Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? 00:53 - Feb 2 with 5734 viewsDr_Parnassus

It’s a question I have asked on various threads but not getting an answer.

£10,000,000 of their own money, out of their own pockets has been put in my them so far and not listed as debt with it being converted to equity.

So who in our history has put in more of their own money than this ownership group?

I feel some toys being firmly dislodged from some prams over the last 48 hours calling them liars and all sorts.

Running the club at an even keel, an ability to source external cheap investment and ploughing a couple of million into transfers every season is exactly what we want isn’t it? Plus the support and time given to an uninspiring manager is also off the scale which is what people wanted…

If it isn’t then please let me know what it is we are wanting from the next owners.

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 19:58 - Feb 2 with 1039 viewsDr_Parnassus

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 19:30 - Feb 2 by Boundy

You keep banging the same drum about PL status , no one has to the best of my knowledge has posted that we are entitled to be there playing, what's been posted is what appears to be the lack of direction to get us there , it looks like your ambition for the Club is to plateau at Championship level and be grateful for it

That’s where there is continual confusion.

It seems to be the same people saying “we were rubbish before, so where we are is fine” with regards to mediocrity in the management department.

But then it comes to the owners it becomes “we need to be ambitious, we need to spend money”.

Surely we have to pick one? Is it fine being mediocre or do we want to be ambitious, the two are total opposites.

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 20:31 - Feb 2 with 991 viewsswancity

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 18:55 - Feb 2 by Badlands

The nearest was Mel Nurse.
But of the current shareholders only the American consortium has come up with anything.
Because of the Trust publicly saying they would never sell their shares we probably put off any and every other group that might have taken us on.
But hey, it os our right to be top three Premier League, winning trophies every year and the 'owners' handing over 100s of £millions. The likes of Messi, Mbape, Modric and De Bruyne should be queueing up to sit on our bench.

Are you trying to say that is right to discuss sale of the Club without involving the Supporters Trust until the deal was almost done?

The current owners have shown that they weren’t the right people to take the club forward despite their bravado and the bluster from Huw Jenkins in his futile attempts to justify their actions and the sale. On the contract they took it down, not forward despite the promises.

Your last paragraph is childish nonsense too. No one has ever tried to imply that.

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 20:32 - Feb 2 with 988 viewsswancity

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 20:31 - Feb 2 by swancity

Are you trying to say that is right to discuss sale of the Club without involving the Supporters Trust until the deal was almost done?

The current owners have shown that they weren’t the right people to take the club forward despite their bravado and the bluster from Huw Jenkins in his futile attempts to justify their actions and the sale. On the contract they took it down, not forward despite the promises.

Your last paragraph is childish nonsense too. No one has ever tried to imply that.

Contrary not contract

Only an idiot would eat a turkey curry on Christmas day

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 20:55 - Feb 2 with 976 viewsDr_Parnassus

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 20:31 - Feb 2 by swancity

Surely you aren’t still talking about that 6 years later?

If you have issues with recent handling of situations then happy to listen to them. But going back to a complicated stage when they didn’t even own us seems like stretching it a bit.

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 21:03 - Feb 2 with 974 viewsBoundy

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 19:58 - Feb 2 by Dr_Parnassus

That’s where there is continual confusion.

It seems to be the same people saying “we were rubbish before, so where we are is fine” with regards to mediocrity in the management department.

But then it comes to the owners it becomes “we need to be ambitious, we need to spend money”.

Surely we have to pick one? Is it fine being mediocre or do we want to be ambitious, the two are total opposites.

Well according to some it would appear the Manager & owners are not good enough and if true then we're doomed to continue to be a Club that just muddles along with no real purpose other than just to survive

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 21:16 - Feb 2 with 964 viewsDr_Parnassus

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 21:03 - Feb 2 by Boundy

Well according to some it would appear the Manager & owners are not good enough and if true then we're doomed to continue to be a Club that just muddles along with no real purpose other than just to survive

The manager isn’t good enough, I think that’s clear.

But I’m still at a loss as to what these owners have done that is so bad, other than putting in £10m of their own money, making us sustainable, giving a manager a lot of time and space than he probably deserves…

What more do people realistically want?

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 22:06 - Feb 2 with 949 viewsRhonnda_Jack

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 09:03 - Feb 2 by Dr_Parnassus

But in terms of them owning Swansea, what is your exact complaint with them?

Considering we know they are looking to run us at break even.

Considering we know they spend millions on transfers every year.

Considering we know they don’t take money out of the club.

Is it simply that they live abroad?

I couldn't watch the video as I can't look at them at the moment. It will be interesting to see what they do in the summer now.
If manning and lati walk on a free transfers.
Piroe will be sold.
What then???
Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 22:53 - Feb 2 with 930 viewsReslovenSwan1

Fact check. (Source: Press reports and Trust website.)

It was right to discuss sale of the club without involving the Trust because the Trust board member explicitly told the other board members that their shares were not up for sale and even that they would 'never be up for sale'. I can provide the press reports.

I read these comments in disbelief at the time. None of the 1000 member nor other board contested this position or corrected the stance. He was also against any change to the ownership which at that time was working well.

Huw Jenkins at the time of the Shelvey sale flagged the increasing difficulty the ownership were having with funding and competing. He pointed out extra funding would be required if the club was relegated.

Given the Trusts objections to changes it was logical to exclude them until an outline of a deal was made. Contacts were made in March 2016 and the buyers asked the Trust if its position had changed. The Trust wanted more shares not less to get to the 25% but had no money to buy them as i understand it. The sale was completed in July. A four month period. Sunderland was sold in 3 weeks.

It was absolutely clear they were not minded to selling because they had not even asked the membership their view despite an offer made in 2015. That would take 6-12 months the way they work.

The US buyer were willing to accommodate their wishes with strings that probably included drag on clauses.

Wrexham owner only bought the club on a 100% ownership basis. There was no room for Wrexham Trust who had done the heavy grind for 15 year or so. They handed over the club for pennies.

I try to educate people as best i can but it is not easy. To see the Swansea fans salivating over Reynolds and his buddy tells you the fans are not being fair. Levien and Silverstein £16m Reynolds and Mac £2m. One group of North Americans are "Yanks" and the others are "Hollywood Royalty" and shown love and deference. It says it all.

Wise sage since Toshack era

Login to get fewer ads

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 13:18 - Feb 3 with 854 viewswhiterock

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 22:53 - Feb 2 by ReslovenSwan1

It was right to discuss sale of the club without involving the Trust because the Trust board member explicitly told the other board members that their shares were not up for sale and even that they would 'never be up for sale'. I can provide the press reports.

I read these comments in disbelief at the time. None of the 1000 member nor other board contested this position or corrected the stance. He was also against any change to the ownership which at that time was working well.

Huw Jenkins at the time of the Shelvey sale flagged the increasing difficulty the ownership were having with funding and competing. He pointed out extra funding would be required if the club was relegated.

Given the Trusts objections to changes it was logical to exclude them until an outline of a deal was made. Contacts were made in March 2016 and the buyers asked the Trust if its position had changed. The Trust wanted more shares not less to get to the 25% but had no money to buy them as i understand it. The sale was completed in July. A four month period. Sunderland was sold in 3 weeks.

It was absolutely clear they were not minded to selling because they had not even asked the membership their view despite an offer made in 2015. That would take 6-12 months the way they work.

The US buyer were willing to accommodate their wishes with strings that probably included drag on clauses.

Wrexham owner only bought the club on a 100% ownership basis. There was no room for Wrexham Trust who had done the heavy grind for 15 year or so. They handed over the club for pennies.

I try to educate people as best i can but it is not easy. To see the Swansea fans salivating over Reynolds and his buddy tells you the fans are not being fair. Levien and Silverstein £16m Reynolds and Mac £2m. One group of North Americans are "Yanks" and the others are "Hollywood Royalty" and shown love and deference. It says it all.

Jenkins et al knew about this particular sale in December 2015, in fact, he signed off a pre sale agreement on behalf of 'ALL' shareholders yet he only told the Trust in mid March 2016. I agree, it wasn't too late to get in on the deal, the Trust felt, that at that time, the club was being run responsibly, sustainably and successfully, it could have pushed on with all parties pulling in the same direction for the good of Swansea City.
However, the sellers sold, the Trust didn't, we move on.
Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 13:29 - Feb 3 with 850 viewswhiterock

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 17:48 - Feb 2 by johnlangy

It's well known that the Swans are a solvent Club with not much debt. You could argue that that is the owner's main achievement. But now that we're in a sound financial state I expect a different attitude.

In my opinion if we had got in a decent forward who actually wanted to play for our Club plus a good dedicated right back that would very likely have made all the difference between making the play offs and not. If we had got Ogbene and Key for example.

We know we're getting £4 million at the end of the season for Obafemi. Even if it's down to Burnley getting promoted it's almost certain that they will. What with that money and the saving on Oba's wages plus the wage savings on the other leavers there is/was more than enough money to get those deals done. And we would still have been up a couple of million.

So why didn't they sanction those deals ? They wouldn't have had to spend a penny of their own money. And getting them in would have resulted in a probably far better end to the season with better gates and possibly play off money as well.

I don't understand it and i'm peed off.

To be honest, I don't think we'll get £4m for Obafemi, if they go up, he'll be back with us, if they don't, he will be back with that because of his attitude.
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 13:30]
Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 14:06 - Feb 3 with 830 viewsSTID2017

Malcolm Struel and many before and after him actually spent their own money to try and better/save the club.
The Yanks play with other people's money.
No different to a pension investment.
The investors have taken a chance on a large spread of companies, some like ours will seemingly not pay off, while others reward them handsomely.
Anyone that believes the Yanks have spent out of their own pockets is mistaken

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 14:46 - Feb 3 with 815 viewsBoundy

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 14:06 - Feb 3 by STID2017

Malcolm Struel and many before and after him actually spent their own money to try and better/save the club.
The Yanks play with other people's money.
No different to a pension investment.
The investors have taken a chance on a large spread of companies, some like ours will seemingly not pay off, while others reward them handsomely.
Anyone that believes the Yanks have spent out of their own pockets is mistaken

I agree , many more worthy previous owners had more of a affinity to the Club than our current lot even up to Jenkins & co initially were possible the best we have had and that shouldn't be forgotten . The yanks as you say haven't put their own money in why would they , they've displayed little or no interest in the Club since they've bought it ,Some may have forgotten that like a pensioner or having a savings account your money is invested in a number of companies purely to make the investor money and should the markets rise then so does your portfolio and if it falls t you take the hit , the trick is to spread the money around the markets to cover both scenarios Kaplan company title Oaktree Capital Management should be enough evidence to support my comments

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 15:42 - Feb 3 with 805 viewsonehunglow

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 18:31 - Feb 2 by felixstowe_jack

Our only competition are the egg chaser who share the ground even if they only average 7000 these days.

Not really
Different game
300,000 in the region is some potential
Look at the 70,000 of Burnley or 180,000 of Bournemouth , Southampton not that much bigger than Swansea either

We have every right to expect our club to challenge to return to the PL . Ask any pro where it’s best to be
At the top table
Our relegation saw too many return to small town thinking

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 16:20 - Feb 3 with 784 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 22:53 - Feb 2 by ReslovenSwan1

Not another anti trust rant. You should change the record.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 16:32 - Feb 3 with 781 viewsfelixstowe_jack

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 15:42 - Feb 3 by onehunglow

Not really
Different game
300,000 in the region is some potential
Look at the 70,000 of Burnley or 180,000 of Bournemouth , Southampton not that much bigger than Swansea either

We have every right to expect our club to challenge to return to the PL . Ask any pro where it’s best to be
At the top table
Our relegation saw too many return to small town thinking

You are not comparing like with like
Population Swansea old city 170,000. County of Swansea 394,000
Population of Southampton City Area 246,000. Southampton urban area 944,000
Population of Bournemouth urban area 519,000
Population of Burnley 96,046. Population of Lancashire excluding Manchester and Liverpool 1,235,351. Burnley draw support from a wide part of Lancashire and even parts of Yorkshire.

I will just add Ipswich as well
Population of town 136,000 population of Suffolk 763,375
Ipswich are currently averaging 25,700 an attendance Swansea could only dream about. The attracted over 25,000 for their cup tie with Burnley while we managed under 18,000 for our New year's Day with Burnley.
Ipswich sold out against Plymouth and have already sold out for their next home game v Sheffield Wednesday both 29,000
[Post edited 3 Feb 2023 16:40]

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 17:10 - Feb 3 with 771 viewsBoundy

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 16:32 - Feb 3 by felixstowe_jack

Population of Burnley 96,046. Population of Lancashire excluding Manchester and Liverpool 1,235,351. Burnley draw support from a wide part of Lancashire and even parts of Yorkshire.

Ipswich are currently averaging 25,700 an attendance Swansea could only dream about. The attracted over 25,000 for their cup tie with Burnley while we managed under 18,000 for our New year's Day with Burnley.
Ipswich sold out against Plymouth and have already sold out for their next home game v Sheffield Wednesday both 29,000

I think you need to factor in the the age , health, financial status profiles etc and not just population numbers . Swansea has a wide diverse population ( as has the others I know) with the university being one of the major increase in population albeit that rises and falls in and out of term time but with like many other Universities the opportunity to play sports is enormous,
The core of the lower Swansea valley has very high levels of deprivation which affects income and the option to spend on T STs etc . The Age of the population and health conditions are often linked and as over 65s represent 20.7% of the population that may affect the attendance and for me finally the percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years which is increasing the older age profile .

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 12:15 - Feb 6 with 698 viewswhiterock

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 17:10 - Feb 3 by Boundy

I think you need to factor in the the age , health, financial status profiles etc and not just population numbers . Swansea has a wide diverse population ( as has the others I know) with the university being one of the major increase in population albeit that rises and falls in and out of term time but with like many other Universities the opportunity to play sports is enormous,
The core of the lower Swansea valley has very high levels of deprivation which affects income and the option to spend on T STs etc . The Age of the population and health conditions are often linked and as over 65s represent 20.7% of the population that may affect the attendance and for me finally the percentage of the population that is of working-age has decreased over the last 10 years which is increasing the older age profile .

Our fan base is certainly global these days, mainly from our foray in the PL, don't quote me on this but our social media platforms are well over 1 million, where many clubs of our stature struggle for half a million, Cardiff for instance is something like 350,000.
Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 13:50 - Feb 6 with 654 viewsBadlands

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 19:30 - Feb 2 by Boundy

You keep banging the same drum about PL status , no one has to the best of my knowledge has posted that we are entitled to be there playing, what's been posted is what appears to be the lack of direction to get us there , it looks like your ambition for the Club is to plateau at Championship level and be grateful for it

Really! Then what is the beef about being where we are?

Poll: Should the summer transfer window close before the season starts?

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 14:08 - Feb 6 with 650 viewsonehunglow

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 16:32 - Feb 3 by felixstowe_jack

And I could show figures different to those
Burnley has very loyal fans and takes in the likes of Colne towards Yorks. When in Yorks, you ll fond Leeds overwhelming favourites . I know the area well.
Blackburn is a sizeable town and ten mins away as is Preston. All those three towns attract overwhelmingly local people.The plebs support Manchester Utd or Liverpool.

As I s@, Swansea has no competition at all and like Ipswich attracts all of Suffolk Swansea should attract all of S/ W Wales.

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 14:23 - Feb 6 with 647 viewsjojaca

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 14:08 - Feb 6 by onehunglow

And I could show figures different to those
Burnley has very loyal fans and takes in the likes of Colne towards Yorks. When in Yorks, you ll fond Leeds overwhelming favourites . I know the area well.
Blackburn is a sizeable town and ten mins away as is Preston. All those three towns attract overwhelmingly local people.The plebs support Manchester Utd or Liverpool.

As I s@, Swansea has no competition at all and like Ipswich attracts all of Suffolk Swansea should attract all of S/ W Wales.

We didn't hook in enough supporters during the PL years because the stadium was too small. We would probably average over 30k if we had bigger stadium in Premier League. Didn't we take over 40k for play off final/carling cup final. I personally think welsh fans jump on the bandwagon with success, similar to Wrexham now, we are not so hardcore and loyal like some teams over the bridge.

Even when you know, you never know?

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 14:58 - Feb 6 with 634 viewsonehunglow

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 14:23 - Feb 6 by jojaca

We didn't hook in enough supporters during the PL years because the stadium was too small. We would probably average over 30k if we had bigger stadium in Premier League. Didn't we take over 40k for play off final/carling cup final. I personally think welsh fans jump on the bandwagon with success, similar to Wrexham now, we are not so hardcore and loyal like some teams over the bridge.

I remember getting pellets when I was going on about those who lowered the capacity.
Had it been bigger,we could have attracted Wales game for a start.
The marketing of us during th3 PL was nothin* less than scandalous.
I remember so well the joy of promotion day and the dreams o& my Dad 5 see us oat the top table again. I have not yet gotten over our fall and never will.

We gave away a generation

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 20:06 - Feb 6 with 607 viewsSTID2017

Surely the question should be " Has any previous owner spent more of their personal wealth - as a percentage - than these ones ? "
I cannot claim to know how much the current owners have in personal wealth, nor do I know how much any of our previous owners had in personal wealth.
However, let's assume Jake S has $200 million dollars and has therefore ( according to Dr P) invested $16 million. This is 8%
So if we assume that Dougie Sharp was actually worth a million pounds as the song on the North Bank went, and invested £100k. This is 10%
Not enough is known of course with regards to personal wealth vis a vis investment.
So I feel the constant championing of Jake S is meaningless.
He, like the other two Americans and the reported investors in their syndicate care nothing for our club.
Unless there is a reversal in the attitude it could see us go further down the football league

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 20:47 - Feb 6 with 595 viewsDr_Parnassus

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 20:06 - Feb 6 by STID2017

Surely the question should be " Has any previous owner spent more of their personal wealth - as a percentage - than these ones ? "
I cannot claim to know how much the current owners have in personal wealth, nor do I know how much any of our previous owners had in personal wealth.
However, let's assume Jake S has $200 million dollars and has therefore ( according to Dr P) invested $16 million. This is 8%
So if we assume that Dougie Sharp was actually worth a million pounds as the song on the North Bank went, and invested £100k. This is 10%
Not enough is known of course with regards to personal wealth vis a vis investment.
So I feel the constant championing of Jake S is meaningless.
He, like the other two Americans and the reported investors in their syndicate care nothing for our club.
Unless there is a reversal in the attitude it could see us go further down the football league

But that’s a rubbish question.

I’d rather someone worth £50m invest £15m in us than someone worth 100k invest 75k in us. The whole point of this is “amount”.

So in answer to my question, I assume by the fact you want to change it… the answer is no then?

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 21:19 - Feb 6 with 573 viewsSTID2017

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 20:47 - Feb 6 by Dr_Parnassus

But that’s a rubbish question.

I’d rather someone worth £50m invest £15m in us than someone worth 100k invest 75k in us. The whole point of this is “amount”.

So in answer to my question, I assume by the fact you want to change it… the answer is no then?

If any of the current owner or owners have actually invested £16 million from their own personal fortune then I concede.
I just cannot believe that any of them are that rich that they can afford to invest and possibly lose that amount of money from their personal fortune.
Maybe from their investment company but that is not personal fortune

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 21:26 - Feb 6 with 562 viewsDr_Winston

Have any other previous owners spent more than these ones? on 21:19 - Feb 6 by STID2017

If any of the current owner or owners have actually invested £16 million from their own personal fortune then I concede.
I just cannot believe that any of them are that rich that they can afford to invest and possibly lose that amount of money from their personal fortune.
Maybe from their investment company but that is not personal fortune

Kaplan could easily afford it. Two of the other co-founders of Oaktree Capital are Billionaires. Even if he isn't he's not far off.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024