Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Downes, and out 16:58 - Nov 27 with 8311 viewsAndyCole

A waste of a midfield slot behind Grimes

We are so too defensive with Downes anchoring Grimes.

In the 94rd minute today he was our last man defender, wtf.

He had moments previously flunked his lines in a 'Back 4 ', gifting Reading a corner in the dying minutes.

Yet some on here have wanted him to replace our very Best player, captain and leader. Grimesy. Twp as.

[Post edited 27 Nov 2021 16:59]

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Downes, and out on 16:41 - Jan 15 with 1215 viewsmax936

Downes been different class this half at least, besides the goal.

Poll: Will it Snow this coming Winter

Downes, and out on 16:42 - Jan 15 with 1205 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Downes, and out on 16:41 - Jan 15 by max936

I’m delighted for him

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Downes, and out on 16:43 - Jan 15 with 1203 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Downes, and out on 16:41 - Jan 15 by max936

Downes and in!!!!!

Downes, and out on 17:22 - Jan 15 with 1152 viewsAndyCole

Downes, and out on 23:04 - Jan 12 by AndyCole

Leon was the epitome of heads up football, thinking at least three steps ahead.

Downs needs to learn to look up and think ahead. Simplz.

If he does this, keeps learning off Grimesy, watches the Leon videos, watches the Chelsea tape from this eve, learns to be proactive, thinks before he reacts and lunges and gets yellow cards, plays forward heads up football, instead of too simplistic give 'n take heads down unintelligent football, he has a chance.

5/10 at best for what we need in that space right now. No wonder the recruitment team are looking for further options in an already packed midfield.

Fortunately for us, Downes has been tuned in to this thread.

2nd half he was a different player, played alongside Grimesy in an attacking high pivot. A joy to behold, in so many ways.

The concern is that when we were up against it, his go-to position is to drop way too deep, heroically defending our defence with a desperate lunge or three.

Let's hope Grimesy continues to nurture and develop this fine young talent to continue to watch the tapes, tune in to Swansea Independent for the objective, candid constructive critique and kick on. The formula is working, it seems.

Pro free speech and alternative opinions - Anti gang-bullying and poor modding thereof - Will always make a stand against those who consistently choose to turn a blind eye

Downes, and out on 20:34 - Jan 15 with 1081 viewsmagicdaps10

Downes, and out on 17:22 - Jan 15 by AndyCole

Fortunately for us, Downes has been tuned in to this thread.

2nd half he was a different player, played alongside Grimesy in an attacking high pivot. A joy to behold, in so many ways.

The concern is that when we were up against it, his go-to position is to drop way too deep, heroically defending our defence with a desperate lunge or three.

Let's hope Grimesy continues to nurture and develop this fine young talent to continue to watch the tapes, tune in to Swansea Independent for the objective, candid constructive critique and kick on. The formula is working, it seems.

It was hopefully going to work and this season was about transition and building a foundation after all the upheavel during the summer.

That last bit that you type is so refreshing to read, a slight chunk of light that you can see that Martin, staff and players are capable to adapt and make progress.

Despite the angle to heap praise on Grimes for Downes good performance, your post was a step in the right direction towards a bit of positivity.

Poll: Are the owners doing enough for Swansea City

Downes, and out on 22:50 - Jan 15 with 1022 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Downes, and out on 20:34 - Jan 15 by magicdaps10

It was hopefully going to work and this season was about transition and building a foundation after all the upheavel during the summer.

That last bit that you type is so refreshing to read, a slight chunk of light that you can see that Martin, staff and players are capable to adapt and make progress.

Despite the angle to heap praise on Grimes for Downes good performance, your post was a step in the right direction towards a bit of positivity.

You’re very polite fair play. Grimes was at his useless mediocre best and one shot aside contributed little.

Downes, and out on 23:53 - Jan 15 with 992 viewsmagicdaps10

Downes, and out on 22:50 - Jan 15 by Brynmill_Jack

You’re very polite fair play. Grimes was at his useless mediocre best and one shot aside contributed little.

I try.

I don't think the original post has aged well, Downes is getting a lot of praise and the poster takes every attempt to praise Matt Grimes! Grimes needs to up his game s lot more this season and in comparison to Downes in performance, non comparable!

I think the original post is more a dig aimed at Martin rather than Downes as he was Martin's marquee signing.

I think if any questions were to be asked for any of our midfielders, Grimes woukd be the one doing more answering than any other this season aswell as last season.

Downes, and out on 09:57 - Jan 16 with 920 viewsonehunglow

We really truly do not need Grimes.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Login to get fewer ads

Downes, and out on 10:54 - Jan 16 with 906 viewsmagicdaps10

Downes, and out on 09:57 - Jan 16 by onehunglow

We really truly do not need Grimes.

All I can say, if a post questioning Downes as got to 5 pages then one with Grimes should be around 15 at the same stage as this one.

Grimes has under performed so badly for the last few seasons, under Potter he was superb and looked like he would make the step up. There is a player in there but the clock is ticking for Grimes, glad he signed his contract because I know what he can do but with Downes here, wouldn't have worried too much if he had gone.

Downes, and out on 11:00 - Jan 16 with 895 viewsDr_Parnassus

Downes, and out on 10:54 - Jan 16 by magicdaps10

All I can say, if a post questioning Downes as got to 5 pages then one with Grimes should be around 15 at the same stage as this one.

Grimes has under performed so badly for the last few seasons, under Potter he was superb and looked like he would make the step up. There is a player in there but the clock is ticking for Grimes, glad he signed his contract because I know what he can do but with Downes here, wouldn't have worried too much if he had gone.

Patience.

He’s in a transitional few seasons.
[Post edited 16 Jan 2022 11:01]

Swansea Independent Poster of the Year 2021 and 2022.
Poll: Would you swap Ayew for Piroe?

Downes, and out on 11:03 - Jan 16 with 887 viewsonehunglow

Downes, and out on 10:54 - Jan 16 by magicdaps10

Downes is streets ahead of Grimes in every way.
He would have been,had he been with us last season.
A player messed about by Martin ,arguably our most crucial player and the last to be subbed .

Downes, and out on 11:19 - Jan 16 with 884 viewsmagicdaps10

Downes, and out on 11:03 - Jan 16 by onehunglow

Downes is streets ahead of Grimes in every way.
He would have been,had he been with us last season.
A player messed about by Martin ,arguably our most crucial player and the last to be subbed .

Don't forget that Downes is only 22 and playing in a division higher. People are starting to really take note on Downes, Martin can't be doing to bad with him considering the admiring looks and comments coming his way.

He is a superb player and will only get better and Martin has a stly to get a player perform.... Ask Piroe, he responded to it with a little groan But it's not worked with Obefami who just sulked and threw his toys out of the pram! Downes has been dealt similar but it shows a superb character in the way he has just got on with it, no fuss and is just going down the route and just wanting to play.

Downes, and out on 17:06 - Jan 16 with 838 viewsYouBackJastard

Are we just going to endlessly rotate between Grimes and Downes as scapegoats depending on who’s scored the latest goal? Both are fine top top end Championship midfielders with easily enough potential to break that Prem barrier.
Downes, and out on 17:48 - Jan 16 with 803 viewspencoedjack

Downes, and out on 07:32 - Jan 13 by magicdaps10

Maybe it's just me but I think Downes has been excellent and think he is only going to improve.

I think once we get the defenders in we need then Downes will then be used 100% as a central midfielder, Grimes was excellent against Soton and hopefully can push on from that. A midfield of Grimes, Downes and Ntcham is an exciting prospect.

Certainly not.

Downes is a cracking player.

A lot of drivel written by the OP
Downes, and out on 21:47 - Jan 16 with 763 viewsAndyCole

Oh dear, as predicted the twps (jealously) respond to the intelligent, informed poster instead of the intelligent post.

Nil points, for the many. Bar the odd exception. For the very first time, Downes' shackles came off in the 2nd half. He did very little of his usual detrimental stuff.

If anybody engaged the brain to read, think, digest and respond accordingly instead of the shallow bile cheaply hurled, they would see how Downes was Unleashed of the shackles and kicked on. No doubt nurtured by Capt. Grimesy to follow his lead, into the final third. Gone was the superfluous tiki taka with no end product.

It was a joy to behold, to see Grimesy and then (less assuredly) Downesy play in the red zone. And make the difference some us have been crying out for, for far too long.

Grimesy Unleashed (time to dig out that thread....), and now Downes Unleashed.......

The concern is that we are capable of playing on the front foot from the off, not just when we're Downs and out, chasing a game, as per. Opponents quickly pick us off, then defend, knowing we mostly just tiki taka - back, forth, sideways and back again.

For me, the key to this is to secure a solid, go-fwd ball-playing CH. This will allow Downes to kick on, not worry about playing some CDM/CH hybrid and stymie our go-fwd.

For me, that needle in the haystack is:

Harry Darling.

Fisher - Darling - Grimes-Downes - Ntcham-Pato - Piroe

Downes, and out on 22:24 - Jan 16 with 740 viewsChief

Downes, and out on 21:47 - Jan 16 by AndyCole

Oh dear, as predicted the twps (jealously) respond to the intelligent, informed poster instead of the intelligent post.

Nil points, for the many. Bar the odd exception. For the very first time, Downes' shackles came off in the 2nd half. He did very little of his usual detrimental stuff.

If anybody engaged the brain to read, think, digest and respond accordingly instead of the shallow bile cheaply hurled, they would see how Downes was Unleashed of the shackles and kicked on. No doubt nurtured by Capt. Grimesy to follow his lead, into the final third. Gone was the superfluous tiki taka with no end product.

It was a joy to behold, to see Grimesy and then (less assuredly) Downesy play in the red zone. And make the difference some us have been crying out for, for far too long.

Grimesy Unleashed (time to dig out that thread....), and now Downes Unleashed.......

The concern is that we are capable of playing on the front foot from the off, not just when we're Downs and out, chasing a game, as per. Opponents quickly pick us off, then defend, knowing we mostly just tiki taka - back, forth, sideways and back again.

For me, the key to this is to secure a solid, go-fwd ball-playing CH. This will allow Downes to kick on, not worry about playing some CDM/CH hybrid and stymie our go-fwd.

For me, that needle in the haystack is:

Harry Darling.

Fisher - Darling - Grimes-Downes - Ntcham-Pato - Piroe

Pato?

Are you sure?

Poll: Rate the ref's performance today

Downes, and out on 22:28 - Jan 16 with 737 viewsAndyCole

Downes, and out on 22:24 - Jan 16 by Chief

Pato?

Are you sure?

We live in hope Chief.

One of our best AMs in some time, coulda woulda made the difference last term with Piroe up top. Let's hope he and we recover from today's media frenzy.

Downes, and out on 09:38 - Jan 17 with 666 viewsonehunglow

Downes, and out on 11:19 - Jan 16 by magicdaps10

Don't forget that Downes is only 22 and playing in a division higher. People are starting to really take note on Downes, Martin can't be doing to bad with him considering the admiring looks and comments coming his way.

He is a superb player and will only get better and Martin has a stly to get a player perform.... Ask Piroe, he responded to it with a little groan But it's not worked with Obefami who just sulked and threw his toys out of the pram! Downes has been dealt similar but it shows a superb character in the way he has just got on with it, no fuss and is just going down the route and just wanting to play.

Fair cplay moment but think MRtin now realises how good a player is Flynn

He is an absolute beast of a player and for him to get his first goal warmed my cockles.
Hopefully, Russ will never again waste him at centre half .
He is no central defender but a complete midfielder and leader

Downes, and out on 18:22 - Feb 19 with 514 viewsAndyCole

Time for a bit of balance with all the deflection this eve.

Downs was shown up for being the L1 cast off he is.

Grimes had to cover for both him and calamitous Cabango. In so many ways.

Even Leon would have struggled to juggle, at his pomp.

The way in which the Grimes haters have latched on to Downs is beyond laughable and indicative of their lack of footballing intelligence.

Winstone the stand out who famously penned ' I must be missing something', and the twp sheeple followed, like BJ. Clearly never kicked a ball.

Downs is improving under Grimes' tutelage - but not to the extent the twps claim, not by a long shot unfortunately - hence today's beasting.
[Post edited 19 Feb 2022 18:23]

Downes, and out on 18:41 - Feb 19 with 490 viewsonehunglow

Downes, and out on 18:22 - Feb 19 by AndyCole

The way in which the Grimes haters have latched on to Downs is beyond laughable and indicative of their lack of footballing intelligence.

Winstone the stand out who famously penned ' I must be missing something', and the twp sheeple followed, like BJ. Clearly never kicked a ball.

Downs is improving under Grimes' tutelage - but not to the extent the twps claim, not by a long shot unfortunately - hence today's beasting.

Couldn't disagree with you more.

Still,have a noson llawen

Downes, and out on 07:35 - Feb 20 with 442 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Downes, and out on 18:22 - Feb 19 by AndyCole

Have you sought psychiatric treatment for your narcissism? If not you really should.

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024