Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS 11:09 - Oct 24 with 1047 viewsdurham_exile

TH buoyed by a vital victory over the Valiants faces a challenging game against second placed Walsall this afternoon.

Now opinion appears to be split between those in the TH corner and those requesting regime change. Perhaps a truce could be reached. Regardless of the pro or against TH we ALL support Colchester so that should be that (for the moment).

Chris Porter is added to the injury list (again) and pressure is on Owen Garvan to line up today. Unless absolutely fit he should not be risked. It is still too early for Gavin Massey and with Garvan injured again on Tuesday we should tread carefully. Equally Frankie Kent was unfit for Tuesday and should not be considered a starter today.

Dean Smith's Walsall will provide a stern test and it is another game where the U's need to attack early doors and not get caught as happened last week at the DW.

A return to 4, 3, 3

Jones

Olufemi Eastman Elokobi Briggs

Edwards Moncur Gilbey

Sembie-Ferris Sordell Harriott

Subs:

Parish James Kent Ambrose Szmodics Bonne Wright

It is good to see both Georges in the side and TH needs to persevere with Dion Sembie-Ferris who gives pace and decent crosses when given the service.

Hopefully an improving crowd will witness another home victory.

Enjoy the game.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:00 - Oct 24 with 1018 viewsdurham_exile

Much to do second half

Sembie-Ferris needs to make an introduction.

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:06 - Oct 24 with 1017 viewsdurham_exile

GEORGE MONCUR

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:08 - Oct 24 with 1016 viewsdurham_exile

MARVIN SORDELL

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:15 - Oct 24 with 1013 viewsdurham_exile

Evans for Saddlers then OWEN GARVAN

3-3

Durham_exile

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:35 - Oct 24 with 1009 viewsdurham_exile

DARREN AMBROSE 4-3

Up the U's

Durham_exile

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:43 - Oct 24 with 1005 viewsgerry_us

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:35 - Oct 24 by durham_exile

DARREN AMBROSE 4-3

Up the U's

How's the blood pressure Peter?
Not long to go
Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:47 - Oct 24 with 1003 viewsgerry_us

Can I say bugger?
Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:53 - Oct 24 with 1002 viewsgerry_us

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:47 - Oct 24 by gerry_us

Can I say bugger?

PHEW!
Login to get fewer ads

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:55 - Oct 24 with 999 viewsdurham_exile

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:53 - Oct 24 by gerry_us

PHEW!

Gerry another four conceded but four scored in a pulsating affair.

Up the U's

Humes Out!

Durham_exile

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 17:54 - Oct 24 with 980 viewsLeadbelly

We looked scared of Walsall in the first half and some poor defending saw us one down from a set piece. Second took a big reflection to beat Jones.

Everyone seemed to push five years further forward in the second half and we looked much better. Harriott was causing their right back serious problems so whoever decided he should switch flanks needs a kick up the arse. I thought it took the wind out of our sails. We could have conceded a fifth near the end but the woodwork saved us.

Entertaining but still dodgy at the back. Hume's out.
[Post edited 24 Oct 2015 19:15]

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 19:13 - Oct 24 with 941 viewsbwildered

A wonderful score draw, excellent football by both sides, a coaches nightmare . Overall a fair result, has concede four you should lose and score four should win .
Would take four from six points at home after the last two away results .
Onwards and upwards .

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 19:32 - Oct 24 with 910 viewsBarsidepete

Wowza that must have been brutal.

At least I had it 2-1 in Daniel's PL, was feeling optimistic, and collected points for Moncur to net one first.

Couldn't listen to the stream.

But when I saw 0-1, 0-2, 1-2, 2-2, 2-3, 3-3, 4-3, 4-4... I felt like my phone had repairs needed.

For those who attended, was it at least fun? I think only a bottle of voddy could cure a day like that at the WHCS.

4 to frickin 4?? Good grief.

Poll: In Daniel's PL, Sector4 is top, I'm 2nd or 3rd depending on the update

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 19:58 - Oct 24 with 896 viewspwrightsknees

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 19:13 - Oct 24 by bwildered

A wonderful score draw, excellent football by both sides, a coaches nightmare . Overall a fair result, has concede four you should lose and score four should win .
Would take four from six points at home after the last two away results .
Onwards and upwards .

Agreed BW.

A cracking match and a fair result. Both coaches will have nightmares about the defending, though.
Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 20:37 - Oct 24 with 875 viewsPaddyA140

Kent struggled manfully at LB but (unless replays show otherwise) I'm sure Elokobi was at fault for 2. Ambrose needed to protect Olufemi more than he did.

But - though 4-4 felt like a defeat at the end we were 0-2 and buried, so i thought, at HT, so there are a lot of positives going into next week at Donny, who are struggling.

Harriott and Moncur played out of their skins - a joint MOM award for me. And Sordell's improving each game.

I'll be gutted if we don't finish top half ... and might put a few quid on a play off place.

Up the U"s
Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 21:25 - Oct 24 with 852 viewswessex_exile

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 20:37 - Oct 24 by PaddyA140

Kent struggled manfully at LB but (unless replays show otherwise) I'm sure Elokobi was at fault for 2. Ambrose needed to protect Olufemi more than he did.

But - though 4-4 felt like a defeat at the end we were 0-2 and buried, so i thought, at HT, so there are a lot of positives going into next week at Donny, who are struggling.

Harriott and Moncur played out of their skins - a joint MOM award for me. And Sordell's improving each game.

I'll be gutted if we don't finish top half ... and might put a few quid on a play off place.

Up the U"s

On balance, I have to be happy with a 4-4 draw after being 2-0 down at half-time. Gutted we couldn't hold on to it at 4-3, but it sounded like we could have lost 5-4 at the end, so a good point rescued against one of the league leaders as far as I'm concerned.

I will bow to the wisdom of those like you Paddy who were there, but from my remote vantage point it sounded like Kent was the weak link, and as a result was pulling Elokobi out of position out of necessity? If we can shore up the defence somehow, mid-table should be achievable, but play-offs is probably a step too far right now.

Up the U's
Poll: How will we do in 2016/17
Blog: Knees-up Mother Brown #24

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 14:20 - Oct 25 with 753 viewsnoah4x4

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 21:25 - Oct 24 by wessex_exile

On balance, I have to be happy with a 4-4 draw after being 2-0 down at half-time. Gutted we couldn't hold on to it at 4-3, but it sounded like we could have lost 5-4 at the end, so a good point rescued against one of the league leaders as far as I'm concerned.

I will bow to the wisdom of those like you Paddy who were there, but from my remote vantage point it sounded like Kent was the weak link, and as a result was pulling Elokobi out of position out of necessity? If we can shore up the defence somehow, mid-table should be achievable, but play-offs is probably a step too far right now.

Wessex, my opinion is that our excellent 'footballer' centre back Frankie Kent isn't a left back nor is Elokobi still capable of that role (at fault for at least two goals). Had we instead lined up with Briggs; Kent; Eastman; Olefumi; with the more defensive minded Massey ahead of Olefumi (e.g. instead of Ambrose) I reckon that we might have comfortably won this fixture. But again injury conspired against that combination that has proved so successful.

Elokobi always looks great when he heads or hoofs the ball into the stands, but (IMHO) has consistently been our weaker link when we need the ball is on the deck and/or when the opposition play similarly. However, he has also failed to defend some critical headers when the opposition has gone aerial and direct (notably Shrewsbury). Kent is the far better all-round player, but Elokobi is a huge improvement over Magnus in any position!

However, we did have full backs Briggs; Brindley; ODonahue and KVY all injured so we had little option except to put out a makeshift back four comprising three centre backs (we dare not risk Elokobi again at full back after Shrewsbury or Bramall Lane). It was worth a try with Kent, but let us hope that Briggs is back for Saturday and that O'Donahue (or better still, KVY) attains full fitness to be on the bench (along with Elokobi, the latter to provide cover only for centre back). I also agree with an earlier comment that Ambrose didn't protect Olefumi as well as Massey does. Against Wigan Tosin was left utterly exposed by Sembie-Ferris. But this game was so teeter-totter that substituting anybody from midfield to bring on (say) the more defensive minded Szmodics or Lapslie would have no doubt brought howls of derision from fans. We had to keep the attacking momentum going once we had gained parity at 2-2 until we got ahead. Then when leading 4-3; Humes did the right thing (e.g. change Edwards and Sembie-Ferris for the visibly exhausted Moncur and Harriott), but these substitutions didn’t contribute to the Walsall added time equaliser. The defence (Big George and Eastman) had opportunities galore to get the ball safe and didn’t, whikst the refereeing was dire.

My perception at Shrewsbury; Wigan and to a lesser extent yesterday is that we tend to leak goals as a result of midfield that has too often lost control/possession and a back four that then gets swamped. Against Wigan, Olefumi was frequently isolated and having to defend against three attackers. It was vastly better yesterday; but still 'work in progress'. Having both a fit Garvan and Massey permits us to have the luxury of Moncur, Harriott plus Edwards, else Edwards has to be left out for Gilbey (as per yesterday). We should have perhaps scored first as Sordell will rue two glorious chances; and that would have been a massive game changer. Instead, we were always chasing the game until late on.

But let us be positive. Until yesterday, Walsall had only conceded NINE league goals in 14 matches with seven clean sheets (including against Burton, and Wigan) and have the meanest defence in the land. Yet, the U's scored FOUR goals in 45 minutes.

To achieve that after being two down we had to throw the kitchen sink at them (so why won't anybody praise Humes for having a “Plan B”?) with the result that we did sacrifice some defence and we hence gave away a further two goals. But we ‘won’ the second half 4-2 and to go from two-nil down to four three-up against a top side was both awesome and entertaining. So why am I am not hearing any praise for Tony Humes given how he lifted the side during the interval? Or are we simply going to focus on the fact that Walsall got a (deserved) equaliser at the death and hence "we can't hang on to a lead"? Frankly, the minute we went 4-3 up I whispered to my pal ‘DOM’ that I would still take a draw from there and he agreed. Walsall have play 15; Won 8; Drawn 5 ; Lost 2 (none away). The U’s have now lost only ONE at home in 13. If the 'Humes Out' brigade are going to criticise when things go wrong, let's please be balanced in our opinions when they go right.

Doncaster must be quaking in their boots after this with our confidence sky high. Despite 15th place, we remain just four points off the play-offs. A win next week and that puts us on the cusp of dizzy heights we only dream about. But it may depend on who is fit to start.
Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 15:53 - Oct 25 with 729 viewsLeadbelly

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 14:20 - Oct 25 by noah4x4

Wessex, my opinion is that our excellent 'footballer' centre back Frankie Kent isn't a left back nor is Elokobi still capable of that role (at fault for at least two goals). Had we instead lined up with Briggs; Kent; Eastman; Olefumi; with the more defensive minded Massey ahead of Olefumi (e.g. instead of Ambrose) I reckon that we might have comfortably won this fixture. But again injury conspired against that combination that has proved so successful.

Elokobi always looks great when he heads or hoofs the ball into the stands, but (IMHO) has consistently been our weaker link when we need the ball is on the deck and/or when the opposition play similarly. However, he has also failed to defend some critical headers when the opposition has gone aerial and direct (notably Shrewsbury). Kent is the far better all-round player, but Elokobi is a huge improvement over Magnus in any position!

However, we did have full backs Briggs; Brindley; ODonahue and KVY all injured so we had little option except to put out a makeshift back four comprising three centre backs (we dare not risk Elokobi again at full back after Shrewsbury or Bramall Lane). It was worth a try with Kent, but let us hope that Briggs is back for Saturday and that O'Donahue (or better still, KVY) attains full fitness to be on the bench (along with Elokobi, the latter to provide cover only for centre back). I also agree with an earlier comment that Ambrose didn't protect Olefumi as well as Massey does. Against Wigan Tosin was left utterly exposed by Sembie-Ferris. But this game was so teeter-totter that substituting anybody from midfield to bring on (say) the more defensive minded Szmodics or Lapslie would have no doubt brought howls of derision from fans. We had to keep the attacking momentum going once we had gained parity at 2-2 until we got ahead. Then when leading 4-3; Humes did the right thing (e.g. change Edwards and Sembie-Ferris for the visibly exhausted Moncur and Harriott), but these substitutions didn’t contribute to the Walsall added time equaliser. The defence (Big George and Eastman) had opportunities galore to get the ball safe and didn’t, whikst the refereeing was dire.

My perception at Shrewsbury; Wigan and to a lesser extent yesterday is that we tend to leak goals as a result of midfield that has too often lost control/possession and a back four that then gets swamped. Against Wigan, Olefumi was frequently isolated and having to defend against three attackers. It was vastly better yesterday; but still 'work in progress'. Having both a fit Garvan and Massey permits us to have the luxury of Moncur, Harriott plus Edwards, else Edwards has to be left out for Gilbey (as per yesterday). We should have perhaps scored first as Sordell will rue two glorious chances; and that would have been a massive game changer. Instead, we were always chasing the game until late on.

But let us be positive. Until yesterday, Walsall had only conceded NINE league goals in 14 matches with seven clean sheets (including against Burton, and Wigan) and have the meanest defence in the land. Yet, the U's scored FOUR goals in 45 minutes.

To achieve that after being two down we had to throw the kitchen sink at them (so why won't anybody praise Humes for having a “Plan B”?) with the result that we did sacrifice some defence and we hence gave away a further two goals. But we ‘won’ the second half 4-2 and to go from two-nil down to four three-up against a top side was both awesome and entertaining. So why am I am not hearing any praise for Tony Humes given how he lifted the side during the interval? Or are we simply going to focus on the fact that Walsall got a (deserved) equaliser at the death and hence "we can't hang on to a lead"? Frankly, the minute we went 4-3 up I whispered to my pal ‘DOM’ that I would still take a draw from there and he agreed. Walsall have play 15; Won 8; Drawn 5 ; Lost 2 (none away). The U’s have now lost only ONE at home in 13. If the 'Humes Out' brigade are going to criticise when things go wrong, let's please be balanced in our opinions when they go right.

Doncaster must be quaking in their boots after this with our confidence sky high. Despite 15th place, we remain just four points off the play-offs. A win next week and that puts us on the cusp of dizzy heights we only dream about. But it may depend on who is fit to start.

Noah,

Praise for Humes? We won the 2nd half so perhaps praise is due but we lost the 1st half so who is to blame for that?

I think the Col U support is split - those who think Humes is doing a great job and those that think he isn't up to the job. Whilst we remain inconsistent in general and leaky at the back in particular I don't think the sceptics, like me, will be persuaded to change our minds.

Poll: Safe standing at football; yes, know or don't know?

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:01 - Oct 25 with 728 viewsbwildered

Walsall played very similar to how Dunne tried to with the U's, but the difference was that they retained possession more effectively .
Three of the goals conceded, were of the U's making (second took a deflection ). Kent got overran in the last ten minutes, and let's not forget he was playing out of position and back from injury. He also has not yet played a full season of first team football.
Sordell is looking a better player with every game and taking the pressure off a quick return of Porter.
Note that Charlton have sacked the manager, so a recall of Harriot might be on the cards when the new boss is appointed.

Poll: No half measure either 1 or 2 ?

Saddlers provide test for Super U's at Fortress WHCS on 16:42 - Oct 25 with 722 viewsnoah4x4

What worries me is that NO manager other than perhaps during one season of Parkinson has ever had the support of the majority of U's fans in about twenty years. Admittedly that is the product of often being a struggling team. But for once we are not struggling. We have simply had a couple of shocking results, but in general we are doing OK (one home defeat in 12) and the football is entertaining.

I would just like us to give a manager at least three transfer windows to see where he can take us. Rome wasnt ever built in a day, nor will Camelodeum United.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024