Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Non QPR - Seattle travel thread 10:50 - Apr 2 with 1380 viewstoboboly

I am going to San Fran and Seattle in late May/early June and have sorted the days in San Fran out but was wondering if anyone had any good suggestions for Seattle?

Places to eat/drink and things off the beaten path?

Any help/local knowledge would be much appreciated.

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 11:01 - Apr 2 with 1366 viewsJamie

Dreadfully cliche tourist date but Pikes Market is a must do for me. With regards eating and drinking you can't move for options so just try what takes your fancy.

If you have transport, is thoroughly suggest a trip to Mount Rainier national park. Genuinely breathtaking views once there, but the drive alone is amazing. It's about 2 hours drive from Seattle but very straightforward to reach.
Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 11:29 - Apr 2 with 1349 viewsRangersDave

Starbucks first store is somewhere worth visiting if only to see how small and unassuming it is.

Stay away from the south end of town as it's rather rough within 500 yards of the city centre.
By the river is quite nice and so is the tower there.

Don't forget it's a wonderful 4 hour cheap £30 return train ride to Vancouver for a day out.
That place. Is a different class.

Cheers
Dave

WWW.northernphotography.com
Poll: Do we think Rangers wil be mathematically relegated by or on New Years day?

Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 17:14 - Apr 2 with 1313 viewstoboboly

Alas not in Seattle long enough to go to Vancouver, that will be for a different trip.

Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 17:39 - Apr 2 with 1305 viewsLythamR

Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 17:14 - Apr 2 by toboboly

Alas not in Seattle long enough to go to Vancouver, that will be for a different trip.

Look up Bainbridge Island its across the bay, short ferry ride, it was very nice and had a fantastic fish restaurant. The people were really friendly there as well much nicer than the average local round pioneer square and the market which are real tourist traps

Depending on how you are getting to Seattle from SF a stop over in Portland might be worth considering, its a lovely city. very nice people and a nice break in the journey if going by Amtrak or Car
Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 17:43 - Apr 2 with 1303 viewsBlackCrowe

Great restaurant is Matts In The Market (near aforementioned Pike St Market). Also good if you're solo as you can get a place setting up at the bar.

A must-do is going to the EMP museum if you're into your music. Superb Jimi Hendrix memorabilia room (he was from Seattle) and various rock exhibits (birth of Nirvana/grunge etc).

Not sure what kind of budget you're on, but i go on business and therefore stay at The Alexis hotel - great place, great location.

Seattle is a fking great place just to hang out in, listen to some good music and sink a few beers. The locals are very cool, kind and friendly.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 18:11 - Apr 2 with 1292 viewsthame_hoops

Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 17:43 - Apr 2 by BlackCrowe

Great restaurant is Matts In The Market (near aforementioned Pike St Market). Also good if you're solo as you can get a place setting up at the bar.

A must-do is going to the EMP museum if you're into your music. Superb Jimi Hendrix memorabilia room (he was from Seattle) and various rock exhibits (birth of Nirvana/grunge etc).

Not sure what kind of budget you're on, but i go on business and therefore stay at The Alexis hotel - great place, great location.

Seattle is a fking great place just to hang out in, listen to some good music and sink a few beers. The locals are very cool, kind and friendly.

Talking about off the beaten track places, I was in dallas and surrounds last week (miss hoops is Texan) and I've never been so scared drinking in red neck backwater bars in TX. Hillbillies everywhere, look at one funny and they want to start trouble, who knows where they keep their guns. I'm sure Seattle is different though! Have a great time, remember to take your purple and black jersey
Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 18:21 - Apr 2 with 1287 viewsted_hendrix

Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 18:11 - Apr 2 by thame_hoops

Talking about off the beaten track places, I was in dallas and surrounds last week (miss hoops is Texan) and I've never been so scared drinking in red neck backwater bars in TX. Hillbillies everywhere, look at one funny and they want to start trouble, who knows where they keep their guns. I'm sure Seattle is different though! Have a great time, remember to take your purple and black jersey

Yea well we stumbled into a bar on Sixth Street Austin Texas that was full of bastard rednecks, quickly walked out when we realised what the so called band was singing about, the rest of Sixth Street was superb if you like you're music.

Toboboly, pay my respects to Jimi when you're in Seattle please.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 20:05 - Apr 2 with 1238 viewsRanger78

Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 17:43 - Apr 2 by BlackCrowe

I agree, Seattle is one of my favourite city's! Matts is a nice restaurant

Real relaxed Bohemian vibe. The people are cool and friendly with a great music scene. I've seen a few gigs at The Show Box.

They are also mad for their sport .. The stadiums are pretty cool.

2 of my favourite restaraunts / bars were Black Bottle in Belltown, great food and cool bar, open til 2am and has a patio in the summer. The Pink Door has great food and is very different with live music and trapeze artists... Nice one if your with the missus !

As already mentioned, the national park is stunning. A flight in a sea plane from Lake Union is fun, you can also arrange trips to go Orca watching. Green Lake park is a nice place on a hot day... See the locals in action.

You'll find great views of the city from Kerry Park in Queen Anne district, especially at night

I've only ever been in and out of San Francisco but it's a great place too.

If you do ever get the chance to visit Vancouver, take it... what an incredible place !!!

Enjoy!!
[Post edited 2 Apr 2014 20:21]
Login to get fewer ads

Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 09:41 - Apr 3 with 1186 viewstoboboly

Cheers for the info guys, much appreciated!

Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 20:52 - Apr 3 with 1153 viewsOakwoodR

As I consider Seattle my 2nd city I will throw in my two penneth..

The Underground Tour is a must. It departs from a cafe in Pioneer Square which is as others stated pretty grim after dark but fine during the day.
Pike Place is very touristy these days but needs to be done and I'd recommend taking the Savour Seattle tour of the market. You get to sample lots of different foods from various stalls and cafes in the area and also get a lot of information.
Whale watching will fill a whole day up but is something to tick off on lifes bucket list. Several companies offer day trips at under 100 US.

Get yourself their version of the Oyster Card which is called an Orca Card at the airport station. If you don't have stacks of luggage it's 2.75 into the center from the airport (half hour ride) where as a cab into the center will set you back nearly 60 dollars. The public transport is pretty good in the center and the natives are friendly.

Whare are you staying out there?
Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 16:27 - Dec 15 with 963 viewseastside_r

BUMP

Just interested how many days would be good for a first time visit?
Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 16:37 - Dec 15 with 939 viewsCanadaRanger

Tour the Rickerts brewery. Very interesting, plus samples... :)
Non QPR - Seattle travel thread on 17:53 - Dec 15 with 901 viewsGloryHunter

Jimi Hendrix's house.

Boeing aicraft factory (biggest building in the world).

I ran out of time and missed both of these. Wasted time down the fish market etc - no better than any London market. I thought Seattle was small and disappointing. The Cascade mountains were fantastic - stayed in a real cowboy town called Winthrop.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024