Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Discrimination ? 15:23 - Apr 12 with 1454 viewsKeithHaynes

I don’t get this, anyone point me in the right direction ?

https://www.bbc.com/sport/football/68787596

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Discrimination ? on 16:46 - Apr 12 with 1386 viewsYrAlarch

It's all a bit bewildering for someone of my generation.
Perhaps he should be reported to Police Scotland. The Scottish Government obviously think they have not got enough to do.
Discrimination ? on 16:53 - Apr 12 with 1370 viewsonehunglow

I will leave you with the sister Keith
No need to thank me

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Discrimination ? on 17:13 - Apr 12 with 1366 viewsFlashberryjack

Pleased to see that it's not just the UK that's gone bonkers.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

Discrimination ? on 17:16 - Apr 12 with 1356 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination ? on 17:13 - Apr 12 by Flashberryjack

Pleased to see that it's not just the UK that's gone bonkers.

Invariably it is countries that were former colonialists
It is simple reparation and guilt

Discrimination ? on 17:18 - Apr 12 with 1361 viewsKeithHaynes

I’m still struggling to see the link between his traffic lights statement and discrimination.
Anyone ?

Discrimination ? on 17:29 - Apr 12 with 1340 viewsWhiterockin

Discrimination ? on 17:18 - Apr 12 by KeithHaynes

I’m still struggling to see the link between his traffic lights statement and discrimination.
Anyone ?

Are the traffic light performers considered to be immigrants and of a specific race and to be called one is degrading???
Discrimination ? on 17:34 - Apr 12 with 1320 viewsTenbySwan

Discrimination ? on 17:29 - Apr 12 by Whiterockin

Are the traffic light performers considered to be immigrants and of a specific race and to be called one is degrading???

MAGAZINE  THE WEEK TVSUBSCRIBE

HOME INDIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT REVIEWS SCI/TECH HEALTH VIDEOS LEISURE MORE 

Home  News  Sports

'Traffic light' remark against Barca's Lamine Yamal: Spanish TV station fires pundit

German Burgos offered an open apology on social media

PTI Updated: April 11, 2024 19:46 IST

Barcelona's Lamine Yamal | AP

Spanish TV station Movistar Plus+ have fired analyst German Burgos after Barcelona and Paris St Germain refused to give interviews to the network following a comment about Barca's Lamine Yamal ahead of Wednesday's Champions League match. 

Movistar Plus+ earlier on Thursday apologised to winger Yamal after Burgos, a former Argentina goalkeeper and assistant manager at Atletico Madrid, said "if (professional football) doesn't go well for him, he could end up at a traffic light." The comment, which has been interpreted as a reference to people who stand at traffic lights asking drivers for money, sparked outrage and led to both teams refusing to give interviews to the Spanish rights holder after the match.The remark by Burgos was made as 16-year-old Spanish international Yamal, who was born in Spain to Moroccan and Equatorial Guinean parents, did kick-ups during the warm-up and the programme host praised the teenager's skills.

After Barcelona's 3-2 win in the quarter-final, first leg in Paris, on-field reporter Ricardo Sierra told viewers UEFA, Barca and PSG were "extremely angry" with Burgos's remark and had said no members of either team would speak to the network in protest. Burgos then apologised saying that "sometimes humour gets you into trouble" and the 54-year-old later posted a more extensive apology on his social media stressing his "intention was not to denigrate Lamine Yamal, quite the contrary."

Movistar Plus+ on Thursday said they would take "appropriate measures to ensure that such events do not recur" before issuing another statement saying they would "immediately cease their collaboration agreement" with Burgos and warn the programme's presenters. "Movistar Plus+ condemns any kind of discrimination and will not allow this type of comment from any of the employees or collaborators linked to the platform," the TV broadcaster said.

Yamal has become an important part of the Barca and Spain forward line, breaking several records at a young age. Last year he became Barcelona's youngest debutant in an official match and Spain's youngest international and goalscorer, among other records. On Wednesday he also became the youngest player to appear in a Champions League quarter-final.

Burgos' remarks will further fuel the debate swirling around racism in Spanish football, with 16 incidents of racist abuse against Real Madrid's Brazil winger Vinicius Jr reported to Spanish prosecutors by LaLiga in the last two seasons.
Discrimination ? on 17:46 - Apr 12 with 1294 viewsSullutaCreturned

The world has been bonkers for ages. I saw this and took his comment as praise for his skills with the ball and meant as a jokey comment.

We are not allowed a bit of fun anymore, anything remotely funny, or meant as fun is to be stamped on as clearly discriminatory.

The world can F off. There is real discrimination out there; real racism is happening every day and not just white on black either. There'll be no puntits or commentators soon and chanting at matches will be outlawed because it causes offence, no matter what is sung. 1 nil to the jack army is obvious discrimination against the losing team.

It's Bolleaux.
Login to get fewer ads

Discrimination ? on 17:54 - Apr 12 with 1257 viewsonehunglow

Discrimination ? on 17:46 - Apr 12 by SullutaCreturned

The world has been bonkers for ages. I saw this and took his comment as praise for his skills with the ball and meant as a jokey comment.

We are not allowed a bit of fun anymore, anything remotely funny, or meant as fun is to be stamped on as clearly discriminatory.

The world can F off. There is real discrimination out there; real racism is happening every day and not just white on black either. There'll be no puntits or commentators soon and chanting at matches will be outlawed because it causes offence, no matter what is sung. 1 nil to the jack army is obvious discrimination against the losing team.

It's Bolleaux.

Fun. That’s dangerous
It’s like the ludicrous “ free speech” mantra

Discrimination ? on 17:58 - Apr 12 with 1253 viewsKeithHaynes

Discrimination ? on 17:34 - Apr 12 by TenbySwan

MAGAZINE  THE WEEK TVSUBSCRIBE

HOME INDIA WORLD BUSINESS SPORTS ENTERTAINMENT REVIEWS SCI/TECH HEALTH VIDEOS LEISURE MORE 

Home  News  Sports

'Traffic light' remark against Barca's Lamine Yamal: Spanish TV station fires pundit

German Burgos offered an open apology on social media

PTI Updated: April 11, 2024 19:46 IST

Barcelona's Lamine Yamal | AP

Spanish TV station Movistar Plus+ have fired analyst German Burgos after Barcelona and Paris St Germain refused to give interviews to the network following a comment about Barca's Lamine Yamal ahead of Wednesday's Champions League match. 

Movistar Plus+ earlier on Thursday apologised to winger Yamal after Burgos, a former Argentina goalkeeper and assistant manager at Atletico Madrid, said "if (professional football) doesn't go well for him, he could end up at a traffic light." The comment, which has been interpreted as a reference to people who stand at traffic lights asking drivers for money, sparked outrage and led to both teams refusing to give interviews to the Spanish rights holder after the match.The remark by Burgos was made as 16-year-old Spanish international Yamal, who was born in Spain to Moroccan and Equatorial Guinean parents, did kick-ups during the warm-up and the programme host praised the teenager's skills.

After Barcelona's 3-2 win in the quarter-final, first leg in Paris, on-field reporter Ricardo Sierra told viewers UEFA, Barca and PSG were "extremely angry" with Burgos's remark and had said no members of either team would speak to the network in protest. Burgos then apologised saying that "sometimes humour gets you into trouble" and the 54-year-old later posted a more extensive apology on his social media stressing his "intention was not to denigrate Lamine Yamal, quite the contrary."

Movistar Plus+ on Thursday said they would take "appropriate measures to ensure that such events do not recur" before issuing another statement saying they would "immediately cease their collaboration agreement" with Burgos and warn the programme's presenters. "Movistar Plus+ condemns any kind of discrimination and will not allow this type of comment from any of the employees or collaborators linked to the platform," the TV broadcaster said.

Yamal has become an important part of the Barca and Spain forward line, breaking several records at a young age. Last year he became Barcelona's youngest debutant in an official match and Spain's youngest international and goalscorer, among other records. On Wednesday he also became the youngest player to appear in a Champions League quarter-final.

Burgos' remarks will further fuel the debate swirling around racism in Spanish football, with 16 incidents of racist abuse against Real Madrid's Brazil winger Vinicius Jr reported to Spanish prosecutors by LaLiga in the last two seasons.

🤷🏻‍♂️ discrimination ?

Discrimination ? on 19:01 - Apr 12 with 1195 viewsAnotherJohn

I get the sense of cultural change accelerating and often not in a good way. There was a time when it was quite common to hear some variant of: "If you don't pull your finger out you'll end up on the dole". I may have said something similar to my younger brother when as a student he lay in bed until lunchtime, It seems that something like that cannot be said now because it will cause excessive hurt to the recipient.
Discrimination ? on 19:22 - Apr 12 with 1159 viewsdobjack2

I assume that it's on the lines of if he doesn't play well he won't make it as a footballer and end up hustling car drivers to wash their windscreens (or similar) when they are stuck at traffic lights. The suggestion is that this is what immigrants do.

It's not a nice comment that only had relevance to the players background and had nothing to do with the game.
Discrimination ? on 19:25 - Apr 12 with 1140 viewsKeithHaynes

Discrimination ? on 19:22 - Apr 12 by dobjack2

I assume that it's on the lines of if he doesn't play well he won't make it as a footballer and end up hustling car drivers to wash their windscreens (or similar) when they are stuck at traffic lights. The suggestion is that this is what immigrants do.

It's not a nice comment that only had relevance to the players background and had nothing to do with the game.

I’m still not getting that. It was a comment as to the distance he was jumping upwards ?

Discrimination ? on 19:33 - Apr 12 with 1098 viewsJust_Dave

I really don't understand the problem here, am I missing something? There are far bigger problems regarding discrimination out there. I'm lucky enough to have a beautiful black wife and mixed race daughter so I've seen first hand discrimination and worse far too often but as I say, don't see the issue here.
Discrimination ? on 19:34 - Apr 12 with 1090 viewsBoundy

Discrimination ? on 19:22 - Apr 12 by dobjack2

He s doesn't look Romanian ort Bulgarian so what's the fuss , all about >I'm not sure what's the link between the players' background with some scrot with a bucket of drain water and plastic squeegee at the lights in Chiswick

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Discrimination ? on 20:20 - Apr 12 with 1014 viewsdobjack2

Discrimination ? on 19:34 - Apr 12 by Boundy

He s doesn't look Romanian ort Bulgarian so what's the fuss , all about >I'm not sure what's the link between the players' background with some scrot with a bucket of drain water and plastic squeegee at the lights in Chiswick

I think it happens in places other than London and that the windscreen cleaners are different nationalities.
Discrimination ? on 20:22 - Apr 12 with 1013 viewsdobjack2

Discrimination ? on 19:25 - Apr 12 by KeithHaynes

I’m still not getting that. It was a comment as to the distance he was jumping upwards ?

I don't think that's how the PSG and Barcelona players saw it.
Discrimination ? on 21:05 - Apr 12 with 953 viewsBoundy

Discrimination ? on 20:22 - Apr 12 by dobjack2

Its all about interpretation , who's to say theirs is the correct assumption

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Discrimination ? on 01:57 - Apr 13 with 846 viewsKeithHaynes

Discrimination ? on 20:22 - Apr 12 by dobjack2

There’s a hell of a lot of assuming with this.

Discrimination ? on 11:09 - Apr 13 with 702 viewsJoesus_Of_Narbereth

I suppose it’s a bit like saying to a female player if the football doesn’t work out at least you’ve got onlyfans. It’s quite disrespectful and not very nice.

Poll: We all dream of a managerial team of Alan Tates?

Discrimination ? on 11:42 - Apr 13 with 671 viewsunion_jack

Discrimination ? on 11:09 - Apr 13 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

I suppose it’s a bit like saying to a female player if the football doesn’t work out at least you’ve got onlyfans. It’s quite disrespectful and not very nice.

Well that depends entirely on what they look like.

Coat please!😂

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Discrimination ? on 12:46 - Apr 13 with 624 viewsKeithHaynes

Discrimination ? on 11:09 - Apr 13 by Joesus_Of_Narbereth

That isn’t very nice, I give up on the original question. It has no foundation or elements attached to it that suggest any racist connotations.

Discrimination ? on 19:54 - Apr 13 with 511 viewsReslovenSwan1

Discrimination ? on 12:46 - Apr 13 by KeithHaynes

That isn’t very nice, I give up on the original question. It has no foundation or elements attached to it that suggest any racist connotations.

There are clearly Spanish issues at work here that you more than any other poster on here should understand as a resident of Spain. I trust your judgement as the man on the spot.

What is ethnic slur and what is not confuses a lot on here to be honest. Welsh are fair game because 25% percent think it is harmless banter.

These in my opinion are probably old school middle aged football fans who 'tolerated' a lot of bad stuff 20-30 years ago. They are out of touch.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Discrimination ? on 20:08 - Apr 13 with 502 viewsdobjack2

Discrimination ? on 01:57 - Apr 13 by KeithHaynes

There’s a hell of a lot of assuming with this.

There's no assumption that the PSG and Barcelona players refused to give an interview to the Spanish TV station Movistar plus because of the remark. There is also no assumption that the pundit that made the remark was sacked for it.

The only person that knows what he intended by his remark is German Burgos. Whatever he meant by it, there is no assumption that the players of both clubs found it offensive.
Discrimination ? on 11:30 - Apr 14 with 342 viewsKeithHaynes

Discrimination ? on 20:08 - Apr 13 by dobjack2

There's no assumption that the PSG and Barcelona players refused to give an interview to the Spanish TV station Movistar plus because of the remark. There is also no assumption that the pundit that made the remark was sacked for it.

The only person that knows what he intended by his remark is German Burgos. Whatever he meant by it, there is no assumption that the players of both clubs found it offensive.

Ok, my take was the player was doing exercises where he was jumping quite high when the comment was made, as it was in numerous news outlets here. Hence the belief it wasn’t a discriminatory statement. Once the alternative version was reported there was more clarity. We have a few guys who clean windscreens here in Spain where I live. They are Bulgarian.

Now looking away from this, if that’s what he meant, and it’s black guys who primarily clean car windows, I assume the assumption is made as a a result of those who believe black guys are always cleaning car windows ? Two things going on here, one, the guy who was sacked was discriminatory in his language, agreed. And two, the assumption in peoples minds who are offended had better look a little bit in to themselves, because their assumption is clearly only black guys clean windows. That’s them leaking their own prejudice.

Either way we got there. And yes, I see the association now, would have saved a thread on it if the clarity was brought to this when he first said it.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024