Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Florida punish Disney 12:06 - Apr 21 with 5870 viewsLorax

For not being bigoted,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/florida-senate-passes-bill-to-strip-disney-

Now I'm not part of the woke brigade but schools are there to educate about issues not ignore them.
Florida punish Disney on 12:02 - Apr 22 with 1294 viewsLorax

Florida punish Disney on 10:39 - Apr 22 by Gwyn737

As always, lots of hyperbole on this subject about young children being 'taught' about LGBT (whatever that means).

In primary schools (in England) only the following is stautory.

Pupils should know:

- that families are important for children growing up because they can give love, security and stability
-the characteristics of healthy family life, commitment to each other, including in times of difficulty, protection and care for children and other family members, the importance of spending time together and sharing each other’s lives
-that others’ families, either in school or in the wider world, sometimes look different from their family, but that they should respect those differences and know that other children’s families are also characterised by love and care
-that stable, caring relationships, which may be of different types, are at the heart of happy families, and are important for children’s security as they grow up
-that marriage represents a formal and legally recognised commitment of two people to each other which is intended to be lifelong
-how to recognise if family relationships are making them feel unhappy or unsafe, and how to seek help or advice from others if needed

Any deviation from this has to be done in consultation with the parent body. The curriculum has to be posted on the school website. Parents have the right to withdraw their children.

Doesn't seem too controversial to me...

I have learned a lot and adjusted a lot of my views in my nigh on 55 years.

Like many others of my age, we were used to the idea (as kids and teens) that being gay was wrong. We'd never heard of transgender or non binary and the "normal relationship" was a man with a woman.

I can openly admit that up to a certain point in my life I was homophobic because the world had made me that way BUT I have learned. Part of that learning included discovering I had a gay friend. later on I knew a Lesbian coupe who had adopted a son and a homosexual couple who adopted a daughter and both kids were loved and cared for. Coming from a dysfunctional "normal" family that broke down when I was quite young it helped me to learn what was important.

The education we talk about here isn't the loony left, that is just a loony right point of view.
There are kids out there who don't understand who they are and why they feel like they do.
When I heard that our friends son was trans gendering I wasn't in the least bit surprised, it made sense, he always seemed a bit feminine. I don't know what she is going through in school, I can only hope the other kids are far more understanding and accepting than my generation would have been.
My son told me one of his friends was openly lesbian so we discussed it, he told me a boy in his year was gay. It didn't bother him at all and he's good friends with the girl, they're part of a group of friends who are regularly "together" on Xbox.

The world has changed and some people need to catch up.
Florida punish Disney on 12:59 - Apr 22 with 1260 viewsSirjohnalot

Florida punish Disney on 12:02 - Apr 22 by Lorax

Like many others of my age, we were used to the idea (as kids and teens) that being gay was wrong. We'd never heard of transgender or non binary and the "normal relationship" was a man with a woman.

I can openly admit that up to a certain point in my life I was homophobic because the world had made me that way BUT I have learned. Part of that learning included discovering I had a gay friend. later on I knew a Lesbian coupe who had adopted a son and a homosexual couple who adopted a daughter and both kids were loved and cared for. Coming from a dysfunctional "normal" family that broke down when I was quite young it helped me to learn what was important.

The education we talk about here isn't the loony left, that is just a loony right point of view.
There are kids out there who don't understand who they are and why they feel like they do.
When I heard that our friends son was trans gendering I wasn't in the least bit surprised, it made sense, he always seemed a bit feminine. I don't know what she is going through in school, I can only hope the other kids are far more understanding and accepting than my generation would have been.
My son told me one of his friends was openly lesbian so we discussed it, he told me a boy in his year was gay. It didn't bother him at all and he's good friends with the girl, they're part of a group of friends who are regularly "together" on Xbox.

When I was in Comprehensive School, and 6th Form I was exactly the same. Being in South Wales in the 80s and 90s, I never met any gay people, only reference I had was from things like Are You Being Served and Alf Garnett.
It was only when I went to Uni and out of my bubble that I realised what a prat I had been. In fact one of the best nights out I had was going to my mate's wedding reception in the Gay Village in Manchester. Great fun
Florida punish Disney on 13:08 - Apr 22 with 1248 viewsProfessor

Florida punish Disney on 12:02 - Apr 22 by Lorax

Well said. Same experiences (and same age).

There's another thread here, one of many exemplars of kids abused and killed by 'normal' heterosexual couples.

Love and care is not a queer or straight thing.
Florida punish Disney on 13:30 - Apr 22 with 1233 viewsonehunglow

Of one thing I am certain and that is that gay couples invariably bring up their children far better than heterosexual mainly a they are wanted in the first place.
Pointless having a traditional man woman marriage if the female is regularly assaulted and the kid left to fend for themselves. Often,these kids have no chance as they have no parameters and they have none because the parents cannot arsed be. Our greatest social issue ,for me,bar none.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Florida punish Disney on 14:38 - Apr 22 with 1193 viewsSTID2017

Florida punish Disney on 09:39 - Apr 22 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

But sexuality has nothing to do with love. I love my best friend but I wouldn’t ever want to shag him.

Think of all the people you have slept with, can you honestly say you were in love with all of them? Sexuality has more to do with attraction or lust, not love.

The message we are all hopefully given at a young age in that "talk" is that two people who love each other get together, etc.
Encouraging people to find the right person who share mutual love and respect before making love.
Of course the reality for many overrides that, but at least our children should be taught that it is a pure and beautiful thing between two consenting adults.
No matter if they are straight or gay.

"Sanity and happiness are an impossible combination" - Mark Twain
Poll: Who Would You Want As Captain For Swans ?

Florida punish Disney on 14:44 - Apr 22 with 1188 viewsSTID2017

Florida punish Disney on 09:48 - Apr 22 by onehunglow

I returned to posting with a proviso not to comment on anything religious. I'm buggered now as someone else has brought it up.
How religion is rammed into kids from an early age,how bigotry stems from that and how it affects other I will leave others to offer comments. Homosexuality clearly seen as a perversion that should lead to death . Its all in the Bible,in Leviticus. We in Wales were imbued in this pre puberty.
Not only that but we have many who seek to proselytise.

Likewise I was raised as a Catholic yet understand all to well how people in positions of power in the Church abused that power.
Sadly happens in all walks of life.
I respect all peoples beliefs and sexual orientations.
However a lot of hypocrisy in religion as in many other places.
Abuse of power for sexual pleasure is deplorable wherever it happens.

Florida punish Disney on 14:50 - Apr 22 with 1185 viewsSTID2017

Florida punish Disney on 14:55 - Apr 21 by jojaca

Sex eduction and thing like LGBTQ should only be taught in the last year of comp.

So how do you get children to understand when other children from a single sex home are in their class and talk about their two mums or two dads ?
Come back when you are 15 and we will explain it?
Very old fashioned view jojaca

Florida punish Disney on 16:30 - Apr 22 with 1157 viewsonehunglow

Florida punish Disney on 14:44 - Apr 22 by STID2017

Likewise I was raised as a Catholic yet understand all to well how people in positions of power in the Church abused that power.
Sadly happens in all walks of life.
I respect all peoples beliefs and sexual orientations.
However a lot of hypocrisy in religion as in many other places.
Abuse of power for sexual pleasure is deplorable wherever it happens.

Superbly put and exactly how I feel
Being brought up by a Welsh Baptists,contempt for the catholic religion,pope,nuns,priests was all part of the mantra.
Took me some time to wise up and rise up against a tyranical father -an absolute bigot.

Login to get fewer ads

Florida punish Disney on 17:25 - Apr 22 with 1133 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Florida punish Disney on 09:46 - Apr 22 by Sirjohnalot

Very fair point and that can be explored at a later age but the initial point I think was about young kids and what they should be taught.

All I was saying is that there’s nothing wrong with explaining on a basic level about how people are attracted to different genders.

It all seems rather pointless at that age. Kids won’t really understand “attraction” until they go through puberty and start having those urges themselves.
Florida punish Disney on 17:44 - Apr 22 with 1127 viewsLorax

Florida punish Disney on 17:25 - Apr 22 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

It all seems rather pointless at that age. Kids won’t really understand “attraction” until they go through puberty and start having those urges themselves.

I don't think they go too much into it at younger ages. My son had his first sex education class when he was 8 and it was very basic. The school sent out letters first asking if any parents objected to it and laying out what they'd talk about.

it's more of an introduction and trying to start them down the road to understanding and tolerance.
Florida punish Disney on 17:47 - Apr 22 with 1123 viewsSirjohnalot

Surely it’s more to do with family structure and explaining the different possible set ups ?
Florida punish Disney on 19:40 - Apr 22 with 1087 viewsScotia

I think it may also answer questions some kids will be considering relative to themselves.

I have some gay friends who've known they were gay from a very young age potentially even before age eight. They would probably have felt more comfortable growing up if they realised they weren't abnormal.
Florida punish Disney on 20:25 - Apr 22 with 1064 viewsonehunglow

Florida punish Disney on 12:59 - Apr 22 by Sirjohnalot

When I was in Comprehensive School, and 6th Form I was exactly the same. Being in South Wales in the 80s and 90s, I never met any gay people, only reference I had was from things like Are You Being Served and Alf Garnett.
It was only when I went to Uni and out of my bubble that I realised what a prat I had been. In fact one of the best nights out I had was going to my mate's wedding reception in the Gay Village in Manchester. Great fun

Note thi.
In the late 60s I was late teens and a bit of a lad.I loved girls.However,my group of chums included a lad who was 6-2 about ten stone ,long shoulder length hair and extremely effeminate. We were all big Swans fans and looked after him on the north bank as it wasn't exactly gay friendly.
We used to go to the Rank and normally after less than 30 mins we'd be rucking because as soon as he opened his mouth,he would get ridiculed. He didnt have a partner/boy friend and on reflection he might have been asexual.

The day he got killed on his motor boke on Stormy Down was gutting.

It was an early lesson in homophobia which was endemic in industrial Wales,the ultra macho society.

Florida punish Disney on 20:42 - Apr 22 with 1057 viewsSirjohnalot

Florida punish Disney on 20:25 - Apr 22 by onehunglow

Note thi.
In the late 60s I was late teens and a bit of a lad.I loved girls.However,my group of chums included a lad who was 6-2 about ten stone ,long shoulder length hair and extremely effeminate. We were all big Swans fans and looked after him on the north bank as it wasn't exactly gay friendly.
We used to go to the Rank and normally after less than 30 mins we'd be rucking because as soon as he opened his mouth,he would get ridiculed. He didnt have a partner/boy friend and on reflection he might have been asexual.

The day he got killed on his motor boke on Stormy Down was gutting.

It was an early lesson in homophobia which was endemic in industrial Wales,the ultra macho society.

Has it changed back home ? Hoping it has
Florida punish Disney on 20:45 - Apr 22 with 1052 viewsonehunglow

Florida punish Disney on 20:42 - Apr 22 by Sirjohnalot

Has it changed back home ? Hoping it has

I no longer go back.
I would say it has as have all former industrial areas. They were dangerous ,lethal places . I did come across gays in SCOW

Florida punish Disney on 23:39 - Apr 22 with 1003 viewsSTID2017

I would say Wales and Swansea in particular is far more tolerant of lesbians, gays, transgender, etc.
Obviously still get the odd neanderthal giving people abuse but in general a better place to live in this respect.
Have a large young student population, from all over the world, who are raised to be more understanding, helps in my opinion.

Florida punish Disney on 08:18 - Apr 23 with 975 viewsonehunglow

Florida punish Disney on 23:39 - Apr 22 by STID2017

I would say Wales and Swansea in particular is far more tolerant of lesbians, gays, transgender, etc.
Obviously still get the odd neanderthal giving people abuse but in general a better place to live in this respect.
Have a large young student population, from all over the world, who are raised to be more understanding, helps in my opinion.

A lot of us were brought up in the Chapel with all its bigotry,homophobia,child abuse,sexism and do not underestimate how strong that gene stayed.
We should not also forget Gay people often have a wicked sense of humour.

Florida punish Disney on 09:36 - Apr 23 with 958 viewsSTID2017

Florida punish Disney on 08:18 - Apr 23 by onehunglow

A lot of us were brought up in the Chapel with all its bigotry,homophobia,child abuse,sexism and do not underestimate how strong that gene stayed.
We should not also forget Gay people often have a wicked sense of humour.

Think the last bit is up there with " All the Welsh are good singers "
There are two couples in my family.
In both relationships one I would say is funny, they other more reserved.
One couple are Male, the other female.
The male couple in particular are quite different. One of them is quite flamboyant, whole the other is quite stoic and I don't think if anyone met him anyone would think he was gay, although he doesn't purposely hide it.

Florida punish Disney on 10:17 - Apr 23 with 938 views73__73

How many genders are there these days. I’ve lost count.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

Florida punish Disney on 12:47 - Apr 23 with 927 viewsGwyn737

Go Woke Go Broke innit.

I bet Disney are really worried 🙄
Florida punish Disney on 19:10 - Apr 23 with 871 viewsLorax

Florida punish Disney on 09:36 - Apr 23 by STID2017

Think the last bit is up there with " All the Welsh are good singers "
There are two couples in my family.
In both relationships one I would say is funny, they other more reserved.
One couple are Male, the other female.
The male couple in particular are quite different. One of them is quite flamboyant, whole the other is quite stoic and I don't think if anyone met him anyone would think he was gay, although he doesn't purposely hide it.

Those two couples, they pretty much match the couples I knew. One of the men was a real "drama Queen" but the other was really sensible and down to earth but a good laugh. The two women were both strong characters but not much humour in them.
Florida punish Disney on 23:42 - Apr 23 with 844 viewsA_Fans_Dad

Florida punish Disney on 12:47 - Apr 23 by Gwyn737

Go Woke Go Broke innit.

I bet Disney are really worried 🙄

Perhaps they should be.
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/economy/disney-has-lost-50-billion-in-

https://www.thetrafalgargroup.org/wp-content/uploads/2022/04/COSA-DisneyBusiness
Florida punish Disney on 04:11 - Apr 24 with 825 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

Disney haven’t made anything even remotely watchable since The Lion King imo. Don’t get me started on the new Star Wars, the Farce Awokens or whatever it’s called…
Florida punish Disney on 07:35 - Apr 24 with 812 viewsDr_Winston

Florida punish Disney on 23:07 - Apr 21 by Lorax

My son is in year 8, there is an openly gay girl and an openly gay boy in his year. Of his old friends, from before we moved, there is a boy who has started transgender treatment. They are all 13 years old, the last year of comp will be a bit late for them.

I am afraid that the idea of a 13 yr old undergoing transgender treatment doesn't sit well with me. He'd have barely gone through puberty.

In general you're right though. Kids are far more accepting to LGBT than they were 25-30 years ago if my nieces and stepkids are any indication. It's just not an issue any more.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Florida punish Disney on 10:37 - Apr 24 with 774 viewsLorax

Florida punish Disney on 07:35 - Apr 24 by Dr_Winston

I am afraid that the idea of a 13 yr old undergoing transgender treatment doesn't sit well with me. He'd have barely gone through puberty.

In general you're right though. Kids are far more accepting to LGBT than they were 25-30 years ago if my nieces and stepkids are any indication. It's just not an issue any more.

I agree with you about transgender, generally speaking. We have to be very careful, specially before puberty because we know a parent who seems to have been pushing their son towards being a girl, the boy plays with his sister and she's seen him with a barbie so she thinks he wants to be a girl!

In the case of the family we know though, having known them for over 10 years, their then son started school with out son, it just seems right and I really hope the right decision has been made.

I've spoken with my son about his gay friend, not made a big issue out of it when he brought it up. I think he was disappointed because he fancied her to be honest. They have just carried on though, stayed friends. As it should be.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024