Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s 12:13 - May 12 with 677 viewsKeithHaynes

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 12:37 - May 12 with 653 viewsunion_jack

Just shows how much the body can stand without rolling over and over like a barrel down a hill😁

Are Sperm Whales the reason the sea is so salty?
Poll: Bony - Would You Want Him Back?

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 13:02 - May 12 with 623 viewsraynor94

Keepers didn't use gloves in those days unless it was wet conditions with a muddy ball.

You don't see any wearing caps these days

You give it out, you take it back it`s all part of the game
Poll: Happy to see Martin go

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 16:52 - May 12 with 553 viewsAnotherJohn

Different times indeed. From the late 60s, I still have a scar from where some optimist lunged at me when I made the obligatory bounce of the ball then required every 4 paces. It was easily back in my hands before my assailant's (old style) studs ripped through my sock and gashed my shin, The other thing that was different then was the weight of the ball when it got wet.
Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 16:54 - May 12 with 543 viewsKeithHaynes

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 16:52 - May 12 by AnotherJohn

Different times indeed. From the late 60s, I still have a scar from where some optimist lunged at me when I made the obligatory bounce of the ball then required every 4 paces. It was easily back in my hands before my assailant's (old style) studs ripped through my sock and gashed my shin, The other thing that was different then was the weight of the ball when it got wet.

Doubled in weight apparently. And retained ice due to the pitches.m

This post has been edited by an administrator

A great believer in taking anything you like to wherever you want to.
Blog: Do you want to start a career in journalism ?

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 18:37 - May 12 with 492 viewsunion_jack

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 13:02 - May 12 by raynor94

Keepers didn't use gloves in those days unless it was wet conditions with a muddy ball.

You don't see any wearing caps these days

Why you down arrow me😕?

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 20:30 - May 12 with 461 viewsraynor94

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 18:37 - May 12 by union_jack

Why you down arrow me😕?

My apologies it must have been my fat fingers👍

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 20:43 - May 12 with 451 viewsunion_jack

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 20:30 - May 12 by raynor94

My apologies it must have been my fat fingers👍

Well, of course I don’t care, I mean who would.

Could you create another log in and neutralise it. Not that I care or anything, who would? But you know….😂

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 00:21 - May 13 with 403 viewsswan65split

I had the ron springett book to help me. regularly had the groundsman curse me for drawing my lines, it as the thing to do to dive in at the players feet, not so today.
I remember the talk about Pat Jennings having a blinder in one game, saving ith his legs and spreading himself star shape .
Login to get fewer ads

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 07:48 - May 13 with 372 viewsAnotherJohn

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 00:21 - May 13 by swan65split

I had the ron springett book to help me. regularly had the groundsman curse me for drawing my lines, it as the thing to do to dive in at the players feet, not so today.
I remember the talk about Pat Jennings having a blinder in one game, saving ith his legs and spreading himself star shape .

It was interesting re the lines that some keepers preferred a single mark on the 6-yard line down the middle, while most probably opted for two lines to indicate the position of the goal posts. And marking out these lines indeed seems less common now, Also, yes, in a one-on-one, most opted to close down an attacker as quickly as possible and dive at his feet. Pat Jennings was probably one of a very few who behaved more like a modern top keeper by "standing up" and extending his legs/feet to block an attempt to place the ball either side of him. Others were more like Tommy Lawrence and would get down low on their side using the length of their body as the barrier. Of course, they might then be undone by the little "dink", but actually getting down low like this seemed to work well enough in its day.
[Post edited 13 May 12:44]
Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 10:14 - May 13 with 334 viewsswan65split

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 07:48 - May 13 by AnotherJohn

It was interesting re the lines that some keepers preferred a single mark on the 6-yard line down the middle, while most probably opted for two lines to indicate the position of the goal posts. And marking out these lines indeed seems less common now, Also, yes, in a one-on-one, most opted to close down an attacker as quickly as possible and dive at his feet. Pat Jennings was probably one of a very few who behaved more like a modern top keeper by "standing up" and extending his legs/feet to block an attempt to place the ball either side of him. Others were more like Tommy Lawrence and would get down low on their side using the length of their body as the barrier. Of course, they might then be undone by the little "dink", but actually getting down low like this seemed to work well enough in its day.
[Post edited 13 May 12:44]

Rons plan was to do the 3 mark, each post and the middle, thinking back now whether I really used them I dont know, but being "a big lad" i had no fear in diving down or spreading, but it all changed later in years when I realised I was more eaker on one side than the other, going left i was brilliant, going right at times a butterfly ould get past me.
Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 11:03 - May 13 with 294 viewsraynor94

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 10:14 - May 13 by swan65split

Rons plan was to do the 3 mark, each post and the middle, thinking back now whether I really used them I dont know, but being "a big lad" i had no fear in diving down or spreading, but it all changed later in years when I realised I was more eaker on one side than the other, going left i was brilliant, going right at times a butterfly ould get past me.

Aren't goalkeepers not allowed to mark their area anymore, I might be wrong

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 14:29 - May 13 with 243 viewsswan65split

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 11:03 - May 13 by raynor94

Aren't goalkeepers not allowed to mark their area anymore, I might be wrong

yep, been banned a long time now.
Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 17:01 - May 13 with 191 viewsraynor94

Being a goalkeeper in the 50’s on 14:29 - May 13 by swan65split

yep, been banned a long time now.

👍