Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? 10:55 - Nov 25 with 3298 viewssteve_g

Motor Racing for me - glorified Joy riders!

Poll: Has the O's treatment of fans re: court proceedings changed your opinion of them

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 10:58 - Nov 25 with 2511 viewsLala

Boxing...

when the monkey is high you do not stare you do not stare 🥴
Poll: Blackpool v Arsenal scoreline , just wanted to try out a poll 😏

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 12:22 - Nov 25 with 2488 viewsOdinsRaven

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 10:58 - Nov 25 by Lala

Boxing...

Darts. Just a load of boozy fat men and women chucking small spears at a piece of cork
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 12:41 - Nov 25 with 2476 viewsThe_Ghost

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 12:22 - Nov 25 by OdinsRaven

Darts. Just a load of boozy fat men and women chucking small spears at a piece of cork

Tiddlywinks
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 12:42 - Nov 25 with 2471 viewsWizaard

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 12:41 - Nov 25 by The_Ghost

Tiddlywinks

Fishing. I've a lot of fond memories of fishing off the pier, but no way is it a sport.
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 13:17 - Nov 25 with 2457 viewsArchibaldKnox

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 12:42 - Nov 25 by Wizaard

Fishing. I've a lot of fond memories of fishing off the pier, but no way is it a sport.

There are sports and there are parlour games.
In the latter category comes darts, snooker, billiards, table tennis, shove ha'penny, bowls, ten-pin bowling, curling, golf etc. Activities that you don't need to be fit for, or that old people can do.

My other category for rejecting an activity as a sport is if a machine is doing more work than the person, or indeed all the exercise. So driving sports like motor racing. And Yachting. To a certain extent horse riding such as racing, dressage, cross-country eventing. Cycling counts as a sport because the machine just multiplies the human effort, though a better bike can give you the necessary edge to win.

One more discriminator is that old Olympic motto, Citius, Altius, Fortius, (Faster, Higher, Stronger). If you can measure the performance to decide objectively who has won, it is a sport. If you need judges to score it on artistic merit then its a form of ballroom dancing. So the following are not sports: synchronised swimming, figure skating and ice dancing, equestrian dressage (fails on several levels), ski jumping, diving, trampoline.

Of course the one exception that challenges that last rule is gymnastics. How can one say that the parallel bars or a rings routine is not a sport? They take extreme muscular strength, coordination, skill and bravery. All of which are assessed subjectively by judges.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 15:30]
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 13:23 - Nov 25 with 2453 viewstde74

The implement multiplies the human effort in golf too.

The king of non-sports is Rugby League. It's a game invented by and for muscle marys to play, and dour whippet-lovers to keep half an eye on while they discuss pigeon-fancying.
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 13:24 - Nov 25 with 2453 viewsdazbaz70

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 13:17 - Nov 25 by ArchibaldKnox

In the latter category comes darts, snooker, billiards, table tennis, shove ha'penny, bowls, ten-pin bowling, curling, golf etc. Activities that you don't need to be fit for, or that old people can do.

My other category for rejecting an activity as a sport is if a machine is doing more work than the person, or indeed all the exercise. So driving sports like motor racing. And Yachting. To a certain extent horse riding such as racing, dressage, cross-country eventing. Cycling counts as a sport because the machine just multiplies the human effort, though a better bike can give you the necessary edge to win.

One more discriminator is that old Olympic motto, Citius, Altius, Fortius, (Faster, Higher, Stronger). If you can measure the performance to decide objectively who has won, it is a sport. If you need judges to score it on artistic merit then its a form of ballroom dancing. So the following are not sports: synchronised swimming, figure skating and ice dancing, equestrian dressage (fails on several levels), ski jumping, diving, trampoline.

Of course the one exception that challenges that last rule is gymnastics. How can one say that the parallel bars or a rings routine is not a sport? They take extreme muscular strength, coordination, skill and bravery. All of which are assessed subjectively by judges.

Blackpool C. Sport must involve compettion of some sort, and we really are not much competition for anyone.
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 14:04 - Nov 25 with 2438 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

Good post by AK, I tend to agree with a good deal of that. I am completely turned off by all forms of motor sport, with the exception of speedway, which looks quite skilful.

edit to add : some other points. I don't quite agree with AK about the man/horse events, there must be a distinction between man/machine and man/sentient being events, I think. And cycling doesn't neatly fit anywhere, for very similar reasons to those AK put forward regarding gymnastics.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 14:25]

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Login to get fewer ads

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 14:23 - Nov 25 with 2427 viewsstraightatthewall

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 14:04 - Nov 25 by basilrobbiereborn

Good post by AK, I tend to agree with a good deal of that. I am completely turned off by all forms of motor sport, with the exception of speedway, which looks quite skilful.

edit to add : some other points. I don't quite agree with AK about the man/horse events, there must be a distinction between man/machine and man/sentient being events, I think. And cycling doesn't neatly fit anywhere, for very similar reasons to those AK put forward regarding gymnastics.
[Post edited 25 Nov 2014 14:25]

There's loads of Olympic events that I'd remove on the basis of them being pointless:

On the track:

200m
400m hurdles
800m
5000m
10000m
(Steeplechase stays in but it should be run cross country).
triple jump
hammer
shotput
Heptathlon
Decathlon
All those walking events.

In the pool:

All strokes that aren't front crawl and all distances except 50m and 1500m.

There's loads more minority ones too.

AK - Ski Jumping should remove the judging part and go purely on distance.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 14:29 - Nov 25 with 2419 viewsbasilrobbiereborn

SATW doesn't really believe any of the above. He just want to cut down the amount of time that the Olympics interferes with Emmerdale and East Enders.

Icon? It's all Rio Ferdinand's fault.
Blog: pause for breath

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 18:20 - Nov 25 with 2383 viewsmoney_money_money

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 14:29 - Nov 25 by basilrobbiereborn

SATW doesn't really believe any of the above. He just want to cut down the amount of time that the Olympics interferes with Emmerdale and East Enders.

Darts ,snooker, ice-dancing, dressage, synchronised swimming , anything involving a panel of judges and obviously golf and cricket. Oh yes, shooting animals although the Royals and Karl Oyston and chums would disagree!
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 20:22 - Nov 25 with 2366 viewsWizaard

Golf is a sport. Anyone who hasn't played should give it a go and then come back and tell me that they're really good at it.
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 00:23 - Nov 26 with 2348 viewstangerinehad

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 20:22 - Nov 25 by Wizaard

Golf is a sport. Anyone who hasn't played should give it a go and then come back and tell me that they're really good at it.

I once had the pleasure of driving a formula ford single seater around silverstone for 7 laps.....i took bridge corner at half the speed mansell had the week before and nearlyb filled my undies with lasagne.....i was utterly exhausted and you have to have assistance when getting out of ghe car....hamilton will have driven 50+ laps at speeds we can only masturbate over and still have thed energy to bang his mrs, proper athletes who are incredibly fit and who spend hours perfecting there skills. Of course its a sport and is watched by millions. Rugby league however is for ponces.

"fire"!!!!!

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 00:41 - Nov 26 with 2349 viewsWizaard

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 00:23 - Nov 26 by tangerinehad

I once had the pleasure of driving a formula ford single seater around silverstone for 7 laps.....i took bridge corner at half the speed mansell had the week before and nearlyb filled my undies with lasagne.....i was utterly exhausted and you have to have assistance when getting out of ghe car....hamilton will have driven 50+ laps at speeds we can only masturbate over and still have thed energy to bang his mrs, proper athletes who are incredibly fit and who spend hours perfecting there skills. Of course its a sport and is watched by millions. Rugby league however is for ponces.

Rugby League is being confused with Union here. That is for ponces.
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 06:42 - Nov 26 with 2340 viewsPNENIL

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 00:41 - Nov 26 by Wizaard

Rugby League is being confused with Union here. That is for ponces.

Easy rule of thumb. If a sport doesn't have a ball in it in some shape or form , then its not worth watching.
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 09:11 - Nov 26 with 2326 viewsTwoPhillips

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 06:42 - Nov 26 by PNENIL

Easy rule of thumb. If a sport doesn't have a ball in it in some shape or form , then its not worth watching.

The fishing one is interesting - as a sport - wonder why no one has ever been nominated for a sports award for it!!

Poll: That final Premier League Relegation Place

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 13:09 - Nov 26 with 2311 viewsArchibaldKnox

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 20:22 - Nov 25 by Wizaard

Golf isn't a sport. It's a pastime. It might require a great deal of skill, a bit like knitting. But you don't have to be fit to play it at any reasonable level. I give you Darren Clarke, recent Open winner. And there are plenty more examples.
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 13:33 - Nov 26 with 2294 viewsstraightatthewall

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 13:09 - Nov 26 by ArchibaldKnox

Golf isn't a sport. It's a pastime. It might require a great deal of skill, a bit like knitting. But you don't have to be fit to play it at any reasonable level. I give you Darren Clarke, recent Open winner. And there are plenty more examples.

Anything involving horses isn't a sport.

We got Bogdanovic, Oyston got very rich

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 18:08 - Nov 26 with 2264 viewsjanegallagher

More and more top young golfer s are in peak physical condition. Only need to look at the way McIlroy has bulked up over the past few years. That's not to say you can't play the sport if you're over-weight or out of condition but more and more of the world's elite need flexibility power and speed as part of their game.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 18:10]

We’ve got Simon Sadler

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 23:36 - Nov 26 with 2223 viewsArchibaldKnox

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 18:08 - Nov 26 by janegallagher

More and more top young golfer s are in peak physical condition. Only need to look at the way McIlroy has bulked up over the past few years. That's not to say you can't play the sport if you're over-weight or out of condition but more and more of the world's elite need flexibility power and speed as part of their game.
[Post edited 26 Nov 2014 18:10]

So a few golfers are fitter than others? I don't see any of them as aerobic marathon runners though. Most golfers spend their time off the course trying out new fangled iron-wood-graphite thingies or trying to decide which colour of cashmere sweater matches their sta-prest slacks. Training, god forbid. Maybe knock a few balls out on the practice range, or set up the putting device on the living room carpet.
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 01:22 - Nov 27 with 2218 viewsVMcB

Fishing definitely, and synchronised swimming.

I would say golf but I might get into trouble if I do.....

And AK, nowt wrong with knitting (or crochet) - although I concede they may not be sports!!
[Post edited 30 Nov 2014 20:54]
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 16:57 - Nov 27 with 2197 viewsmoney_money_money

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 01:22 - Nov 27 by VMcB

Fishing definitely, and synchronised swimming.

I would say golf but I might get into trouble if I do.....

And AK, nowt wrong with knitting (or crochet) - although I concede they may not be sports!!
[Post edited 30 Nov 2014 20:54]

Golf is just a long walk between putting greens, Healthier to concentrate on the walking and cut out the putting!
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 19:28 - Nov 27 with 2173 viewsTheDragon

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 16:57 - Nov 27 by money_money_money

Golf is just a long walk between putting greens, Healthier to concentrate on the walking and cut out the putting!

Anything that needs a judge.

Synchronized swimming, Diving, Ice Dancing etc etc.

If you can't measure it, it aint a sport!
Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 20:41 - Nov 27 with 2165 viewsPlumbs

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 19:28 - Nov 27 by TheDragon

Anything that needs a judge.

Synchronized swimming, Diving, Ice Dancing etc etc.

If you can't measure it, it aint a sport!

BASIL darts- it takes an hour to play and then 3 days on a forum telling us all about it.

Gurning and shoving ferrets down your trousers. Not my cup of tea but it keeps the Yarkshire Seasiders amused for hours.

Real fans go to pubs like the HITW or the Welly

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 10:19 - Nov 28 with 2143 viewsArchibaldKnox

Which sport don't you regard as a sport? on 20:41 - Nov 27 by Plumbs

BASIL darts- it takes an hour to play and then 3 days on a forum telling us all about it.

Gurning and shoving ferrets down your trousers. Not my cup of tea but it keeps the Yarkshire Seasiders amused for hours.

Extreme drinking contests.

The timed yard of ale etc. And any other gastronomic activities against the clock, e.g. number of pickled eggs eaten within one minute.
[Post edited 28 Nov 2014 10:20]
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024