Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it 01:39 - Dec 13 with 9467 viewsbob566

Watching thin Lizzy on BBC. BBC reckons that thin Lizzy were one of the best bands out there with little recognition. They were about to conquer usa but Gary Moore pulled out at the last minute. Midge ure replaced him. Ughh
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 07:05 - Dec 13 with 5102 viewsSK_hoops

How did Thin Lizzy get little recognition? They had 9 top 10 albums.
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 07:37 - Dec 13 with 5070 viewsPaddyhoops

Seen the documentary. Superb.
Question of did they fall short??
Huge in Europe, here and Australia and hardly a failure in the USA.
Had the pleasure of seeing them live on numerous occasions. Class act and still hard to believe he was only 36 when he passed.
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 07:46 - Dec 13 with 5059 viewsLoftgirl

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 07:37 - Dec 13 by Paddyhoops

Seen the documentary. Superb.
Question of did they fall short??
Huge in Europe, here and Australia and hardly a failure in the USA.
Had the pleasure of seeing them live on numerous occasions. Class act and still hard to believe he was only 36 when he passed.

I lost count how many times I saw Thin Lizzy. They seemed to tour every other month. Always a good night.
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 08:17 - Dec 13 with 5022 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Robertson got stabbed the night before a US tour in his hand so that was another missed opportunity.

The Wildhearts should have been bigger in my opinion, they were just a few years too late.

Dimmu Borgir and Eluvietie are two examples of why you don't sack popular band members when you seem to be taking off.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 10:03 - Dec 13 with 4911 viewsCroydonCaptJack

The Sound were the most underrated band for me. They seem to have been recognised in recent years but at the time I often saw them playing to very small audiences.
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 10:08 - Dec 13 with 4902 viewsMrSheen

The Scars, heroin to blame I heard. Amazing in their very brief prime.
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 10:46 - Dec 13 with 4857 viewsEsox_Lucius

The Fratellis. Phenomenal debut album then almost nothing. Similar case with The Wombats.

The grass is always greener.

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 10:59 - Dec 13 with 4835 viewsNW5Hoop

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 10:46 - Dec 13 by Esox_Lucius

The Fratellis. Phenomenal debut album then almost nothing. Similar case with The Wombats.

The Wombats are bigger than ever. Played arenas on their last tour, bafflingly.
Login to get fewer ads

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 11:04 - Dec 13 with 4832 viewsRs_Holy

Squeeze, Feeder, Doves
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 11:48 - Dec 13 with 4766 viewsQPRSteve

Gentle Giant get far more recognition now than they ever did before they disbanded. Far better than Genesis with whom they were often compared too.

Caravan is another band that fell below the radar.
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 12:05 - Dec 13 with 4710 viewsCroydonCaptJack

Lots of bands being named here who made it.
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 12:10 - Dec 13 with 4704 viewskensalriser

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 12:05 - Dec 13 by CroydonCaptJack

Lots of bands being named here who made it.

Yeah, Squeeze were massive!

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 12:29 - Dec 13 with 4678 viewsdanehoop

Agree with lots of suggestions here, Fratellis never seemed to make the big jump after the debt album. I guess something similar with Feeder, came out the same time as Brit Pop and seemingly still going, but not sure they ever quite got the commercial recognition that they probably deserved.

I'd probably drop Franz Ferdinand in similar pile. Great debit album and singles, but never quite followed up on the early success.

Never knowingly understood

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 13:22 - Dec 13 with 4616 viewsSonofNorfolt

As with Lizzy in the States read UFO.
Released best one of the best live albums ever and Michael Schenker left just when it was starting to happen for them.
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 13:25 - Dec 13 with 4607 viewsSK_hoops

Leatherface. Have a sort of cult following, but missed out when punk had its big renaissance in the early to mid 90s.
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 13:46 - Dec 13 with 4579 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

A band I thought had all the ingredients to make it big was Yeasayer. I think they had a bit of a bust up at one stage and in reality they were probably just a little too leftfield.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 13:58 - Dec 13 with 4563 viewsTonto

The Fratellis split up after a massive falling out didnt they?

Great first album though

Why stop now, just when I'm hating it
Poll: Is it essential that QPR stay in the Borough of H&F?

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 14:34 - Dec 13 with 4520 viewsBostonR

Budgie - should have been massive!
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 14:35 - Dec 13 with 4524 viewsngbqpr

The Only Ones.

Fell down the crack between punk & radio friendly punchy pop?

Despite their drug issues, they produced three albums full of superb songs, exquisitely played, and not ruined by some inappropriate choice of producer. Somewhere between Squeeze and Buzzcocks.

CBS as a label at that time did their best to ruin so many good bands. Never really 'got' The Clash, got it all wrong with Spear of Destiny by trying to dull their edge and market Kirk B as a pin up, and were bailed out from ballsing up the Psychedelic Furs when Pretty in Pink was chosen for that movie.

Poll: Best hug a stranger / fall down five rows / 'limbs' late goals this season

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 15:05 - Dec 13 with 4480 viewsBoston

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 12:10 - Dec 13 by kensalriser

Yeah, Squeeze were massive!

Still have their badge featuring a clenching muscle bound type from a gig at the Marquee in ‘78.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 15:37 - Dec 13 with 4465 viewshantssi

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 12:29 - Dec 13 by danehoop

Agree with lots of suggestions here, Fratellis never seemed to make the big jump after the debt album. I guess something similar with Feeder, came out the same time as Brit Pop and seemingly still going, but not sure they ever quite got the commercial recognition that they probably deserved.

I'd probably drop Franz Ferdinand in similar pile. Great debit album and singles, but never quite followed up on the early success.

Feeder still going strong, saw them at Victorious this year.
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 19:11 - Dec 13 with 4344 viewsthemodfather

as much as i like the jam, dr feelgood and nine below zero were both excellent and i'd throw in XTC too.
but how is success measured? the who never had a uk no 1 single! westlife had effing nearly 20??
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 19:22 - Dec 13 with 4319 viewsdistortR

Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 13:25 - Dec 13 by SK_hoops

Leatherface. Have a sort of cult following, but missed out when punk had its big renaissance in the early to mid 90s.

Love Leatherface, I don't know how 'big' they could have expected to be, hugely influential in that genre.
'Mush' was probably the peak of their popularity, 'Minx' was a quite different and lower key follow up, not so immediate.
I had 'Dog Disco' on repeat in the van a couple of weeks ago, mind.
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 19:36 - Dec 13 with 4293 viewsNorthantsHoop

Great hard rock band saw them a couple of times, Phil Lynott such a brilliant front man. Black Rose released in 1979 with Gary Moore as twin lead guitarist was really their last great album. Lynott was descending into major drug use with Scott Gorham and Moore left. At this point a new wave of heavy metal was taking off and think Lizzy were probably trying to straddle this with their audience but they were not one of the titans of this era, AC/DC, Judas Priest, Van Halen were starting to dominate.
Greatest bands that fell short/never made it on 19:49 - Dec 13 with 4279 viewsderbyhoop

Maccabees?

Saw them supporting Kasabian, but sound was so distorted.

Stone the Crows - support band to Led Zep on tour in 1973

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024