Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Great rock n roll books recommend . 21:46 - Jan 25 with 3779 viewsWilloW4

For those of you who still like to read a real book, I was lucky enough to get a few for my birthday Saturday.. And if I maybe so bold can I hugely recommend the following: Rock n Roll Gentleman, Lee Brilleaux. By Zoe Howe, an excellent read, a great singer/frontman, if you're a fan of Dr.Feelgood and old school London/Essex RnB get yourself a copy.. Also:'Anger is an energy' by John Lydon.. Very funny and poignant .. London life in the late 60's to today..both books are a joy to read..10/10.. ( also very good: 'life in 1950's London by Mike Hutton, for those who like a bit of honest funny nostalgia).
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 21:55 - Jan 25 with 3002 viewsjamois

Hellfire - Nick Tosches

Trust me, nothing like it.

Poll: What's our back 4 for Wembley?

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 22:06 - Jan 25 with 2989 viewsShotKneesHoop

Nothing comes close to this one by Al Kooper - on its third reprint

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Backstage_Passes_and_Backstabbing_Bastards

So good that I bought two copies in case I lost one, and managed to lose both of them.

Must buy another couple soon.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Backstage-Passes-Backstabbing-Bastards-Survivor/dp/08793

Why does it feel like R'SWiPe is still on the books? Yer Couldn't Make It Up.Well Done Me!

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 22:16 - Jan 25 with 2968 viewsWilloW4

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 21:55 - Jan 25 by jamois

Hellfire - Nick Tosches

Good call Jamois: read it recently and loved it.
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 23:11 - Jan 25 with 2905 viewsted_hendrix

My library consists of the following, they all happen to be quite old so probably cheap out there in the internet world;

"According to the Rolling Stones" Huge and heavy book A4 size but good.
"Blues Odyssey" Bill Wyman another A4 book.
"Ronnie" by Ronnie Wood, cracking good read.
"Life" by Keith Richards, pretty dammed good.
"Stone Me" (The wit and wisdom of Keith Richards) great and sometimes funny read.
"Boogie Man The Adventures of John Lee Hooker" by Charles Shaar Murray, this book is a Godsend about the excellent and one and only Sheraton King maestro.
"Slash surviving G&Rs" by Paul Stenning; so so book nothing special.
"Lennon Remembers" by Jann, S, Wenner, I've got a heap of Beatles books but this is the best.
"Scuse Me While I Kiss the Sky" by David Henderson, easily the best book I've read about Hendrix.

For anyone who's interested and a bit of a single coil and amplifier anorak like me all of the following books give a great insight to where all of this marvellous sound comes from.

"The Fender Amp Book" by John Morrish
"The Fender Telecaster" by A.R. Duchossoir.
"Six Decades of the Fender Telecaster" by Tony Bacon.
"Fender Amps (the first 50 Years)" by John Teagle; this is one awesome book so awesome I've read it Twice.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 23:22 - Jan 25 with 2888 viewsconnell10

Just read julian copes book head-on and im just starting repossessed , and i must say its bloody brilliant! Go out and buy it!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 23:28 - Jan 25 with 2884 viewsWilloW4

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 23:11 - Jan 25 by ted_hendrix

My library consists of the following, they all happen to be quite old so probably cheap out there in the internet world;

"According to the Rolling Stones" Huge and heavy book A4 size but good.
"Blues Odyssey" Bill Wyman another A4 book.
"Ronnie" by Ronnie Wood, cracking good read.
"Life" by Keith Richards, pretty dammed good.
"Stone Me" (The wit and wisdom of Keith Richards) great and sometimes funny read.
"Boogie Man The Adventures of John Lee Hooker" by Charles Shaar Murray, this book is a Godsend about the excellent and one and only Sheraton King maestro.
"Slash surviving G&Rs" by Paul Stenning; so so book nothing special.
"Lennon Remembers" by Jann, S, Wenner, I've got a heap of Beatles books but this is the best.
"Scuse Me While I Kiss the Sky" by David Henderson, easily the best book I've read about Hendrix.

For anyone who's interested and a bit of a single coil and amplifier anorak like me all of the following books give a great insight to where all of this marvellous sound comes from.

"The Fender Amp Book" by John Morrish
"The Fender Telecaster" by A.R. Duchossoir.
"Six Decades of the Fender Telecaster" by Tony Bacon.
"Fender Amps (the first 50 Years)" by John Teagle; this is one awesome book so awesome I've read it Twice.

Some very fine books there Ted, 'boogie man, the adventures of John Lee Hooker' is excellent.. To be hugely educated in how it all really started and amazed how it all came about, may I recommend "Sam Phillips , the man who invented rock nroll" by Peter Guralnick. It's outstanding mate.
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 00:05 - Jan 26 with 2849 viewsqueensparker

Just been rereading "Please Kill Me" about how punk started in New York from Lou Reed / Warhol all the way through Stooges / Bowie / New York Dolls / Television etc. As a format it's brilliant, just interviews with everyone who was there. One of the greatest music books ever even if you're not that into the actual music.

The Ian "Mac" McLagan biography "All The Rage" (keyboard player in the Small Faces / Faces) is a great read, lots of memories of Twickenham, west London etc.

And Mick Farren's "Give The Anarchist A Cigarette" - came up in 60s Notting HIll, was on the door at the UFO and at all the hippie marches, singer with The Deviants, mates with Lemmy and the Pink Fairies and Hawkwind and the Ladbroke Grove 70s mob, wrote for the NME in the glory days. A great ode to a more angry and idealistic time in our manor, was lucky enough to meet him a few times before he sadly died last year, a great man.

Neil Strauss' Motley Crue biography is insane. Can't stand the band, but it's an incredible read.

And another shout for Hellfire, a brilliant book
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 00:11 - Jan 26 with 2844 viewsWilloW4

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 00:05 - Jan 26 by queensparker

Just been rereading "Please Kill Me" about how punk started in New York from Lou Reed / Warhol all the way through Stooges / Bowie / New York Dolls / Television etc. As a format it's brilliant, just interviews with everyone who was there. One of the greatest music books ever even if you're not that into the actual music.

The Ian "Mac" McLagan biography "All The Rage" (keyboard player in the Small Faces / Faces) is a great read, lots of memories of Twickenham, west London etc.

And Mick Farren's "Give The Anarchist A Cigarette" - came up in 60s Notting HIll, was on the door at the UFO and at all the hippie marches, singer with The Deviants, mates with Lemmy and the Pink Fairies and Hawkwind and the Ladbroke Grove 70s mob, wrote for the NME in the glory days. A great ode to a more angry and idealistic time in our manor, was lucky enough to meet him a few times before he sadly died last year, a great man.

Neil Strauss' Motley Crue biography is insane. Can't stand the band, but it's an incredible read.

Nice mention for mick farren, and Ian Mclagans 'all the rage'.. Good one , well said queensparker.!👍👍.
Login to get fewer ads

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 00:13 - Jan 26 with 2841 viewsted_hendrix

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 23:28 - Jan 25 by WilloW4

Some very fine books there Ted, 'boogie man, the adventures of John Lee Hooker' is excellent.. To be hugely educated in how it all really started and amazed how it all came about, may I recommend "Sam Phillips , the man who invented rock nroll" by Peter Guralnick. It's outstanding mate.

Sam Phillips eh?
Long time ago I done my first Mississippi road trip and of course ended up in Sun Studios in Memphis so you'll appreciate I took on board all the required Knowledge about Sam Phillips.
A few years later I went back with my youngest son who's a bit of an Elvis nut so we done from New Orleans to Memphis so visited Sun Studios again only this time doing the tour,
Just standing in the studio where all those famous artists stood Years ago was bliss, everything is left just how it was when the place was shut down, all the recording gear just left there.
I've got a Sun Studio CD that i bought that has original recordings on it, I got the picture of me sat outside that most famous of recording studios looking like a daft kid let loose in a sweet shop.

Ha ha

God gave rock and roll to you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
[Post edited 26 Jan 2016 0:14]

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 00:22 - Jan 26 with 2832 viewsWilloW4

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 00:13 - Jan 26 by ted_hendrix

Sam Phillips eh?
Long time ago I done my first Mississippi road trip and of course ended up in Sun Studios in Memphis so you'll appreciate I took on board all the required Knowledge about Sam Phillips.
A few years later I went back with my youngest son who's a bit of an Elvis nut so we done from New Orleans to Memphis so visited Sun Studios again only this time doing the tour,
Just standing in the studio where all those famous artists stood Years ago was bliss, everything is left just how it was when the place was shut down, all the recording gear just left there.
I've got a Sun Studio CD that i bought that has original recordings on it, I got the picture of me sat outside that most famous of recording studios looking like a daft kid let loose in a sweet shop.

Ha ha

God gave rock and roll to you,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,
[Post edited 26 Jan 2016 0:14]

Bless ya ted... I've done the same at sun studios.. I'm a massive Johnny cash fan. I waited 30 years but finally made it to Memphis.. You could 'feel' every record made there. It's a tiny, but very special place (er, like loftus road)... Drinking on Beale street etc ..marvellous. .!!!
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 00:22 - Jan 26 with 2831 viewsBrightonhoop

Some are to be avoided completely, Hugh Cornwells 'eggs for breakfast' illusrtates, utter durge that does the music a disservice.

Wellers are good, 24 hour types are better, Grettons observance of City Utd drinking the night before and hiding in dustbins to avoid a kickin are very real. And fun to read.

Zappa said reading about music is like dancing to architecture. He might have been onto something.
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 00:37 - Jan 26 with 2821 viewsWilloW4

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 00:22 - Jan 26 by Brightonhoop

Some are to be avoided completely, Hugh Cornwells 'eggs for breakfast' illusrtates, utter durge that does the music a disservice.

Wellers are good, 24 hour types are better, Grettons observance of City Utd drinking the night before and hiding in dustbins to avoid a kickin are very real. And fun to read.

Zappa said reading about music is like dancing to architecture. He might have been onto something.

My brother uses that Zappa quote, and I get his / your point but knock yourself out and read( beg , borrow steal) some of the aforementioned books, cos they're great!! Hope all is going well with your dogs mate.
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 01:28 - Jan 26 with 2807 viewsBrightonhoop

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 00:37 - Jan 26 by WilloW4

My brother uses that Zappa quote, and I get his / your point but knock yourself out and read( beg , borrow steal) some of the aforementioned books, cos they're great!! Hope all is going well with your dogs mate.

I will take a re look, there may be gems there i've missed.

A fellow rescuer passed away yesterday, left 53 dogs and it kinda fcks me off none are spayed or nutured, no food, care, fck all. Love him to bits and big respect etc but ffs. 53 dogs needing food and care whilst ure dead? Aspects of rescue fck me off big time.

Tryto limit things to half a dozen at a time then get pups dumped on my door step, what do you do? Dead with 53 to feed is not the way to go ffs, but hey we cant speak ill of those gone.

Cheers Willow, bit lost but do what we can, had a proper row over a hunting dog I took in abandoned because it was a useless hunter, left in the mountains to die a slow death, fcking sick. Owner claimed him weeks later, turned up with police et al and kicked him right up the bollix, kangaroo court there and then police kicked him up the bollix too. lol

Ran into a goat herd walking mine over new year and Jago went mental at the protection dog. They sent out the big dogs, Jago just destroyed them, he's priceless. More Belgian Shep than German, jumps vertically like a Harrier with no fear, one hell of a dog. haha Rocky has a screw loose and goes after dogs 3 times his size completely fearless. I could not have taken in two more loyal fellas. And they stand back and allow me to take in other rescues. Best dogs I ever owned beyond mere words.

Talking shyte now but thanks, will check out them books, peace.
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 01:35 - Jan 26 with 2801 viewsWilloW4

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 01:28 - Jan 26 by Brightonhoop

I will take a re look, there may be gems there i've missed.

A fellow rescuer passed away yesterday, left 53 dogs and it kinda fcks me off none are spayed or nutured, no food, care, fck all. Love him to bits and big respect etc but ffs. 53 dogs needing food and care whilst ure dead? Aspects of rescue fck me off big time.

Tryto limit things to half a dozen at a time then get pups dumped on my door step, what do you do? Dead with 53 to feed is not the way to go ffs, but hey we cant speak ill of those gone.

Cheers Willow, bit lost but do what we can, had a proper row over a hunting dog I took in abandoned because it was a useless hunter, left in the mountains to die a slow death, fcking sick. Owner claimed him weeks later, turned up with police et al and kicked him right up the bollix, kangaroo court there and then police kicked him up the bollix too. lol

Ran into a goat herd walking mine over new year and Jago went mental at the protection dog. They sent out the big dogs, Jago just destroyed them, he's priceless. More Belgian Shep than German, jumps vertically like a Harrier with no fear, one hell of a dog. haha Rocky has a screw loose and goes after dogs 3 times his size completely fearless. I could not have taken in two more loyal fellas. And they stand back and allow me to take in other rescues. Best dogs I ever owned beyond mere words.

Talking shyte now but thanks, will check out them books, peace.

Not talking shite at all mate. Sent a pm. Cheers.
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 01:49 - Jan 26 with 2787 viewsBrightonhoop

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 01:35 - Jan 26 by WilloW4

Not talking shite at all mate. Sent a pm. Cheers.

Cheers Willow, got the pm thank you.
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 06:52 - Jan 26 with 2740 viewslondonscottish

The only book I can remember reading about music is Sex and Drugs and Rock and Roll - loved Ian Dury's music and was fascinated to read about his life.

Poll: Do you love or hate the new Marmite ad?

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 07:58 - Jan 26 with 2705 viewsElHoop

If I buy a really good book I tend to give it away and then when I want to read it again I usually refuse to rebuy it and it seems cheap to ask for the original back from whoever you gave it to in the first place. So this is a bit of an annoying subject.

Revolution in the Head is the best Beatles book for me - such a great bog dipper. I actually bought another one. I've read that Wenner book too - it's decent. You Never Give Me Your Money is another great Beatles read but i don't have that any more. There's that huge Tune In book - which is only volume 1 of their story - that's really good if you want chapter and verse. I love all those old stories such as when they were signing up Epstein as manager: 'In a meeting with the group at NEMS on 3 December 1961, Epstein proposed the idea of managing the Beatles. John Lennon, Harrison and Pete Best arrived late for the meeting, as they had been drinking at the Grapes pub in Mathew Street, but McCartney did not arrive on time, because, as Harrison explained, he had just got up and was "taking a bath". Epstein was upset, but Harrison placated him by saying, "He may be late, but he'll be very clean." '

Passion is a Fashion is a great Clash book - really well researched and written. There was another one I had with loads of photos but i gave that away - that was brilliant too.

I liked Keef's book.
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 08:47 - Jan 26 with 2672 viewsMrSheen

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 00:05 - Jan 26 by queensparker

The Motley Crue book was astonishing. I couldn't name a single song of theirs, but it doesn't matter.
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 09:15 - Jan 26 with 2647 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Ozzy's 'Autobiography' written with that author made me cry with laughter 4 times.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 09:17 - Jan 26 with 2645 viewsMonahoop

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 00:11 - Jan 26 by WilloW4

Nice mention for mick farren, and Ian Mclagans 'all the rage'.. Good one , well said queensparker.!👍👍.

WilloW.
Just finished reading Lee Brilleaux, Rock and Roll Gentleman last night. An excellent read as are most writings by Zoe Howe [ wife of Wilko Johnson's drummer, Dylan Howe]. The Wilko years with Dr Feelgood are well documented, what isn't so well known is what happened to the band after Wilko's departure in 1977. It was interesting to read about the band in the late 70's and throughout the 80's, by then unfasionable, but still relentless and dogged touring wise, this probably contributing to Brilleaux's demise in the end. While we are on about Dr Feelgood, check out Down By The Jetty, The Dr Feelgood Story by Tony Moon or Wilko Johnson's Looking Back At Me, by Zoe Howe. Incidentally, there is a new book coming out in May about Wilko Johnson called Don't You Leave Me Here! Can't wait. I've got my order in.
I'm now about to read a book about another of my music heroes, Otis Redding. Dreams to Remember. Otis Redding, Stax Records and the Transformation of Southern Soul by Mark Ribowsky.

I love reading books about musicians and bands. I have so many.
Some of my recommendations are:-
Escaping the Delta. Robert Johnson and the Invention of the Blues.
Rory Gallagher. His Life and Times.
Ian Dury. The Definitive Biography.
Hallo Sausages. The Lyrics of Ian Dury.
Stone Alone. Bill Wyman.
Life. Keith Richards.
Jools Holland. Bare Faced Lies and Boogie Woogie Boasts.
Americana. Ray Davis
Cowboys and Indies. The Epic History of the Record Industry by Gareth Murphy.

That's all for now.

There aint half been some clever bastards.

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 09:57 - Jan 26 with 2622 viewsPeterHucker

Passion is a Fashion is great but my favourite Clash book is Johnny Green's A Riot of our own.

The Costello book that came out last year is astoundingly good but it's long and detailed so probably only for Costello fans.

other ones I really like....

Here Comes Everybody by James Fearnley (The Pogues)
Unknown Pleasures by Peter Hook (Joy Division)
Lost in Music by Giles Smith (Cleaners from Venus and various other obscure bands)
Harmony in My Head by Steve Diggle (Buzzcocks)
That Close by Suggs (Madness)
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 10:09 - Jan 26 with 2607 viewsPeterHucker

another one that I really liked and is very entertaining, I Formed a Band by Eddie Argos from shouty indie band Art Brut.
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 10:57 - Jan 26 with 2578 viewsqueensparker

Two more I thought of: Shane McGowan's biography written by his wife Victoria is amazing, underneath the teeth and the whisky he's a really smart and interesting bloke.

And another surprise was Freaky Dancing about Bez from the Happy Mondays, I think that was written by his missus as well.
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 11:35 - Jan 26 with 2554 viewsToast_R

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 09:15 - Jan 26 by Metallica_Hoop

Ozzy's 'Autobiography' written with that author made me cry with laughter 4 times.

Agreed. The opening paragraph about what his dad tells him when he was a boy was brilliant.

A very good read I can recommend is Hellbent for Leather, confessions of a heavy metal addict, by Seb Hunter.
Great rock n roll books recommend . on 12:12 - Jan 26 with 2537 viewsMrSheen

Great rock n roll books recommend . on 21:55 - Jan 25 by jamois

Hellfire - Nick Tosches

Nick Tosches wrote a really interesting book about Sonny Liston. He makes it clear that he thinks Ali beat Liston on the orders of the mob, and that Ali was as compromised as Liston.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024