Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Lewis Jones RIP 09:55 - Mar 7 with 1032 viewsonehunglow

Long innings Sir
A true legend of Gowerton Grammar and Gorseinon

https://www.wru.wales/2024/03/welsh-rugbys-golden-boy-lewis-jones-dies-at-92/

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Lewis Jones RIP on 13:16 - Mar 7 with 978 viewsWingstandwood

My father was taught rugby at Gowerton Grammar school and a classmate of his was another ex-Welsh international called Onllwyn Brace.

The regime and discipline there was overbearing, harsh and strict, and if pupils had skill and ability, they was forced to play and train whether they liked it or not. No going to the pictures or fishing trips etc on rugby days.

Gowerton Grammar players were taught to be two-footed, skills were indoctrinated, a case of "If you kick that ball with your favoured foot, you will get a whack".

Gowerton Grammar produced some well known names. One not on the Wiki-list as a former pupil i.e. the late Steven Hughes who had a lot of book mentions and TV appearances/interviews.
https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/library-and-publications/library/blog/steven-hughes-a-f

Argus!

Lewis Jones RIP on 14:13 - Mar 7 with 958 viewsonehunglow

Lewis Jones RIP on 13:16 - Mar 7 by Wingstandwood

My father was taught rugby at Gowerton Grammar school and a classmate of his was another ex-Welsh international called Onllwyn Brace.

The regime and discipline there was overbearing, harsh and strict, and if pupils had skill and ability, they was forced to play and train whether they liked it or not. No going to the pictures or fishing trips etc on rugby days.

Gowerton Grammar players were taught to be two-footed, skills were indoctrinated, a case of "If you kick that ball with your favoured foot, you will get a whack".

Gowerton Grammar produced some well known names. One not on the Wiki-list as a former pupil i.e. the late Steven Hughes who had a lot of book mentions and TV appearances/interviews.
https://www.rcseng.ac.uk/library-and-publications/library/blog/steven-hughes-a-f

Same at Bishop Gore GS

Lewis Jones RIP on 14:34 - Mar 7 with 952 viewsWingstandwood

Lewis Jones RIP on 14:13 - Mar 7 by onehunglow

Same at Bishop Gore GS

The way my father mentioned i.e. football was heresy to many Grammar schoolmasters, in fact come to think of it I do not know even if Grammar schools had football posts and pitches in those days???? I would not be surprised in the slightest if many grammar schools had none????

And the whole point of their preferred game back then was to avoid getting tackled at all costs. Now the game is more "crash bang wallop" tackle-defence orientated and designed for backs who often tend to be weigh seven stone heaver and seven inches taller than many players of decades past.

Argus!

Lewis Jones RIP on 15:25 - Mar 7 with 936 viewsonehunglow

Lewis Jones RIP on 14:34 - Mar 7 by Wingstandwood

The way my father mentioned i.e. football was heresy to many Grammar schoolmasters, in fact come to think of it I do not know even if Grammar schools had football posts and pitches in those days???? I would not be surprised in the slightest if many grammar schools had none????

And the whole point of their preferred game back then was to avoid getting tackled at all costs. Now the game is more "crash bang wallop" tackle-defence orientated and designed for backs who often tend to be weigh seven stone heaver and seven inches taller than many players of decades past.

Viv Davies at BG was my Latin teacher
He was brutal with football players ,worse with those who played both,like me.

Lewis Jones RIP on 02:44 - Mar 8 with 874 viewsKilkennyjack

Lewis Jones RIP on 15:25 - Mar 7 by onehunglow

Viv Davies at BG was my Latin teacher
He was brutal with football players ,worse with those who played both,like me.

You know Latin?

How do you say ‘luke williams is a good manager’in Latin then ?

Beware of the Risen People

Lewis Jones RIP on 09:43 - Mar 8 with 840 viewsonehunglow

Lewis Jones RIP on 02:44 - Mar 8 by Kilkennyjack

You know Latin?

How do you say ‘luke williams is a good manager’in Latin then ?

Got an O level in it in 1966

Luke Williams sit bonum procurator (easier than Welsh for pronounciation ) It’s the basis of most European languages

Magnus dies

Lewis Jones RIP on 15:51 - Mar 8 with 789 viewsWingstandwood

Lewis Jones RIP on 09:43 - Mar 8 by onehunglow

Got an O level in it in 1966

Luke Williams sit bonum procurator (easier than Welsh for pronounciation ) It’s the basis of most European languages

Magnus dies

It's crazy how some bygone school syllabus teaching stays in the mind decades after being taught e.g. SohCahToa for maths....." for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" for physics..... and the 'Corn Laws'....'Spinning Jenny'........ Jethro Tull 'Seed Drill' and 'Toll Puddle Martyr's' for 1980's O' Level history.

And boy doesn't SohCahToa come in handy for engineers who require correct measurements for stuff like fire-escape installation(s) etc.

I have however forgotten everything about chemistry and cannot remember a single thing about the periodic table. And of course when it comes to stuff like school sports instruction involving 'muscle memory' some things last a long time also.

Argus!

Lewis Jones RIP on 16:50 - Mar 8 with 757 viewsonehunglow

Lewis Jones RIP on 15:51 - Mar 8 by Wingstandwood

It's crazy how some bygone school syllabus teaching stays in the mind decades after being taught e.g. SohCahToa for maths....." for every action there is an equal and opposite reaction" for physics..... and the 'Corn Laws'....'Spinning Jenny'........ Jethro Tull 'Seed Drill' and 'Toll Puddle Martyr's' for 1980's O' Level history.

And boy doesn't SohCahToa come in handy for engineers who require correct measurements for stuff like fire-escape installation(s) etc.

I have however forgotten everything about chemistry and cannot remember a single thing about the periodic table. And of course when it comes to stuff like school sports instruction involving 'muscle memory' some things last a long time also.

I truly genuinely wish we lived nearer .
You seem just my shirt of chap
Amo
Amas
Amat

Login to get fewer ads

Lewis Jones RIP on 17:12 - Mar 8 with 752 viewsWingstandwood

Lewis Jones RIP on 16:50 - Mar 8 by onehunglow

I truly genuinely wish we lived nearer .
You seem just my shirt of chap
Amo
Amas
Amat

Who can forget the standard issue 'Godfrey and Siddons' four figure tables book that everyone at the time found to be boring, and took for granted, oblivious to the genius involved .

Until? Decades later when expansive minded judgement and life-learning '"Wow" factor/appreciation sank in!

A case of "How can someone have possibly come out with that"????

Argus!

Lewis Jones RIP on 00:36 - Mar 9 with 681 viewsRobbie

Gowerton Boys Grammar School , early 70s , horrendous Headmaster . Rugby is the sport nothing else was his ethos , football on Games /PE day , no chance .

His favouritism to the rugby group , added to a local player as that PE teacher employed by the school turned me , I was not good enough for the clique , a failure in their eyes .

Grammar School gave me a solid platform through some good education and standards .
Looking back some of the discipline I recieved by said Headmaster would never tolerated thankfully in this day .
Lewis Jones RIP on 09:16 - Mar 9 with 651 viewsonehunglow

Lewis Jones RIP on 00:36 - Mar 9 by Robbie

Gowerton Boys Grammar School , early 70s , horrendous Headmaster . Rugby is the sport nothing else was his ethos , football on Games /PE day , no chance .

His favouritism to the rugby group , added to a local player as that PE teacher employed by the school turned me , I was not good enough for the clique , a failure in their eyes .

Grammar School gave me a solid platform through some good education and standards .
Looking back some of the discipline I recieved by said Headmaster would never tolerated thankfully in this day .

You don’t forget your school days.
I destested BG grammar and almost fifty years later feel the same .
I would have loved to have come across some of the sadistic teachers when I was an adult .
Cowards and ran the school like a second rate public school .

Lewis Jones RIP on 13:33 - Mar 11 with 558 viewsvjay48

Leighton James escaped the rugby at Gowerton!
Lewis Jones RIP on 14:46 - Mar 11 with 544 viewsvjay48

My late father was from Gorseinon, he told me that when Lewis Jones came on visits to Gorseinon after his move to league people crossed the road to avoid being seen to support him.
Also may father had a cousin who was a master at Gowerton, he told Leighton James that he could earn a living at football, not at Rugby, how times changed!
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024