Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Hammersmith Palais 21:09 - Oct 22 with 6802 viewsPunteR

I seem to remember someone posting a YouTube video of footage from the 70s in colour of a Saturday night in the palais. It's way before my time but wanted to show my mother in law who used to be a regular down there and will probably know some faces. She also met my wife's dad there.
If someone knows it, could you please post on here as I can't find it on YouTube.
Many thanks in advance.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Hammersmith Palais on 19:17 - Oct 23 with 1723 viewsdigswellhoop

my dad was on lighting the artist in 60s
Hammersmith Palais on 19:44 - Oct 23 with 1691 viewscolinallcars

The place was never the same after Victor Sylvester packed it in.
Hammersmith Palais on 20:02 - Aug 15 with 1443 viewsmr_spock

Hammersmith Palais on 11:21 - Oct 23 by W13R

Am I dreaming or was there a band called Luna Park who used to come on for half an hour on Saturday nights in the 80's?

I registered just to answer this! Yes, I was Luna Park's sound engineer at the Palais for a while. It was more than half an hour, we did 3 or 4 nights a week, I think a couple of hours each time. They were technically brilliant - could learn a new to 10 hit in minutes and have all the sounds, harmonies, the lot! The bass player ran the band, he was super loud. I never could put him through the PA... the sound tech used to be in Amen Corner I think.
Hammersmith Palais on 20:38 - Aug 15 with 1365 viewsLongsufferingR

Several of my best ever gigs were there in the 80s. Usually came out with a fair few bruises. Ramones, Killing Joke, Smiths, Siouxsie and the Banshees etc etc
Hammersmith Palais on 20:59 - Aug 15 with 1322 viewsNorthantsHoop

Hammersmith Palais on 20:38 - Aug 15 by LongsufferingR

Several of my best ever gigs were there in the 80s. Usually came out with a fair few bruises. Ramones, Killing Joke, Smiths, Siouxsie and the Banshees etc etc

Yes saw some great gigs at the Palais, Siouxsie & The Banshees, Bauhaus and Echo & The Bunnymen. Good on Saturday night there in the early 80s band followed by a Disco, always pretty easy to get in less restrictions than some other nightclub venues.
Hammersmith Palais on 21:06 - Aug 15 with 1300 viewsGroveR

Hammersmith Palais on 23:24 - Oct 22 by stevec

The nightclub of last resort. We used to go to the Palais whenever we’d left the pub too late to get in anywhere else.

It was very down market compared to what was around elsewhere in the late 70’s, early 80’s but once you’d got over yourselves it was usually a good laugh.

In the 90s the Palais wasn't even the worst nightclub in Hammersmith. When Obi-Wan Kenobi warns Luke Skywalker "you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy", he's actually describing a Saturday night at Rumours on Glenthorne Road.

And then there was the Balkan on Portobello (Tesco Disco) and Angelos in Westbourne Grove. Truly mentally scarring.
Hammersmith Palais on 22:19 - Aug 15 with 1235 viewsBlackCrowe

Saw Massive Attach and (ahem) Gary Gliiter (ironic student christmas gig). Though not on the same bill. My Mum claims her and Dad saw the Beatles there but i can't find any record of it.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

Hammersmith Palais on 22:34 - Aug 15 with 1196 viewsted_hendrix

Hammersmith Palais on 22:19 - Aug 15 by BlackCrowe

Saw Massive Attach and (ahem) Gary Gliiter (ironic student christmas gig). Though not on the same bill. My Mum claims her and Dad saw the Beatles there but i can't find any record of it.

They might be confused with the Hammersmith Odeon where they did play twice?

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Login to get fewer ads

Hammersmith Palais on 22:36 - Aug 15 with 1191 viewsRs_Holy

it stayed like that until the mid 80's when it became Le Palais... Went a bit poncey and even had a ViP balcony where it was invite only. I remember going once and everyone was super excited because Frankie Goes to Hollywood were in the VIP suite...hilarious really... happy days.
Hammersmith Palais on 22:49 - Aug 15 with 1179 viewshubble

Saw Iggy Pop supported by the Psychedelic Furs at the Palais in 1980. Epic gig and I got off with my favourite ever girlfriend. All in all, a memorable night!

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Hammersmith Palais on 23:18 - Aug 15 with 1136 viewsBoston

Hammersmith Palais on 22:49 - Aug 15 by hubble

Saw Iggy Pop supported by the Psychedelic Furs at the Palais in 1980. Epic gig and I got off with my favourite ever girlfriend. All in all, a memorable night!

ah, believe I was there as well - and if you'd kindly take your hand off my arse....

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Hammersmith Palais on 23:24 - Aug 15 with 1127 viewshubble

Hammersmith Palais on 23:18 - Aug 15 by Boston

ah, believe I was there as well - and if you'd kindly take your hand off my arse....

Somehow I found her more attractive than you mate ;-)

One song immediately springs to mind that the Furs played that night, still sends shivers down my spine... oh to be 19 again, listening to this live with the most beautiful girl I'd ever met...

Poll: Who is your player of the season?

Hammersmith Palais on 23:34 - Aug 15 with 1112 viewsBoston

Told this story before but...saw Iggy at the Electric Ballroom, must have been '82ish. Knew this long haired fellah who was working there and he let me and a mate up backstage. Anyway, when Mr Pop went on, we nipped into his dressing room and would you believe it, there were bags of pills scattered in front of his big mirror. Well, we didn't want to be greedy, so just took a few, a largish red one caught my eye, don't know what it was but I was fcked for 48 hours.

Hammersmith Palais on 00:06 - Aug 16 with 1082 viewsPunteR

Hammersmith Palais on 23:34 - Aug 15 by Boston

Told this story before but...saw Iggy at the Electric Ballroom, must have been '82ish. Knew this long haired fellah who was working there and he let me and a mate up backstage. Anyway, when Mr Pop went on, we nipped into his dressing room and would you believe it, there were bags of pills scattered in front of his big mirror. Well, we didn't want to be greedy, so just took a few, a largish red one caught my eye, don't know what it was but I was fcked for 48 hours.

The red pill?.

Occasional providers of half decent House music.

Hammersmith Palais on 00:42 - Aug 16 with 1055 viewskensalriser

Hammersmith Palais on 23:34 - Aug 15 by Boston

Ludes?

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Hammersmith Palais on 01:19 - Aug 16 with 1031 viewsBoston

Hammersmith Palais on 00:42 - Aug 16 by kensalriser

Ludes?

Que?

Hammersmith Palais on 07:37 - Aug 16 with 945 viewsRamseyR

Was a regular there for gigs early 80s
Saw Theatre of Hate, Siouxsie, Southern Death Cult, B52s , Meteors, Cramps, Killing Joke there and I'm sure there's others I can't recall. Cracking venue.
Also a few club nights...late 80s with mates.
Hammersmith Palais on 10:07 - Aug 16 with 861 viewspaulhoop2

Good old Skool Disco nights there in the 90s very early 00s .

Poll: Now it’s slightly clearer cut who do you want as manager ?

Hammersmith Palais on 10:09 - Aug 16 with 858 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Hammersmith Palais on 09:25 - Oct 23 by NorthantsHoop

Early 80s used to go to the Palais, as mentioned earlier always easy to get in on Saturday if you had been refused elsewhere. Also great venue for gigs saw Bauhaus, Siouxsie & The Banshees and Echo & The Bunnymen there around the same time.

Yes, it was a great venue. I saw Siouxsie/The Cure there. I think the Undertones (with the most encores I have ever seen, in fact too many in the end) and my beloved New Order
Hammersmith Palais on 10:22 - Aug 16 with 849 viewsNortholt_Rs

Hammersmith Palais on 22:34 - Aug 15 by ted_hendrix

They might be confused with the Hammersmith Odeon where they did play twice?

Yep prob the Hammersmith Odeon. My mum and dad saw them there in 1965. The old man said he couldn’t hear a note they played due to the wall of noise from screaming girls.

Scooters, Tunes, Trainers and QPR.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024