Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Keeping our loved assets 10:31 - May 4 with 2257 viewsenfieldargh

In the mid to late 1970’s the only media outlets for finding out news on Qpr was mostly via the newspapers.

In the bad old days there were no such things as transfer windows, I don’t even recall there being a loan system.

You could buy and sell any player at anytime up until the 31st March until the season ended.

My first heartbreak was the sale of Rodney Marsh. March 1972 apparently £200,000 to Man Citeh. I was devastated. Rodney the season I started supporting this club in the first place gone. I was 14 never kissed a girl or been told to sling my hook by one but my hero my idol was gone, just like that. I would have found out when the morning papers were delivered, I used to wait for the paperboy to try and cram the daily telegraph for my dad and daily express for my mum. I’d get to them just before my dad who needed the telegraph to read it on the bog regular as clockwork at 7:30 in case the express disappeared in with him for what seemed ages.

Turn to the back pages and check for anything on Qpr, often there was nothing but one day splattered over the back of the express was news of Rodney’s transfer.OMG what happens now.

Then along comes Stanley.

For the next 6 or 7 years I’d check the back pages and there was Stan putting in yet another transfer request. The scar of Rodney’s departure etched deeply across my heart so these stories cut through me every time. He eventually got sold to Forest which I though at least he’s going to one of the best teams around at that time.

Since then the standout departures for me have been Clive Allen, Gerry Francis, Phil Parkes, Paul Parker, Darren Peacock, Les Ferdinand and others I can’t think of just now.

One of the most painful moments was Terry Venables going to Barcelona which brings me around to our Marti.

This man IS the greatest assets this club has had in decades. The fact that he has pulled the current group of players into a coherent team. They were sinking and up to their necks in an acrid bog of filth and slime, the club was on the verge of almost oblivion.

If this was the 1970’s I would be waiting by the front door for the papers to arrive in the hope that Qpr manager poached by Real Madrid headlines.

Today’s instant news from sky, radio, clickbait, social media means that this news can hit us at any given time be it made up or true.

Think I preferred waiting for the papers to arrive.

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Keeping our loved assets on 10:34 - May 4 with 1937 viewsenfieldargh

Couldn’t read it before posting as iPad froze so a few key words missing.
Don’t know how Clive does it

captains fantastic
Poll: QPR V BURNLEY WIN DRAW DEFEAT

Keeping our loved assets on 10:51 - May 4 with 1869 viewskernowhoop

Lots of memories there.
Anyone remember the white-painted message somewhere on the Ellerslie Road side of the ground?
It was either 'Rodney must stay' or 'Rodney must not go'.
Keeping our loved assets on 11:49 - May 4 with 1787 viewsterryb

I could understand the sale of Clive Allen as the offer was too good to turn down. What STILL upsets me is then selling Paul Goddard! Both started the 79/80 season as teenagers & scored 44 league goals between them!

I knew a few Rangers fans who vowed never to go again after selling Rodney, but the truth was that he had stopped performing for us & we were unbeaten for the rest of the season. Bowles, Givens & Thomas replacing him was a masterstroke!

Venables falling out with Gregory & going to Barcelona is probably the worst moments in our history that I can recall. Appointing Docherty (twice), Redknapp & Mullery (in that order) are the closest I can come to.

I should know a lot better, but I share your enthusiasm for Marti!
[Post edited 6 May 16:58]
Keeping our loved assets on 11:51 - May 4 with 1778 viewscolinallcars

I miss the papers. I'm pretty sure Saturday's team was in Friday's Standard, not announced an hour before KO.
Alway lots to read in the Bush Gazette and WLO.
Keeping our loved assets on 12:02 - May 4 with 1749 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Eze.

I didn't think my heart could break again at my age.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Keeping our loved assets on 12:10 - May 4 with 1715 viewsMrSheen

Ricky Sappleton. No future.
Keeping our loved assets on 12:41 - May 4 with 1636 viewsNov77

Remember coming home from school, sticking the tv on and reading on ceefax, ‘Parkes sold to West Ham for £565000.’ Teletext was relatively new at the time, but those words have been burnt into my corneas ever since. I can still see them.

Most gutted I’ve ever been on learning a rangers player had gone.

Poll: December goal of the month - vote for your favourite R's goal during December

Keeping our loved assets on 12:51 - May 4 with 1620 viewsBoston

Keeping our loved assets on 12:41 - May 4 by Nov77

Remember coming home from school, sticking the tv on and reading on ceefax, ‘Parkes sold to West Ham for £565000.’ Teletext was relatively new at the time, but those words have been burnt into my corneas ever since. I can still see them.

Most gutted I’ve ever been on learning a rangers player had gone.

Always respected him for retiring on the same number of appearances for West Ham as he did for us.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Login to get fewer ads

Keeping our loved assets on 08:11 - May 6 with 1317 viewsTomS

Jim Gregory normally came out the right side of transfer deals, unlike most of those who followed him. West Ham had to pay a world record fee for a goalkeeper at the time, and Parkes only had a handful of caps. The sale of Allen and Goddard also allowed the club to build a new stand. Allen, as we all know, returned to the club soon afterwards, although I never found out how much we paid Palace for him.
Keeping our loved assets on 08:23 - May 6 with 1291 viewsdaveB

Coming home from a night out to see on ceefax that Ferdinand was going to Aston Villa broke my heart
Keeping our loved assets on 09:11 - May 6 with 1238 viewsted_hendrix

1972 not sure of the Month but It came on the squeaky naff car radio in the evening that we had sold Rodney Marsh to Man City.

Gutted beyond belief, remember that moment like It was yesterday.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Keeping our loved assets on 09:37 - May 6 with 1185 viewsGaryBannister86

Keeping our loved assets on 08:23 - May 6 by daveB

Coming home from a night out to see on ceefax that Ferdinand was going to Aston Villa broke my heart

Must have been quite a night out that, Dave :-)

The Peacock one always got me. It was just so unnecessary. He was an excellent player, but not THAT good like Les that it was inevitable he should leave. Didn't seem that keen on agitating for a move. We just.....sold him. With no replacement plan. With future years of Yates and Ready.

That's always the problem for us on the big player sales. We don't spend the money wisely. I'm sure Brentford will spend the Toney money very well - with us, god knows.
Keeping our loved assets on 09:48 - May 6 with 1159 viewsLowerloftLad

I remember reading on teletext that Langley had left us to join Cardiff and I was absolutely heart-broken especially as the play off was still so raw.

Ohhhhhh bobby zamora

Keeping our loved assets on 12:03 - May 6 with 1036 viewsstevec

Remember when they used to do the football classified newspapers, late 60’s early 70’s, where you could get home from a game Saturday night and read all about it five minutes later as they were distributed. Quite a feat really, not just in London either, as I recall.

Used to cut the Rangers ones out and put them in a scrapbook as a kid. From the daily’s, Jeff Powell was a cut above any other football journalist at the time.
Keeping our loved assets on 14:07 - May 6 with 951 viewsDavieQPR

Remember the original BBC 606?
Keeping our loved assets on 14:21 - May 6 with 923 viewshantssi

Keeping our loved assets on 11:49 - May 4 by terryb

I could understand the sale of Clive Allen as the offer was too good to turn down. What STILL upsets me is then selling Paul Goddard! Both started the 79/80 season as teenagers & scored 44 league goals between them!

I knew a few Rangers fans who vowed never to go again after selling Rodney, but the truth was that he had stopped performing for us & we were unbeaten for the rest of the season. Bowles, Givens & Thomas replacing him was a masterstroke!

Venables falling out with Gregory & going to Barcelona is probably the worst moments in our history that I can recall. Appointing Docherty (twice), Redknapp & Mullery (in that order) are the closest I can come to.

I should know a lot better, but I share your enthusiasm for Marti!
[Post edited 6 May 16:58]

69/70 season or 79/80 season?
Keeping our loved assets on 14:38 - May 6 with 900 viewsterryb

Keeping our loved assets on 14:21 - May 6 by hantssi

69/70 season or 79/80 season?

Both times Hants! It takes somebody special to stop Harold being, in my view, our most despicable manager!

The last game of the 78/79 season will always remain with me. I was in the School End with my wife (Ipswich supporter) & iother Ipswich fans that i drank with before Ipswich home midweek games.

I could just about handle relegation. I could just about handle being thrashed by Ipswich. What I STILL struggle with is the sympathy they all had for me when Docherty's appointment was announced!
Keeping our loved assets on 15:27 - May 6 with 832 viewshantssi

Keeping our loved assets on 14:38 - May 6 by terryb

Both times Hants! It takes somebody special to stop Harold being, in my view, our most despicable manager!

The last game of the 78/79 season will always remain with me. I was in the School End with my wife (Ipswich supporter) & iother Ipswich fans that i drank with before Ipswich home midweek games.

I could just about handle relegation. I could just about handle being thrashed by Ipswich. What I STILL struggle with is the sympathy they all had for me when Docherty's appointment was announced!

Sorry, I meant selling Goddard and Allen!
Keeping our loved assets on 17:01 - May 6 with 749 viewsterryb

Keeping our loved assets on 15:27 - May 6 by hantssi

Sorry, I meant selling Goddard and Allen!

Sorry Hants. My original post is now edited!

It was the 79/80 season Allen & Goddard scored 44 goals between them. I was only a decade out!
Keeping our loved assets on 17:11 - May 6 with 725 viewsBluce_Ree

Anyone who leaves us is dead to me.

I know he's a nice guy and all that but it includes Eze. I'm sick of hearing about how well he's doing. Once Palace sell him and we get a cut of that, he'll be as irrelevant to me as any other player.

Why am I this way?

Well, despite going to some QPR games as a kid, my first season as a willing volunteer was 95/96. So I saw Trevor Sinclair tearing things up for us and generally being amazing (gutted I missed the Sinton era though). Anyway, he got sold for basically some Tesco Value magic beans and two of West Ham's worst players.

That's when I knew that we could never have nice things.

ALL THINGS ARE POSSIBLE THROUGH MARTI THE REDEEMER WHO STRENGTHENS ME.

Keeping our loved assets on 17:20 - May 6 with 719 viewsstevenagehoop

In my time the departures of Marsh, Parkes, Bowles, Seaman, Roeder, Fenwick, Parker ,Ferdinand and more recently Taraabt, Austin and Eze have all been disappointing especially for what we received for many of them but in line with the words of the song the first cut is the deepest and the loss of Marsh was probably the one that lingers with me the longest.

I never lie but I don't always tell the truth

Keeping our loved assets on 17:35 - May 6 with 686 viewscharmr

I still have a copy of the sun about Rodney moving. He’s sitting on a Lotus Europa.

Venables not owning the club is my biggest disappointment. What an opportunity lost. Could have been a top top club
Keeping our loved assets on 18:06 - May 6 with 664 viewsBeejnewark

Was losing Dave Thomas for me..
Keeping our loved assets on 18:46 - May 6 with 628 viewsnix

Keeping our loved assets on 12:02 - May 4 by BrianMcCarthy

Eze.

I didn't think my heart could break again at my age.

Still love the guy. So pleased to see him still doing well. It's quite unbelievable sometimes when you see clips of him in the hoops. I think we say him at his irrepressible, swaggering best unfettered by all the defensive work he seems to have to prioritise at Palace to the detriment of his attacking prowess.

For me what breaks my heart is who the replacements were. Mark Hately in place of Sir Les and Ian Dowie for Trevor Sinclair.. At least with Ebs we had Chris Willock who wasn't quite at Eb's level was an exciting player with potential.
Keeping our loved assets on 20:51 - May 6 with 552 viewsGroveR

Keeping our loved assets on 08:23 - May 6 by daveB

Well here's a Ceefax image to cheer you up mate.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024