Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
QPR Jan Transfer Pattern 12:50 - Jan 7 with 4516 viewsINFIRMARY

1. We buy a player that never gets a game from a lower league team

2. We wait until the last minute and pick up scraps and player/s that were not even on our radar to begin with

3. We get no one

4. We buy a has been

Poll: F@ck OFF Arry Now

QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 13:05 - Jan 7 with 4474 viewskingsburyR

What did Meatloaf sing?????

3 out of 4 ain't bad (well kind of)

Dont know why we bother. .... but we do!

QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 14:00 - Jan 7 with 4347 viewsadhoc_qpr

Some of our biggest successes and flops have been signed in January windows.

Successes - Routledge, Ravel Morrisson, Andros Townsend, Remy (maybe), Taiwo (for the rugby tackle alone)

Flops - Zarate, Samba, Diakite
QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 14:42 - Jan 7 with 4281 viewspeejaybee

Don't you just love this site.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If at first you dont succeed, pack up and f**k off home.

QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 16:02 - Jan 7 with 4178 viewsToast_R

QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 14:00 - Jan 7 by adhoc_qpr

Successes - Routledge, Ravel Morrisson, Andros Townsend, Remy (maybe), Taiwo (for the rugby tackle alone)

Jamie Cullip, Adam Bolder. Kept the club afloat that season.
QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 16:32 - Jan 7 with 4143 viewsIngham

These days what is true about the Rs - especially in January - is also funny. Which is nice, of course. In a way. Bluce Ree just reminding us about our FA Cup exploits, INFIRMARY about our guile and cunning in the transfer window.

Long after peejaybee burst upon the scene, I (dimly) remember us snapping up Brian Bedford for postage stamps. Come to think of it, snapping up Alec Stock. Getting a more or less discarded Les Allen - a certified mastermind (as a player) - for a hefty fee (for the club we were then), but a fee which would take us up two divisions and bring us our only major trophy.

And, of course, we added out of favour Marsh (Fulham Reserves) and then for donkeys years under Gregory (and for a few years after him), signing the likes of Parkes and Fenwick, Currie and Ferdinand, Seaman and Darren Peacock, Givens and so many others.

As well as producing them ourselves. A solid block of home grown players in those three sides of the sixties, seventies and eighties.

Of course, it's too easy to pick out the striking successes and forget the ones who weren't up to much, or who were just journeymen. But we landed a few good managers too. And the difference between then and today isn't imaginary.

Before then, as peejaybee well remembers, we only escaped the third flight once. And I never imagined we'd ever be out of it for long.

Clearly something was different. And in some ways, we had one foot in the past - the Club was always the small Club older supporters knew and recognised even under Gregory, whose used car salesman style seemed rather appropriate to our unpretentious ways.

The difference is clearly that since then, we've only talked the talk. And spent the spend. The people running the Club have mistaken being flash for being good, or for knowing what you're doing.

Then, we seemed shrewd. Selling Clive Allen for a fortune, and getting the player back for half that, was some deal, then selling him again for a huge fee. Picking up wise old heads like Allen, Currie and Wilkins, to perpetuate our often impressive over-performing.

But we were always the little guys. When we were good, we were still small, even in 1976. Now we're no bigger, and no better, we just have a reputation as failed big spenders.

And, given some of our players and managers quite decent records at other Clubs, a Club which seems more adept at turning silk purses into sow's ears.

Before Gregory, we knew what we were. We still knew it when he came along, but we found we had someone with talent, or who knew talent when he saw it.

But who also knew what the limitations were. We SOLD players like Marsh and Parkes and Ferdinand for big money. We signed them for next to nothing.

Once they were big, they would leave. We knew that. But we had the next bargain, or the next handful of youth players somewhere in mind, or in the pipeline.

After Les Allen, Currie. After Marsh, Bowles. After Clive Allen, Bannister.

Once, we did manage to make dreams come true (but it was almost unknown for our first 40 years in the league). We knew it was rare, and even under Gregory, we went back to basics to rebuild as each of our good teams broke up.

Now, we talk about dreams because that's what advertisers do. We don't make them come true.

Perhaps the more interesting question is 'are we actually trying?' Once, we struggled in the Cup because we were a small, usually struggling Club.

Perhaps it is time to admit that that never changed. We've always been small, always struggling. Gregory - I'm not sure what it was exactly that he had, but it was remarkable in our history - brought us the only thing that can make us anything other than struggling.

Talent. An understanding of the game. Not just what to say. But knowing what to do. And we remember well that there was a good deal of trial and error in his arrangements too.
QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 16:39 - Jan 7 with 4124 viewsSimonJames

Hardly Zárate's fault if we never really bothered to use him. Seems to have done ok for Wet Spam this season.

100% of people who drink water will die.

QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 11:43 - Jan 8 with 3935 viewsLush1664

I think you've hit the nail right on the head Ing's and I was reminded of our climb up the Divisions by the excellent DVD 'I believe in Miracles' charting the rise of Cloughie's Forest side of the late 70's. There were a huge number of parallels between our story and theirs - only theirs had a happier ending, we fell at the last hurdle where they went on to League, Cup and European glory.

Under Jim Gregory, a proper football club chairman right down to his stereotypical sheepskin coat, we knew who we were, a small club with big ideas but a club that knew the limits of it's catchment area, size of it's fanbase, the limits of its ground and turnstile income then cut it's cloth accordingly. Blending a mix of the unruly genius (Marsh, Bowles) with home grown talent (Leach, Gillard, Clement) and bolstered with the footballing nous of the imported ageing stars (Hollins, Webb, McLintock).

It was a formula that worked and whilst still a small club with a gate capacity then of sub-30,000 we were able to give the likes of Liverpool, Everton, Man City etc a shock and a bloody nose with attractive, entertaining, skilful football. There was no talk then of buying our way to the top, dream new 40,000 plus stadiums, we knew who we were and revelled in it - a cocky little club from our pokey little ground in an unfashionable corner of W12 who always had a bit of swagger!

There is no point in us trying to be anything other than what we are and that hasn't changed in all the years since. We need management that primarily understands football, secondly our history and make-up and thirdly wants to build a club that is comfortable in it's skin and surroundings and that is Loftus Rd, London W12, forget going elsewhere.

Once you have these in place you develop the footballing side along the old formula of home grown youth, properly scouted imports and maybe even the odd maverick again - we actually showed we can still do it to a degree with Joey Barton!

I firmly believe we can restore our historic position in football where we were a good little club, financially sound, generally liked (and followed by many as a second club incidentally) and playing good football rather than where we are now, seen as one long car crash of M25 pile up proportions, a poisoned chalice for managers, dumping ground for mediocre, overpaid players and supported by a bunch of malicious old masochists!!

I still believe in miracles - Wembley showed they do happen!
QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 12:13 - Jan 8 with 3917 viewsdodge_stoke_r

QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 11:43 - Jan 8 by Lush1664

I think you've hit the nail right on the head Ing's and I was reminded of our climb up the Divisions by the excellent DVD 'I believe in Miracles' charting the rise of Cloughie's Forest side of the late 70's. There were a huge number of parallels between our story and theirs - only theirs had a happier ending, we fell at the last hurdle where they went on to League, Cup and European glory.

Under Jim Gregory, a proper football club chairman right down to his stereotypical sheepskin coat, we knew who we were, a small club with big ideas but a club that knew the limits of it's catchment area, size of it's fanbase, the limits of its ground and turnstile income then cut it's cloth accordingly. Blending a mix of the unruly genius (Marsh, Bowles) with home grown talent (Leach, Gillard, Clement) and bolstered with the footballing nous of the imported ageing stars (Hollins, Webb, McLintock).

It was a formula that worked and whilst still a small club with a gate capacity then of sub-30,000 we were able to give the likes of Liverpool, Everton, Man City etc a shock and a bloody nose with attractive, entertaining, skilful football. There was no talk then of buying our way to the top, dream new 40,000 plus stadiums, we knew who we were and revelled in it - a cocky little club from our pokey little ground in an unfashionable corner of W12 who always had a bit of swagger!

There is no point in us trying to be anything other than what we are and that hasn't changed in all the years since. We need management that primarily understands football, secondly our history and make-up and thirdly wants to build a club that is comfortable in it's skin and surroundings and that is Loftus Rd, London W12, forget going elsewhere.

Once you have these in place you develop the footballing side along the old formula of home grown youth, properly scouted imports and maybe even the odd maverick again - we actually showed we can still do it to a degree with Joey Barton!

I firmly believe we can restore our historic position in football where we were a good little club, financially sound, generally liked (and followed by many as a second club incidentally) and playing good football rather than where we are now, seen as one long car crash of M25 pile up proportions, a poisoned chalice for managers, dumping ground for mediocre, overpaid players and supported by a bunch of malicious old masochists!!

I still believe in miracles - Wembley showed they do happen!

Ahhhhhhh. Isn't it eh? Mmmmmmmmm. Young boys, jeans tucked in their socks. 18 a side. Scoreline of 23 -17. Mum shouts, "time for tea". Ahhhhh jumpers for goalposts.
Login to get fewer ads

QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 12:15 - Jan 8 with 3906 viewsrobith

How's the ticket touting going? Returns must be down this year
QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 13:53 - Jan 8 with 3855 viewsINFIRMARY

Went well in Prem got all my money back , thanks for asking much appreciated

Poll: F@ck OFF Arry Now

QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 14:34 - Jan 8 with 3825 viewswhittocksRs

Taiwo's face tackle is probably my single happiest moment as a QPR fan, which is weird as it happened in probably the worst season I can remember.
QPR Jan Transfer Pattern on 15:01 - Jan 8 with 3791 views1MoreBrightonR

anyone got a link to this tackle?
About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024