Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Southgate’s replacement. 10:33 - May 20 with 8381 viewsSnipper

With Southgate more than likely going after this summers Euro’s, who do you think will replace him, or who would you like?

Personally, I think the FA should beak the bank and go for Pep Guardiola. I honestly think that if he’d have been in charge for the last two tournaments, England would already be European and World champions.
Southgate’s replacement. on 12:11 - May 20 with 3335 viewsQPRConor2000

I actually think Guardiola is exactly the right fit for the role and I actually think its more realistic than we realise.

Also he wont manage Spain because he supports Catalan Independence.

Also from an emotional point of view, I saw a picture of him as a ball-boy when Terry Venables was at Barcelona, so he will have that in his mind too.

I dont get the notion that the England manager always has to be English, If we want to get to the next level, then there simply isnt a quality manager out there whos English imo.
Southgate’s replacement. on 12:21 - May 20 with 3276 viewsBAWHoops

There isn't a world where Pep manages England! He wouldn't want to switch to international football which is a different ball game altogether.
England went down that road with Sven and Capello and it didn't work.

SOuthgate has revolutionised the national team by taking a holistic approach and working out what you need to do to go deep in a tournament. If he goes they'll look to bring in Potter, Cooper, Howe or maybe Lee Carsley

http://blogandwhitehoops.wordpress.com/

Southgate’s replacement. on 12:25 - May 20 with 3245 viewsTheChef

Southgate’s replacement. on 12:21 - May 20 by BAWHoops

There isn't a world where Pep manages England! He wouldn't want to switch to international football which is a different ball game altogether.

SOuthgate has revolutionised the national team by taking a holistic approach and working out what you need to do to go deep in a tournament. If he goes they'll look to bring in Potter, Cooper, Howe or maybe Lee Carsley

Yeah can't see him moving to international football.

Apparently he's not sure what his challenge is next season. How about managing a National League team with fck all finances and see how good a manager you are there?

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Southgate’s replacement. on 12:42 - May 20 with 3157 viewsToast_R

Have the FA might have moved on from the days of throwing big money at the current top manager. Not saying Pep couldnt do it obviously because his Man City team clicks every year and there doesn't appear to be any over indulged superstars with huge egos.

Graham Potter probably more likely.
Southgate’s replacement. on 13:44 - May 20 with 3000 viewsQPRConor2000

Southgate’s replacement. on 12:25 - May 20 by TheChef

Apparently he's not sure what his challenge is next season. How about managing a National League team with fck all finances and see how good a manager you are there?

He has actually hinted in the past that he would love to manage an international side.

Also hes won pretty much everything trophy-wise at club level and managed in Spain, Germany and England.

Also his contract with Man City finishes in 2025 and he said on sky yesterday hes more likely to leave than stay.

Read into that what you will.
[Post edited 20 May 13:46]
Southgate’s replacement. on 13:50 - May 20 with 2977 viewsslmrstid

Southgate cops a lot of unnecessary stick and IMO its going to be a classic case of "you don't know what you've got til its gone"

Time will tell.
Southgate’s replacement. on 13:57 - May 20 with 2919 viewsloftupper

Southgate’s replacement. on 12:25 - May 20 by TheChef

Is the suggestion here that the managers are better in the National League? not sure I really follow the logic. I would imagine he would do ok but would be limited by what the players were capable of.
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:15 - May 20 with 2848 viewsTheChef

Southgate’s replacement. on 13:57 - May 20 by loftupper

Is the suggestion here that the managers are better in the National League? not sure I really follow the logic. I would imagine he would do ok but would be limited by what the players were capable of.

Er yes well coaching the best most expensive players in the world should be relatively easy - I'd be interested to see how he gets on when that level of talent and finance is not available to him.

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

Login to get fewer ads

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:22 - May 20 with 2810 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Isn't it pretty much Eddie Howe's to lose, and Newcastle's decline being blamed on that fact?
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:23 - May 20 with 2808 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

On Guardiola, he plays exactly like Southgate does so surprised to see his critics ask for him.
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:31 - May 20 with 2762 viewsMalintabuk

Think there will only be one place Pep will go and that will be Barcelona..... can't see him wanting England as it is real poison chalice .....
Think England will replace from within the organisation....
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:50 - May 20 with 2705 viewsSnipper

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:31 - May 20 by Malintabuk

Think there will only be one place Pep will go and that will be Barcelona..... can't see him wanting England as it is real poison chalice .....

It’s the challenge of world football though. If Pep Guardiola came in and won the World Cup, his reputation couldn’t go any higher.

The players are there for him to win it.
Southgate’s replacement. on 14:54 - May 20 with 2675 viewsAntti_Heinola

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if he didn't move into international management - eventually. For someone like him, what else is left? He played for Spain, so can't see any reason why he wouldn't manage them. I think he did say once that he'd like to try managing in south America, could see him going to manage Boca Juniors or something, and then having a crack at a world cup before retiring. I can't believe he wouldn't want to try that.

People are very down on Sven but the truth is we improved immeasurably under him compared to previous years. hoddle still gets lionised for being knocked out in round 2, Sven always went further but is demonised.

Howe would seem a likely candidate if he'd take it, same as Potter. Don't think Carsley wants that kind of pressure and to have no name at all in the game to speak of, after 2 defeats people would go nuts. Cooper hasn't done nearly enough.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:55 - May 20 with 2669 viewsGaryBannister86

Steve Cooper would be perfect. He's been practicing at Forest for years choosing from a pool of thousands of players.

The only issue will be when someone tells him its only English players he can call up, not anyone from anywhere in the entire world.

Think he would prefer the Welsh job, somehow, though.
Southgate’s replacement. on 15:01 - May 20 with 2630 viewsQPRConor2000

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:54 - May 20 by Antti_Heinola

I would be absolutely gobsmacked if he didn't move into international management - eventually. For someone like him, what else is left? He played for Spain, so can't see any reason why he wouldn't manage them. I think he did say once that he'd like to try managing in south America, could see him going to manage Boca Juniors or something, and then having a crack at a world cup before retiring. I can't believe he wouldn't want to try that.

People are very down on Sven but the truth is we improved immeasurably under him compared to previous years. hoddle still gets lionised for being knocked out in round 2, Sven always went further but is demonised.

Howe would seem a likely candidate if he'd take it, same as Potter. Don't think Carsley wants that kind of pressure and to have no name at all in the game to speak of, after 2 defeats people would go nuts. Cooper hasn't done nearly enough.

He won't manage Spain cause of his political views of Catalan Independence.
Southgate’s replacement. on 15:03 - May 20 with 2609 viewsAntti_Heinola

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:31 - May 20 by Malintabuk

It's not a poisoned chalice these days is it? We have a wonderful squad. Almost any manager on earth would love to manage that team.

Bare bones.

Southgate’s replacement. on 15:09 - May 20 with 2546 viewsBazzaInTheLoft

Southgate’s replacement. on 15:03 - May 20 by Antti_Heinola

It's not a poisoned chalice these days is it? We have a wonderful squad. Almost any manager on earth would love to manage that team.

Have you read this forum / the media / the internet 😆
Southgate’s replacement. on 15:11 - May 20 with 2545 viewsGaryBannister86

Southgate’s replacement. on 15:03 - May 20 by Antti_Heinola

Now that's very true.

Give it to Ainsworth, he's got nothing on and would be cheap for the FA.

"Just a privilege to be in the same group as Slovenia"

"Someone always loses 4-0 in the first group game and I hope it isn't us"

"Foden, Bellingham, Saka have all been dropped as they didn't buy into my Haka exercise. I can always tell who wants to be with me. So I am building the team around Hendo."

"I've beefed up our long throw planning as that will be crucial. One of them may reach the six yard box and that could make all the difference."

Mind you, the FA gave the job to Allardyce so perhaps I should not jest too much.
Southgate’s replacement. on 15:20 - May 20 with 2483 viewsstevec

Klopp?

The scousers have always been a bit funny about England, think they like to think they might be more Irish or Apache or something, never been able to work it out, plus I don’t care.

Anyway, rather than leave that lot for England, a clean break and ‘thinking time’ would be the sensible PR way out of trouble and avoid any unwanted Stevie G shenanigans.

We’ll see.
Southgate’s replacement. on 15:22 - May 20 with 2472 viewskensalriser

What are the differences between the ways that it didn't work with Sven and Capello and the ways it didn't work with all the English managers that preceded them? Are there any? They all failed, I'm not sure nationality has anything to do with it,

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Southgate’s replacement. on 15:26 - May 20 with 2412 viewsaston_hoop

Pep would be amazing but feels a real long shot. I personally would be happy with Potter, reckon it'll be Howe though. Newcastle will be itching under their current ownership to hire a 'big name' and Howe would fit right in to England. Plus he has worked for many years with Steve Cook, you know it makes sense Eddie. New England captain right there.

Poll: Moses Odubajo - Stick or Twist?

Southgate’s replacement. on 15:52 - May 20 with 2322 viewsEsox_Lucius

How are candleface's knees these days?

The grass is always greener.

Southgate’s replacement. on 15:52 - May 20 with 2318 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:15 - May 20 by TheChef

Er yes well coaching the best most expensive players in the world should be relatively easy - I'd be interested to see how he gets on when that level of talent and finance is not available to him.

Managing those egos, keeping multi millionaires motivated and creating a style they enjoy playing that also wins games is far from easy

Of course he may well struggle with a league 2 side but I'd imagine most league 2 managers would struggle managing man City or Barcelona
International football is also very different, many great club managers have struggled with it, the best managers at international level have also usually done very little in club football bar a few exceptions

No doubt England should win more with Pep in charge but it should be said he's not perfect, has lost a lot of knockout games due to mistakes he's made and he's a fiercely passionate Spaniard who will more than likely rather manage that Spain team than England

if Southgate goes this summer I'd give the job to Eddie Howe
Southgate’s replacement. on 16:44 - May 20 with 2141 viewspaulparker

Southgate’s replacement. on 14:50 - May 20 by Snipper

It’s the challenge of world football though. If Pep Guardiola came in and won the World Cup, his reputation couldn’t go any higher.

The players are there for him to win it.

England are not going to win the next World Cup certainly not if it’s the US and Mexico in the height of summer it doesn’t matter who manages them, our best chance is this Euros but as soon as we come against a Spain or a France we are out as Southgate doesn’t have the belief or the tactical nous

And Bowles is onside, Swinburne has come rushing out of his goal , what can Bowles do here , onto the left foot no, on to the right foot That’s there that’s two, and that’s Bowles Brian Moore

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:49 - May 20 with 2135 viewsdaveB

Southgate’s replacement. on 16:44 - May 20 by paulparker

England are not going to win the next World Cup certainly not if it’s the US and Mexico in the height of summer it doesn’t matter who manages them, our best chance is this Euros but as soon as we come against a Spain or a France we are out as Southgate doesn’t have the belief or the tactical nous

he doesn't have the players either imo
We could win it but so could Germany, France, Spain and Portugal.

We've got no left back, 2 first choice centre halves not playing regular and a puzzle for where to fit in Foden whilst still having protection for the back 4 in midfield
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024