Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Garry Monk...... 22:40 - Mar 25 with 19991 viewssully49

http://www.thesun.co.uk/sol/homepage/sport/football/7025773/Aston-Villa-consider
He should do well in the Championship, I hope he gets it.

Poll: Is there any way for Lee Trundle to play in this squad?

Garry Monk...... on 16:01 - Mar 27 with 1534 viewsJJJack

Garry Monk...... on 10:33 - Mar 27 by jack247

We will have to agree to disagree on that then. IMO they were far better than Villa, Newcastle, Norwich, Palace, Sunderland, West Brom and us at the very least. They finished 11th remember, not 17th on goal difference.

We should have progressed a long way since that team.

What a patheitic, clueless last sentence there. No team in the history of football has improved ad infinitum. No team. Ever. We do not have a divine right FFS
Garry Monk...... on 16:06 - Mar 27 with 1530 viewsjack247

Garry Monk...... on 16:01 - Mar 27 by JJJack

What a patheitic, clueless last sentence there. No team in the history of football has improved ad infinitum. No team. Ever. We do not have a divine right FFS

Calm down.

No team will progress forever, but not many get promoted, progress slowly over 5 years and then regress to being worse when they were when they came up.

Have you been watching us lately?
Garry Monk...... on 17:24 - Mar 27 with 1477 viewsUplandsJack

Garry Monk...... on 15:39 - Mar 27 by Darran

Our 2011/12 team might well have beaten any side in our history they were playing on more than footballing ability after getting promoted to the Pl

That may well be true but i personally think the Laudrup team pre cup final would have torn our 11/12 squad apart. But either way it would have made for a he'll of a game !!!
I really think if we'd not gone for the easy,cheap option in Monk as boss the club would have grown and evolved to another level. Of course that's all speculative as we didn't and will therefore never know. But hopefully HJ & Co has learnt leasons, we've dodged the premier league bullet and now have a chance to rebuild
Garry Monk...... on 17:29 - Mar 27 with 1464 viewsDarran

Garry Monk...... on 17:24 - Mar 27 by UplandsJack

That may well be true but i personally think the Laudrup team pre cup final would have torn our 11/12 squad apart. But either way it would have made for a he'll of a game !!!
I really think if we'd not gone for the easy,cheap option in Monk as boss the club would have grown and evolved to another level. Of course that's all speculative as we didn't and will therefore never know. But hopefully HJ & Co has learnt leasons, we've dodged the premier league bullet and now have a chance to rebuild

There's no guarantee in managers whoever you appoint my friend but the Laudrup team pre cup final only won 5 games in 2012.

The first ever recipient of a Planet Swans Lifetime Achievement Award.
Poll: Who’s got the most experts

Garry Monk...... on 17:40 - Mar 27 with 1452 viewsUplandsJack

Garry Monk...... on 17:29 - Mar 27 by Darran

There's no guarantee in managers whoever you appoint my friend but the Laudrup team pre cup final only won 5 games in 2012.

Very true but i mean the season as a whole leading up to cup final.
As we are all aware they were distracted by the excitement of reaching a semi, then cup final but that squad and style of players would in my humble opinion have outplayed our hard working 11/12 team. Just my opinion on it anyway,..
Garry Monk...... on 17:45 - Mar 27 with 1445 viewsDarran

Garry Monk...... on 17:40 - Mar 27 by UplandsJack

Very true but i mean the season as a whole leading up to cup final.
As we are all aware they were distracted by the excitement of reaching a semi, then cup final but that squad and style of players would in my humble opinion have outplayed our hard working 11/12 team. Just my opinion on it anyway,..

Well our best performance still to this day in my opinion in the Prem was our 3-0 win away to Fulham under Rodgers.

Garry Monk...... on 18:04 - Mar 27 with 1424 viewsLoyal

Garry Monk...... on 17:45 - Mar 27 by Darran

Well our best performance still to this day in my opinion in the Prem was our 3-0 win away to Fulham under Rodgers.

Great day out by the river👍
The orange of Swansea destroyed them, total football.

Nolan sympathiser, clout expert, personal friend of Leigh Dineen, advocate and enforcer of porridge swallows. The official inventor of the tit w@nk.
Poll: Who should be Swansea number 1

Garry Monk...... on 18:29 - Mar 27 with 1402 viewsDrizzy

Garry Monk...... on 13:32 - Mar 27 by jack247

Because he completely changed the way we play. You must have noticed? Laudrup simply got billy big balls and stopped putting the effort in. You can't accuse Monk of not caring like you can Laudrup, but you can't deny he altered our style for the worse.

The Swansea way died before Garry Monk took over as manager. The fact is since Laudrup got bored there's been no clear direction to our recruitment. We've just been buying players off reputation and whether they work out or not is anyone's guess.

If we tried playing the brand of football we adopted in our first couple seasons when Monk was in charge we'd have been destroyed. Monk set us up to control games and to be difficult to beat which we were good at. Is that less exciting? Of course. However this is a results business and Monk, before another summer of disastrous purchases, was quite good at getting them.

I'm not going to sit here and create a rhetoric about some sort of demise or erosion of our "principles". How pretentious. Our club, predictably given our five year stay, has been chewed up by the Premier League machine.

Eventually we'll be spat out.

Poll: PlanetSwans Tw*t of the Year 2018

Login to get fewer ads

Garry Monk...... on 18:52 - Mar 27 with 1365 viewsjackedup

Garry Monk...... on 13:02 - Mar 27 by Drizzy

Nothing to do with Ash's best season of his career and Gylfi's 8 goals and 10 assists?

Funny how Monk was "carried" by players playing well, but there's no mention of Laudrup looking completely inept once Michu stopped scoring at an absurd rate.

It was never down to only Michu.

There were dozens of other factors:

1) Earlier start to the season.
2) More congested fixture list.
3) More injuries than in the previous season, probably partly due to the above two factors.
4) The failure to secure any of Laudrup's transfer targets. Laudrup said that Swansea need 5-7 players even if nobody left, but Swansea didn't get any of the ones on his list.
5) Britton taking some time to recover fitness after hernia surgery, so they became overly reliant on Canas, who took time to learn the system.
6) Chico having sustained two injuries within the span of a only a few months and taking time to recover form.
7) De Guzman and Routledge playing far from their best.
8) Williams having problems with his hip in the early part of the season, affecting his mobility.
9) Less reliability at the goalkeeper position.
10) Poor fitness of Shelvey and Ki, which meant that one of them would need to be benched.
Garry Monk...... on 19:01 - Mar 27 with 1347 viewsdobjack2

Garry Monk...... on 18:29 - Mar 27 by Drizzy

The Swansea way died before Garry Monk took over as manager. The fact is since Laudrup got bored there's been no clear direction to our recruitment. We've just been buying players off reputation and whether they work out or not is anyone's guess.

If we tried playing the brand of football we adopted in our first couple seasons when Monk was in charge we'd have been destroyed. Monk set us up to control games and to be difficult to beat which we were good at. Is that less exciting? Of course. However this is a results business and Monk, before another summer of disastrous purchases, was quite good at getting them.

I'm not going to sit here and create a rhetoric about some sort of demise or erosion of our "principles". How pretentious. Our club, predictably given our five year stay, has been chewed up by the Premier League machine.

Quite good at getting results until we got found out. Once we got found out we weren't able to adapt and that was his downfall.

At the end we looked like a very average premier league team where the team was far worse than the sum of the individuals at the club: the type of team whose fans thought us easy meat when we got promoted until we showed what a team that played as a team not a collection of individuals could do.
Garry Monk...... on 20:07 - Mar 27 with 1293 viewsUplandsJack

Yes that was a great day out, sadly overshadowed if i recall by the lad from Bolton Fabrice Muamba having a heart attack on the pitch at WHL whilst we were travelling home celebrating 3 points and a great performance. Didn't we score one after 20 plus passes?
However my favourite Prem League performance was the game at home to West Brom 2012 we won 3-1 but it should have been by more. Sure we had only lost 1 game in previous 8 at that point and just blew away a team who were also on good form leading up to game.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2016 20:08]
Garry Monk...... on 20:11 - Mar 27 with 1273 viewsDr_Winston

Garry Monk...... on 18:52 - Mar 27 by jackedup

It was never down to only Michu.

There were dozens of other factors:

1) Earlier start to the season.
2) More congested fixture list.
3) More injuries than in the previous season, probably partly due to the above two factors.
4) The failure to secure any of Laudrup's transfer targets. Laudrup said that Swansea need 5-7 players even if nobody left, but Swansea didn't get any of the ones on his list.
5) Britton taking some time to recover fitness after hernia surgery, so they became overly reliant on Canas, who took time to learn the system.
6) Chico having sustained two injuries within the span of a only a few months and taking time to recover form.
7) De Guzman and Routledge playing far from their best.
8) Williams having problems with his hip in the early part of the season, affecting his mobility.
9) Less reliability at the goalkeeper position.
10) Poor fitness of Shelvey and Ki, which meant that one of them would need to be benched.

11) His refusal to deal with his dickhead of a best friend and agent.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Garry Monk...... on 20:41 - Mar 27 with 1235 viewsnyc_swans

that was the height of passing football. truly a wonderful performance.

i remember leon doing some kind of a pirouette near the touchline that was amazing.
Garry Monk...... on 20:46 - Mar 27 with 1220 viewsDarran

Garry Monk...... on 20:41 - Mar 27 by nyc_swans

that was the height of passing football. truly a wonderful performance.

i remember leon doing some kind of a pirouette near the touchline that was amazing.

Before that game I was sitting in the stand with my kids when the news started getting around that Williams had been taken ill at the team hotel overnight and Monk was playing.
A ground young men nearby started moaning and saying we might aswell f*ck off now if Monk is playing because we won't be getting anything here.

Of course I didn't mention it yo them until the final whistle went.
F*cking idiots.

Garry Monk...... on 21:41 - Mar 27 with 1189 viewsjack247

You talk about revisionism and then you come up with that.

Why would we have been destroyed playing the football that worked for Rodgers and Laudrup? Garrys only real success game before he changed too much.

He started changing it more after we sold Bony. Slowly at first and yes, we finished that season very strongly. He didn't make us difficult to beat for very long though, especially not since we completely changed to his containing diamond. It wasn't just an erosion of footballing principles, it was a pretty spectacular erosion of results too.

The recruitment has been awful, but if you take out Shelvey, Eder and Tabanou, then add Paloschi, Curtis and Guidollin haven't really entertained, but with the same group of players they have made us harder to beat and picked up results.
Garry Monk...... on 22:15 - Mar 27 with 1170 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garry Monk...... on 13:32 - Mar 27 by jack247

Because he completely changed the way we play. You must have noticed? Laudrup simply got billy big balls and stopped putting the effort in. You can't accuse Monk of not caring like you can Laudrup, but you can't deny he altered our style for the worse.

Monk ruined all the good work started as lonng ago by Martinez by letting his ego and his sycohants tell him he really was all that. When he wasn't actually anything of the sort.

Each time I go to Bedd - au........................

Garry Monk...... on 22:24 - Mar 27 with 1145 viewsDr_Winston

"The Swansea Way" is a myth. A self-congratulating nonsense built up around our recent success. We've never been the only team to play passing football.

What we did do well for the better part of fifteen years was to select managers capable of building upon the work of their predecessors and continuing to move the club forward. We've had one misstep since then. Hopefully it won't be two.

Pain or damage don't end the world. Or despair, or f*cking beatings. The world ends when you're dead. Until then, you got more punishment in store. Stand it like a man... and give some back.

Garry Monk...... on 22:25 - Mar 27 with 1140 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Garry Monk...... on 16:01 - Mar 27 by JJJack

Monk's intransigence could have sent us into a Leeds style freefall if it had been left unchecked.

The way he stabbed Laudrup in the back quoting the "erosion of the club's footballing philosophy" and then proceeded to wreck everything we had built over the years, including a much admired (worldwide) footballing style has nothing to do with improving year on year ad infinitum. How ridiculously out of context your post is , as well as being deliberatley obtuse.

Garry Monk...... on 22:27 - Mar 27 with 1139 viewsBrynmill_Jack

Tw*t. Didn't you go to QPR then?????

Garry Monk...... on 22:48 - Mar 27 with 1100 viewsWingstandwood

Garry Monk...... on 22:25 - Mar 27 by Brynmill_Jack

Monk's intransigence could have sent us into a Leeds style freefall if it had been left unchecked.

The way he stabbed Laudrup in the back quoting the "erosion of the club's footballing philosophy" and then proceeded to wreck everything we had built over the years, including a much admired (worldwide) footballing style has nothing to do with improving year on year ad infinitum. How ridiculously out of context your post is , as well as being deliberatley obtuse.

SCFC were in freefall too true. A situation where a team was having zero-two shots on target for an entire 90+ minutes and when Monk could not put his finger on it? Talk about alarm bells ringing big time. If he had stayed we were destined for relegation!

Argus!

Garry Monk...... on 23:35 - Mar 27 with 1066 viewsMorfa_Same

We didn't control games with Monk in charge. Quite the reverse in fact. Our possession stats went through the floor.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2016 23:52]
Garry Monk...... on 23:40 - Mar 27 with 1056 viewsDarran

Garry Monk...... on 23:35 - Mar 27 by Morfa_Same

We didn't control games with Monk in charge. Quite the reverse in fact. Our possession stats went through the floor.
[Post edited 27 Mar 2016 23:52]

We still won a few though.

Garry Monk...... on 00:48 - Mar 28 with 1024 viewsjackedup

Garry Monk...... on 20:11 - Mar 27 by Dr_Winston

11) His refusal to deal with his dickhead of a best friend and agent.

That "dickhead" brought quality players at bargain basement prices and thus was able to catapult Swansea to the League Cup title and to Europe.

What happened when he was no longer able to participate in the recruitment?

We were saddled with the likes of Fernandez, Gomis, Tabanou, Naughton, and the like. The only one who matched the quality of the Tutumlu recruitments in the Monk era was Fabianski. But even his recruitment was a kind of curse in disguise, because Monk became overly reliant on him.
Garry Monk...... on 01:21 - Mar 28 with 1000 viewsdameedna

I hope monk gets the Villa job
Could be a good home for some of our squad and it could help both clubs move on to have monk in at a big championship club
Garry Monk...... on 03:52 - Mar 28 with 963 viewsjackedup

Interesting to see Monk's tenure in light of an theorist on organisational management and change named Kotter.

"John Kotter (1996) found eight common reasons why change efforts fail. Complacency was a key factor, preventing people from seeing the need for urgency. Lack of a guiding coalition to steer and build the change effort was another, causing hapless change agents to struggle with ‘undoable’ challenges. Underestimating the power of a vision, and under-communicating the vision and rationale for change meant that people did not commit to a joint effort. Similarly, allowing obstacles to block the vision caused change efforts to go backwards. Failing to create short-term ‘wins’ to give people a sense of progress, declaring victory too soon and leaving the tough things unchanged, and failure to institutionalize changes firmly enough in the corporate culture caused organizations to lose the benefits of what had been achieved." quote from Holbeche, Linda. Understanding change. Routledge, 2007.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024