Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Best pubs in London 16:20 - Apr 24 with 4353 viewsbob566

https://www.bbc.com/travel/article/20230424-eight-of-the-best-pubs-in-london
Best pubs in London on 16:26 - Apr 24 with 4281 viewscolinallcars

Yes…..a pub thread at last ! I think I've been in all the ones shown.
My fav lunchtime pub was the Mawson next to Fuller's but the buggers closed it down.
I don't really have a definite favourite now.
Best pubs in London on 16:30 - Apr 24 with 4249 viewsMetallica_Hoop

I've drank in 7 of them. 1&2 quite a bit.

I love the Black Heart Camden and the Dublin Castle.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best pubs in London on 16:58 - Apr 24 with 4156 viewsMrSheen

Best pubs in London on 16:30 - Apr 24 by Metallica_Hoop

I've drank in 7 of them. 1&2 quite a bit.

I love the Black Heart Camden and the Dublin Castle.

The Cheshire Cheese should be great, but it's always looked dirty and horrible to me. Sam Smith's dingy.
Best pubs in London on 17:00 - Apr 24 with 4149 viewsSuperhoop83

Ye Olde Mitre

Suffering since 1978.

Best pubs in London on 17:07 - Apr 24 with 4128 viewsMetallica_Hoop

Best pubs in London on 16:58 - Apr 24 by MrSheen

The Cheshire Cheese should be great, but it's always looked dirty and horrible to me. Sam Smith's dingy.

I took my sister in there last summer when she was over from New York and said "Mind your head" when going to the basement levels and promptly smashed mine on the stairwell much to the amusement of some Dutch tourists behind us.

She liked the pub though.

Beer and Beef has made us what we are - The Prince Regent

Best pubs in London on 17:00 - Apr 25 with 3798 viewsthemodfather

been in 6 of those listed .
Best pubs in London on 18:02 - Apr 25 with 3667 viewsrobith

2 of those are Sam Smiths - temper your cataclysmic hangover off their gut rot swill with the vague memory of some wooden panelling
Best pubs in London on 20:09 - Apr 25 with 3517 viewsSimonJames

I've drunk in a couple if them...
But my favourite ever London pub was The Moscow Arms in Bayswater in the mid 80s. Fantastic jukebox, and some amazingly daft clientelle.

100% of people who drink water will die.

Login to get fewer ads

Best pubs in London on 20:36 - Apr 25 with 3478 viewsqueensparker

From number 2 - is this the same Gerry that came to the Crown and Sceptre?

2. Churchill Arms · $

It sounds like an elaborate music hall joke: an English pub, run by an Irishman, serving Thai food — with a Chelsea Flower Show-qualifying hanging garden display on the outside, and WW2, royal and hurling memorabilia occupying every inch of the inside walls. But former long-time landlord Gerry O'Brien made it work, making the Churchill Arms one of the prettiest and most convivial pubs in West London.
Best pubs in London on 21:47 - Apr 25 with 3358 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Six for me.

Particular soft spot for the Princess Louise. Many a commute seemed to start there!

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!
Poll: Who should do the Birmingham Frederick?

Best pubs in London on 22:20 - Apr 25 with 3316 viewsjohann28

Ok, I'll give you the Mitre, but seems like one of those lists created a long time ago for tourists.

Holy Tavern, Clerkenwell (formerly Jerusalem Tavern) - more crafty these days, but still great atmosphere
Dovetail, Clerkenwell - Feel like going to Belgium for Trappist beers? Why bother with the Eurostar?
Royal Oak, Borough - Harvey's ales - best in the country?
Waterloo Tap, Sutton Walk - 6 cask, 20 keg. Need I say more?
Angel, Rotherhithe - Sam Smiths, but river views can't be beaten

I could go on.
Best pubs in London on 23:01 - Apr 25 with 3256 viewsSK_hoops

Best pubs in London on 18:02 - Apr 25 by robith

2 of those are Sam Smiths - temper your cataclysmic hangover off their gut rot swill with the vague memory of some wooden panelling

£7 a pint last time I went in one. Used to be cheap....
Best pubs in London on 00:09 - Apr 26 with 3185 viewshamptonhillhoop

Used to work opposite The Harp. Popped in one Friday after work and Richard Harris was sitting there having a pint. Doesn't happen every day. Lots of nice pubs around Charing Cross, including one just off St Martins Lane, The Salisbury, where Dennis Nielsen met a few of his victims!
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 0:10]
Best pubs in London on 02:07 - Apr 26 with 3147 viewsSydneyRs

Best pubs in London on 21:47 - Apr 25 by PlanetHonneywood

Six for me.

Particular soft spot for the Princess Louise. Many a commute seemed to start there!

Worked almost right next to there for several years. Lovely old pub. Several after work pub crawls started there and moved around Covent Garden and Soho.
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 2:16]
Best pubs in London on 04:36 - Apr 26 with 3113 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Best pubs in London on 00:09 - Apr 26 by hamptonhillhoop

Used to work opposite The Harp. Popped in one Friday after work and Richard Harris was sitting there having a pint. Doesn't happen every day. Lots of nice pubs around Charing Cross, including one just off St Martins Lane, The Salisbury, where Dennis Nielsen met a few of his victims!
[Post edited 26 Apr 2023 0:10]

In 1990 my then firm moved to Baker St. The pub we would go to for some pints of lunch, had George Best as a regular and Dennis Compton seen occasionally too.

Best was a decent guy, whom we were all on nodding terms with. One day someone commented how it was a shame was always in here drinking at lunch. Whereupon we all looked at each other and wondered what he must have thought of us.

'Always In Motion' by John Honney available on amazon.co.uk Nous sommes L’occitane Rs!

Best pubs in London on 07:20 - Apr 26 with 3007 viewsozranger

I've held back, but I am amazed at the discussion here. I've been to this and that. But, really are there only good pubs a mile radius from Green Park? Is west London only as far as those few pubs?

What about the south side? Are you telling me that there are zero pubs that would rate within this so called top eight that are located south of the river? Or for that matter, anywhere outside this one mile radius? What a load of rubbish. Some of the best pubs are those little ones hidden away in the back streets between houses that are run by good families and with good clientele.

Personally, I see these lists as just click-bait and the personal thoughts of someone who has been to just a few pubs within the close environs of some point, here being the centre of the city. I'd rather see a discussion about the real small and somewhat unknown pubs and where they are as opposed to these Top Ten or 8's. Let me start with the Dacre Arms, a hidden jewel in east Lewisham.
Best pubs in London on 10:01 - Apr 26 with 2892 viewsrobith

Best pubs in London on 07:20 - Apr 26 by ozranger

I've held back, but I am amazed at the discussion here. I've been to this and that. But, really are there only good pubs a mile radius from Green Park? Is west London only as far as those few pubs?

What about the south side? Are you telling me that there are zero pubs that would rate within this so called top eight that are located south of the river? Or for that matter, anywhere outside this one mile radius? What a load of rubbish. Some of the best pubs are those little ones hidden away in the back streets between houses that are run by good families and with good clientele.

Personally, I see these lists as just click-bait and the personal thoughts of someone who has been to just a few pubs within the close environs of some point, here being the centre of the city. I'd rather see a discussion about the real small and somewhat unknown pubs and where they are as opposed to these Top Ten or 8's. Let me start with the Dacre Arms, a hidden jewel in east Lewisham.

It's an article on the BBC travel site for normies, it ain't really that deep, I wouldn't take it personally
Best pubs in London on 15:14 - Apr 26 with 2726 viewscolinallcars

These lists tend to feature pubs of architectural renown and with historical references.
Yes we all know “ ordinary pubs “ can can be wonderful but can change over the years. Case in point - the Thatched House in Hammersmith. In the 70s run by ex Fulham & England centre forward Bedford Jezzard. I thought this was the best pub in the world. When “Beddy” ( RIP), left it went down the drain. Now it's a good pub again, if a little mimsy.
Best pubs in London on 15:19 - Apr 26 with 2718 viewsPlanetHonneywood

Best pubs in London on 10:01 - Apr 26 by robith

It's an article on the BBC travel site for normies, it ain't really that deep, I wouldn't take it personally

Best pubs in London on 16:39 - Apr 26 with 2642 viewsNewBee

Best pubs in London on 16:58 - Apr 24 by MrSheen

Are you by any chance confusing The Olde Cheshire Cheese in Fleet Street, as mentioned in the article, with The Cheshire Cheese by Fenchurch Street Station/The Tower?

https://ye-olde-cheshire-cheese.co.uk/

and

https://www.greatukpubs.co.uk/cheshire-cheese-tower-hill?utm_source=gmb&utm_medi

Quite by chance I was in the latter (Tower) yesterday and while not really "dirty & horrible", it was the very epitome of a bog-standard, big chain London boozer, with nothing whatever to distinguish or recommend it.

As for the Olde CC, it's years since I was in it, but at least it had character, back then at any rate.

Anyhow, one pub which I used to love was The Porcupine, by Leicester Square - nothing very unusual about it except that it was very convenient to meet up with mates coming from different directions, for a couple before moving on elsewhere.

While if you arrived first, it always had a great jukebox to listen to while you waited esp if you got a seat by the window to watch passers by, and near the door to see the other punters stepping in and out - first class people-watching.
https://www.nicholsonspubs.co.uk/restaurants/london/theporcupineleicestersquarel

Not been in it for a while, hope it hasn''t changed too much.
Best pubs in London on 16:45 - Apr 26 with 2633 viewsNewBee

Best pubs in London on 17:07 - Apr 24 by Metallica_Hoop

I took my sister in there last summer when she was over from New York and said "Mind your head" when going to the basement levels and promptly smashed mine on the stairwell much to the amusement of some Dutch tourists behind us.

She liked the pub though.

"... much to the amusement of some Dutch tourists behind us."

I can see why they were amused:
https://worldpopulationreview.com/country-rankings/average-height-by-country

Anyhow, I'm pretty sure I've been in all of those (used to work in The City) and tbf, it's not a bad selection for a list which is otherwise objectively impossible to quantify.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024