Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... 21:34 - Jan 1 with 2515 viewsazjack

I hear people suggesting that referees should explain their decisions after the game. Well, why not during the game?
Refereeing is not easy ( I did it once - and never again - in a friendly under 15 game winning myself no friends) especially in such a high paced contact sport oft times in an extremely intimidating environment. They are forced to make split second decisions in very stressful situations and yet we have the technology available to help them make more accurate calls in real time and to inform/educate us, the spectators.
So why don't we allow video replay, why don't we allow officials the same luxury as the TV pundits to review a contentious decision?
Everyone on the field makes mistakes..I don't believe today's referees are any worse than those of a previous generation.
It always used to be the "disrupts the flow of the game" lobby that won the day but the game - and the audience and the rewards - has clearly evolved and yet its still controlled by a man with a whistle and two guys with flags. Come on...this is 2015 not 1915!
How many times is the game now stopped - and quite rightly so - in case of potential head injuries?
Why not a time-clock to ensure that the ball is in play for ninety minutes or seventy or sixty minutes? (Actual playing time when you include all the deliberate time wasting, injuries real and fake, play acting, remonstrations with the referee, dead ball situations is probably no more than sixty minutes anyway).
A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 22:10 - Jan 1 with 2399 viewsAngelRangelQS

They announce it to the crowds in some sports
A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 22:40 - Jan 1 with 2340 viewsdobjack2

I have to disagree on one point.

Whilst officials are human and make mistakes the current crop are getting a lot of big and fairly straightforward decisions wrong.

My biggest criticism is usually reserved for the people with flags who apart from giving offside seem to have no further part in the running of the game. After today I can see why they don't get involved.
A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 22:40 - Jan 1 with 2336 viewsazjack

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 22:10 - Jan 1 by AngelRangelQS

They announce it to the crowds in some sports

Yes and say what you like about the NFL but the owners - and beneficiaries - of the game do not take the spectator for granted. Decisions are promptly communicated to the audience and there is always an option for the coach to challenge a contentious decision.
Monday morning quarterbacking always focuses on the game action itself and almost never on the performance of the game officials.
A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 00:08 - Jan 2 with 2215 views1973scott

There are far too many inconsistencies in the game and this is because of human error. Almost every game provides a talking point around cards, sending off's, hand balls, off side, shirt pulling, diving etc etc.

the biggest issue is however is that the poor decision making process by the officials is extremely costly and can make or break a club.

Technology has to be implemented to improve the decision making process, the refs I'm afraid are making too many costly mistakes.

Who studies the incidents that happened during the game with the ref and the officials and what action is taken as a result of the assessment?

If you made mistakes like that in work you might well get a warning or the sack!

The FA needs to address this issue and make changes ASAP, it's not acceptable.
A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 00:18 - Jan 2 with 2167 viewsPrivate_Partz

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 00:08 - Jan 2 by 1973scott

There are far too many inconsistencies in the game and this is because of human error. Almost every game provides a talking point around cards, sending off's, hand balls, off side, shirt pulling, diving etc etc.

the biggest issue is however is that the poor decision making process by the officials is extremely costly and can make or break a club.

Technology has to be implemented to improve the decision making process, the refs I'm afraid are making too many costly mistakes.

Who studies the incidents that happened during the game with the ref and the officials and what action is taken as a result of the assessment?

If you made mistakes like that in work you might well get a warning or the sack!

I used to recall that the ref was rarely wrong after the slow mo replay. It is most certainly not the case nowadays. It could be down to the speed of the game making it more difficult for refs. If so then appeals and the video ref could be an answer in such circumstances. It seems to work ok In rugby.
Having said that I still feel that the standards of referee have dropped and they seem to have a 'look at me' attitude and are scared to dish it out to the top clubs whilst tending to favour the home teams when under pressure from the crowd.

You have mission in life to hold out your hand, To help the other guy out, Help your fellow man. Stan Ridgway

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 00:27 - Jan 2 with 2142 viewsJackFish

Add in a couple of those guys behind the goals with batons and it'll be perfect.
A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 00:32 - Jan 2 with 2131 views1973scott

Bring in the video referee,

This is how it goes:
Crowd - go mental band scream handball
Ref - stops game and blows and goes upstairs to the video ref

Ref - was it a handball?
Video ref - Yes it was,
Ref - ok so I may award a penalty
Video ref - you may
Ref - awards a penalty

Goal........
A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 08:33 - Jan 2 with 2033 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Well they could go down the cricket and tennis route where 3 challenges are allowed per innings/set. It could mean a maximum of 3 per half for each team and with the goal line technology already being used could concentrate on offsides, simulation or genuine foul in case of a penalty, handball, deciding wether a defender was the last man or not and cases like Green's and Routledge today. Green would have been sent off and Routs maybe a yellow but his assailant would have walked. That would have meant nine men for them and three points for us.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Login to get fewer ads

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 08:46 - Jan 2 with 2008 viewsmonmouth

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 08:33 - Jan 2 by Brynmill_Jack

Well they could go down the cricket and tennis route where 3 challenges are allowed per innings/set. It could mean a maximum of 3 per half for each team and with the goal line technology already being used could concentrate on offsides, simulation or genuine foul in case of a penalty, handball, deciding wether a defender was the last man or not and cases like Green's and Routledge today. Green would have been sent off and Routs maybe a yellow but his assailant would have walked. That would have meant nine men for them and three points for us.

Just one challenge a game would do the trick I think, to make sure it's a serious call. If you are successful you keep the challenge throughout, if not, you lose it.

In addition, even simpler for major clear cut obvious incidents where the timing is not critical, the ref has a feed from the video ref and, like yesterday at the next break in play he simply sends Green off having been told what he didn't see.

Poll: TRUST MEMBERS: What DID you vote in the, um, vote

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 12:55 - Jan 2 with 1886 viewstrampie

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 00:18 - Jan 2 by Private_Partz

I used to recall that the ref was rarely wrong after the slow mo replay. It is most certainly not the case nowadays. It could be down to the speed of the game making it more difficult for refs. If so then appeals and the video ref could be an answer in such circumstances. It seems to work ok In rugby.
Having said that I still feel that the standards of referee have dropped and they seem to have a 'look at me' attitude and are scared to dish it out to the top clubs whilst tending to favour the home teams when under pressure from the crowd.

I agree that the ref was rarely wrong after the slow mo replay and that it is most certainly not the case nowadays.

We did not have any Welsh teams in the Premier League in the early Sky Prem years and we did have Welsh refs [who tended to be good] refereeing English Prem games.

The standard of reffing has gone down and down in England big style.

Their top man booked the same guy 3 times in a fairly recent world cup if I recall correctly and one did the final allowing open season on the favourites, kung fu kicks the lot.
[Post edited 2 Jan 2015 12:57]

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 13:57 - Jan 2 with 1826 viewsoldcob

I can understand human error, but some refs this season have been blatantly biased against us.
A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 13:59 - Jan 2 with 1823 viewssully49

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 00:08 - Jan 2 by 1973scott

At every match, there is a referee's assessor.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 14:04 - Jan 2 with 1803 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Not true it is now called a referee's delagate often a player with no knowledge of the Laws of the game. No matter how bad the Premier League officials are virtually none ever get demoted. I can think of only TWO since the premier league started. Andy D'Urso and Stuart Attwell.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 16:15 - Jan 2 with 1722 viewsNOTRAC

I am sure that one of the big problems for today's referees is the constant cheating by more and more players.
Diving and rolling over in agony are bad enough ,but more and more we see instances of players trying to get an opposing player sent off.
Swansea suffer because they rarely cheat in this way.
Unfortunately Swansea don't seem to get recognition for their honesty.

Poll: Has the Europa Cup been worth entering this year?

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 18:06 - Jan 2 with 1667 viewstrampie

A man with a whistle and two guys with flags.... on 16:15 - Jan 2 by NOTRAC

I am sure that one of the big problems for today's referees is the constant cheating by more and more players.
Diving and rolling over in agony are bad enough ,but more and more we see instances of players trying to get an opposing player sent off.
Swansea suffer because they rarely cheat in this way.
Unfortunately Swansea don't seem to get recognition for their honesty.

Its unfortunate, but there is a lot of truth in that.

Continually being banned by Planet Swans for Porthcawl and then being reinstated.
Poll: UK European Union membership referendum poll

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024