Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Ver Sur Mer 09:10 - Jun 6 with 1222 viewsLorax

78 years on and they are at the D Day Memorial close to Gold beach. Watching Harry Billinge when he sees it for the first time, when he visited it brings tears to my eyes. You can see what it meant to him.

My grandfather landed at Gold (I believe) with 47 Commando, he survived the war. One day I will go to that monument, I need to.

Having this today, with what is going on in Ukraine, talking about the horrors of war and the pointless loss of life, it seems very relevant to me.

RIP Harry.
Ver Sur Mer on 11:12 - Jun 6 with 1186 viewsBoundy

For many , the nearest they've ever been to a war is a game on a console , which is as it should be . But when you read some of the crass comments on others threads about the current situation in Ukraine, as if it is just a game you do have to question their morality and lack of empathy.
We as a country should show a debt of gratitude to those who fought and died but we don't except those whose families were directly affected and dismiss such events as the D day landings as something happened some where, sometime ago . This country is not nor ever has been perfect but that can be said of the rest of the world so why not recognise the good rather than focus on the bad all the time , and embrace what we have given to the world which is rather more than what we've taken IMO

"In a free society, the State is the servant of the people—not the master."

Ver Sur Mer on 08:54 - Jun 7 with 1130 viewsonehunglow

Ver Sur Mer on 11:12 - Jun 6 by Boundy

For many , the nearest they've ever been to a war is a game on a console , which is as it should be . But when you read some of the crass comments on others threads about the current situation in Ukraine, as if it is just a game you do have to question their morality and lack of empathy.
We as a country should show a debt of gratitude to those who fought and died but we don't except those whose families were directly affected and dismiss such events as the D day landings as something happened some where, sometime ago . This country is not nor ever has been perfect but that can be said of the rest of the world so why not recognise the good rather than focus on the bad all the time , and embrace what we have given to the world which is rather more than what we've taken IMO

This post should be copied and printed and made a sticky or whatever they do on here to make it stick in the memory.

Poll: Christmas. Enjoyable or not

Ver Sur Mer on 09:44 - Jun 7 with 1120 viewsLorax

Ver Sur Mer on 08:54 - Jun 7 by onehunglow

This post should be copied and printed and made a sticky or whatever they do on here to make it stick in the memory.

OHL, the more I learned about my grandad, the more I idolised him. A postman in Swansea who went to war, became a Royal Marine Commando, survived Tobruk, El Alamein and D Day who came home and refused to talk about what he did because he was ashamed of all the killing, of things he'd done even though they had to be done. He came home, returned to his job and go on with life.

I wish I'd known him better.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024