Please log in or register. Registered visitors get fewer ads.
Forum index | Previous Thread | Next thread
Just back - Steadying the Ship 17:58 - Sep 1 with 10683 viewsBirminghamR

Ok, so the last game I saw was the WBA one - so its all an immense improvement...of course!!!!
We were clearly the better team here but Blues were truly abject. I remember when Gary Monk was a fresh up and coming manager playing ambitious and exciting football with Swansea...Gary, what has happened?
Few points of note -
Lumley looked assured except for one high cross which came in the first half which went across goal without being claimed or touched.
Angel - you can see all the experience here.
Defence generally - 2 clean sheets on the spin - they look so much happier not having to do the tippy tappy. Although tbf they did pass into midfield when they could - as well as going long at times. McLaren had the knack of getting a tight defence when he was here under Arry - might this become more than a couple of happy coincidences? Much too early to say - because we were under no quality pressure today. Just don't get me hoping...
Freeman - tries things just not his day.Same with Eze.
On another day we might have sneaked a 0-1 and that would not have flattered.
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 18:09 - Sep 1 with 7799 viewsted_hendrix

Good stuff mate, thanks for the write up.

My Father had a profound influence on me, he was a lunatic.

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 18:14 - Sep 1 with 7764 viewsbosh67

The squad getting 2 wins and a draw in a week will make the place feel better, including 2 clean sheets. Onwards and upwards hopefully. We still need to play with more width.

Never knowingly right.
Poll: How long before new signings become quivering wrecks of the players they were?

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 18:26 - Sep 1 with 7674 viewsBrianMcCarthy

Sounds good. Thanks for the write-up, BirminghamR, as Ted says.

"The opposite of love, after all, is not hate, but indifference."
Poll: Player of the Year (so far)

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 18:45 - Sep 1 with 7517 views08olesen

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 18:14 - Sep 1 by bosh67

The squad getting 2 wins and a draw in a week will make the place feel better, including 2 clean sheets. Onwards and upwards hopefully. We still need to play with more width.

I agree. Playing wing players would help.

Poll: Who will the other play off

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 20:44 - Sep 1 with 7044 viewsmylot50years

Not a bad performance in general but Luongo's distribution and all out effort once again left a lot to be desired, he needs to be dropped and PRONTO.
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 21:07 - Sep 1 with 6902 viewscorse

Lynch and bidwell did well today as did rangel. Leistner deserves a tap on the shoulder. Very good today and not shy going forward despite the obivious lack of pace. Having Cousins in the team is like playin with nine men and add Luongos poor form into that its like playin with eight and half players. Hemed and Wells did show some good moves and will learn how to play together. Freeman was ok as was Eze but i think Eze should release the ball earlier sometimes and not try to dribble 3 players. He is not that good yet. Same goes to Freeman. And we are still shy of keeping the ball in the midfield when there is no hurry to pass it. Abn when we pass it its usually backwards or just put it somewhere towards opponent goal into space where there isnt any of our players. Lumley did command the defence well and was quite good if not counting the one mistake that flew over his hands. I think he is better keeper than Ingram. Overall i think the defence, keeper,forwards are being slowly sorted but our midfield lacks creativity and....skill? Thats how i saw it. Not satisfied with Mclarens subs. There were 3 points to take and i would have replaced Cousins and Luongo with Smyth and Pavel and could have gone for it. But i do understand Mclarens need to secure a point.
[Post edited 1 Sep 2018 21:42]
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 21:33 - Sep 1 with 6759 views2Thomas2Bowles

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 21:07 - Sep 1 by corse

Lynch and bidwell did well today as did rangel. Leistner deserves a tap on the shoulder. Very good today and not shy going forward despite the obivious lack of pace. Having Cousins in the team is like playin with nine men and add Luongos poor form into that its like playin with eight and half players. Hemed and Wells did show some good moves and will learn how to play together. Freeman was ok as was Eze but i think Eze should release the ball earlier sometimes and not try to dribble 3 players. He is not that good yet. Same goes to Freeman. And we are still shy of keeping the ball in the midfield when there is no hurry to pass it. Abn when we pass it its usually backwards or just put it somewhere towards opponent goal into space where there isnt any of our players. Lumley did command the defence well and was quite good if not counting the one mistake that flew over his hands. I think he is better keeper than Ingram. Overall i think the defence, keeper,forwards are being slowly sorted but our midfield lacks creativity and....skill? Thats how i saw it. Not satisfied with Mclarens subs. There were 3 points to take and i would have replaced Cousins and Luongo with Smyth and Pavel and could have gone for it. But i do understand Mclarens need to secure a point.

That bloody Washington hanging around like a bad smell

When willl this CV nightmare end
Poll: What will the result of the GE be

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 21:43 - Sep 1 with 6708 viewsconnell10

Pisst......Wash has gone.... just saying like mate!

AND WHEN I DREAM , I DREAM ABOUT YOU AND WHEN I SCREAM I SCREAM ABOUT YOU!!!!!
Poll: best number 10 ever?

Login to get fewer ads

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 21:45 - Sep 1 with 6694 viewscorse

What was i thinking...Freeman of course. I put the blame on two bottles of white wine.
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 22:13 - Sep 1 with 6553 viewsBirminghamR

I agree with what you say corse. I don't like Cousins too much - lots of running but when you assess it, it doesn't amount to a whole heap of anything - just covering space, no killer balls, no runs to get up to the forwards, nothing unexpected. Couple of times today, he could have played it forward with urgency but chose less ambitious "keep the ball moving" type options.
Think Hemed and Wells could grow to link pretty well together - some positive signs today imho.
Please, please, please lets get some breadth at least off the bench...It provides a different and pacier wide option to Eze and Freeman - neither of whom are natural out wide. Game was crying out for BOS or little Smyth.
With abit more midfield urgency (Lumley also v slow at times) and positive subs we could have got a closer shot at 3 points - now 6 points on the tablke would look a whole lot brighter...
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 22:18 - Sep 1 with 6513 viewsBoston

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 21:45 - Sep 1 by corse

What was i thinking...Freeman of course. I put the blame on two bottles of white wine.

How Britain has changed, you'd never see white wine on sale at St Andrews when I was a kid.

Poll: Thank God The Seaons Over.

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 22:21 - Sep 1 with 6501 viewsBirminghamR

Good to see they still have the Bovril at St Andrews, alongside the pork scratchings.
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 22:31 - Sep 1 with 6456 viewsStanisgod

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 22:13 - Sep 1 by BirminghamR

I agree with what you say corse. I don't like Cousins too much - lots of running but when you assess it, it doesn't amount to a whole heap of anything - just covering space, no killer balls, no runs to get up to the forwards, nothing unexpected. Couple of times today, he could have played it forward with urgency but chose less ambitious "keep the ball moving" type options.
Think Hemed and Wells could grow to link pretty well together - some positive signs today imho.
Please, please, please lets get some breadth at least off the bench...It provides a different and pacier wide option to Eze and Freeman - neither of whom are natural out wide. Game was crying out for BOS or little Smyth.
With abit more midfield urgency (Lumley also v slow at times) and positive subs we could have got a closer shot at 3 points - now 6 points on the tablke would look a whole lot brighter...

Cousins, the midfield version of Washington.

It's being so happy that keeps me going.

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 22:53 - Sep 1 with 6358 viewsdanehoop

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 22:31 - Sep 1 by Stanisgod

Cousins, the midfield version of Washington.

Is he our new boo boy now Washington has gone?

Never knowingly understood

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 23:01 - Sep 1 with 6311 viewsCiderwithRsie

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 22:53 - Sep 1 by danehoop

Is he our new boo boy now Washington has gone?

Yes. Snatched it from Ingram.
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 23:03 - Sep 1 with 6303 viewsTacticalR

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 23:01 - Sep 1 by CiderwithRsie

Yes. Snatched it from Ingram.

Players need to be able to fill in any position.

Air hostess clique

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 23:05 - Sep 1 with 6295 viewsVancouverHoop

Cousins was no worse – nor better – than Luongo today AFAICS. Both had the ball flying over their head most of the time.
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 23:11 - Sep 1 with 6259 viewsSuffolk

The John Smith's was wrank. MOM the Birmingham Belly Brothers - fair play to them providing the entertainment.
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 23:28 - Sep 1 with 6186 viewsCliveWilsonSaid

"just covering space, no killer balls, no runs to get up to the forwards, nothing unexpected"

That's the best report i've heard for Cousins yet I think.

In other words. Didn't do much wrong. Didn't get injured.

Poll: Expectations for this season?

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 00:26 - Sep 2 with 6021 viewsWatford_Ranger

Just back - Steadying the Ship on 23:28 - Sep 1 by CliveWilsonSaid

"just covering space, no killer balls, no runs to get up to the forwards, nothing unexpected"

That's the best report i've heard for Cousins yet I think.

In other words. Didn't do much wrong. Didn't get injured.

The bloke has no actual skills. No real ‘engine’, not able to dictate a game with better passing than anyone else, not an enforcer type to protect the defence, doesn’t score or ever get in a position to do so. Just a budget Jenas- waste of space.
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 00:57 - Sep 2 with 5943 viewsRangersw12

Awful first half which nothing really happened

2nd half much better and we missed a couple of decent chances Freeman especially but after bout 70 mins we seemed to settle for a point

we were crying out for some pace to stretch them even more but instead took the strikers off

We clearly have a massive mental block away from home and don't believe in ourselves enough
[Post edited 2 Sep 2018 1:00]
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 01:57 - Sep 2 with 5845 viewstimcocking

No Bright-Samuel. Christ.
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 08:37 - Sep 2 with 5351 viewsthemodfather

a good point, away....as said, steadying the ship and something to build on.
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 09:37 - Sep 2 with 5177 viewsBirminghamR

The Jordan Cousins debate
No, lets NOT give him the boo boy treatment. Unlike some players I've seen pull on the hoops, Jordan has the skill, engine and capacity to be more than he appears at the moment.He hasn't to my knowledge given anything less than 100%. Anyway covering space, closing down his man is a positive contribution - a 5/6 if you like. I can see it - the guy has it in him to go above and beyond. Does he need arm round the shoulder or apt word in ear from McLaren? That's what you get paid for Shteeve. Or perhaps he just needs the management to give him the license to do his stuff more creatively - knowing that Scowen,Lluongo, Freeman, Hall will tuck in and cover the space. You don't shoot a man for diligently staying at his post, following orders.
So, NO lets reserve our boos for the overpaid wnkrs who come in and don't give a toss - SWP, Bosingwa, Hateley, Barton...
Just back - Steadying the Ship on 09:45 - Sep 2 with 5147 viewsBlackCrowe

Sorry no dice, we need a boo boy. Doesn't have to be Jordan though. I had earmarked Ingram but annoyingly he's been dropped. Keeping a close eye on Bet Lynch though.

Poll: Kitchen threads or polls?

About Us Contact Us Terms & Conditions Privacy Cookies Advertising
© FansNetwork 2024