Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Electric cars 11:03 - May 9 with 388 viewscontroversial_jack

Demand for these seems to be faltering. Maybe not the answer many thought they would be. A lack of range, not enough charging points, expensive, maybe a combination of all these
Electric cars on 20:44 - May 10 with 263 viewsmajorraglan

My mate recently took delivery of a Tesla, he’s pleased with the performance and reckons he gets around 280 miles off a charge up. He charges it overnight at his home on cheap electric (7p per kWh) and reckons it costs him about £6 to charge from flat to full. In terms of the range, 280 is more than enough for him and he reckons if he needs a top up the super fast Tesla charges at the motorway service stations are excellent. The one thing he’s not happy about is the cost of insurance, he reckons it’s £1k and 4 x times last years premium, that said he used to drive a banger.

I’m not convinced about electric cars, but it’s something I’m going to keep an open mind on.
Electric cars on 10:23 - May 11 with 211 viewscontroversial_jack

Electric cars on 20:44 - May 10 by majorraglan

My mate recently took delivery of a Tesla, he’s pleased with the performance and reckons he gets around 280 miles off a charge up. He charges it overnight at his home on cheap electric (7p per kWh) and reckons it costs him about £6 to charge from flat to full. In terms of the range, 280 is more than enough for him and he reckons if he needs a top up the super fast Tesla charges at the motorway service stations are excellent. The one thing he’s not happy about is the cost of insurance, he reckons it’s £1k and 4 x times last years premium, that said he used to drive a banger.

I’m not convinced about electric cars, but it’s something I’m going to keep an open mind on.

That 280 miles would be on a good day with probably just him driving. Throw in a/c, a heater and full lights on dark winters evening and he will be lucky to get half of that. It wouldn't even get him to London.
Electric cars on 10:56 - May 11 with 206 viewsSullutaCreturned

Electric cars on 10:23 - May 11 by controversial_jack

That 280 miles would be on a good day with probably just him driving. Throw in a/c, a heater and full lights on dark winters evening and he will be lucky to get half of that. It wouldn't even get him to London.

I think you're right. Turn on heaters and lights and it affects the range. On a cold day the range will be lower at fully charged and drops more quickly while driving. The promised ranges are the same as petrol cars, taken from being used in pefect circumstances and not a true reflection f everyday use.

The electric vans we use in work, on the cold days last winter we were lucky to get half the promised mileage. And then if driven on the motorways and at top speed the range dropped even more quickly.

If you only need 50-60 miles per day and can charge overnight then you're fine. For heavier vehicles, working vehicles that do longer hauls every day they're not so great.

My nephew has a Tesla which he can charge for free at work. He does about 300 miles per week and it's all good because its fully charged come home time.
Electric cars on 11:06 - May 11 with 205 viewspencoedjack

Bought a hybrid last year.

Mainly run on electric would recommend to anyone thinking about it. 👍
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024