Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
R. I. P Chris Nicholl 16:21 - Feb 25 with 3333 viewsfelly1

Sad to hear that Chris Nicholl has died.
Good player and a decent manager who took on the tough task of taking over after Lawrie Mac
Rest in Peace Chris.. Always a Saint.
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 16:39 - Feb 25 with 3109 viewsarfurdent

sad, he wasa good servant

And the White Knight is talking backwards And the Red Queen's off with her head

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 16:43 - Feb 25 with 3045 viewsmushinexile

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 16:39 - Feb 25 by arfurdent

sad, he wasa good servant

RIP Chris. I raise my glass to you.
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 16:48 - Feb 25 with 2987 viewsLondonSaint76

How we could with a CB pairing like Chris Nicholl & Dave Watson from that era. Sadly Chris suffered in his later years in a similar way to Jeff Astle, last interview I saw was with Adrian Chiles and you could see the signs then, and that was a few years ago.
Shearer has talked about him a few times on MOTD Top 10 podcasts - favourite story was the dressing room incident when the lights suddenly went out, when they came back on Chris was stood in the middle of the room, fists clenched, in full boxer’s stance as he thought someone was going to jump him.
RIP Chris, an excellent defender and a nice guy with it.

Poll: How will we get on against Leicester City?

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 17:04 - Feb 25 with 2744 viewsgrumpy

Sad News.
Chris had some great players in his time with us and put together one of Saints most exciting teams.
Always came across as a real gentleman.
RIP Chris.
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 17:12 - Feb 25 with 2616 viewsBLEEDRED

A true gentleman RIP
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 17:12 - Feb 25 with 2611 viewssaintmark1976

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 16:48 - Feb 25 by LondonSaint76

How we could with a CB pairing like Chris Nicholl & Dave Watson from that era. Sadly Chris suffered in his later years in a similar way to Jeff Astle, last interview I saw was with Adrian Chiles and you could see the signs then, and that was a few years ago.
Shearer has talked about him a few times on MOTD Top 10 podcasts - favourite story was the dressing room incident when the lights suddenly went out, when they came back on Chris was stood in the middle of the room, fists clenched, in full boxer’s stance as he thought someone was going to jump him.
RIP Chris, an excellent defender and a nice guy with it.

Sad news. One of my all time favourites, a proper footballer’s footballer. R I P Sir.

Hard as nails whilst skilled on the ground and brilliant in the air. I watched him play on many occasions and never saw one instance of an opponent getting the better of him physically. Other pros simply knew that he wasn’t a player to take liberties with, knowing that if they did then retribution would soon follow.

Jimmy Case was a hard man but Chris was at least his equal.

The alleged fight between Chris and Mark Dennis must have been interesting to say the least!

Two consecutive home defeats and now this. Not a good week to be a Saint.
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 17:42 - Feb 25 with 2218 viewsTripleNiemi

Sad news - RIP

Ready and waiting to mop up those European places......

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 17:59 - Feb 25 with 2060 viewskingslandstand1

That's really shaken me. We played pretty well under him (note sacked and replaced by Branfoot FFS) and didn't do too badly either as a player getting to a rare cup final for us!

RIP indeed
Login to get fewer ads

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 18:03 - Feb 25 with 2025 viewskingslandstand1

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 17:59 - Feb 25 by kingslandstand1

That's really shaken me. We played pretty well under him (note sacked and replaced by Branfoot FFS) and didn't do too badly either as a player getting to a rare cup final for us!

RIP indeed

Just found this

https://erldc.org/obituary/chris-nicholl-obituary/
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 18:09 - Feb 25 with 1973 viewsCenturion

Often overlooked as a manager.
He stabilised Saints as a decent mid table (OLD) Division 1 side that played some good football.
They were good days looking back...proper football, players and manager.
The Premier league signalled the end of an era and I am not sure I like it.
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 18:15 - Feb 25 with 1910 viewsJellybaby

Oh, such sad news. Proper bloke, how many times did he break his nose??

R.i.P . Prayers for his loved ones.

I wholly disapprove of what you say and will defend to the death your right to say it.

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 18:34 - Feb 25 with 1818 viewsSouthamptonfan

Very sad. Rip.

Poll: After Nick's revelation, would you welcome back Danny Ings?

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 18:47 - Feb 25 with 1791 viewsButty101

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 18:34 - Feb 25 by Southamptonfan

Very sad. Rip.

Gutted

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 21:36 - Feb 25 with 1534 viewsA1079

A great player for us and a much better manager than he was given credit for - the trouble is he followed Lawrie McMenemy so he had a hard act to follow. He was then followed by Branfoot! A true servant to us and football in general and as honest and as dignified and professional an individual as the day is long.

R.I.P
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 22:07 - Feb 25 with 1510 viewsInTimeAddedOn

Such sad news. Chris was responsible for delivering one of the greatest days in the history of The Dell. On Saturday 21st October 1989 we played Liverpool at The Dell and took them to the cleaners. The score was 4-1 and really could have been 7 or 8, even Alan Hansen admits that. I was lucky enough to be there tha afternoon to witness possibly our finest home performance, CN basically played Rod Wallace, Shearer, Rideout and Le Tiss as a fluid interchangeable front four, Liverpool did not know what had hit them.
RIP Chris, a loyal servant & a true gent. Thanks for the memorues.
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 22:26 - Feb 25 with 1479 viewscocklebreath

Sad news, started going regularly when he became manager and of course will never forget that 4-1 game v Liverpool. Played exciting football and brought some great players through the ranks.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 22:52 - Feb 25 with 1441 viewsInTimeAddedOn

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 21:36 - Feb 25 by A1079

A great player for us and a much better manager than he was given credit for - the trouble is he followed Lawrie McMenemy so he had a hard act to follow. He was then followed by Branfoot! A true servant to us and football in general and as honest and as dignified and professional an individual as the day is long.

R.I.P

IMO Chris was the end of an era regarding managerial stabiliy at SFC. We had three managers from 1955 > 1991 and ended up last season with 3 managers in the same season! Branfoor wasn't fit to lace CN's boots and if 'Biscuit Tin' Askham had loosened the purse strings a bit for CN to get in fresh talent when he needed it who knows what we could have gone on to achive. As I say, end of an era. RIP Chris.
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 08:17 - Feb 26 with 1255 viewsbendybob

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 17:12 - Feb 25 by saintmark1976

Sad news. One of my all time favourites, a proper footballer’s footballer. R I P Sir.

Hard as nails whilst skilled on the ground and brilliant in the air. I watched him play on many occasions and never saw one instance of an opponent getting the better of him physically. Other pros simply knew that he wasn’t a player to take liberties with, knowing that if they did then retribution would soon follow.

Jimmy Case was a hard man but Chris was at least his equal.

The alleged fight between Chris and Mark Dennis must have been interesting to say the least!

Two consecutive home defeats and now this. Not a good week to be a Saint.

Well said, and sums up the man. During warm ups before the match he would always be seen heading the ball. Sad news
Chris Nichol RIP on 09:02 - Feb 26 with 1221 viewsSalisburySaint

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 22:52 - Feb 25 by InTimeAddedOn

IMO Chris was the end of an era regarding managerial stabiliy at SFC. We had three managers from 1955 > 1991 and ended up last season with 3 managers in the same season! Branfoor wasn't fit to lace CN's boots and if 'Biscuit Tin' Askham had loosened the purse strings a bit for CN to get in fresh talent when he needed it who knows what we could have gone on to achive. As I say, end of an era. RIP Chris.

Sad news, a great player and manager for Saints

In his playing days was immense in the centre of our defence, especially in our promotion season alongside Mike Pickering

As a manager in charge of one of my favourite games v Liverpool 4-1, the game the week before at QPR was another great 4-1 and also the cup game at Spurs when we won 3-1 another brilliant performance

We were so good going forward in that 89/90 season with a regular forward line Le Tissier, Shearer, Rideout and Rod Wallace, great memories
[Post edited 26 Feb 9:14]
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 12:11 - Feb 26 with 1105 viewsChesham_Saint

A quality player and a good manager for us. By the sound of it, a good person too. Very sad.

Poll: Which manager would you prefer Saints to have?

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 19:31 - Feb 27 with 873 viewsGasGiant

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 22:07 - Feb 25 by InTimeAddedOn

Such sad news. Chris was responsible for delivering one of the greatest days in the history of The Dell. On Saturday 21st October 1989 we played Liverpool at The Dell and took them to the cleaners. The score was 4-1 and really could have been 7 or 8, even Alan Hansen admits that. I was lucky enough to be there tha afternoon to witness possibly our finest home performance, CN basically played Rod Wallace, Shearer, Rideout and Le Tiss as a fluid interchangeable front four, Liverpool did not know what had hit them.
RIP Chris, a loyal servant & a true gent. Thanks for the memorues.

RIP Chris Nicholl - and how good to hear "When the Saints" sung properly and not this ridiculous slow funereal dirge that seems to have been copied from somewhere. Does anyone really think singing it at less than half half pace is actually inspiring?
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 23:27 - Feb 28 with 735 viewsInTimeAddedOn

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 19:31 - Feb 27 by GasGiant

RIP Chris Nicholl - and how good to hear "When the Saints" sung properly and not this ridiculous slow funereal dirge that seems to have been copied from somewhere. Does anyone really think singing it at less than half half pace is actually inspiring?

It comes to something when you hear the Spurs fans on MOTD sing 'When The Spurs Go Marching In' at the correct speed thus sounding ten times better than we do at times, sometimes we soumd like we are in a New Orleans funeral procession.
R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 07:07 - Feb 29 with 686 viewscocklebreath

R. I. P Chris Nicholl on 23:27 - Feb 28 by InTimeAddedOn

It comes to something when you hear the Spurs fans on MOTD sing 'When The Spurs Go Marching In' at the correct speed thus sounding ten times better than we do at times, sometimes we soumd like we are in a New Orleans funeral procession.

That’s wrong, spurs sing it slowly and for some reason some of our fans have copied.

Poll: Who is the biggest c*nt?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024