Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
50th anniversary next week 00:36 - Dec 20 with 2345 viewsD_Alien

My first game watching Dale was 27 December 1965, a 6-0 thrashing of Wrexham with Reg Jenkins nearly breaking the back of the Sandy net. After such a start, it was downhill all the way for the next couple of years, then came our first promotion and a couple of years in the relative limelight.

Then nearly 40 years of dross, doggedly hanging in there, missing batches of games at times due to work and other responsibilities but never losing the will to turn up. Every click through the turnstile felt the same, still does; the prospect of seeing something special and not being too disappointed when it didn't happen; getting used to watching the away fans going mad when their team scored yet another winner.

Then along came Keith Hill. He didn't care about our history but he had a huge instinctive feel for what made lower league players tick and he set about turning base metal into gold. Of course, the time would come when he'd want to try his hand in a bigger pool but it didn't work out for him, and much to everyone's relief he came back and immediately set us ticking again like clockwork.

In all these fifty years, the one thing that's made watching Dale feel like the right thing to do is the feeling of being part of something local but with national attention. When we were crap, we kept going and that was (had to be) enough to give a sense of pride.

Now we're no longer crap, but never in those 50 years have I felt down after watching Dale win like I do now. Is that my fault? What's changed? I felt great when I got home - always have done after winning, or even after a pulsating draw or narrow defeat against a much wealthier team. I don't need telling how I should react at a football match, supporting MY team. I get frustrated if a player makes a daft pass and I'll sometimes shout about it. That's what football is about, the very essence of the game.

I go mad, still, when we score. Am I wrong? I know I'm not. I understand the modern game, seen it develop, evolve. I've evolved as a supporter with it. And I certainly don't need someone with a coaching badge telling me otherwise. A badge means rock all if you don't understand the emotions of someone watching a football game, when YOUR team is playing, win lose or draw.

[Post edited 20 Dec 2015 0:38]

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

50th anniversary next week on 01:46 - Dec 20 with 2298 viewsTVOS1907

Brilliant post, D_Alien.

I'm a mere 17 years behind you in supporting longevity, but fully appreciate and understand every point you make.
[Post edited 20 Dec 2015 1:46]

When I was your age, I used to enjoy the odd game of tennis. Or was it golf?

50th anniversary next week on 02:36 - Dec 20 with 2279 viewsTalkingSutty

Nice one. To be honest i am not even mithered what league we compete in (i prefer league one). I would still watch us in the dog and duck league. I get my enjoyment through the players graffting their nuts off to get the win, that's all you can ask for.
50th anniversary next on 07:41 - Dec 20 with 2240 viewsdavidab2202

Brilliant post
Coming up to 63 years for me,still get a feeling of anticipation and hope whenever I know that I will be able to get to"a game at Spotland "--not as often as I would like as my twilight years are being spent in a warmer climate than Rochdale but managed to be at yesterdays game.Yes if I am being honest seen better games (and plenty much worse ) but we won,just knowing that we got 3 points towards our aim of at least retaining our league one status was plenty enough for me.
3 more points on Boxing Day will make my Christmas even better after family time.
50th anniversary next week on 08:04 - Dec 20 with 2236 viewsColDale

The years creep up on you. I remember thinking that thirty years qualified you to an entitlement to write those nasty letters to the Observer, as my abiding memory of them was that they always started with a "I've been supporting this club for thirty years" before launching into a tirade. 2016 will be 35 years for me since my first game (no idea what game it was). Completely different club these days. Reckon the club that I first started watching wouldn't have looked out of place in the Conference North these days.
50th anniversary next week on 09:19 - Dec 20 with 2170 viewsThe_DJ

50th anniversary next week on 08:04 - Dec 20 by ColDale

The years creep up on you. I remember thinking that thirty years qualified you to an entitlement to write those nasty letters to the Observer, as my abiding memory of them was that they always started with a "I've been supporting this club for thirty years" before launching into a tirade. 2016 will be 35 years for me since my first game (no idea what game it was). Completely different club these days. Reckon the club that I first started watching wouldn't have looked out of place in the Conference North these days.

Passed the 40 years of support last year.

Back in 1974 Rochdale FC was a music hall joke , not anymore.
A club wth dignity we should all be proud of.
50th anniversary next week on 11:27 - Dec 20 with 2109 viewsSuddenLad

Great post to begin with D_Alien. Admirable additions by others.

We've obviously watched the same dross, the same duffers, the hopeless journeymen, experienced the same seemingly endless years of journeys South, returning with no more than a programme and a petrol bill to show for it. Pointless and potless.

Let's remember that support was so bad in the 1980's that the team coach doubled up as the supporters club coach on many an occasion with Vic Halom acting as bus conductor and even scrounging sandwiches from travelling supporters. I'd like to think that we've moved on since those days - in every respect - and that they will never be repeated at Spotland.

All of us are entitled to be disappointed by a particular performance or result or the individual performance of a player on any given day. That's what supporting any club involves. Disappointment and delight go hand in hand whichever team you follow.

Unfortunately, what now seems to be an element of modern day support is an underlying nastiness in both attitude and comments aimed at players, management, directors. There is an unhealthy 'urgency to succeed' whilst apparently ingnoring the massive strides that have been made and which continue to be made. Winning games isn't and never has been always easy on the eye.

As I've said before, it's time people stopped analysing every word and phrase uttered by the manager in post-match interviews to try and find a controversial sound bite or use his comments as a stick to beat him with. Colin Murphy anyone ??

The bloke is doing his level best to take this club to uncharted waters. We are enjoying the best days of our lives as supporters of this club and have some of the brightest prospects emerging from the academy that we have ever been privileged to see. We have also seen some of the best players ever to don a Dale shirt under his tenure. Incredibly, there are those who seem dissatisfied.

If you don't like what he says, don't listen. KH is gullible in the hands of the media. It's his biggest weakness. The time has probably come for him to stop falling for the bait that the abysmal, mischievous journos throw at him. They aren't supporters and so they don't give a fig what reaction they get as long as it's printworthy. Then they trawl these boards and probably grin lie Cheshire cats at the reaction. Fook 'em.

Nobody is asking supporters to 'like' Keith Hill, but give the man the credit he deserves and respect what he has achieved. He's entitled to feel aggrieved occasionally when he senses adverse comments being made to his staff.

Mid-table in League One is quite simply an unbelievable place for this club to be and we'd be wise to think about what the alternative might be if KH wasn't here.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

50th anniversary next week on 12:36 - Dec 20 with 2056 viewsDaleView

LateAugust 1952: Rochdale 0 Crewe Alexandra 1. That was my first game (as a spectator) and I was thrilled to bits because it was a new experience and one that I continued over the following years. Last week at Swindon I left the ground with a sense of satisfaction because even with 10 men, The Dale worked their socks off and with a little bit of luck could have made a draw or even a win. When I hear words like "but never in those 50 years have I felt down after watching Dale win like I do now. Is that my fault? What's changed?" I can offer an answer. It's attitudes. D_Alien has changed. He has lost some of the thrill of being at a football match on a Saturday afternoon surrounded by his friends, chatting about what should/could have happened and not realizing that the players do their best and the manager does his best, which is much better than all the previous managers of Rochdale AFC have ever achieved since I have been watching them. If you don't play well and win 3 points, that's pretty good if you lose 2-1 and play very well, that gives me a good feeling too. Even though The Dale lost the Wembley play-off, that was a thrill just to see them there. For a spectator it's not the winning or the losing that counts - its the taking part. For the players, it's different. If you lose consistently then there is cause for concern but that is not happening right now. My most disappointing time concerning The Dale was when I learned that our manager(s) had gone to Barnsley. I just hope and prey that those circumstances are not repeated. Carry on KH. Shut up you moaners. Enjoy the experience that we are experiencing now. The Championship is no good for Rochdale, evidence Yeovil's fall from grace. If The Dale can keep going steady in League 1, that will be an achievement in itself. But I must admit it would be a bonus to be in the play-offs and go to Wembley again.
50th anniversary next week on 13:17 - Dec 20 with 2010 viewsD_Alien

50th anniversary next week on 12:36 - Dec 20 by DaleView

LateAugust 1952: Rochdale 0 Crewe Alexandra 1. That was my first game (as a spectator) and I was thrilled to bits because it was a new experience and one that I continued over the following years. Last week at Swindon I left the ground with a sense of satisfaction because even with 10 men, The Dale worked their socks off and with a little bit of luck could have made a draw or even a win. When I hear words like "but never in those 50 years have I felt down after watching Dale win like I do now. Is that my fault? What's changed?" I can offer an answer. It's attitudes. D_Alien has changed. He has lost some of the thrill of being at a football match on a Saturday afternoon surrounded by his friends, chatting about what should/could have happened and not realizing that the players do their best and the manager does his best, which is much better than all the previous managers of Rochdale AFC have ever achieved since I have been watching them. If you don't play well and win 3 points, that's pretty good if you lose 2-1 and play very well, that gives me a good feeling too. Even though The Dale lost the Wembley play-off, that was a thrill just to see them there. For a spectator it's not the winning or the losing that counts - its the taking part. For the players, it's different. If you lose consistently then there is cause for concern but that is not happening right now. My most disappointing time concerning The Dale was when I learned that our manager(s) had gone to Barnsley. I just hope and prey that those circumstances are not repeated. Carry on KH. Shut up you moaners. Enjoy the experience that we are experiencing now. The Championship is no good for Rochdale, evidence Yeovil's fall from grace. If The Dale can keep going steady in League 1, that will be an achievement in itself. But I must admit it would be a bonus to be in the play-offs and go to Wembley again.

"D_Alien has changed. He has lost some of the thrill of being at a football match on a Saturday afternoon surrounded by his friends, chatting about what should/could have happened and not realizing that the players do their best and the manager does his best"

My post sets out how much I haven't changed; I could hardly have made it more clear. Oh well, never mind.

Poll: What are you planning to do v Newport

Login to get fewer ads

50th anniversary next week on 14:06 - Dec 20 with 1973 viewsmingthemerciless

Football has changed not you or me. I feel the same, a strange sort of alienation from the game.

It's the ridiculous wages, the divers and other cheats, beach wear shorts, technicolor boots, the negative formations etc. Referees getting conned into deciding the results of games. What a load of old bollocks. When I first started watching teams had five forwards and two fullbacks now they have five full backs and two forwards. Teams full of players who can run a lot, pass the ball a bit , tackle a bit , head the ball a bit but couldn't beat a man to save their lives.

The best " Dale team I saw had Norman Whitehead on one wing and Denis Butler on the the other with Big Reg and Tony Buck up the front. Billy Rudd just behind directing the traffic. Now they did give you a buzz at kick off time.

My first game - Crewe at a snow covered Spotland on the 29 th of Dec 1962. A 2-0 win in front of 3,596 hardy souls. Don Watson and Peter Phoenix were the scorers . I was only a lad but I reckoned Phoenix on the left wing and John Hardman at right half were our best.
50th anniversary next week on 14:16 - Dec 20 with 1961 viewsblackvincent

50th anniversary next week on 13:17 - Dec 20 by D_Alien

"D_Alien has changed. He has lost some of the thrill of being at a football match on a Saturday afternoon surrounded by his friends, chatting about what should/could have happened and not realizing that the players do their best and the manager does his best"

My post sets out how much I haven't changed; I could hardly have made it more clear. Oh well, never mind.

I thought your post was amazing D_Alien. Sums up my feelings entirely. I've a couple more years in but not many and look back with pride at the way we stuck at it over the years even when the traffic lights at the end of Sandy Lane were a more appealing spectacle during the dark days. Got a good view of them from where we stood in those days! These are golden times for the Dale and we need to cherish them. I don't often post on here but feel the need to do so in response to your post. It sums up the emotion perfectly, sport is a metaphor for life in many respects and we need to value what we have. Keith Hill is a personality and character. Thank God for the personalities and characters I say. This is part of what makes him what he is, without doubt the best thing that has ever happened to the Dale!! And long may he continue. Up the Dale!
50th anniversary next week on 17:32 - Dec 20 with 1881 viewsR17ALE

What an interesting thread. Even though I've only given a mere 33 years to the cause, I'll admit I don't get exactly the same buzz as I did in my teenage years. Thus, I also mirror virtually all the older respondents on this thread.

However, relationships change with time in all walks of life, so the football should be no different. Reading some replies you could almost switch Dale for the wife.

"it was great when we first started out together. She was lovely to look at, excited me in bed, and she's given me some great memories. But these days, 40 years on, she's not too good to look at, has started searching me when I get home, and she doesn't excite me at all. She's not keeping her fixture board up to date, and she slags me off to the in-laws for not being supportive enough, and booing in the bedroom when I can't have some. I'm not sure what I want from the relationship anymore."

I never thought I'd say this, but until now I was unaware that fans could go through a footballing menopause!

Although my initial buzz may not be as keen, I still look forward to matches and the chance to stand where I've always stood, with the same people who have always been there. Over the years, the club has given me every emotion I've ever felt, has provided me with wonderful acquaintances who I consider as friends, and has given me joy and anguish in spadefuls through the decades.

Long may it continue.

I occasionally wonder how dull my life would have been had I not met the club 33 years ago. Ask yourselves, if you could turn the clock back to the day of your first match, would you not have gone?

If you conclude no, then perhaps your time is up. If it's a yes, then keep enjoying it, keep positive and keep the hope. Enjoy the goals. Enjoy being amongst like-minded people who want to see the club do well. Don't let the menopause kill you!

Poll: Who do you think bury should appoint as their next manager?

50th anniversary next week on 17:35 - Dec 20 with 1871 viewsSuddenLad

50th anniversary next week on 17:32 - Dec 20 by R17ALE

What an interesting thread. Even though I've only given a mere 33 years to the cause, I'll admit I don't get exactly the same buzz as I did in my teenage years. Thus, I also mirror virtually all the older respondents on this thread.

However, relationships change with time in all walks of life, so the football should be no different. Reading some replies you could almost switch Dale for the wife.

"it was great when we first started out together. She was lovely to look at, excited me in bed, and she's given me some great memories. But these days, 40 years on, she's not too good to look at, has started searching me when I get home, and she doesn't excite me at all. She's not keeping her fixture board up to date, and she slags me off to the in-laws for not being supportive enough, and booing in the bedroom when I can't have some. I'm not sure what I want from the relationship anymore."

I never thought I'd say this, but until now I was unaware that fans could go through a footballing menopause!

Although my initial buzz may not be as keen, I still look forward to matches and the chance to stand where I've always stood, with the same people who have always been there. Over the years, the club has given me every emotion I've ever felt, has provided me with wonderful acquaintances who I consider as friends, and has given me joy and anguish in spadefuls through the decades.

Long may it continue.

I occasionally wonder how dull my life would have been had I not met the club 33 years ago. Ask yourselves, if you could turn the clock back to the day of your first match, would you not have gone?

If you conclude no, then perhaps your time is up. If it's a yes, then keep enjoying it, keep positive and keep the hope. Enjoy the goals. Enjoy being amongst like-minded people who want to see the club do well. Don't let the menopause kill you!

Amen to that.

“It is easier to fool people, than to convince them that they have been fooled”

50th anniversary next week on 18:28 - Dec 20 with 1825 viewsSalwaDale

Long may it continue.

Good post. I have a few years less than you. It doesn't half hurt on a Saturday afternoon when I'm 6000 miles away and listening to Martin and Stuart. Two days ago I was at the grand opening of a 60,000 seater stadium watching Del Piero, Beckham, Figo, Roberto Carlos and a few others. It was amazing but I'd much rather have been at Spotland.

I know how frustrated I get by the negativity I've often seen at Dale and I fully understand Hill's rant but it is pointless and counter-productive.

TBBT

50th anniversary next week on 18:31 - Dec 20 with 1819 views100notout

Long may it continue.

Fortunately you can divorce the wife but being a Dale fan is "till death us do part"

Poll: So who do you believe - Hendo or the Board?

50th anniversary next week on 20:03 - Dec 20 with 1760 viewsNigeriamark

Long may it continue.

Good post

Although the last 10 years are the best ever at the Dale in terms of full seasons, my individual match highlights were in the bad old days

Remember once beating Blackpool 2-0 away from home when their keeper pulled a muscle in the warm up. the match didn't mean much overall, but it was the first time we had won away for I think 18 months so it felt like we had won the cup.. The win at Crewe to get out of the bottom 4 and avoid re-election was another. Nowadays expectation is so much more especially amongst those who missed out on those bleak times

Also in those days you didn't have message boards and websites. As a result you tended to discuss games with the same small group of friends. Now you can get in discussions with people you don't know ( I probably only know who 5% of the message board are by their user names). Although a few posts get a bit out of hand, I think it is great to be able to discuss with a wider group and always find it interesting that 2 people seeing the same game can have totally opposite views on who played well, MOM, referee performance etc

1966/67 season was my first so almost 50 years. Hope I enjoy the next 50.
I still get enough of a buzz to see about 8 games a year even though not convenient
50th anniversary next week on 20:28 - Dec 20 with 1738 viewsMoonyDale

What a wonderful post D_Alien, sums up perfectly the way I feel this season. Saw my first game in 1968 and have been ever present since, up until a couple of months ago that is. It's not just me in isolation as the crowds are down and each stand has ever growing empty spaces. Have we all changed? Are we all wrong? Reading through the additions to this thread one comes across another superb post from R17, footballing menopause indeed.....I shall on Boxing day make my way up to the ground for only the third league game this season, see if I can shake this menopausal malaise out of my system. Thanks R17 for giving me the nudge........

Poll: Hill in or out? 2nd referendum.....

50th anniversary next week on 20:40 - Dec 20 with 1714 viewsTalkingSutty

Long may it continue.

The Club has given you every emotion you have ever felt?? Are you sure about that?

You visited Thailand didn't you?
50th anniversary next week on 20:40 - Dec 20 with 1714 viewsR17ALE

50th anniversary next week on 20:28 - Dec 20 by MoonyDale

What a wonderful post D_Alien, sums up perfectly the way I feel this season. Saw my first game in 1968 and have been ever present since, up until a couple of months ago that is. It's not just me in isolation as the crowds are down and each stand has ever growing empty spaces. Have we all changed? Are we all wrong? Reading through the additions to this thread one comes across another superb post from R17, footballing menopause indeed.....I shall on Boxing day make my way up to the ground for only the third league game this season, see if I can shake this menopausal malaise out of my system. Thanks R17 for giving me the nudge........

Not a problem MD. Happy to help with the counselling!

The irony of the whole situation in comparing the relationship to that of the wife, is that if you were instead to compare the wife to the club my quote would have read as follows....

"it was awful when we first started out together. She was rough to look at, boring in bed, and was giving me nothing but grief. But these days, 40 years on, she's not too bad to look at, has started goosing me when I get home, and she excites me. She's trying to keep her fixture board up to date, and although she doesn't appreciate where she is now to where she was when we met, I wouldn't change a thing. There's not many women who get better looking with age so I feel privileged to support her."

50th anniversary next week on 20:45 - Dec 20 with 1704 viewsR17ALE

50th anniversary next week on 20:40 - Dec 20 by TalkingSutty

The Club has given you every emotion you have ever felt?? Are you sure about that?

You visited Thailand didn't you?

Aye. Many times.

But in Thailand you don't feel despair, misery, helplessness, joy, pride, jealousy and so on.

Every night out you were guaranteed 3 points so to speak.

50th anniversary next week on 20:45 - Dec 20 with 1701 viewsTalkingSutty

50th anniversary next week on 18:28 - Dec 20 by SalwaDale

Good post. I have a few years less than you. It doesn't half hurt on a Saturday afternoon when I'm 6000 miles away and listening to Martin and Stuart. Two days ago I was at the grand opening of a 60,000 seater stadium watching Del Piero, Beckham, Figo, Roberto Carlos and a few others. It was amazing but I'd much rather have been at Spotland.

I know how frustrated I get by the negativity I've often seen at Dale and I fully understand Hill's rant but it is pointless and counter-productive.

Listening to Martin and Stuart from 5 miles away hurts, the distance is immaterial.*

* Tongue in Cheek, just to clear up any ambiguity.
50th anniversary next week on 00:31 - Dec 21 with 1599 viewsregjenkins

My first recollection of Dale games was 1964, black and white strip, full stadium, bus drivers stood under the floodlights at the pearl street end, lines of footy special buses cued up on Wilbuts lane. Over the years we had some good times, but mainly bad ones, but there was always the expectation that the team could pull something special out the bag. Like a small piece of history and that you may be a part of that history if you were at the match. Lately and although the team are unrecognizable from the past mid 1970's and beyond my expectancy has changed from expecting now't to expecting us to compete. In fairness the team generally achieve that but the atmosphere has changed from the all accepting to the all expecting. the place seems to have lost its us against the world outlook, I guess its just the times are a changing. It has taken the edge off some of the games for me which i find un explainable but true..

' I started out with nothing and i still got most of it left'

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024