Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
A license to print money 10:09 - May 8 with 1968 viewsLorax

That is what the UK lottery is, it shows how much is involved when Camelot are willing to go to the high court and its claimed the move could cost charities up to one billion pounds,

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/money/other/legal-wrangle-may-strip-1bn-from-lottery-f

A license to print money on 13:44 - May 8 with 1902 viewsEbo

I must be the only person in Wales to have never bought a ticket or a scratch card as I don't gamble and even though the money goes to good causes, it is a tax on stupidity as the odds on winning big are staggering. That is my opinion.

Thank you, goodnight and bollocks
Poll: What couldn't you live without?

A license to print money on 14:48 - May 8 with 1884 viewsLorax

A license to print money on 13:44 - May 8 by Ebo

I must be the only person in Wales to have never bought a ticket or a scratch card as I don't gamble and even though the money goes to good causes, it is a tax on stupidity as the odds on winning big are staggering. That is my opinion.

It's not a tax though, it's a game and there are many levels of prizes to win. Nobody s forced to take part.

Personally I believe the lottery should be nationalised and run as not for profit.
A license to print money on 15:02 - May 8 with 1875 views73__73

A license to print money on 13:44 - May 8 by Ebo

A tax

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

A license to print money on 16:58 - May 8 with 1843 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

I go into my local shop for local people and often there are people in front of me with a fistful of scratch cards getting the poor guy to check every one. Then anything they win they just chuck it into more scratch cards. What’s the point?
A license to print money on 17:10 - May 8 with 1836 viewsKilkennyjack

A license to print money on 15:02 - May 8 by 73__73

A tax

Its a tax on the poor as well.

The middle class people realise the odds are shite and dont buy.

The people who do buy tend to be from working class backgrounds.

If the funded projects were funded from taxation instead, then the middle class would have to pay their fair share. The way it works now the money for these funded projects comes directly from some of the poorest people in society.

Yes its a game, but thats the result.

Beware of the Risen People

A license to print money on 17:26 - May 8 with 1834 viewsJack123

Surprising how many lottery winners, say it's the worst thing that ever happened to them, and wish they'd never won.

I was just reading about Michel Carroll who won 9.7 million, blew the lot, and was back claiming job seekers allowance.. That's crazy 9.7 million, and then skint.

libera nos a malo

A license to print money on 17:36 - May 8 with 1826 viewsJack123

A license to print money on 16:58 - May 8 by Flynnidine_Zidownes

I go into my local shop for local people and often there are people in front of me with a fistful of scratch cards getting the poor guy to check every one. Then anything they win they just chuck it into more scratch cards. What’s the point?

Those scratchcards are a joke, I think it's wrong they can advertise say 1 in 3.5 chance of winning a prize, when basically it's getting your money back, I mean if you spend 5 quid on a scratchcard and get 5 quid back, you haven't won nothing. I have looked at the odds of even winning 20 quid and it's rubbish.

libera nos a malo

A license to print money on 18:31 - May 8 with 1799 viewsKeithHaynes

A license to print money on 17:26 - May 8 by Jack123

Surprising how many lottery winners, say it's the worst thing that ever happened to them, and wish they'd never won.

I was just reading about Michel Carroll who won 9.7 million, blew the lot, and was back claiming job seekers allowance.. That's crazy 9.7 million, and then skint.

True, but he was a dickhead.

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Login to get fewer ads

A license to print money on 18:52 - May 8 with 1789 viewsLorax

A license to print money on 18:31 - May 8 by KeithHaynes

Absolutely he was, a compete waste of space.

It is crazy that the euromillions can get so high, 184 million Tuesday, crazy stuff and it can totally ruin lives too, a curse more than a blessing a lot of the time.

Anything around 130k would be plenty for us! We aren't regular players though, competely ad hoc.
A license to print money on 21:53 - May 8 with 1748 viewsfelixstowe_jack

A license to print money on 14:48 - May 8 by Lorax

It's not a tax though, it's a game and there are many levels of prizes to win. Nobody s forced to take part.

Personally I believe the lottery should be nationalised and run as not for profit.

Would a nationalised lottery actually raise more money I doubt itand their cost base is bound to rise. Like all nationalised industries it would be over staffed with the top brass earning obscene amounts of money.

Poll: Sholud Wales rollout vaccination at full speed.

A license to print money on 21:57 - May 8 with 1744 viewsLorax

A license to print money on 21:53 - May 8 by felixstowe_jack

Would a nationalised lottery actually raise more money I doubt itand their cost base is bound to rise. Like all nationalised industries it would be over staffed with the top brass earning obscene amounts of money.

Maybe so but if it's put out to tender on a no profit basis then it may raise a lot more for charity. I wonder what the top brass at camelot get paid?
A license to print money on 22:08 - May 8 with 1740 viewsfelixstowe_jack

A license to print money on 21:57 - May 8 by Lorax

Maybe so but if it's put out to tender on a no profit basis then it may raise a lot more for charity. I wonder what the top brass at camelot get paid?

Camelot are only allowed expenses of 5% of total ticket sales.
In the last financial year camelots operating expenses were 4% on a record year of sales. The more sales the more profit they make but they still only take 1% of sales as profits.

There will be no incentive for a nationised lottery to increase sales and it is likely sales will fall and less raised for good causes.

A license to print money on 22:10 - May 8 with 1740 viewsScotia

A license to print money on 21:57 - May 8 by Lorax

I've rarely played the lottery, only really in a work syndicate when we were in the office. We hardly ever won anything despite spending about £25 a draw.

One of the boys looked in to Camelot, and they were almost wholly owned by a Canadian teachers pension fund.
A license to print money on 22:36 - May 8 with 1723 viewsBrynmill_Jack

A license to print money on 15:02 - May 8 by 73__73

A tax

I’ve heard it described as “moron tax”.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

A license to print money on 22:53 - May 8 with 1720 viewsraynor94

A license to print money on 17:10 - May 8 by Kilkennyjack

If the funded projects were funded from taxation instead, then the middle class would have to pay their fair share. The way it works now the money for these funded projects comes directly from some of the poorest people in society.

How on earth is it a tax on the poor? People have a choice.

You do come across as a rather covetous chap

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

A license to print money on 23:14 - May 8 with 1709 viewsJack123

A license to print money on 18:31 - May 8 by KeithHaynes

Yes, from what I have read, seems he has settled down now. Bet he must have had some fun, apparently he bedded 4,000 women.

That must take some doing.

It does make me think though, I wonder how people would treat you, if they knew you had nearly 10 million in the bank, perhaps at the age he was when he won, he just got took advantage of.

I would imagine if it happened to me, and people suddenly started being overly nice to me, it would be pretty cringe worthy.

libera nos a malo

A license to print money on 05:39 - May 9 with 1672 viewsFlynnidine_Zidownes

A license to print money on 23:14 - May 8 by Jack123

Yes, from what I have read, seems he has settled down now. Bet he must have had some fun, apparently he bedded 4,000 women.

That must take some doing.

It does make me think though, I wonder how people would treat you, if they knew you had nearly 10 million in the bank, perhaps at the age he was when he won, he just got took advantage of.

I would imagine if it happened to me, and people suddenly started being overly nice to me, it would be pretty cringe worthy.

I imagine it’s easy to bed 4000 women when you’ve won millions on the lottery. It also goes a long way to explaining why he’s got no money left.
A license to print money on 07:13 - May 9 with 1647 viewsfelixstowe_jack

A license to print money on 17:10 - May 8 by Kilkennyjack

Guess going by your logic that is why the euro lottery is such a success as there are more poor people in the EU to play it than in the UK.

A license to print money on 10:26 - May 9 with 1607 viewsLorax

A license to print money on 22:10 - May 8 by Scotia

I've rarely played the lottery, only really in a work syndicate when we were in the office. We hardly ever won anything despite spending about £25 a draw.

One of the boys looked in to Camelot, and they were almost wholly owned by a Canadian teachers pension fund.

Ok, so why can't this be owned by the UKPLC as a pension fund?

Felix, those 4% expenses, what wages /salaries are being paid to the people at the top? Well here you go,

https://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/jul/27/lottery.executivesalaries

The CEO got 270k wages and in the year in question, 2001, she also got 600k in bonuses. I don't suppose those pay outs have dropped in 20 years....actually, in 2017 the CEO got wages of 1.2 millin and bonuses of 1.7 million.

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/it-could-be-us-executive-bonus-jackpots-at-ca

Lets face it, how hard is it to come up wth new ideas for scratchcards and number draws? What do these people actually do to deserve such massive salaries?
A license to print money on 20:40 - May 9 with 1581 viewspikeypaul

I’ve never played it and never bought a scratch card.

The salaries and bonuses of the directors is obscene.

It’s easy for organisations to call themselves not for profit when you are paying yourself £3 million a year.

OUT AFLI SUCK IT UP REMOANER LOSERS 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧 🇬🇧
Poll: Where wil Judas be sitting when we play Millwall?

A license to print money on 21:16 - May 9 with 1566 views73__73

People moaning about £2 for a lotto ticket, but will spend £10 plus for 20 fags, £4 plus for a pint.

Poll: Should Swansea expand its concourses, to accommodate fans of big clubs

A license to print money on 21:54 - May 9 with 1551 viewsKilkennyjack

A license to print money on 22:53 - May 8 by raynor94

How on earth is it a tax on the poor? People have a choice.

You do come across as a rather covetous chap

Its amazing, somebody quotes the ‘moron tax’ tag …. And then next post up is from you !

If the hat fits innit … 😕

Beware of the Risen People

A license to print money on 23:04 - May 9 with 1542 viewsLorax

A license to print money on 21:54 - May 9 by Kilkennyjack

Its amazing, somebody quotes the ‘moron tax’ tag …. And then next post up is from you !

You should know though you need a helmet more than a hat.
A license to print money on 23:13 - May 9 with 1538 viewsraynor94

A license to print money on 21:54 - May 9 by Kilkennyjack

The cap certainly fits you, Mr Mitty.

I never had you down as middle class

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024