Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Goalkeepers playing out from the back 15:55 - Aug 14 with 1965 viewsBarrySwan

Perusing the football highlights this weekend I was struck by incident after incident after incident in games at all levels with goalkeepers time after time giving away goals or near misses by trying to be too clever in trying to pass to their own defenders in and around the box.

I couldn't even begin to count the number of identical incidents, and it has always struck me as the complete and utter nonsense of this 'play out from the back 'stuff starting from a goalkeeper who isn't good enough to play professional football as an outfield player yet is either expected to or takes it upon himself to try and be the next Bobby Moore.

Never better illustrated of course than incident after incident created by goalkeepers under the Russell Martin regime at Swansea.

I've genuinely never understood why as stated above, goalkeepers not good enough with their feet to play out of goal are being expected to play out from the back causing utter chaos amongst their defenders who are immediately put under pressure by their delighted opponents.

Thats not to say that I expect to see keepers just banging every ball upfield without weighing up the options for passing nearer to the box, but surely anything less than a simple pass to a defender in plenty of space should be despatched upfield at a rate of knots?

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 16:04 - Aug 14 with 1947 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

It can work if the full backs/wingers hug touchlines and the pitch is made as big as possible. It’s hard to press that much space. We tried it under Martin with everyone crammed into a tiny space with often disastrous results.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 16:07 - Aug 14 with 1938 viewsonehunglow

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 16:04 - Aug 14 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

It can work if the full backs/wingers hug touchlines and the pitch is made as big as possible. It’s hard to press that much space. We tried it under Martin with everyone crammed into a tiny space with often disastrous results.

Basically,ok if safe to do so.
If not don’t.
We did it when our defenders were almost being snogged by opposing forwards .
Unforgivable madness that should never be forgotten

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 16:07 - Aug 14 with 1941 viewskrunchykarrot

Is the correct answer sir.
Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 16:17 - Aug 14 with 1918 viewsploppy

They changed the rules specifically to encourage playing out from the back and the pitches are so good these days there's little excuse not to.

Long goal kicks are pretty low percentage and invariably give possession away. I was amazed when Rushworth kicked long on Saturday. I hope we're not going back to that.

The only problem I have with us doing it is (or at least last couple of seasons) when we beat the press we need to take full advantage and drive forward. Too many times we'd beat the press and faff around in midfield (Grimes especially) - and let the opposition get back behind the ball.
Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 16:18 - Aug 14 with 1919 viewsSullutaCreturned

As long as the players are good enough. We already gave away a soft goal to the madness this season, Rushworth put his hand up straight away for a pass that should never have happened.

The irony for me always waa that we wouldn't try those risky passes in the oppo half, we turned around and passed backwards. In our own box though we were always at it.
Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 17:36 - Aug 14 with 1834 viewsReslovenSwan1

All Swansea players should be able to control the ball immediately and pass to a player in space. Rushworth passed to a player under pressure Cabango for no reason instead of the easier pass out wide to Key. Calmness must rule over panic.

Two or three lads in the u21 were given their a cards being unable to play this way. Jacob Jones and Ben Margetson two season back. Swansea u21 lost countless games like this playing into pressure situations.

Swansea city sells defenders like Ben Davies and Rodon for £20m+. They play the way Premier league players play and drilled accordingly.

If the defence have a numerical advantage 3 v 2 of 4 v 3 then there should be no problem. They play this every day in training. The circle things are very cramped. If it is 3 v 3 then pop it over the top. The best keepers can do this. If Rushworth wants to play for Brighton he must do it too.

The 'detatched Fisher' routine standing wide was not well thought out. An opposition player would line up the defender taking the goal kick and Fisher in one line of sight and raid them both with one run blocking out the return path. They were too close not allowing the defender sufficient time to reposition and create and angle. It seemed to me to be worryingly dim thinking.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 17:43 - Aug 14 with 1805 viewsonehunglow

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 17:36 - Aug 14 by ReslovenSwan1

All Swansea players should be able to control the ball immediately and pass to a player in space. Rushworth passed to a player under pressure Cabango for no reason instead of the easier pass out wide to Key. Calmness must rule over panic.

Two or three lads in the u21 were given their a cards being unable to play this way. Jacob Jones and Ben Margetson two season back. Swansea u21 lost countless games like this playing into pressure situations.

Swansea city sells defenders like Ben Davies and Rodon for £20m+. They play the way Premier league players play and drilled accordingly.

If the defence have a numerical advantage 3 v 2 of 4 v 3 then there should be no problem. They play this every day in training. The circle things are very cramped. If it is 3 v 3 then pop it over the top. The best keepers can do this. If Rushworth wants to play for Brighton he must do it too.

The 'detatched Fisher' routine standing wide was not well thought out. An opposition player would line up the defender taking the goal kick and Fisher in one line of sight and raid them both with one run blocking out the return path. They were too close not allowing the defender sufficient time to reposition and create and angle. It seemed to me to be worryingly dim thinking.

Fair comment that

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 17:51 - Aug 14 with 1791 viewsWhiterockin

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 17:36 - Aug 14 by ReslovenSwan1

For the sake of accuracy, neither Davies or Rodon were sold for £20M plus.
Login to get fewer ads

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 18:52 - Aug 14 with 1725 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 17:51 - Aug 14 by Whiterockin

For the sake of accuracy, neither Davies or Rodon were sold for £20M plus.

Davies was swapped for a player who we later sold for £45 million

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 18:55 - Aug 14 with 1722 viewsBadlands

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 17:43 - Aug 14 by onehunglow

Fair comment that

All Swansea players should be able to control the ball immediately and pass to a player in space.
The problems our CBs have no one to pass to. Our midfield is static.
Has anyone worked out how many goals came directly from fluffed passing at the back last season?

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 19:42 - Aug 14 with 1681 viewsSullutaCreturned

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 18:55 - Aug 14 by Badlands

All Swansea players should be able to control the ball immediately and pass to a player in space.
Has anyone worked out how many goals came directly from fluffed passing at the back last season?

I can't say exactly but there has to be 6 or 7. The static midfield was part of the problem at WBA, we had very little movement, no one to pass to but when we did try the through ball it was way too hard. It was all wrong all over the pitch.

The great hope is that it's just another bump along the road that Duff deals with properly.

Whatever that means!
Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 20:32 - Aug 14 with 1636 viewsonehunglow

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 18:55 - Aug 14 by Badlands

I agree

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 15:45 - Aug 15 with 1489 viewsBadlands

Goalkeepers playing out from the back on 19:42 - Aug 14 by SullutaCreturned

I can't say exactly but there has to be 6 or 7. The static midfield was part of the problem at WBA, we had very little movement, no one to pass to but when we did try the through ball it was way too hard. It was all wrong all over the pitch.

The great hope is that it's just another bump along the road that Duff deals with properly.

Whatever that means!

Rhetorical question … 3 but plenty of close shaves.
We conceded more from direct attacks off our attacking corners or free kicks around the box.

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024