Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
One more ban from Cardiff Bay 17:06 - Oct 23 with 1111 viewsAnotherJohn

Those who know better than mere voters have unveiled one more ban - glue traps for rats and mice - as part of the Agriculture (Wales) Act. It was the only thing that would work for me when I had a mouse infestation some years ago. No doubt many more legislative bans feature in the Senedd's plans. Pity we can't lay down a few mats in the corridors of power - more rats than mice there.
One more ban from Cardiff Bay on 18:06 - Oct 23 with 1081 viewsFlashberryjack

They'll be banning fly swats and killing rats next, as they are taking advice off Chris Packham.

Hello
Poll: Should the Senedd be Abolished

One more ban from Cardiff Bay on 20:44 - Oct 23 with 1014 viewsmajorraglan

The ban on glue traps was introduced as the method is indiscriminate and other species including pets were being caught in them and was supported by the majority of those who participated in the consultation exercise.

I think a balanced approach would have been a better approach whereby their use would be permitted in houses, garages attached to houses, kitchens, hotels etc but banned in outside locations where they posed a risk to other species.
One more ban from Cardiff Bay on 23:04 - Oct 23 with 960 viewsDJack

One more ban from Cardiff Bay on 20:44 - Oct 23 by majorraglan

The ban on glue traps was introduced as the method is indiscriminate and other species including pets were being caught in them and was supported by the majority of those who participated in the consultation exercise.

I think a balanced approach would have been a better approach whereby their use would be permitted in houses, garages attached to houses, kitchens, hotels etc but banned in outside locations where they posed a risk to other species.

Your mistake is using actual (reported) facts...just run with faux outrage mun, it's the modern way.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

One more ban from Cardiff Bay on 09:25 - Oct 24 with 908 viewsAnotherJohn

One more ban from Cardiff Bay on 23:04 - Oct 23 by DJack

Your mistake is using actual (reported) facts...just run with faux outrage mun, it's the modern way.

It is easy to make the case against a particular ban, but the real issue is the expansion of law to progressively limit the range of behaviours - and even attitudes - that are tolerated. Governments always try to shape the behaviour of their populations, but the old way was to encourage rather than mandate certain behaviours and get people to govern themselves through their own judgements of what was right or wrong - "steering" of a more subtle kind. What changes when law is used io proscribe more and more things is that the new rules are harder to change when one government is replaced by another. This is especially true on the international plain when countries sign up to treaties and associated legal constraints that national electorates find it extremely difficult to undo. Is it faux outrage to object to that long-term trend whereby over time legal rules are piled upon rules?
One more ban from Cardiff Bay on 00:05 - Oct 25 with 816 viewsDJack

One more ban from Cardiff Bay on 09:25 - Oct 24 by AnotherJohn

It is easy to make the case against a particular ban, but the real issue is the expansion of law to progressively limit the range of behaviours - and even attitudes - that are tolerated. Governments always try to shape the behaviour of their populations, but the old way was to encourage rather than mandate certain behaviours and get people to govern themselves through their own judgements of what was right or wrong - "steering" of a more subtle kind. What changes when law is used io proscribe more and more things is that the new rules are harder to change when one government is replaced by another. This is especially true on the international plain when countries sign up to treaties and associated legal constraints that national electorates find it extremely difficult to undo. Is it faux outrage to object to that long-term trend whereby over time legal rules are piled upon rules?

Oddly enough, I do sometimes worry about laws being made and used to shape/steer the public...but this one is quite obviously not one of them.

It is far better to grasp the universe as it really is than to persist in delusion, however satisfying and reassuring. - Carl Sagan

One more ban from Cardiff Bay on 09:37 - Oct 25 with 765 viewsAnotherJohn

One more ban from Cardiff Bay on 00:05 - Oct 25 by DJack

Oddly enough, I do sometimes worry about laws being made and used to shape/steer the public...but this one is quite obviously not one of them.

The distinction being drawn was between law and other forms of political steering (there is quite a large political science literature in that area as well as the social science stuff on "action at a distance" . When people use words such as obvious or clear to come down on one side of an argument it is a sure sign that there is real controversy. In this case many in the pest control industry are not happy. Majoraglan suggested a more focussed measure that I think could have been more acceptable. Your mention of faux outrage as a modern trend seemed to relate to more than a single law, and i think gets tradition and modernity mixed up, as it is juridification and the expansion of law into new areas that is the modern trend,
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024