Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Losing our religion? 14:09 - Aug 22 with 3760 viewswr72

Anyone else seeing this? The days of us keeping possession until the opposition are knackered seem to be dwindling.Now it's more tippy tappy and then wallop up front and hope for the best.I know we had to evolve after Rodgers left but by each passing game i see us losing what was our forte and now we're a lot similar to any other club other than Cardiff and Stoke.Just a thought!
[Post edited 22 Aug 2013 14:10]
Losing our religion? on 14:24 - Aug 22 with 3682 viewsshandyjack

we do tend to attack a lot more but i think we still play the possession game to a certain extent, we still have our identity

Poll: Expectation for the season

Losing our religion? on 14:32 - Aug 22 with 3641 viewsSenhin

We still tend to get higher posession stats with a lot more passes than our opponents, we just go up the pitch a lot quicker and actually try to do something with most of our passes.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Losing our religion? on 14:41 - Aug 22 with 3593 viewsneilrichards

Losing our religion? on 14:32 - Aug 22 by Senhin

We still tend to get higher posession stats with a lot more passes than our opponents, we just go up the pitch a lot quicker and actually try to do something with most of our passes.

Agreed, a lot of our possession used to be in the middle 1/3 or our own half, now we look as if our our passes have a lot more purpose and carry more of an attacking threat, when you do that it's inevitable that your going to give the ball away more (unless your Barca) as there are more of the opposition players in that part of the field.

We've still got our identity, it's not like we've changed our name to Swansea Swans or changed our colours or anything
[Post edited 22 Aug 2013 14:42]
Losing our religion? on 14:43 - Aug 22 with 3579 viewsEuroJacks

I was reading an online debate between a United fan and baca fa.The utd fan was saying barca and spain are passing for the sake of passing and boring to watch,the barca fan was saying most english teams are long ball,Then the utd fan replied barca should play more like swansea. happy days.
Losing our religion? on 14:48 - Aug 22 with 3550 viewsDull1Thomas

Losing our religion? on 14:24 - Aug 22 by shandyjack

we do tend to attack a lot more but i think we still play the possession game to a certain extent, we still have our identity

Yep.
Typified by Shevey's long raking passes.
Probably will work as often as it doesn't and some fans who never really got into our passing style will love it.
My own view is it will lead us into the Championship as other teams are more used to neutralising the threat and we don't have the players to exploit this 'English' style. Although United would have probably won the game anyway, I thing the drubbing was down to this approach and arrogance.

Poll: Should Huw Jenkins step down?

Losing our religion? on 14:50 - Aug 22 with 3543 viewsmonmouth

Losing our religion? on 14:43 - Aug 22 by EuroJacks

I was reading an online debate between a United fan and baca fa.The utd fan was saying barca and spain are passing for the sake of passing and boring to watch,the barca fan was saying most english teams are long ball,Then the utd fan replied barca should play more like swansea. happy days.

.......and lose to them 4-1 instead of tanking them? :)

I think we are still playing neat attractive football, using triangles and switching play into space; it just all happens with more purpose now. I don't think for one second that is like all other teams except the hoofers. We are still pretty unique in the PL with our ambition to keep passing. We are evolving though, without doubt.

Sometimes, it is to our detriment and I'd like to see more selfishness. There is often room to turn and drive forward, or to take a shot, but we generally look first to pass quickly to someone else instead.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Losing our religion? on 14:52 - Aug 22 with 3535 viewsmonmouth

Losing our religion? on 14:48 - Aug 22 by Dull1Thomas

Yep.
Probably will work as often as it doesn't and some fans who never really got into our passing style will love it.
My own view is it will lead us into the Championship as other teams are more used to neutralising the threat and we don't have the players to exploit this 'English' style. Although United would have probably won the game anyway, I thing the drubbing was down to this approach and arrogance.

Wow. Just wow.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

Losing our religion? on 15:00 - Aug 22 with 3503 viewsDeluxe

Losing our religion? on 14:43 - Aug 22 by EuroJacks

LOL That thing of Barça and Spain having possesion 'for the sake of passing' is one of the biggest farces any football fan can read nowadays. If Barça and Spain do that, it's because it has very clear purposes for their own benefit. Sometimes it works, and sometimes it doesn't (judging by titles we can't blame them of playing that way). I don't know why Italian catenaccio is 'socially' accepted, while Barcelona way of playing receives so much criticism. Any style should be respected, because any team want to win using their weapons.

That United fan was probably angry because in the last two CL finals against Barcelona his team didn't see the ball
Login to get fewer ads

Losing our religion? on 15:00 - Aug 22 with 3502 viewsPlasticman

Losing our religion? on 14:48 - Aug 22 by Dull1Thomas

Yep.

because being a one-dimensional trick-pony with zero versatility or ability to adapt is really going to be what keeps us in the premier when we asume that opposing managers actually do their job and prepare for the games they are about to play, right?

Shelvey gives us extra options and keeps the opposition on their toes when they can't just prepare for one type of play, but have to spread out more and be practically ready for anything.

Only having one option (like under Brendan) only works when the opposition can't adapt. Let's not pretend the premier league is super easy and other teams aren't going to do what they can to win their games. Only having one option would be the sure way to relegation. It's the fact that we have kept evolving and kept opponents guessing that we keep doing well overall.

Plastic since 2012

Losing our religion? on 15:44 - Aug 22 with 3387 viewsSenhin

You really are dull, Thomas.

Did you see that ludicrous display last night?

Losing our religion? on 23:16 - Aug 22 with 3086 viewsTom1912

Under Rodgers it was a safety net. Under Laudrup it's possession football with a purpose.

I really don't think we could have finished much higher than we did under Rodgers if we carried on playing that style of football.

The fundamentals are absolutely still there-we play out from the back, we look for quick, slick passing. We just try and do it more in the opposition's final third.

How anyone can call it tippy tappy then wallop up front and hope for the best is beyond me.
Losing our religion? on 23:30 - Aug 22 with 3047 viewsGowerjack

How I long for a return to the glory days we enjoyed under Paulo Sousa.....

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Losing our religion? on 23:32 - Aug 22 with 3042 viewsGowerjack

By the way...

That's me

In the corner.

Plastic since 1974
Poll: Is ECB for tyranny?

Losing our religion? on 23:33 - Aug 22 with 3037 viewsdavidaeaton

Losing our religion? on 23:32 - Aug 22 by Gowerjack

By the way...

That's me

In the corner.

In the spotlight per chance?

"And I am not frightened of dying, any time will do, I don't mind. Why should I be frightened of dying? There's no reason for it, you've gotta go sometime"............one day we will all encounter the great gig in the sky!

Losing our religion? on 00:12 - Aug 23 with 2954 viewsLiam12345

the way we play now is much better

Poll: Will we stay up? (if you think not why?)

Losing our religion? on 10:09 - Aug 23 with 2740 viewswr72

To be fair we looked like we went back to the days of possession football last night and it was great to see and very effective.Our 2 previous games though v United and Malmo away i thought we were far too direct and gave away possession too cheaply.
Losing our religion? on 10:11 - Aug 23 with 2728 viewsnickyfran75

Possession play with no cutting edge is awful style of football, Rodgers found that out after going to Liverpool.

Goals win games.
Losing our religion? on 10:12 - Aug 23 with 2721 viewsperchrockjack

One f the first songs I learned

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

Losing our religion? on 10:12 - Aug 23 with 2719 viewsperchrockjack

Its Autobiographical for me

Poll: Who has left Wales and why

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024