Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum 03:31 - Sep 19 with 9781 viewsNorthernr

https://www.fansnetwork.co.uk/football/queensparkrangers/news/60881
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 07:16 - Sep 19 with 5649 viewsSimonD

Thanks Clive.

With regard to the development of Loftus Road, we know that the admin and offices are being moved to Heston so that does free up some space to re-purpose for off-field activities. That could well be the extent of the current plans for LR.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 07:25 - Sep 19 with 5624 viewsdmm

Thanks, as always, for the write up, Clive. I watched the FF but it's really helpful to have this.

I submitted the question on player fitness and was pleased to have had it dealt with comprehensively by Ben Williams. However, I am now left with further questions.

BW said he's from an "innovation background". Does this mean his approach to preseason fitness is a novel one? Do other clubs use the same method or are we in effect a guinea pig club for his theories?

I'm not questioning the man's knowledge. He's clearly an experienced expert. But, I am left wondering why his approach wouldn't be the standard one among most clubs.

We will, of course, find out how effective it is as the season progresses.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 08:09 - Sep 19 with 5488 viewsDeanoMD

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 07:25 - Sep 19 by dmm

Thanks, as always, for the write up, Clive. I watched the FF but it's really helpful to have this.

I submitted the question on player fitness and was pleased to have had it dealt with comprehensively by Ben Williams. However, I am now left with further questions.

BW said he's from an "innovation background". Does this mean his approach to preseason fitness is a novel one? Do other clubs use the same method or are we in effect a guinea pig club for his theories?

I'm not questioning the man's knowledge. He's clearly an experienced expert. But, I am left wondering why his approach wouldn't be the standard one among most clubs.

We will, of course, find out how effective it is as the season progresses.

I work in Sports Performance, strength and conditioning specifically and to be fair to BW his approach of building robustness and resilience within the individual is pretty standard in our field and is the right approach.

Clearly the team last year was in poor condition and that's been highlighted with Beale's treatment of Willock and others.

I really liked what BW had to say and it was refreshing to see some sense being talked.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 08:49 - Sep 19 with 5366 viewsGaryBannister86

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 07:16 - Sep 19 by SimonD

Thanks Clive.

With regard to the development of Loftus Road, we know that the admin and offices are being moved to Heston so that does free up some space to re-purpose for off-field activities. That could well be the extent of the current plans for LR.

Thanks again Clive.

New stadium stuff really interesting. So frustrating that we appear to be going nowhere with it, but I like the move back to trying to redevelop Loftus Road. I am a bit concerned that the plan would not be "to add more seats" as "we don't fill it now". Surely build a better facility and more people will come? And considering our home crowds are now about 50% bigger than when we were beating Luton 6-1 with a top Premier League side in the 90s (att:barely 10,000), doesn't this lack a bit of ambition?

Would love to rebuild the entire Loft into one stand with no tiers, have it all Rail Seating and actually make the home end imposing again.

But....I know, logistics and all that.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2023 8:50]
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 08:51 - Sep 19 with 5341 viewsstevec

Thanks for the write up.

Fascinated by LH reply to data analysis, shows just how important a deeper knowledge in that area can be for clubs, never occurred to me the betting companies aspect.

Have to say, the sudden focus on developing the existing stadium is sounding like another excuse to sit on their hands for another 10 years. ‘We can’t even fill the existing stadium’ is an extraordinarily negative way for Directors to look at the subject.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 08:52 - Sep 19 with 5348 viewsGloucs_R

Feel like we've been mugged off again regarding the stadium. It's cramped, uncomfortable, poor views and we don't sell out because floating fans don't have a good experience. So buying the school and building a conference suite is going to make FA difference to the fans.

That's what I suspect they mean by staying at LR.

Poll: Are we staying up?

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 09:19 - Sep 19 with 5232 viewsderbyhoop

If we could do something to take the pillars away, it would be an improvement in the match day experience. No idea about potential costs though.

Many thanks to Clive for sitting through this. The major revelation was that we are likely to be staying at LR for the foreseeable future. Most of the rest was nothing new and far too much that had been raised before.
[Post edited 19 Sep 2023 11:30]

Travel is fatal to prejudice, bigotry and narrow-mindedness, and many of our people need it sorely on these accounts. Broad, wholesome, charitable views of men and things cannot be acquired by vegetating in one little corner of the Earth all one’s lifetime. (Mark Twain) Find me on twitter @derbyhoop

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 09:30 - Sep 19 with 5191 viewssprocket

Not for the first time I thought Hoos did not come across well. Seemed a bit jumpy and agitated. Not very CEO like. I appreciate he is generally in the firing line and more so now that Les has left but still I thought he could have been a little more restrained.
Login to get fewer ads

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 09:37 - Sep 19 with 5149 viewscolinallcars

Thanks Clive. Nice to see the Birkenhead Evacuation getting a mention in the Taylor Richards section.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 09:47 - Sep 19 with 5109 viewsdutch

The development of Loftus Road has always been the best way forward. A venue with so many transport links, pubs, restaurants, close to the centre of town is our only real asset as a club. Brentford prove you don't need a big stadium in the premier, revenue is from TV etc. Bring this place up to scratch, make it pay its way in a part of London which is gentrifying at jet pace and everybody should be happy. I have long dreaded the idea of a wasteland in Heston or somewhere. We have the equivalent of the tumbledown old house in Notting Hill my parents swapped for a council house in the boondocks and regretted forever. Do it up and watch it go up in value.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 09:57 - Sep 19 with 5063 viewsdaveB

Whilst I do get the piss taking of questions like can we kick off at 7pm and why is the food shit these are all valid points to be made and this is the only way to do it. With the state of the transport system it is almost impossible to get home from midweek away games by train anymore, maybe kicking off earlier as they happily did during covid might be an idea.

Also the food and general service at Loftus Road is crap, try getting a beer at half time in the blue and white bar, is an absolute nightmare and nothing ever done about it, has got far worse in recent years.

of course when you have 1 win in 18 those things feel a bit daft but it's small details at clubs like ours and we get those small things wrong

My overall take away was I've heard it all before to be honest.
The talk of learnt lessons, generate more revenue etc heard it all when Holloway was manager 5 years ago and the minute we did well and got to a position where we could spend we went berserk again and put ourselves back to square one. I see absolutely no sign that they recgonise this or that if we get through this season they won't do the same thing again next summer
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 09:57 - Sep 19 with 5058 viewsTheChef

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 09:30 - Sep 19 by sprocket

Not for the first time I thought Hoos did not come across well. Seemed a bit jumpy and agitated. Not very CEO like. I appreciate he is generally in the firing line and more so now that Les has left but still I thought he could have been a little more restrained.

"We got 99 problems but the pitch ain’t one. Hit me.”

Did LH really say that??

If so, mega LOLZZZZZZZZZ

Poll: How old is everyone on here?

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 10:04 - Sep 19 with 5028 viewsAntti_Heinola

Thanks so much Clive - really appreciate you doing all that as it's far more fun for me to read than sit through the entire thing.

Are people really asking for games to start at 7pm? I don't know about anyone else, but unless you work in Shep Bush, how the eff are you going to make it to the ground for 6.45 (minimum) to get in on time? Absurd.

Bare bones.

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 10:23 - Sep 19 with 4951 viewsstevec

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 10:04 - Sep 19 by Antti_Heinola

Thanks so much Clive - really appreciate you doing all that as it's far more fun for me to read than sit through the entire thing.

Are people really asking for games to start at 7pm? I don't know about anyone else, but unless you work in Shep Bush, how the eff are you going to make it to the ground for 6.45 (minimum) to get in on time? Absurd.

Rush hour on the roads these days is around 3pm.

Market games to the ‘WFH’ population and we’d fill two grounds every midweek with kick off at 5pm and be home for dinner.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 10:32 - Sep 19 with 4924 viewsSydneyRs

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 08:51 - Sep 19 by stevec

Thanks for the write up.

Fascinated by LH reply to data analysis, shows just how important a deeper knowledge in that area can be for clubs, never occurred to me the betting companies aspect.

Have to say, the sudden focus on developing the existing stadium is sounding like another excuse to sit on their hands for another 10 years. ‘We can’t even fill the existing stadium’ is an extraordinarily negative way for Directors to look at the subject.

While that does sound negative I've heard exactly the same statement/argument from many fans in recent years.

Also Brentford seem quite happy to have a new stadium which doesn't hold any more fans than LR does.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 11:31 - Sep 19 with 4637 viewsWegerles_Stairs

"We have gone back and looked at every function this club performs: the job the board does, the executives, the performance people, the medics… There is not a vertical currently at this club that is not under review."

Shouldn't that be a basic requirement of every business?

Similarly, it's taken them more than a decade to decide to redevelop Loftus Road? When do we reckon that might happen? 2035?

Actions speak louder than words, so let's see...
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 11:34 - Sep 19 with 4628 viewsWegerles_Stairs

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 10:32 - Sep 19 by SydneyRs

While that does sound negative I've heard exactly the same statement/argument from many fans in recent years.

Also Brentford seem quite happy to have a new stadium which doesn't hold any more fans than LR does.

We've won one home game in 18 - I think they're incredibly fortunate to have the level of support they have at the moment. If we were successful, we'd fill the stadium regularly, and if we were in the Premier League, a 25,000-stadium would enable walk-ups from football tourists.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 12:36 - Sep 19 with 4430 viewsHaslingtonR

My last train from Euston leaves at 10pm, so I have to miss evening matches.
It would be interesting to try some earlier starts to see the overall effect.
Possibly when playing a team travelling a long way?
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 12:57 - Sep 19 with 4354 viewsDavieQPR

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 12:36 - Sep 19 by HaslingtonR

My last train from Euston leaves at 10pm, so I have to miss evening matches.
It would be interesting to try some earlier starts to see the overall effect.
Possibly when playing a team travelling a long way?

You've also got all this extra time malarkey meaning quite a few fans with trains to catch miss the end of matches.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 13:48 - Sep 19 with 4164 viewsR_from_afar

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 11:34 - Sep 19 by Wegerles_Stairs

We've won one home game in 18 - I think they're incredibly fortunate to have the level of support they have at the moment. If we were successful, we'd fill the stadium regularly, and if we were in the Premier League, a 25,000-stadium would enable walk-ups from football tourists.

I'm afraid you've rather defeated your own argument by talking about us being in the Premier League in the same post as you flag up our 1 in 18 home record...

"Things had started becoming increasingly desperate at Loftus Road but QPR have been handed a massive lifeline and the place has absolutely erupted. it's carnage. It's bedlam. It's 1-1."

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 14:02 - Sep 19 with 4119 viewsRs_Holy

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 09:57 - Sep 19 by TheChef

"We got 99 problems but the pitch ain’t one. Hit me.”

Did LH really say that??

If so, mega LOLZZZZZZZZZ

has anyone got the technology to put Hoos voice and visuals onto the actual song ... would be cool :)
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 14:32 - Sep 19 with 3973 viewsNewBee

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 09:47 - Sep 19 by dutch

The development of Loftus Road has always been the best way forward. A venue with so many transport links, pubs, restaurants, close to the centre of town is our only real asset as a club. Brentford prove you don't need a big stadium in the premier, revenue is from TV etc. Bring this place up to scratch, make it pay its way in a part of London which is gentrifying at jet pace and everybody should be happy. I have long dreaded the idea of a wasteland in Heston or somewhere. We have the equivalent of the tumbledown old house in Notting Hill my parents swapped for a council house in the boondocks and regretted forever. Do it up and watch it go up in value.

Except LR is not like an old house in Notting Hill, where a new kitchen/loft extension/garden conservatory and a lick of paint will do the job, since the basic structure is sound. Nor are there (the footballing equivalent of) legions of punters queueing up to buy the place from you the moment it comes on the market.

To get LR to modern H&S standards, never mind peoples expectations of comfort and amenity these days, you would have to knock down whole stands and start again, deep level foundations and all. Which would cost tens of millions without greatly increasing capacity, if at all.

Which in turn would take years, decades even, to recoup in match revenue.

And as for this notion of developing non-matchday revenue for the other 340 days when LR is not being used for games, who else amongst the other clubs in the 92 who do not have new and modern, purpose-built stadia are doing that?

I'm not saying QPR couldn't being in some extra revenue from somewhere, and in the club's present condition, every penny is vaulable. But what exactly could the club do with LR?

Office space? Since Covid/WFH, commerical rents in London have actually falling by (I think) a third. Conferencing? What with Zoom and the like, existing companies, who have vast experience in the field are struggling at the moment, so does anyone think a newcomer could hack it? Catering and Weddings? Sorry, but London is coming down with far superior venues. Gym and Community use? Maybe, but such users simply don't have big bucks to spend. While the other development option - i.e. knock it down and build houses - obviously isn't a runner

You reference Brentford, but even with a modern new stadium, including extra corporate and premium seating etc, the owner has openly declared that the club could not pay its way in the Championship - PL TV and Prize money are the key.

And LR is a wasting asset, costing ever more in maintenance etc, which will eventually be deemed unfit for professional league football unless significant money is spent on it, or capacity is drastically reduced - see eg Leyton Orient.

Therefore unless QPR can get promoted, and/or the owners put their hands in their pockets and buy a site for a new stadium, then it's hard to see any positive future for QPR so long as you stay at LR.

And I say that with genuine regret, since for all the rivalry between QPR and the Bees etc, I think it good for the game generally, and local football fans especially, for West London to have three* flourishing professional football clubs.

* - Chelsea can go fcuk themselves.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 14:37 - Sep 19 with 3961 viewsWegerles_Stairs

To solve the speaker (sorry, wiring) issue, have they thought about hiring someone with a really loud voice? Perhaps Brian Blessed or Totoro. I'm sure they'd be up for pulling some pints and selling some pies too - double bubble.
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 15:04 - Sep 19 with 3900 viewsterryb

That might be offset Antti by the number of supporters that don't go to midweek matches because of the late kick off & no trains home .

The ground used to be fuller for 7.30pm kick offs than it was on a Saturday. Do people really have more of a problem getting to the ground for that time than in the past? I do appreciate that I'm going back 50 years here!
All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 15:53 - Sep 19 with 3730 viewsGaryBannister86

All quiet on the Western Avenue – Fans Forum on 14:32 - Sep 19 by NewBee

Except LR is not like an old house in Notting Hill, where a new kitchen/loft extension/garden conservatory and a lick of paint will do the job, since the basic structure is sound. Nor are there (the footballing equivalent of) legions of punters queueing up to buy the place from you the moment it comes on the market.

To get LR to modern H&S standards, never mind peoples expectations of comfort and amenity these days, you would have to knock down whole stands and start again, deep level foundations and all. Which would cost tens of millions without greatly increasing capacity, if at all.

Which in turn would take years, decades even, to recoup in match revenue.

And as for this notion of developing non-matchday revenue for the other 340 days when LR is not being used for games, who else amongst the other clubs in the 92 who do not have new and modern, purpose-built stadia are doing that?

I'm not saying QPR couldn't being in some extra revenue from somewhere, and in the club's present condition, every penny is vaulable. But what exactly could the club do with LR?

Office space? Since Covid/WFH, commerical rents in London have actually falling by (I think) a third. Conferencing? What with Zoom and the like, existing companies, who have vast experience in the field are struggling at the moment, so does anyone think a newcomer could hack it? Catering and Weddings? Sorry, but London is coming down with far superior venues. Gym and Community use? Maybe, but such users simply don't have big bucks to spend. While the other development option - i.e. knock it down and build houses - obviously isn't a runner

You reference Brentford, but even with a modern new stadium, including extra corporate and premium seating etc, the owner has openly declared that the club could not pay its way in the Championship - PL TV and Prize money are the key.

And LR is a wasting asset, costing ever more in maintenance etc, which will eventually be deemed unfit for professional league football unless significant money is spent on it, or capacity is drastically reduced - see eg Leyton Orient.

Therefore unless QPR can get promoted, and/or the owners put their hands in their pockets and buy a site for a new stadium, then it's hard to see any positive future for QPR so long as you stay at LR.

And I say that with genuine regret, since for all the rivalry between QPR and the Bees etc, I think it good for the game generally, and local football fans especially, for West London to have three* flourishing professional football clubs.

* - Chelsea can go fcuk themselves.

I do agree with this argument about the non-matchday revenue. Unless we can build something that can host other sporting events like boxing or NFL or some such, is there really any money to be had in it?

Interesting, though, that Hoos mentioned the training ground is already beginning to bring in money from Paddy Power etc.
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024