Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Defending corners and set-pieces. 14:42 - Jan 13 with 2080 viewsDannyPaddox

I noticed against Sheffield United we defended corners and set pieces with all 11 players behind the ball. I’ve never understood this. This isn’t a criticism against Critch - Sheffield United did it too. In fact most teams do it. Why? I feel as if all of football is under the spell of an analytics messiah-dweeb who has come up with data to prove that if a team defends a corner with all 11 players in the box there will be, let’s say, a 44.67% less likelihood of them conceding. Maybe so but if the defence does clear the ball there will be a 0.0% chance of mounting a counter attack and a 99% chance of being put under pressure again.

I wouldn’t leave one man up top, I’d leave two. One central on the half way line (Ilias) and another player with pace (hello Jamal) a few yards deeper and wider. The opposition would then most likely leave 3 men back to cover resulting in less attacking players for us to defend from the corner.

Packing the penalty area creates other problems too - randomness - if the ball is on the deck it gets pinged around like a pinball machine in a penalty area full of limbs … see Sheffield United’s equaliser.

I noticed the bloke before with the wart initially had all men back behind the ball for corners etc. and then changed tack after a handful of games leaving a player or two around the half-way line.

Of course what would help either scenario is if we just marked up properly but I still firmly believe defending with all players behind the ball at set-pieces, though appearing to be sensible and safe, is actually a false security and counterproductive. And it winds me up rotten.
[Post edited 13 Jan 2023 14:56]
Defending corners and set-pieces. on 14:49 - Jan 13 with 2033 viewstraininvain

Quick question, have you seen us defend set pieces?
Defending corners and set-pieces. on 14:52 - Jan 13 with 2022 viewsstanistheman

Totally agree.

I also think that having too many players back in the box causes confusion and congestion.

Better to have an outlet option as we did last season. I remember at home to Luton when Chair cleared a corner up to Willock who ran onto the pass and scored.
Defending corners and set-pieces. on 15:19 - Jan 13 with 1942 viewskensalriser

Me every time we defend a set piece.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Defending corners and set-pieces. on 15:35 - Jan 13 with 1890 viewsgazza1

Not sure if there is a right or wrong insofar as defending corners with 11 men 10 o 9.....all managers have their own way of doing it.

But put it this way.......we are winning 1-0, 5 mins to go, we cannot concede otherwise we do not get promoted - how many players would you have back in the defensive area's???
Defending corners and set-pieces. on 16:03 - Jan 13 with 1849 viewsNorthernr

I always prefer to leave a man up. I think it takes at least two players out of the box with him, and gives you some semblance of hope on the counter. If you've got somebody with bright's speed then maybe not necessary, but we haven't, so every corner we face we're basically accepting the best case scenario is a goal kick or Seny catches the ball and stands there and waits. This is particularly the case when you've got a literal midget in Chair, and Chris Willock who doesn't have a defensive bone in his body. We don't put men on the posts, so you may as well go and stand them on half way, they'll take at least 3/4 players back there with them.

But we've been trying different combinations with different players under different managers for three seasons now and conceding from corners for fun regardless. Again, you end up concluding it's a mentality problem - sooner or later, somebody has to be willing to just go and head the thing.
Defending corners and set-pieces. on 17:19 - Jan 13 with 1766 viewskernowhoop

Defending corners and set-pieces. on 16:03 - Jan 13 by Northernr

I always prefer to leave a man up. I think it takes at least two players out of the box with him, and gives you some semblance of hope on the counter. If you've got somebody with bright's speed then maybe not necessary, but we haven't, so every corner we face we're basically accepting the best case scenario is a goal kick or Seny catches the ball and stands there and waits. This is particularly the case when you've got a literal midget in Chair, and Chris Willock who doesn't have a defensive bone in his body. We don't put men on the posts, so you may as well go and stand them on half way, they'll take at least 3/4 players back there with them.

But we've been trying different combinations with different players under different managers for three seasons now and conceding from corners for fun regardless. Again, you end up concluding it's a mentality problem - sooner or later, somebody has to be willing to just go and head the thing.

A 'literal midget' Clive?
Didn't he tell us recently that he is a full 5'7"?
We shall blame you if he leaves.
Defending corners and set-pieces. on 17:27 - Jan 13 with 1758 viewsNorthernr

Defending corners and set-pieces. on 17:19 - Jan 13 by kernowhoop

A 'literal midget' Clive?
Didn't he tell us recently that he is a full 5'7"?
We shall blame you if he leaves.

What's a goblin?
Defending corners and set-pieces. on 17:46 - Jan 13 with 1722 viewskensalriser

I am somewhat sceptical that Chair is 5' 7". That's on the short side for a pro footballer, but not highly unusual. Chair is unusually short.

I know, we've been around this block before.

Poll: QPR to finish 7th or Brentford to drop out of the top 6?

Login to get fewer ads

Defending corners and set-pieces. on 17:48 - Jan 13 with 1719 viewsLongsufferingR

A lot of fuss about nothing. When was the last time we conceded from a corner?
[Post edited 13 Jan 2023 17:49]
Defending corners and set-pieces. on 17:53 - Jan 13 with 1705 viewsJules4367

Separately, when we get corners and set pieces can I suggest / recommend the following:

1. The person taking it is over 5ft 11 in - and understands height of people in defence or, at least, has clear understanding that the defenders in the box will be 6ft plus. At least then we shall have a chance of the ball clearing the first defender and give our taller players a chance of heading.
2. Our players understand the tendency for balls to also be over hit (in compensation for hitting the nearest defender on the last set play). Can someone then be positioned at the back and assume that the ball IS going to be over hit and therefore mentally aware and readily prepared to run off the back of the pack.
Defending corners and set-pieces. on 17:57 - Jan 13 with 1702 viewsNoelmc

Personally I'd like to see Chair & Willock left up. They don't offer anything defensively and it should ensure the opposition have to leave at least 3 back. Also there's a small chance we may retain possesion if the ball is cleared. With 11 men back you are effectively giving the ball straight back to the opposition to keep the pressure on.
Defending corners and set-pieces. on 08:24 - Jan 14 with 1525 viewsHastings_Hoops

I want to see QPR go full on nutty whallops and leave just Senny Dieng, Jimmy Dunne and Rob Dickie back to defend corners…

In fact, given QPRs incompetence at taking corners, I am amazed we don’t see this when we’re taking corners.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024