Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
London Recommendations 09:26 - Oct 4 with 8326 viewsslmrstid

I'm going to delve into the hive mind of LFW here....

Me & Mrs SLM are heading to London for a week's break next week. We've both got some spare leave to use at work and have decided to spend a week in London as there's lots of little things we'd like to go and see/do in the city that we just never get time to do when only there for day trips like football etc.

We've done all the main touristy trail stuff many times so not really heading for that.

Things planned so far:-
- Greenwich Observatory (never been, both interested in it)
- Not bought tickets yet, but hoping to do a Hidden London tour at one of the underground stations - possibly Shepherds Bush - bit pricey but we find them fascinating
- Mrs SLM wants to go and see the Cross Bones graveyard after she learned about it on a Frank Turner song
- QPR Fans Forum (ahem... )
- I'd like to go and see the QPR blue plaque that's at the church where we were founded but I'm not 100% sure where it is - can anyone help on that?
- We like the markets so planning on heading to Borough and Camden as we've never been there.

What other sort of little quirky things that are interesting, but generally hidden, or non-mainstream places to visit that you'd recommend?

Thanks!
London Recommendations on 09:30 - Oct 4 with 4912 viewsDWQPR

Would always recommend seeing a play at the Globe. Me and my son climbed the rigging of Cutty Sark which was a great experience, and we are planning the Shepherds Bush station tour after doing Aldwych in August. Also recommended is a RIB ride on the Thames, Embankment to the Thames Barrier and back is certainly worth the money.

Poll: Where will Clive put QPR in his new season preview

London Recommendations on 09:37 - Oct 4 with 4871 viewstoboboly

A few random things;

- Royal Mail train at the London Transport Museum

- Grant Zoological Museum/Petrie Archaeology Museum at UCL

- Next to the observatory is the National Maritime Museum (free but you have to book) where there is some good stuff on Trafalgar/Nelson. Some good pubs that way too.

- Selection of gigs at New Slang https://www.banquetrecords.com/events

- Foodwise Hawksmoor (lots of locations) does a great steak pre 6:30pm for £25/30 https://thehawksmoor.com/food/our-menus/

if you like museums I have a few more - if you don't we will leave it there

Sexy Asian dwarves wanted.

London Recommendations on 09:39 - Oct 4 with 4862 viewsslmrstid

London Recommendations on 09:37 - Oct 4 by toboboly

A few random things;

- Royal Mail train at the London Transport Museum

- Grant Zoological Museum/Petrie Archaeology Museum at UCL

- Next to the observatory is the National Maritime Museum (free but you have to book) where there is some good stuff on Trafalgar/Nelson. Some good pubs that way too.

- Selection of gigs at New Slang https://www.banquetrecords.com/events

- Foodwise Hawksmoor (lots of locations) does a great steak pre 6:30pm for £25/30 https://thehawksmoor.com/food/our-menus/

if you like museums I have a few more - if you don't we will leave it there

We are big museum geeks kind sir so please do send any recommendations. I can't guarantee we'd get to them all!

Once upon a time when we visited Washington we planned a day at the Smithsonian Air & Space museum. And it literally ended up as a day - we were more or less first in when it opened and were one of the last to leave when it shut, and we only just about managed to see everything we were interested in!

I do like the look of the canal museum near Kings Cross, I think I'd find that interesting.
London Recommendations on 09:41 - Oct 4 with 4862 viewsGloryHunter

After you've been to Greenwich Observatory, you can take Boris's cable car (called the "Emirates Air Line") from North Greenwich over to the Royal Docks. Not much to see there apart from City Airport, so come back again.
Then get a boat trip down the River from the Cutty Sark to Westminster Pier. You can use your Travel Cards on both, I think. It's a fun way to get back into town. And the no. 11 bus through town follows exactly the same route as the open top tourist buses, but doesn't cost £30.
London Recommendations on 09:45 - Oct 4 with 4846 viewsGloryHunter

London Recommendations on 09:39 - Oct 4 by slmrstid

We are big museum geeks kind sir so please do send any recommendations. I can't guarantee we'd get to them all!

Once upon a time when we visited Washington we planned a day at the Smithsonian Air & Space museum. And it literally ended up as a day - we were more or less first in when it opened and were one of the last to leave when it shut, and we only just about managed to see everything we were interested in!

I do like the look of the canal museum near Kings Cross, I think I'd find that interesting.

My favourite museum is the Museum of London at the Barbican. All about the history of London. Unlike the British Museum, which is stuff that we looted from other countries.
London Recommendations on 09:46 - Oct 4 with 4835 viewsessextaxiboy

London Recommendations on 09:41 - Oct 4 by GloryHunter

After you've been to Greenwich Observatory, you can take Boris's cable car (called the "Emirates Air Line") from North Greenwich over to the Royal Docks. Not much to see there apart from City Airport, so come back again.
Then get a boat trip down the River from the Cutty Sark to Westminster Pier. You can use your Travel Cards on both, I think. It's a fun way to get back into town. And the no. 11 bus through town follows exactly the same route as the open top tourist buses, but doesn't cost £30.

John Constable grave at Hampstead , a walk on the common and some nice pubs and shops ?
Camden Lock for a street food lunch .

Walk up Primrose Hill in the evening , might hear the lions roaring .
[Post edited 4 Oct 2022 9:49]
London Recommendations on 09:53 - Oct 4 with 4798 viewsGloryHunter

A great old traditional pub in central London is The Angel in St Giles High Street (behind Tottenham Court Road station). Cheapest beer and food in the area. It's an old coaching Inn and was on the route from the Old Bailey to Tyburn Gallows (now Marble Arch), and the condemned man was allowed off the wagon at The Angel to have his last drink. Hence the origin of "Falling off the wagon", allegedly.
London Recommendations on 09:53 - Oct 4 with 4794 viewstoboboly

London Recommendations on 09:39 - Oct 4 by slmrstid

Good man, did similar in Chicago.

A few others;

- Sir John Soanes Museum (Holborn)

- The Foundling Museum (Russell Square)

- Charles Dickens Museum (Russell Square)

- Apologies the Mail Rail is at the Postal Museum rather than the LTM as stated previously.

- Museum of the Order of St John & The Charterhouse (Farringdon/Smithfield)

- The Clink/The Golden Hinde/The Old Operating Theatre (London Bridge)

- Apsley House/Wellington Arch (Hyde Park Corner)

- Battle of Britain Bunker (Uxbridge)

- RAF Museum (Colindale)

Just a note that a lot of these are quite small and you might get some deals at groupon/travelzoo etc for reduced entry.

Login to get fewer ads

London Recommendations on 09:55 - Oct 4 with 4788 viewsMaggsinho

Dennis Severs house in Shoreditch, it's like a 18th century house that has just been vacated by it's occupants. You could combine it with Columbia Road and Spitalfields markets.

The John Soanes museum is well worth a visit too, a Georgian house stuffed with his collection of antiquaries.
London Recommendations on 09:57 - Oct 4 with 4779 viewshantssi

Take a trip on the new Elizabeth Line.
Boat from Westminster to Greenwich is a good way to get there.
Just have a mooch around some of the beautiful parks if you’ve got time.
London Recommendations on 10:05 - Oct 4 with 4750 viewsBlackCrowe

Saturday morning at Portobello market - Notting Hill end is touristy but it's still a magical place particularly down the Ladbroke Grove through to Westbourne Park end.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

London Recommendations on 10:05 - Oct 4 with 4749 viewsjoe90

If you're going to Greenwich, be sure to get pie and mash from Goddards, which is in the market.

I'd recommend a nose around the Maritime Museum. The Astronomy Photographer of the Year is on, which is always excellent.

https://www.rmg.co.uk/whats-on/astronomy-photographer-year/exhibition

Also, be sure to take you're wife up to the 'Point' on Blackheath. It's not far from the observatory and has a great view of the city. Look it up on google maps.

If you like museums the Horniman in Forest Hill is quirky and has a nice park, also with a lovely view of the city.

https://www.horniman.ac.uk/

Last few recommendations...

The Docklands Museum:

https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london-docklands

Museum of London/Barbican Centre

https://www.museumoflondon.org.uk/museum-london

https://www.barbican.org.uk/

The Barbican itself is just worth walking around. The Arts centre is a great space and has a nice cafe. The Museum of London is on the same site.

Enjoy!
London Recommendations on 10:19 - Oct 4 with 4717 viewsstowmarketrange

I did the London bridges walk from Battersea bridge to tower bridge crossing over at each one.It’s a fair old walk,but you see places close up that you don’t normally see if you’re driving,or on a bus.
Maybe a book from a library or Amazon might give you some more ideas.
London Recommendations on 10:22 - Oct 4 with 4703 viewsdmm

Here is St Judes Hall on Google Maps where you'll see the blue plaque: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Queens+Park+Estate,+67+Ilbert+St.,+London+W10+

London Walks do very good guided walks around London on different themes if you like that sort of thing: https://www.walks.com/
[Post edited 4 Oct 2022 10:23]
London Recommendations on 10:49 - Oct 4 with 4638 viewsPunteR

Portobello market up to Westbourne Park is a good day out plenty of bars, cafes, food stalls etc. Sometimes live music. Similarly Camden lock area.
A walk around Leake Street where there's loads of street art and graffiti and along the river around the London Eye is decent. Pop into the Tate modern gallery? ( never actually been in tbh).
Richmond Park is a beautiful place. Park up near Richmond Gate, up the hill and you've got the Roebuck pub . You can drink out the front overlooking the views out to Berkshire. Nice walk down to the Thames from there as well.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

London Recommendations on 10:57 - Oct 4 with 4619 viewsngbqpr

London Recommendations on 10:05 - Oct 4 by BlackCrowe

Saturday morning at Portobello market - Notting Hill end is touristy but it's still a magical place particularly down the Ladbroke Grove through to Westbourne Park end.

I'd say similar about Brick Lane. A lot of Londoners I know now look down their noses at it, but as someone who moved out of town a good few years ago, it's a place I still love for a mooch whenever I'm back.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

London Recommendations on 11:18 - Oct 4 with 4558 viewsPBLOCK

Loads of good recommendations

If you are around Tottenham Court Road there’s a great little French bistro called Savoir Faire

Very reasonable prices and the food is great

I went drinking in Walthamstow village the other week and thought it was really nice place that if never been to but would definitely go back
London Recommendations on 11:26 - Oct 4 with 4533 viewsDannyPaddox

I discovered a cross-bones headstone recently at St. Mary’s Churchyard nestled between Little Venice and the Westway in between Edgware Road & Paddington station. If that’s the cemetery you mean.

Definitely do a Thames boat trip. The best way to appreciate London. At certain times of the day (rush-hour) you can go as far West as Putney. There’s even a bar on the TFL clipper that serves Meantime beers. But bring your own crisps as they’ll charge you £2 a packet.

I’ve always wondered why there isn’t a river boat stop at Hammersmith. I guess it’s down to the topology/ geography. It would be a great feature - the other side of the bridge from the Blue Anchor though so as not to disturb the ambiance.
[Post edited 4 Oct 2022 11:27]
London Recommendations on 11:38 - Oct 4 with 4497 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

Another recommendation for the Thames Clipper or Uber Boat or watever it’s called now. I always like catching the DLR from Tower Gateway to Royal Victoria then getting the Emirates Air Line over the river to the O2 arena. Get the boat back into town from here or via Woolwich first if you want to see the Thames Barrier.

I much enjoyed my visit to the Sky Garden at the top of the Walkie Talkie. I think it’s free entry but you have to book your visit in advance. There’s restaurants and stuff but you can just look around if you want as I did. Sunset is a nice time to go or sunrise if you’re really keen!

Columbia Rd Flower Market on Sunday morning is nice and stroll down to Brick Lane afterwards for lunch from Beigel Bite.

If your wife likes cemeteries then Abney Park in Stoke Newington is amazing. I like to walk over to Springfield Park from here and then down the Lea Valley to Hackney Wick.

Just aimlessly walking around central London and the City or Canary Wharf or wherever is great value. Always coming across something new and it’s mad how much it’s all changed!

Poll: Expectations for this season?

London Recommendations on 11:48 - Oct 4 with 4462 viewsdmm

If you're doing cemeteries, don't forget to pay your respects when at Highgate

London Recommendations on 11:50 - Oct 4 with 4455 viewsrobith

Camden market is pretty dreadful these days, I'd swerve it.

Much smaller than Borough market, but Maltby Street Market is an absolute hidden treasure trove of food stalls, restaurants, bars etc on Saturday and Sundays. Likewise London Fields on a Saturday

It's not cheap, but everyone should have dinner at Rules at least once in their life. The first time I went and drank Guinness out of a silver tankard, I actually almost wept tears of joy.

Cocktails at Bar American in Brasserie Zedel will make you feel like you're in Casablanca

Noble Rot has one of the best wine lists in the world but they also do a set lunch of 2 courses for £18 or 3 for £22. Given their mains a la carte are £25-36, this is unreal value. Today you can get hake salad and a bavette steak for £18. Madness! The Lamb's Conduit Street one is better than the Soho one imo

There's obviously the Bermondsey beer mile, but there's a slightly more chill one near me in Blackhorse Road with like 5 or 6 really vibey breweries. Walk around Walthamstow Wetlands first to get a thirst on.

I know a couple of London's best and most interesting dim sum venues, but I'm not sharing them publicly

But I do have a few Google maps of restaurants, coffee shops, and wine caves reccs I can share by DM if you're interested
[Post edited 4 Oct 2022 11:52]
London Recommendations on 12:44 - Oct 4 with 4309 viewstoboboly

London Recommendations on 11:50 - Oct 4 by robith

Camden market is pretty dreadful these days, I'd swerve it.

Much smaller than Borough market, but Maltby Street Market is an absolute hidden treasure trove of food stalls, restaurants, bars etc on Saturday and Sundays. Likewise London Fields on a Saturday

It's not cheap, but everyone should have dinner at Rules at least once in their life. The first time I went and drank Guinness out of a silver tankard, I actually almost wept tears of joy.

Cocktails at Bar American in Brasserie Zedel will make you feel like you're in Casablanca

Noble Rot has one of the best wine lists in the world but they also do a set lunch of 2 courses for £18 or 3 for £22. Given their mains a la carte are £25-36, this is unreal value. Today you can get hake salad and a bavette steak for £18. Madness! The Lamb's Conduit Street one is better than the Soho one imo

There's obviously the Bermondsey beer mile, but there's a slightly more chill one near me in Blackhorse Road with like 5 or 6 really vibey breweries. Walk around Walthamstow Wetlands first to get a thirst on.

I know a couple of London's best and most interesting dim sum venues, but I'm not sharing them publicly

But I do have a few Google maps of restaurants, coffee shops, and wine caves reccs I can share by DM if you're interested
[Post edited 4 Oct 2022 11:52]

I got taken to Rules just prior to lockdown, the waiter was removed halfway through the meal and replaced (possibly fired), the food wasn't cooked properly and the drinks order was wrong

Some other good food places;

- Westerns Laundry (Drayton Park)

- Parsons (fish - Covent Garden)

- Meat Liquor

- Blacklock

London Recommendations on 12:58 - Oct 4 with 4259 viewsdannyblue

The Qpr plaque is on the building on the corner of fourth avenue and ilbert street. Nearest station probably Kensal Rise, but an easy walk or E bike ride from golborne Rd , Acklam village and portobello as others have recommended.
London Recommendations on 12:58 - Oct 4 with 4258 viewsTacticalR

London Recommendations on 11:48 - Oct 4 by dmm

If you're doing cemeteries, don't forget to pay your respects when at Highgate

Marx's original grave was much more simple (as Marx had requested). You can see it here:
https://www.geograph.org.uk/photo/5876581
The current grave with the carving of Marx's head was commissioned by the Communist Party of Great Britain and unveiled in 1956.

A biography of Marx published in 2018 ('A World to Win' by Sven-Eric Liedman) begins with the following reminiscence from Ray Lankester, Professor of Zoology at University College London, and director of the Natural History Museum, who encountered the elderly Marx in London:

'When I was young, it was my good fortune to make the acquaintance of an old German Jew who was dying, here in London, from the effects of long hardship and privation, of overwork and poverty. I did what I could to save, to prolong his life. I got him sent to Algeria, to the south of France, and got the most brilliant young physician on Harley Street to look after him. But it was too late. In the short time I knew him, he taught me more than all other teachers, dead or living. He saw more clearly than any other man the disease that was killing the world. His name was Karl Marx.'

'The man who spoke these words was named E. Ray Lankester. He was one of Great Britain’s foremost biologists at the turn of the twentieth century, and one of the few present at Marx’s funeral.'

Air hostess clique

London Recommendations on 13:13 - Oct 4 with 4216 viewsngbqpr

If you like markets and are out east, you can take in Broadway, Netil and Mare St (the latter primarily food) all in one go.

And if you fancy trying something different grub-wise...as a vegan, there are two vegan restaurants I always point friend towards in London, ask them to go without preconceptions...and you will have some GREAT food.

One is Farmacy in Westbourne Grove, so can tie this in with a visit to QPR -can be a little bit pricey, slightly less so is Mildred's, which has six branches: Soho*, Cov Garden, Kings X, Dalston*, Camden, Mallow Borough market (*my faves)

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024