Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers 09:09 - May 17 with 7726 viewsNorthernr

Here we go then...

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/62478
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 09:28 - May 17 with 4481 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Fair comments, and fair rating.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 09:59 - May 17 with 4387 viewsfrancisbowles

Well done on keeping it factual and not emotive.
😁
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:07 - May 17 with 4341 viewsAntti_Heinola

Heat map line worth my patreon fee for a year.

I have to say last summer, with where we were and how little money we had, and the desperation I genuinely felt about Ainsworth tackling a whole season, I defended the signing as a decent stop gap. Someone fairly sound to do a year for us while we sort the effing GK situation out and have someone decent in place for 2024/25.
It didn't go as well as i hoped. But the real issue is, what is happening next season? I remain concerned he's getting another deal.

Bare bones.

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:11 - May 17 with 4327 viewsNorthernr

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:07 - May 17 by Antti_Heinola

Heat map line worth my patreon fee for a year.

I have to say last summer, with where we were and how little money we had, and the desperation I genuinely felt about Ainsworth tackling a whole season, I defended the signing as a decent stop gap. Someone fairly sound to do a year for us while we sort the effing GK situation out and have someone decent in place for 2024/25.
It didn't go as well as i hoped. But the real issue is, what is happening next season? I remain concerned he's getting another deal.

We've actually recorded the panel discussion that goes into these marks this year, part one (keepers and defenders) will be on the Patreon later today so you can find out who/where that flag line comes from
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:33 - May 17 with 4201 viewsAntti_Heinola

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:11 - May 17 by Northernr

We've actually recorded the panel discussion that goes into these marks this year, part one (keepers and defenders) will be on the Patreon later today so you can find out who/where that flag line comes from

Will look forward to that!

Bare bones.

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:44 - May 17 with 4139 viewsstevec

Blimey, I can only assume Joe Lumley was on E’s in every end of term report? He must have been on something.

Go along with the general theme and I’ve no idea how Opta work out their ratings, I’m sure they’re very good at it. That said, if there was the equivalent of a one on one situation where a goal against seemed more likely than unlikely, I generally felt that Begovic did exactly what a good keeper should do and saved more of those than anyone in recent memory aside of the other aforementioned bench sitter you spoke of who was excellent for us, his name will come back to me in a minute.

There were errors without doubt and the leave it to centre backs option was alarming but I can’t get past the fact that QPR don’t often do under 60 goals conceded especially in a side rooted in the bottom three for most of the season.

A D feels a bit harsh in those circumstances.

That said, you seem to be on the sort of roll where I can’t wait to see the forwards appraisals!

Smithies, that’s the one.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:44 - May 17 with 4144 viewseastside_r

Can't disagree with any of that.

I think that you are right about his distribution. It was comically bad under Ainsworth and it was no surprise that Cifuentes, like all the cool and groovy kids wanted to play out from the back, something that we all seemed would be beyond Begovic.

However, I suspect that they rather stumbled on the idea of Dunne at right back to solve this problem rather than Dunne's late evident attacking qualities. That 'out' ball meant that Begovic's lack of confidence (technique?) with the ball at his feet, provided us all with some relief.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:09 - May 17 with 3999 viewsCateLeBonR

The speed at which Cifuentes picked Walsh when we were safe is an indication that it was something they’d considered before.

For me it’s another example of good management that the perception is we have a good young prospect on our hands going into next season. Compared to what we would have had if we’d picked Walsh before and it hadn’t gone well.
Login to get fewer ads

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:16 - May 17 with 3938 viewsNed_Kennedys

A lot of people may have their summers ruined if Begovic is given another year: his ‘we go again next season’ and not being included in the club’s goodbye messages indicate it’s a strong possibility.

He was part of a much improved defence, was available every game when the other options were a big worry, and we’ve had far far worse. Did some bad stuff and did some good stuff: would’ve given him a C.

Personally would be happy for him to be here next year, ideally on the bench as back up to a new keeper who fits into Cifuentes, style better. I’d get Walsh out on a season long loan at L1 level.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:36 - May 17 with 3841 viewsTheChef

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 10:44 - May 17 by stevec

Blimey, I can only assume Joe Lumley was on E’s in every end of term report? He must have been on something.

Go along with the general theme and I’ve no idea how Opta work out their ratings, I’m sure they’re very good at it. That said, if there was the equivalent of a one on one situation where a goal against seemed more likely than unlikely, I generally felt that Begovic did exactly what a good keeper should do and saved more of those than anyone in recent memory aside of the other aforementioned bench sitter you spoke of who was excellent for us, his name will come back to me in a minute.

There were errors without doubt and the leave it to centre backs option was alarming but I can’t get past the fact that QPR don’t often do under 60 goals conceded especially in a side rooted in the bottom three for most of the season.

A D feels a bit harsh in those circumstances.

That said, you seem to be on the sort of roll where I can’t wait to see the forwards appraisals!

Smithies, that’s the one.

Hmmm yeah I'm also C/D perhaps coloured by his decent performances in the last three games especially v Leeds.

Either way C or D is not great!

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:40 - May 17 with 3818 viewsGaryBannister86

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:16 - May 17 by Ned_Kennedys

A lot of people may have their summers ruined if Begovic is given another year: his ‘we go again next season’ and not being included in the club’s goodbye messages indicate it’s a strong possibility.

He was part of a much improved defence, was available every game when the other options were a big worry, and we’ve had far far worse. Did some bad stuff and did some good stuff: would’ve given him a C.

Personally would be happy for him to be here next year, ideally on the bench as back up to a new keeper who fits into Cifuentes, style better. I’d get Walsh out on a season long loan at L1 level.

Ned - I don't know how you do it and manage to be supportive of the guy. Full respect.

It is beyond me, but then I am bitter and twisted :-).

I would have given him an F, for F off back to Chelsea.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:44 - May 17 with 3810 viewsNorthernr

Even if we agree to go with your C, which I obviously think is generous, do you think he'll be able to improve (or even maintain) your C next season, another year older?

Whether we think he was adequate or not this season, the idea we try and go round again with him next season is crazy talk.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 12:05 - May 17 with 3680 viewsTheChef

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:44 - May 17 by Northernr

Even if we agree to go with your C, which I obviously think is generous, do you think he'll be able to improve (or even maintain) your C next season, another year older?

Whether we think he was adequate or not this season, the idea we try and go round again with him next season is crazy talk.

I assume his contract expires 30th June, so I hope/pray the club's goodbye message will be released then.

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 12:11 - May 17 with 3634 viewsbosh67

I would imagine letting Begs go would free up a lot of money to get Hayden in.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 12:13 - May 17 with 3625 viewsNorthernr

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 12:11 - May 17 by bosh67

I would imagine letting Begs go would free up a lot of money to get Hayden in.

who's also a better goalkeeper than him.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 12:29 - May 17 with 3495 viewscheeseydane

The Rotheram keepers on route to Stoke by all accounts for under a million. Was hoping we would have been interested.

Technology advances, unfortunately humans do not.

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 12:31 - May 17 with 3480 viewsKensalT

I'm going to be slightly contrary and say D is a bit harsh.

The defensive unit has been one of the best in the Championship under Cifuentes. That can't be achieved without a keeper who is doing his job right.

I wouldn't disagree with any of the criticisms. But keepers (like strikers) tend to have their mistakes getting stuck in the mind because they are usually costly.

Personally don't think we should give him another year, but C/C- would be about right for me.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 12:48 - May 17 with 3404 viewsDavieQPR

Begovic was good as long as he did't have to move much. His legs have gone. No spring or movement from them. With regard to the Rotherham keeper most of the division were after him at that price. Will become be one of the highest paid players in the Championship.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 13:22 - May 17 with 3247 viewsWegerles_Stairs

"His footwork was that of an early round exit from Strictly Come Dancing."

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 14:00 - May 17 with 3111 viewsAntti_Heinola

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 11:44 - May 17 by Northernr

Moreover, paying him a huge wedge to be on the bench? Er, no thanks.

Bare bones.

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 14:04 - May 17 with 3064 viewsTheChef

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 14:00 - May 17 by Antti_Heinola

Moreover, paying him a huge wedge to be on the bench? Er, no thanks.

Well let's hope not - but I don't think anyone has any clue how much his weekly wage is. I mean it may not be a ludicrous sum.

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 14:10 - May 17 with 3014 viewsstainrods_elbow

Agree with that - the brickbats hurled at Begovic (who admittedly didn't do himself too many favours with his pro-Chelsea social media postings, and who I don't think should have been captain) were OTT, and he deserved a C(+) at least. Made the odd (bad) mistake, but no more than Seny ever did, especially at the end, and kept us in games.

If he's here next season, I'd be OK with that, but if not, we need decent, reliable quality between the sticks.

Poll: What will be our upcoming/final points tally? (8 games to go)

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 14:13 - May 17 with 3031 viewsStrawberryHillR

Bear with me but, if we like Walsh, and want him to have a chance, is it worth having Begovic around the place? It's naive to think Walsh is going to get through a full season without a blip in form, is it worth having an experienced glove salesman at Harlington to help him through it and maybe step in if required?

No-one else is giving Begovic a deal, so if he wants to stay part of it and is willing to take a monster pay cut (neither of which might appeal to him), would it, perhaps, be worth considering?

If not surely that means getting a new no.1 in, sidelining Walsh again, and next season we've still got Walsh and Salamon, only one of whom can go out on loan this season, limiting the development opportunites of one of them.
End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 14:23 - May 17 with 2971 viewsR_from_afar

Great piece, many thanks, but...wot no Lyndon?

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

End of Term Report 23/24 – Goalkeepers on 14:52 - May 17 with 2836 viewsLanhoop

C? No, sorry. The saves he did make in some games have just lifted him from getting an E. D is the right score.

He isn't what we need to have sitting on the bench as a backup either. We can surely do better.

Also, he may have been a decent sort in the dressing room but making him captain was Gaz's mistake and letting him keep the captaincy was one of Marti's few errors. He was too quiet on the pitch and we need to have someone in the refs ear a lot, lot more.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024