Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
The centre-back dilemma 17:28 - Dec 17 with 1288 viewsresearchersaint

With Stephens returning yesterday and Harwood-Bellis and Bernardo being so good lately, is it a good problem to have or could this lead to disruption?

https://www.southamptonfc.news/match-coverage/why-russell-martins-new-problem-is
The centre-back dilemma on 20:43 - Dec 17 with 1142 viewsSaintNick

Its a good problem to have, but Bednarek & THB have formed a rock solid partnership, it does not need to be chopped and changed, if Stephens get in in needs to be on merit

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

The centre-back dilemma on 23:30 - Dec 17 with 1083 views1ASIN12

As I said previously, the way Martin talks up Stephens he clearly rates him and I’m expecting changes to our CB pairing with QPR, Swansea , Plymouth and Norwich within 10 days.

Unfortunately.
The centre-back dilemma on 08:42 - Dec 18 with 989 viewsstmichael

No dilemma at all.
Competition for places which we will need.
At some point due to injury or suspension we will need him and then like all players its up to him.
At the moment I doubt anything will change unless we slip him at full back or a deep lying midfield player.

Poll: Do we bring back Bernard at the weekend or stick with Bree?

The centre-back dilemma on 09:05 - Dec 18 with 971 viewsSaintNick

The centre-back dilemma on 08:42 - Dec 18 by stmichael

No dilemma at all.
Competition for places which we will need.
At some point due to injury or suspension we will need him and then like all players its up to him.
At the moment I doubt anything will change unless we slip him at full back or a deep lying midfield player.

No one minds competition for places, the only problem comes when a player comes in who has not earned the place.

I would not be surprised to see Stephens in at right back at QPR in place of Bree who played there on Saturday, but would that really be a fair decision ?

As for playing as a deep lying midfielder, this was mooted before, I think he may have been tried there on a couple of occasions but wasn't up to the job. He is a defender I hope that he isn't shoe horned in somewhere just to give him a game.

The centre-back dilemma on 10:18 - Dec 18 with 934 viewsfelly1

The centre-back dilemma on 09:05 - Dec 18 by SaintNick

No one minds competition for places, the only problem comes when a player comes in who has not earned the place.

I would not be surprised to see Stephens in at right back at QPR in place of Bree who played there on Saturday, but would that really be a fair decision ?

As for playing as a deep lying midfielder, this was mooted before, I think he may have been tried there on a couple of occasions but wasn't up to the job. He is a defender I hope that he isn't shoe horned in somewhere just to give him a game.

It should be straightforward.
Keep the same defence Bree, KWP, Bedders and THB.
Injuries, suspension, form, results will likely mean changes.
Whipping boys Manning and Stephens will then be given their chance and it's down to them to take it and cement their place.
The centre-back dilemma on 10:26 - Dec 18 with 921 viewsSaintBrock

The centre-back dilemma on 23:30 - Dec 17 by 1ASIN12

As I said previously, the way Martin talks up Stephens he clearly rates him and I’m expecting changes to our CB pairing with QPR, Swansea , Plymouth and Norwich within 10 days.

Unfortunately.

Stephens was never an automatic first choice for us in the Premier League.Why would he expect to be now? That ship has sailed. At best he is a mistake prone workhorse but an adequate back up.

Leave the current CB partnership alone, it is working well so why one discuss changing it.

Making Stephens captain was the daftest decision yet by Russell Martin.
The centre-back dilemma on 10:31 - Dec 18 with 917 viewsPatfromPoole

I wonder if he may go with 3 CB's.

Think he often did this at Swansea, and it may help Manning if it places less defensive onus on him.

I'm not saying that is what we should do, but it wouldn't greatly surprise me if it happened.

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

The centre-back dilemma on 12:16 - Dec 18 with 863 viewsSaintNick

The centre-back dilemma on 10:31 - Dec 18 by PatfromPoole

I wonder if he may go with 3 CB's.

Think he often did this at Swansea, and it may help Manning if it places less defensive onus on him.

I'm not saying that is what we should do, but it wouldn't greatly surprise me if it happened.

It wouldnt be a bad idea to be fair

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024