Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Adam Armstrong. 10:45 - Mar 10 with 2848 viewsfelly1

A baffling player.
Top of the charts for goals and assists.
Great workrate
Yet he seemingly cannot keep his shots from hitting row Z or scuffing them along the ground.
Funny player. Rothwell showed him how to strike a football.
Adam Armstrong. on 11:20 - Mar 10 with 2217 viewsPatfromPoole

He misses a lot of chances.

But we have nobody better, so we have to pick him.

Which is why I wanted us to sign Kieffer Moore.
[Post edited 10 Mar 11:21]

Poll: Does anybody think Saints can get promoted this season?

Adam Armstrong. on 12:23 - Mar 10 with 2119 viewsBLEEDRED

We don't have a natural finisher, Adam works very hard for his goals, but his shots to goal ratio must be very high?
Rothwell is our best finisher at the moment. But is he a stater?
Adam Armstrong. on 15:46 - Mar 10 with 2042 viewsyateleysaint

Fraser and Rothwell are our best finishers and they’re not even strikers.

You cannot reason a person out of something they were not reasoned into.

Adam Armstrong. on 22:48 - Mar 10 with 1884 viewsSaintNick

Adam Armstrong. on 12:23 - Mar 10 by BLEEDRED

We don't have a natural finisher, Adam works very hard for his goals, but his shots to goal ratio must be very high?
Rothwell is our best finisher at the moment. But is he a stater?

He has had 79 total efforts on goal, so his conversion rate is 23% and his shot accuracy is 63 %.

His record is up there with most of the top scorers in this division and indeed as I wrote last week on a par with Haaland's

I'm not sure what people are expecting, he has by far the most involvement in goals than any other player with 18 goals and 11 assists.

On Saturday he scored one and was involved with two of the other three, yet there are those still criticising.

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Adam Armstrong. on 06:53 - Mar 11 with 1786 viewsButty101

Adam Armstrong. on 22:48 - Mar 10 by SaintNick

He has had 79 total efforts on goal, so his conversion rate is 23% and his shot accuracy is 63 %.

His record is up there with most of the top scorers in this division and indeed as I wrote last week on a par with Haaland's

I'm not sure what people are expecting, he has by far the most involvement in goals than any other player with 18 goals and 11 assists.

On Saturday he scored one and was involved with two of the other three, yet there are those still criticising.

To be Frank he has found his level. If we go up he needs replacing

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Adam Armstrong. on 07:56 - Mar 11 with 1744 viewssaintwizzler

Adam Armstrong. on 06:53 - Mar 11 by Butty101

To be Frank he has found his level. If we go up he needs replacing

Having an majority of Championship standard players and employing 2 out of their depth managers got us relegated last season.
Livramento, Lavia and JWP were soon on their toes.
Who in this current team is good enough to play in a PL side that will avoid relegation?
Fraser, Downes, Harwood-Bellis, KWP??

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Adam Armstrong. on 08:38 - Mar 11 with 1725 viewsPatfromPoole

Do those stats include the penalties?

Take those out and you get a more realistic picture.

Adam Armstrong. on 08:46 - Mar 11 with 1717 viewssaintwizzler

Adam Armstrong. on 08:38 - Mar 11 by PatfromPoole

As mentioned before he’s found his level.
As has Adams, Stuart Armstrong, Bednarek, Manning, Stephens etc
KWP, Downes, THB and Fraser are probably low end PL players but will they be with us if we stay in The Championship next season?
Can we afford to have them?
KWP will be gone.
Adams will walk on a free.
Bednarek won’t stick around.

Enjoy this season, next season in The Championship, should it happen, will be a whole lot different.

We thought that we had the answers, It was the questions we had wrong.
Poll: Knowing what we know now, should we have sacked Hasenhüttl?

Login to get fewer ads

Adam Armstrong. on 09:07 - Mar 11 with 1688 viewsButty101

Im not sure Fraser is prem class to be honest. Decent again at this level but not quick or fit enough for the prem.

Poll: Has the Ross Stewart deal already paid off as Nick says?

Adam Armstrong. on 09:19 - Mar 11 with 1682 viewsdavidargyll

I do find some of these comments puzzling! Adam is our best striker this season, period. Yes he misses some sitters, but so do some of the best. I seem to recall a certain mr Haraland have a blank run if a few games too; according to a March post in Goal.com he had”six goalless games in eight matches”
For goodness sake get real people!
Adam Armstrong. on 09:21 - Mar 11 with 1680 viewsdavidargyll

Haaland of cours…
Adam Armstrong. on 09:30 - Mar 11 with 1671 viewsPatfromPoole

I like Adam Armstrong.

Unlike Mara, he gives his all and is whole-hearted.

He also seems happy to play anywhere.

My frustration is he misses a lot of good chances.

Take out the penalties he has scored this season, and he isn't anywhere near as prolific as some are making out.

He should have scored at least 25 goals already this season.

If he had, we would be probably be in the top two.

Adam Armstrong. on 09:43 - Mar 11 with 1653 viewsSFC_Referee

Adam Armstrong. on 08:38 - Mar 11 by PatfromPoole

You say that but he’s only scored 4 pens all season, and none of those assists were from any penalties. As even if you take out the 4 pens he’s had this season, still no players been involved in more goals than he has. So it doesn’t really change the picture at all

And yeah he may have missed a few chances, but so did all the strikers we’ve ever had, weather it’s some of our best ones like Lambert or Ings, to some of the worst we’ve had like Mara or Guly
[Post edited 11 Mar 9:48]

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Adam Armstrong. on 09:50 - Mar 11 with 1640 viewsBerber

I agree Nick, he is not “ clinical”, but he gets the job done overall. He has thrived on being the main man and captain. It is a shame that the two other players mentioned are not our players, and on PL performances are seemingly unwanted by their clubs.
Adam Armstrong. on 09:50 - Mar 11 with 1640 viewsPatfromPoole

Adam Armstrong. on 09:43 - Mar 11 by SFC_Referee

You say that but he’s only scored 4 pens all season, and none of those assists were from any penalties. As even if you take out the 4 pens he’s had this season, still no players been involved in more goals than he has. So it doesn’t really change the picture at all

And yeah he may have missed a few chances, but so did all the strikers we’ve ever had, weather it’s some of our best ones like Lambert or Ings, to some of the worst we’ve had like Mara or Guly
[Post edited 11 Mar 9:48]

Of course it does.

Assists don't tell you a great deal as it can be very random as to how big a part in the goal it actually is; it can be a shot which comes off a defender's arse and falls to another one of our players. His assist for our 3rd goal on Saturday was a fluke, as it was a bad ball across the box.

Compare his goals per game played ratio this season with Smzodics at Blackburn and Sargent at Norwich, both of whom play in teams who don't create as many chances as we do.

They are both more prolific.

He has under-achieved this season. As have Adams and Mara.

Adam Armstrong. on 09:56 - Mar 11 with 1631 viewsPatfromPoole

Nick seems to be a fan of stats.

Plenty in here to admire.

https://www.eveningnews24.co.uk/sport/24172297.norwich-city-numbers-behind-josh-

Adam Armstrong. on 10:19 - Mar 11 with 1613 viewsSaintNick

Adam Armstrong. on 09:50 - Mar 11 by PatfromPoole

Of course it does.

Assists don't tell you a great deal as it can be very random as to how big a part in the goal it actually is; it can be a shot which comes off a defender's arse and falls to another one of our players. His assist for our 3rd goal on Saturday was a fluke, as it was a bad ball across the box.

Compare his goals per game played ratio this season with Smzodics at Blackburn and Sargent at Norwich, both of whom play in teams who don't create as many chances as we do.

They are both more prolific.

He has under-achieved this season. As have Adams and Mara.

I can see why you would have a go at Sekou Mara, but how can you say a man who has scored 18 goals and is the Championship top scorer plus with 11 assists has been directly involved in more goals this season than anyone else in the Championship (his cross for Southwell was not counted as an assist on Saturday as it took a deflection) Lots of flukes in football, but you have to be in the right place to get them.

Stats arent the be all of things as I have pointed out above, but they are a guideline, Smozdics has a slightly better goals ratio, but both their stats are very similar.

Josh Sargent has done well but has only played 17 games.

Erling Haaland is leading Premier League scorer for Manchester City he too has 18 goals, he has had just 4 less shots than Adam and his goal conversion rate at 24% is just 1% more than our mans.

So there is the bench mark, Haaland considered the best striker in Europe or is he too underperforming ?

Best conversion rate in the Premier League is Elijah Adibayo on 41%, who would you rather have in your team him or Haaland ?

Of course though Saints do have a striker on the books with a better strike rate than Adam Armstrong, that is of course Sekou Mara, he has 3 Championship goals to his name from 450 minutes on the pitch, a strike rate of a goal every 150 minutes compared with Adams goal every 165 minutes.

This is as I am sure you will agree an exceptional record, it is almost identical to Sammie Szmodics record of a goal every 148 minutes.

There is the solution to your problem , forget Adams Armstrong , forget Che Adams (165 minutes per goal), give more game time to Sekou !

Satisfying The Bloodlust Of The Masses In Peacetime

Adam Armstrong. on 10:53 - Mar 11 with 1580 viewsfelly1

Adam Armstrong. on 10:19 - Mar 11 by SaintNick

I can see why you would have a go at Sekou Mara, but how can you say a man who has scored 18 goals and is the Championship top scorer plus with 11 assists has been directly involved in more goals this season than anyone else in the Championship (his cross for Southwell was not counted as an assist on Saturday as it took a deflection) Lots of flukes in football, but you have to be in the right place to get them.

Stats arent the be all of things as I have pointed out above, but they are a guideline, Smozdics has a slightly better goals ratio, but both their stats are very similar.

Erling Haaland is leading Premier League scorer for Manchester City he too has 18 goals, he has had just 4 less shots than Adam and his goal conversion rate at 24% is just 1% more than our mans.

So there is the bench mark, Haaland considered the best striker in Europe or is he too underperforming ?

Best conversion rate in the Premier League is Elijah Adibayo on 41%, who would you rather have in your team him or Haaland ?

Of course though Saints do have a striker on the books with a better strike rate than Adam Armstrong, that is of course Sekou Mara, he has 3 Championship goals to his name from 450 minutes on the pitch, a strike rate of a goal every 150 minutes compared with Adams goal every 165 minutes.

This is as I am sure you will agree an exceptional record, it is almost identical to Sammie Szmodics record of a goal every 148 minutes.

There is the solution to your problem , forget Adams Armstrong , forget Che Adams (165 minutes per goal), give more game time to Sekou !

Earlier in the season it was less noticeable.
But in recent months he struggles to strike the ball cleanly or he smashes it over the bar.
I appreciate that's normal for a striker at times but he's missed some real sitters.
Whether it's a confidence issue or I'm waking up to the realities of Championship standard football.
Adam Armstrong. on 10:57 - Mar 11 with 1578 viewsSonicBoom

As fans we change with the wind. Rothwell scored two crackers a couple of weeks ago. The next game he didn't and he got slated that he wasn't good enough. This week he grabs two more and suddenly he's fantastic again. It's exhausting.
Adam Armstrong. on 23:26 - Mar 11 with 1376 viewssaint22

Adam Armstrong. on 09:30 - Mar 11 by PatfromPoole

I like Adam Armstrong.

Unlike Mara, he gives his all and is whole-hearted.

He also seems happy to play anywhere.

My frustration is he misses a lot of good chances.

Take out the penalties he has scored this season, and he isn't anywhere near as prolific as some are making out.

He should have scored at least 25 goals already this season.

If he had, we would be probably be in the top two.

I like him too, he tries every game, works hard and his record is a good as you can ask for in any league, this is his level

I will say it again though we need a finishing coach, our conversion rate is woeful, you only have to watch the warm up and how many efforts fly wide or over. As someone said, Rothwell can finish his 1st goal showed that Saturday, calmly placed in the corner when most of our team would slash wildly and hit row z
we bought in a defensive coach to improve the defence & until RM started selecting Jack and disrupting it that worked
We need an offensive coach to improve our shots on target and then goals
Adam Armstrong. on 08:33 - Mar 12 with 1291 viewsSonicBoom

I'm sure our strikers work on finishing every day but sooner or later they simply hit their level. Adams and Armstrong are not suddenly going to improve now. Really good finishers are instinctive. They just have that calmness and awareness at the right moment that i don't think you can teach.
They are also extremely expensive!
Adam Armstrong. on 12:40 - Mar 12 with 1227 viewsSFC_Referee

Adam Armstrong. on 08:33 - Mar 12 by SonicBoom

I'm sure our strikers work on finishing every day but sooner or later they simply hit their level. Adams and Armstrong are not suddenly going to improve now. Really good finishers are instinctive. They just have that calmness and awareness at the right moment that i don't think you can teach.
They are also extremely expensive!

Yeah well Adams will almost certainly be heading off this summer, but with how he’s been this season I really am starting to wonder if any prem teams will come for him or not? As I know he was previously linked with wolves, but for how well they’ve been doing and how mediocre he’s been doing in the championship I don’t know if they will be that interested in signing him or not

Poll: Should Russel Martins be sacked if we don’t win playoffs

Adam Armstrong. on 14:20 - Mar 13 with 1048 viewsGRIM

Adam Armstrong. on 10:53 - Mar 11 by felly1

Earlier in the season it was less noticeable.
But in recent months he struggles to strike the ball cleanly or he smashes it over the bar.
I appreciate that's normal for a striker at times but he's missed some real sitters.
Whether it's a confidence issue or I'm waking up to the realities of Championship standard football.

AA plays with his head down & snatches at everything that is why a lot of his shots & passes go astray.
If he could learn to get his head up, see the picture & pick his shots & passes he'd be the real deal.
But he is what he is,
a decent Championship player that will never crack it in Premier lge.
Adam Armstrong. on 14:28 - Mar 13 with 1038 viewsTimSaint

Adam Armstrong. on 10:19 - Mar 11 by SaintNick

You are seriously comparing A Armstrong to Haaland ?

If you want a fair compare, perhaps take a look at the stats for both players from last season, when they were both in the Prem ?

TimSaint

Adam Armstrong. on 15:02 - Mar 13 with 1032 viewsfranniesTache

Adam Armstrong is a modern day Brett Ormerod, that's why he's so good in the championship.

He doesn't really have a huge amount of skill, but he's a pain in the arse for defenders and has enough pace and energy to get himself into alright positions, but then needs about 5 of those to get a goal.

In the top flight he'd probably only get one a game (if that) so was completely useless, in the championship he'll score a lot because the opposition make a lot more mistakes.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024