Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Japan 13:38 - Jun 21 with 2453 viewsCountyJim

Anyone else been watching the series on Japan fantastic programme and what a wonderful country

Those old Dears catching Snakes
Japan on 13:47 - Jun 21 with 2437 viewsepaul

One word, brilliant, even watched the re run last night

The hair and the beard have gone I am now conforming to society, tis a sad day The b*stards are coming back though

Japan on 14:17 - Jun 21 with 2424 viewsCountyJim

Japan on 13:47 - Jun 21 by epaul

One word, brilliant, even watched the re run last night

Totally surprised me such a beautiful place Paul
Japan on 15:11 - Jun 21 with 2393 viewsGroo

what channel and whats it called?

Groo does what Groo does best

Japan on 15:29 - Jun 21 with 2376 viewsCountyJim

Japan on 15:11 - Jun 21 by Groo

what channel and whats it called?

http://bbc.in/1BUU6kn

There you go enjoy
Japan on 15:48 - Jun 21 with 2360 viewsGroo

Thanks, the wife's Japanese, she'd like to see that.

Took a look at the first few minutes, spotted Nara where the deer walk amongst the people in the streets, been there :)

Japan on 17:09 - Jun 21 with 2322 viewsItchySphincter

I've been a couple of times - weird and wonderful country. I saw the programme too and thought it was very good.

‘……. like a moth to Itchy’s flame ……’
Poll: Planet Swans or Planet Swans? Which one's you favourite.

Japan on 19:38 - Jun 21 with 2269 viewsstevethejack

Been waching the series. Seriously thinking of going there next year.
Japan on 22:23 - Jun 21 with 2202 viewsmarchamjack

Went there 10 years ago. Intriguing place, totally different to most other countries I've been to, very hard to get around day to day just because of language difference and lack of English. Still have nightmares about trying to order train tickets and holding the queue up for what seemed like for ever!

My neighbour is Japanese. She couldn't wait to leave Japan when she was old enough and would never go back there to live. Too much regimented order and too much servitude to the company you work for. Work life balance is all skewed to work. Just her view of course.

Still a fascinating country.

Oh,..Dave, what's occuring?

Login to get fewer ads

Japan on 00:53 - Jun 22 with 2179 viewsGroo

Japan on 22:23 - Jun 21 by marchamjack

Went there 10 years ago. Intriguing place, totally different to most other countries I've been to, very hard to get around day to day just because of language difference and lack of English. Still have nightmares about trying to order train tickets and holding the queue up for what seemed like for ever!

My neighbour is Japanese. She couldn't wait to leave Japan when she was old enough and would never go back there to live. Too much regimented order and too much servitude to the company you work for. Work life balance is all skewed to work. Just her view of course.

Still a fascinating country.

It's improving, we went for a month last year, first time in 10 years and we were surprised at the multi language signs now, not just English but Chinese and Korean.

There's a City in the South that's built to look like Holland, definitely a place on my list, it must be weird.

The younger generation is changing compared to the old guard too.

The land mass of Japan is almost identical to the UK but they have more than twice the population. Seeing pelican crossings 100m long are surreal.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2015 0:55]

Japan on 05:15 - Jun 22 with 2155 viewsCooperman

I've not been watching the programmes but I am a regular visitor, including this week. I said to Darran only yesterday on another thread that the country has a lot to offer the first time tourist although I don't find Tokyo as good as Hong Kong, Bangkok, or Singapore.

Japan is a country that is very much on the change in terms the behaviour of its people and the younger generation is definitely taking Japan into a new era with a definite Western theme about it. MarchamJack's neighbour wasn't too far off the mark with her comments and these still ring true in many areas although it is being broken down bit by bit. However the Western influences doesn't necessarily bring the chaos that we experience back home and there are two things that vividly remind me of this every time I come here, 1) the level of respect show to other human beings is still extremely high, 2) queuing for public transport is undertaken in an orderly queue and with no pushing and shoving ala London Underground. We could learn a lot from how the Japanese behave and interact with their fellow people.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

Japan on 18:29 - Jun 22 with 2081 viewstf_jack

Watch NFK every day. Love to go there but health problem denies insurance

Tough times don't last. Tough people do.

Japan on 19:11 - Jun 22 with 2060 viewsGroo

Japan on 05:15 - Jun 22 by Cooperman

I've not been watching the programmes but I am a regular visitor, including this week. I said to Darran only yesterday on another thread that the country has a lot to offer the first time tourist although I don't find Tokyo as good as Hong Kong, Bangkok, or Singapore.

Japan is a country that is very much on the change in terms the behaviour of its people and the younger generation is definitely taking Japan into a new era with a definite Western theme about it. MarchamJack's neighbour wasn't too far off the mark with her comments and these still ring true in many areas although it is being broken down bit by bit. However the Western influences doesn't necessarily bring the chaos that we experience back home and there are two things that vividly remind me of this every time I come here, 1) the level of respect show to other human beings is still extremely high, 2) queuing for public transport is undertaken in an orderly queue and with no pushing and shoving ala London Underground. We could learn a lot from how the Japanese behave and interact with their fellow people.

No pushing or shoving! haha they employ people to push

When we visited about 10 years ago, we got on a train, then my wife noticed a sign, it was something added since she moved away, women only carriages which were set up due to nuicance men (perverts). we were in one and all the women were looking daggers at me lol

There are lines painted on the platform, where people line up for their trains, each one identified for certain trains and the doors stop at the lines.

Japan on 21:48 - Jun 22 with 2028 viewsLeonisGod

Japan on 19:11 - Jun 22 by Groo

When we visited about 10 years ago, we got on a train, then my wife noticed a sign, it was something added since she moved away, women only carriages which were set up due to nuicance men (perverts). we were in one and all the women were looking daggers at me lol

There are lines painted on the platform, where people line up for their trains, each one identified for certain trains and the doors stop at the lines.

That was what caught me out when I went. Queuing up for the Shinkansen with baggage, pushchair and 2 year old. It all seemed very civilised until the train came in and I had about 15 seconds to get everything on board. They barely stop at stations. Still they adore small kids so I usually got plenty of help.
Japan on 08:59 - Jun 23 with 1983 viewsNogginthenog

I find the programme fascinating and the photography is superb. However I wish this Japanese affinity with the wildlife extended to whales as well.
Japan on 01:06 - Jun 24 with 1916 viewsdailew

Japan on 00:53 - Jun 22 by Groo

It's improving, we went for a month last year, first time in 10 years and we were surprised at the multi language signs now, not just English but Chinese and Korean.

There's a City in the South that's built to look like Holland, definitely a place on my list, it must be weird.

The younger generation is changing compared to the old guard too.

The land mass of Japan is almost identical to the UK but they have more than twice the population. Seeing pelican crossings 100m long are surreal.
[Post edited 22 Jun 2015 0:55]

It's about 50% bigger.

Enjoyed my visit there but couldn't wait to leave. Too regimented. Train guards bow as they enter the carriage. Cleaners bow as bullet trains enter the station.

Best thing about Tokyo was the parks.

Great skiing there. 2 foot of snow even in early Dec.

Poll: Would you like Rodgers back as the new manager ?

Japan on 03:51 - Jun 24 with 1902 viewsCooperman

Japan on 19:11 - Jun 22 by Groo

Ha! Yes to be honest I did see something like that on Sunday in Shinjuku.

Poll: Your confectionery tub of choice

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024