potter used him as CB or was it Lb a few times so it's won't be totally alien to him
[Post edited 14 Aug 2023 9:26]

Poll: Expectation for the season

The Grimes Problem on 08:29 - Aug 14 with 2752 viewsangryjack

The saying is trap a bag of cement,don't think the best players in eorld could pass a bag cement..can't pass water maybe
The Grimes Problem on 09:24 - Aug 14 with 2683 viewsWhiterockin

Cabango and Wood will be OK in a back four, hopefully we will go that way with the new left back. Play Grimes holding and just tell him to feed Patino. Ideal scenario would be Southampton give us £8M for Grimes, but I can only dream.
The Grimes Problem on 09:26 - Aug 14 with 2681 viewsshandyjack

The Grimes Problem on 08:29 - Aug 14 by angryjack

The saying is trap a bag of cement,don't think the best players in eorld could pass a bag cement..can't pass water maybe

ffs !!!!! edited

Poll: Expectation for the season

The Grimes Problem on 09:31 - Aug 14 with 2654 viewsonehunglow

The Grimes Problem on 09:24 - Aug 14 by Whiterockin

Cabango and Wood will be OK in a back four, hopefully we will go that way with the new left back. Play Grimes holding and just tell him to feed Patino. Ideal scenario would be Southampton give us £8M for Grimes, but I can only dream.

I have a dream

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

The Grimes Problem on 10:44 - Aug 14 with 2579 viewsLuther27

There’s currently a vacancy there for a midfielder mind
The Grimes Problem on 10:53 - Aug 14 with 2573 viewsSullutaCreturned

I agree with you and have said maybe a 4-1-3-2 would work better but it would probably still see Grimes dropping too deep so I'd play Allen as the CDM if fit. He's just quicker in thought and action.

Thing is, Darling has showed he is a genuine goal threat and Wood is probably the best player of the three but Cabango is a decent enough defender but not great at passing, Saturday he gave the ball away far too much.

It's a conundrum.
The Grimes Problem on 22:48 - Aug 14 with 2220 viewsBadlands

Slow in thought and action. Should never have been burdened with captaincy.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Grimes Problem on 22:56 - Aug 14 with 2209 viewslifelong

The Grimes Problem on 22:48 - Aug 14 by Badlands

Slow in thought and action. Should never have been burdened with captaincy.

Our current manager and the three previous managers tended to disagree with you.
Login to get fewer ads

The Grimes Problem on 07:01 - Aug 15 with 2140 viewsDr_Winston

The Grimes Problem on 22:56 - Aug 14 by lifelong

Our current manager and the three previous managers tended to disagree with you.

Remains to be seen whether he'll be as untouchable under Duff as previously.

It's also worth noting that none of the managers who apparently thought so highly of him whilst here have bothered attempting to take him with them thus far. Even Southampton have been just as heavily linked with Flynn Downes as they have with Grimes.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Grimes Problem on 10:01 - Aug 15 with 2037 viewsangryjack

The Grimes Problem on 07:01 - Aug 15 by Dr_Winston

Remains to be seen whether he'll be as untouchable under Duff as previously.

It's also worth noting that none of the managers who apparently thought so highly of him whilst here have bothered attempting to take him with them thus far. Even Southampton have been just as heavily linked with Flynn Downes as they have with Grimes.

We a better team with him in it that's fir sure,he's a better player when we play wingers znd full backs he was excellent when potter was here as he was switching play quickly and releasing our wingers ,with this wing back system we too pedestrianised and ball goes sideways anc backwards all the time,with no runners behind their full backs for him release,the system don't suit him
The Grimes Problem on 10:33 - Aug 15 with 1992 viewsDr_Winston

Duff didn't make pointed reference to "keeping the ball for the sake of it" after the WBA game for no reason. That's basically Grimes's entire thing.

Personally I'd not be surprised if his days as an automatic choice are numbered and the club are secretly hoping for a bid from Southampton.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

The Grimes Problem on 10:46 - Aug 15 with 1977 viewsBadlands

The Grimes Problem on 10:01 - Aug 15 by angryjack

We a better team with him in it that's fir sure,he's a better player when we play wingers znd full backs he was excellent when potter was here as he was switching play quickly and releasing our wingers ,with this wing back system we too pedestrianised and ball goes sideways anc backwards all the time,with no runners behind their full backs for him release,the system don't suit him

When Potter was here, Grimes played defensive midfield, central midfield and left back alongside several Premier League quality players who directing and coaching younger player during games. When he became captain and the senior players moved on he should have taken that role of on-field coach but that has been beyond him. Only toward the end of Martin's time did we see him acting like an on-field captain. As captain and central midfielder he should be commanding and a lynchpin in our play, he's neither. He's generally been competent in a passive way but he has never been quick. Giving the ball away and ten working hard to get it back was a common feature of his play under Cooper; many fans applauded winning the ball back as a positive and ignored the fact he'd lost possession. Potter's side was active and fluid so space was being created for passes and runs. We also spaced our formations deeper in defence and looses across misfield … all created space.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

The Grimes Problem on 11:05 - Aug 15 with 1945 viewsWhiterockin

The Grimes Problem on 10:33 - Aug 15 by Dr_Winston

Duff didn't make pointed reference to "keeping the ball for the sake of it" after the WBA game for no reason. That's basically Grimes's entire thing.

Personally I'd not be surprised if his days as an automatic choice are numbered and the club are secretly hoping for a bid from Southampton.

I wonder if Allen is fit enough to start on Saturday, would a benched Grimes hasten his departure.
The Grimes Problem on 13:02 - Aug 15 with 1839 viewsDr_Winston

The Grimes Problem on 11:05 - Aug 15 by Whiterockin

I wonder if Allen is fit enough to start on Saturday, would a benched Grimes hasten his departure.

Possibly. It's a fairly safe bet that Patino will start, and Duff has already praised Allen. I've never thought that there was more than a fag paper between Grimes and Fulton in terms of ability so we'll see what happens.

The Grimes Problem on 16:06 - Aug 15 with 1747 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Grimes Problem on 10:01 - Aug 15 by angryjack

Y'kmow, I can agree with that, change the system if it's not working,

I thought I'd read that Southampton were getting Flynn Downes on loan for the season?
The Grimes Problem on 16:12 - Aug 15 with 1744 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

The Grimes Problem on 10:33 - Aug 15 by Dr_Winston

He also made a point about grimes playing further forward after the Brum game. I’ve been wanting that for years. He’s got all the attributes to play further forward.

But he reverted to playing almost like a fourth centre back for most of the West Brom game. He needs to be coached out of it.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

The Grimes Problem on 16:18 - Aug 15 with 1735 viewsDr_Winston

The Grimes Problem on 16:12 - Aug 15 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

He also made a point about grimes playing further forward after the Brum game. I’ve been wanting that for years. He’s got all the attributes to play further forward.

But he reverted to playing almost like a fourth centre back for most of the West Brom game. He needs to be coached out of it.

I certainly don't disagree that he can do it, but he has done so rarely throughout his entire time here (and we're talking nearly a decade now) you have to wonder if he's capable of having the bad habits coached out of him at this point.

The Grimes Problem on 16:25 - Aug 15 with 1733 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Grimes Problem on 16:12 - Aug 15 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

This bit...But he reverted to playing almost like a fourth centre back for most of the West Brom game. He needs to be coached out of it. This is the part that some aren't seeing, this is the hangover from Martin, players are automatically doing what they have been coached to do for 2 years.

It shouldn't take too long to get them out of the habit but definitely more than 2 games. When I saw grimes drop in between Darling and Cabango at WBA I was fuming, we won't get back into games by being so deep. But then he brought Patino on and after 6-7 minutes (after the penalty cock up too) we strated to get on the front foot.

When Grimes is pushed up he can be very effective but he needs to be at least 10 yards in fron tof our CB's at any time.
The Grimes Problem on 16:32 - Aug 15 with 1718 viewsDr_Winston

It's not really a hangover from Martin. He was the same way under Cooper too. It's only one season, the one under Potter, where he's consistently looked even halfway decent on the front foot.

The Grimes Problem on 16:50 - Aug 15 with 1699 viewsSullutaCreturned

The Grimes Problem on 16:32 - Aug 15 by Dr_Winston

It's not really a hangover from Martin. He was the same way under Cooper too. It's only one season, the one under Potter, where he's consistently looked even halfway decent on the front foot.

I said Martin because he's not the only one who is slow of action, Cabango was terribly ponderous too. Him and Grimes too close together is a bad mix.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024