Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Westminster Council and Diesel 16:25 - Jan 30 with 8426 viewsexiled_dictator

Westminster City Council will become the first UK authority to penalise diesel drivers with more expensive parking prices.

The Greater London borough will charge diesel cars 4p per minute more, which equates to £2.40 an hour and is 50% higher than the cost of parking a petrol-engined car, to park within its boundaries in a pilot scheme that starts on 3 April.

The change is designed to deter diesel drivers from entering the Westminster area in a bid to reduce diesel-related pollution. The council said the area of Marylebone suffers some of the highest pollution levels in London, so it is enforcing a ‘polluter pays’ principle to fight the problem.

http://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/industry/westminster-council-charge-diesel-dri

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok, this affects me directly.
i drive a diesel, and i enter and park in westminster quite frequently.
i need a big car that can safely and comfortably transport more than 3 kids, as well as be used as a work vehicle, so a ford focus will not suffice.
and the difference between a petrol and a diesel version is 14mpg as per the manufacturer itself. so it was a no brainer that i bought a diesel version, and now i'm perceived as the bad guy killing all sorts of living things just by driving the diesel car.
it simply doesn't make sense to drive a big petrol engined car - i has a 4.4 litre petrol version years ago, and never saw more than 20mpg.
so what am i supposed to do now?
the extra money per se is not a major issue, but being perceived as some kind of monster for owning and driving a diesel just narks me.

It's not what you've got; it's where you stick it.
Poll: Climate Change

Westminster Council and Diesel on 16:08 - Feb 1 with 1545 viewsTacticalR

'Waking up at six a.m. on a cool warm morning
Opening the windows and breathing in petrol'

The Jam, That's Entertainment

Air hostess clique

Westminster Council and Diesel on 16:41 - Feb 1 with 1514 viewsJuzzie

[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 16:41]
Westminster Council and Diesel on 16:41 - Feb 1 with 1511 viewsJuzzie

[Post edited 1 Feb 2017 16:42]
Westminster Council and Diesel on 16:42 - Feb 1 with 1497 viewsJuzzie

Westminster Council and Diesel on 14:38 - Feb 1 by Konk

I agree about the affordability issue, but I'm not sure how you could means test it, and if it sees any sort of reduction in traffic, and if revenue from the charge is invested in public transport or cycling infrastructure, then I'm okay with that. What would you suggest as an alternative given that surely everyone acknowledges that there's too much traffic and pollution in London?

if the revenue goes into sorting out the problem then that's a great step forward but I just can't see it. It'll disappear into a black hole.

When I lived in Camden, I had to pay a surcharge (to do with the emissions banding) on my parking bay because I had a diesel car. "Will the extra money be invested into ecological projects?" I asked. "no, it goes into a central pot to be distributed as seen fit".

Well, that was pointless then. clearly Just an opportunity to raise revenue, no guarantee ecological projects would benefit.

For me there are way too many taxis (inc. black cabs, minicabs, MPV's etc) and Uber has massively increased this in just a few years.
Every day coming in on the A4 between Hogarth Roundabout and into town it's all full of single occupancy cabs from Heathrow and you can see they are mainly business people. Are they above jumping on the tube/train/bus?

Too many lorries. Again, the A316 and A4 is full of them. Yes, they're needed for construction but there are just way too many.

Easier said than done but I'd ban taxi's and lorries on the main arteries during commuting times. Then, that means more people on public transport and that's creaking as it is.

In a nutshell, London is simply too full.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024